Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - V for Vendetta! (SPOILERS)
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #19
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
Heh, I didn't know she took off the mask in the GN. At a comic forum they're arguing about the same thing, and no one seemed to mention that. Madness.

Awesome banner, Leonie. Do you care if I save it?
Not at all, I'm flattered

As for the mask - and this is just my interpretation - I think the fact that the whole town rocks up with Guy Fawkes masks is enough of a symbol to show that hope and the want for freedom live, though V does not. Moreover, hope and the want for freedom are more widespread than they ever were during V's life.

Evey agreed with V's fight for freedom, but not with the way he went about achieving it, so I think it's only suitable she does not just take on his mask. She isn't as bitter. As a matter of fact, I think it's her relative hopefulness that makes her the right person to take over the reigns. Now that BNT and the fascist government are out of the picture, someone with so much hate and violence in the very thread of their being wouldn't be the right person to lead the way. Evey's lack of such a past makes her a better symbol of hope for the future. With V's death, and the staying behind of the mask, a new future is possible, one where people will not have to hide their faces in order to stand up for what they believe in.

Evey's last few lines in the film, where she says V was her dad, her mum, her brother and everyone would have made no sense had she taken off the mask and shown his face to the world. Secondly, I'm not sure if I would have been able to keep my dinner down had she taken off the mask :P