Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - The Readers' Corner
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #13
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Just finished:

Mindhunter by John Douglas

This is a great but pretty disturbing book about criminal profiling and serial killers by a former FBI profiler (think Silence of the Lambs). Totally gripping.

Sea Harrier Over The Falklands by Cmdr. 'Sharkey' Ward:

Another first hand account, this time of the air war during the Falklands conflict by a Sea Harrier Squadron Commander. Fascinating study of modern air warfare and simply a great tale. You just can't make this shit up.

In progress:

I'm not one for reading just one book at a time so here are the ones I have on the go currently.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

On the few occasions I have been forced to read Shakespeare or endure sitting through one of the plays I have been bored and uninterested and so I have generally just avoided his work. My interest was however, awakened following the viewing of a tv show about a Canadian theatre festival. Now on the surface this sounds like a recipe for rampant snobbery and boredom, it is actually fucking brilliant. It is called Slings & Arrows and in my not at all humble opinion it is one of the finest television shows ever created (watch it bitches).

So I thought I should give old WS another go and so I've started reading Hamlet. Seems pretty good so far.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austin:

Haven't got very far but what I've read I've enjoyed. I loved Pride & Prejudice so I reckon I will enjoy this.

The Utility of Force by Rupert Smith:

Rupert Smith is a retired British General and this is basically his thoughts on the roots and realities of modern warfare. I would say it is the most important work on warfare since that of John Boyd (look him up) and before him Von Clausewitz (if you have to look him up then shame on you). Required reading for anyone interested in current affairs.

Next up:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon:

Finally taking the aforementioned advice of Mags (where are you?)
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote