Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - The Readers' Corner
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2008, 03:56 PM   Senior Registered Member #52
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

yes, yes, I'm bumping my own thread. Sue me.

Here are the books I've read so far:

"Memoirs of Cleopatra", by Margaret George. Absolutely amazing. It's divided into two volumes, and I've only read the first (haven't found the second one yet ), but it's so beautifully written you just can't put it down. Mindblowing reconstruction and descriptions of Alexandria, the Nile and the towns beside it, Rome, every temple you can imagine, the Palace, the Circus, Roman and Egyptian culture and customs (including food, clothes and decoration!) Caesar's home, every character's belongings and personality....it's a work of art.

I finally got around to reading "A Clockwork Orange" and liked it very much, though I still prefer "A Brave New World" if you'd ask me to choose.

Read "Atonement" and loved it; my sister left me a book by Mario Vargas Llosa called "Travesuras de la Niña Mala" ("mischiefs of the Bad Girl"), not his most famous work but the latest, somewhat crude and shocking but still addictive; and I'm reading Jorge Luis Borges' famed "The Aleph". Very confusing style, over and over you keep finding sentences that seem like pure nonsense when parted word by word but actually mean something, or many things. Really strong.

I'm finishing "Pride & Prejudice" (Elles of the world, rejoice ) and yes, I'm loving it. I guess when I first picked it up I was too young to understand it, hence the initial dislike. But so far my favourite characters are Darcy and Mr. Bennet. Wonderful

Also in the works is "I, Richard", by Elizabeth George. They're five tales of murder/suspense, and even if they aren't superb, I like her voice.

A family friend lent me "The Lives of the muses", by Francine Prose, and I can't wait to start it. It focuses on nine women who inspired certain artists, from Gala and Salvador Dalí to Alice Liddel and Lewis Carroll, etc.

And last but not least on my night table is "The uses of enchantment: the meaning and importance of fairy tales", by Bruno Bettelheim. Psychoanalisis of "Little Red Riding Hood", "Hansel and Gretel" and the likes? Yes, please!

Have you read anything good lately? Any suggestions?
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote