Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - The Readers' Corner
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #14
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula View Post
In progress:

I'm not one for reading just one book at a time so here are the ones I have on the go currently.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

On the few occasions I have been forced to read Shakespeare or endure sitting through one of the plays I have been bored and uninterested and so I have generally just avoided his work. My interest was however, awakened following the viewing of a tv show about a Canadian theatre festival. Now on the surface this sounds like a recipe for rampant snobbery and boredom, it is actually fucking brilliant. It is called Slings & Arrows and in my not at all humble opinion it is one of the finest television shows ever created (watch it bitches).

So I thought I should give old WS another go and so I've started reading Hamlet. Seems pretty good so far.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austin:

Haven't got very far but what I've read I've enjoyed. I loved Pride & Prejudice so I reckon I will enjoy this.

Next up:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon:

Finally taking the aforementioned advice of Mags (where are you?)
You must be in my head or something.

Anyway, I was posting to say that I have the same thing with Shakespeare. I have majored (more or less) in literature, among other random stuff, and I'd never read anything more than a few pages of Shakespeare. I felt kind of bad, so when I came across a giant collection of all his works for just six shiny euros (kindly donated by Liam), I decided to give it a go. I'm reading the Merchant of Venice currently, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Also, Northanger Abbey is quite possibly my favourite Jane Austen novel so far. The main character has everything Elizabeth Bennett I love, and then some more that's Catherine Morland's own. Loved it. I read it after failing to get into Mansfield Park for the umpteenth time - and I finished it quick smart.