Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - Patriotism. Second try.
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
AureaMediocritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira lover View Post

We have troops in Iraq. We can not give up. AureaMediocritas, what you r saying, is that Al Qaeda is a benevolent, moral organization. People who kill 3,000 inocent americans are terrorists. These insurgents are al qaeda, the same as those on 9/11. They are TERRORISTS, not freedom fighters. to call them as such, you are saying you hate America. And, as i will say till I die, the 2003 Invasion of Iraq was justified based on the intelligence available at the time.
Hmmmm.
In short, you didnīt get it.
What you so fervently call "terrorists" can be heroes in other peopleīs opinion. Insurgents are not "Al-Qaida". "Al-Qaida" is a lovely mediatic word to shock Westerners as it is associated with a sophisticated monster operating on the whole planet. For example, you might know that Al-Qaida is a Sunni organization, opposed to the other confessional minority, the Shia : for example in Pakistan almost 80% of the population is Sunni, with 15-20% being Shia. In Iraq, insurgent militias, both Sunni and Shia, fight each other as much as the occupation forces. So donīt repeat your presidentīs error to see everything in black and white (like telling the world that "from now on youīre either with us or the terrorists", what a horrible fascistic phrase!).
Just because someone decides to oppose your country doesnīt mean heīs objectively wrong. Subjectively, this someone is the incarnation of evil for most Americans as theyīre "enemies". An "enemy"īs cause is automatically a wrong cause, isnīt it ?
In my opinion, ordinary people trying to kick out the western troops in Iraq have a more valuable cause than the cowards of 11 th September. For the reasons I - in vain as it appears - tried to explain.
As you seem to like manichean WWII talk, Iīd simplify saying that in my opinion, Western troops in Iraq are the Germans, insurgence being "Partizans".
I hope that helps. Although for someone so deeply convinced of the good cause of the invasion, I fear it wonīt have much impact .