Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - Fifa10
Thread: Fifa10
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2010, 07:17 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #38
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula View Post
You have to ride your luck to win a knock out competition. Spain looked much better every time they brought on Fabregas, he should have started.
Haven't got a problem with Spain being lucky, just think they were more lucky than good, yet the press are eulogising their playing style. It's a damning indictment that so far I've asked lots of people if they agree that Spain were better in the Euros than the World Cup and so far nobody has disagreed. That Spain side was a beautiful one.

I do agree Spain were better when Fabregas was on, because he brought the sort of directness that Brad talks about which the Germans had and Spain did not. One of my friends suggested Tiki-Taka was the new Catenaccio, as Spain just suffocate the opposition, pass around them until they tire and then latch onto the mistakes. Think that's true.

How often was more than one Spaniard in the box? Hell, how often were more than three in the final third?

Don't get me wrong, the tactic worked, but I'm sick of people saying this Spain side are great to watch or attacking (they're not). Their playing style is primarily defensive; they keep the ball, yes, but the main reason they do this is because without the ball the opposition can't score. There was little of the incisive cut-throat passing that they are capable of, that we've seen from this same bunch of players before, yet everybody's creaming their pants.

Spain won, and congratulations to them. But they didn't play well, nor are they an attacking side.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote