Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - What movie have you seen today?
View Single Post
Old 16-05-2008, 11:15 PM   Senior Registered Member #1505
Richard
Dated

To Hell and Back (1955) -- After the death of his mother, a country boy finds himself in need of money to support his brothers and sisters. He decides to join the service (sending his monthly pay back home), but gets rejected by two military branches. He finally ends up enlisting in the army, only to become the most decorated soldier in military history by the war's end. I'm talking about Audie Murphy, of course. Based on his autobiography, this movie is a basic retelling of his experiences during the service. I'm sure this film doesn't do Murphy's heroics justice, but for a movie made back in 1955 it is what you can expect from Hollywood. It is not a very well made war picture, but it's a decent introduction into this man's life. Recommended for war film aficionados.

Law of the Tropics (1941) -- Constance Bennett and Jeffrey Lynn star in this romantic B-movie set in South America. Lynn works at a rubber plantation eagerly awaiting the arrival of his fiancÚ back in the states. He learns, through a cable, that she won't be coming at all and announces the end of their relationship. Lynn, brokenhearted, visits a nightclub afterward and meets Bennett, a singer with a criminal past. The two concoct a plan to satisfy each other's needs but then soon discover they're falling in love. Not a very good movie, but Bennett is breathtakingly beautiful in this. (My beanpole! -- I'm gonna start calling her that too!) As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for Bennett this movie would have been a complete snooze for me. I had trouble trying to stay awake during the last 20 minutes.

Until They Sail (1957) -- An interesting film starring Jean Simmons, Joan Fontaine, Piper Laurie and Paul Newman. It is also the movie debut of Sandra Dee. Set in a New Zealand town during WWII, all the native men are enlisted and our four key women seem to be eager for the sight of any man. Soon enough the Americans are stationed in their town and each of the three ladies end up marrying one in a hurry. Most of the time the film alternates between these characters, giving us a little insight into their lives as a couple. This is basically the story to the movie. It is charactor-driven, and for those of you who like that sort of thing, you might enjoy it. Directed by Robert Wise.

Trapeze (1956) -- Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis star as a trapaze act in this film directed Carol Reed. Set in Paris, Curtis asks for the help of former flyer Lancaster to achieve the near impossible; a triple. Lancaster, however, has since retired to a rigger after a foot injury left him with a limp and is now seen walking with a cane. Curtis plays a hothead acrobat, albeit a great one, who arrives at the Paris arena and irritates Lancaster until he finally gives in and decides to teach him, with Curtis as the flyer and him as the catcher. A female circus performer, played by Gina Lollobrigida, is thrown into the act, causing a stir between the two men, leading them to vie for her affection. Soon, Lancaster realizes she is a distraction to Curtis' concentration, thus interrupting the intricate process needed for achieving their amazing feat. This is the finest circus film I've ever seen. An impressive display of awe-inspiring stunts performed here, folks. Seeing is believing. Watch it. Lancaster is fantastic as always, and Curtis does a fine job as the ambitious performer.

Last edited by Richard; 17-05-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote