Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - On love
Thread: On love
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2005, 08:38 PM   Officer #5
DragonRat
Officer

How old are you?

If you're only in your teens, then you have no idea what it means to love another in that respect. I'm sorry to say that, but I've gone through the same, meaningless and empty circumstances, in which I may believe that I'm in love with someone, yet it's impossible to figure it out. One thing to note, though: if you question your love for someone, then you don't really love the person. Many people say that, when you love someone, you just know. There has never been a substantial attempt at philosophically discussing the technicalities of love (simply because the emotions are too difficult and too illogical).

Loving someone for the wrong reasons is something peculiar. What are the wrong reasons? If you love the person... just because... then that's a wrong reason. Sometimes, it's important to realize exactly what about the person drives you to the heights of Olympus and the depths of Hades. Is it her appearance? Her personality? Her charm? Her wit? Her everything?

To love someone for the right reasons... how does one know what's right? We are the only species ever (in our history) to conceive such things as 'right' or 'love'. How does one know what to do? Milan Kundera once wrote in The Unbearable Lightness of Being:

"There is no means of testing which decision is better, because there is no basis for comparison. We live everything as it comes, without warning, like an actor going on cold. And what can life be worth if the first rehearsal for life is life itself? That is why life is always like a sketch. No, 'sketch' is not quite the word, because a sketch is an outline of something, the groundwork for a picture, whereas the sketch that is our life is a sketch for nothing, an outline with no picture.
"Einmal ist keinmal, says Tomas to himself. What happens but once, says the German adage, might as well not have happened at all. If we have only one life to live, we might as well not have lived at all."

What I do suggest, though, is to embrace how you both feel about each other, and just go with it. Sometimes, there's no need to question why. As humans, we don't have the ability to reason; rather, we have the ability to rationalize. And with things such as 'love' and the emotions, it's perhaps best not to rationalize about it. Simply accept it, and be happy.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote