Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - Concerning Avatars
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightfreak
resizing an avatar takes how long? 1min
You're right about everything else but I really wish people would stop going on about how little time it takes to resize. The gripe wasn't about the effort it takes to resize but about the effect resizing has on the image.

Quote:
The reason I want the size to be raised to 100x100 is because I make LiveJournal icons that are that size like these. Many of those LJ icons have details that are ruined if resized..
See? (Incidentally it's not about use on another forum, but the fact that 100x100 is standard on LJ and lots of people use LJ, far more than visit KKW, in fact. If anything 100x100 has become a bit of a standard size because of that. Most avatars I find online are 100x100, I just resize them).

I mean I resized my avatar, I didn't particularly mind the time, however the fact that the quality was reduced a little pissed me off a bit. Not enough to make a big deal out of it, but I can understand the point that's being made, which has nothing to do with how long it takes to resize or how much effort (or lack thereof) but more to do with the quality of the final product.

However as Liam pointed out the quality improvement would come at a cost and if that cost (the extra bandwidth) would mean the site being down for any length of time it's not worth doing. If it can be done without a significant extra cost in terms of bandwidth, then I think it's a good move, as 100x100 has become pretty much a web standard, but if it can't, then so what? We'll be a bit different and leave it as is for the good of the site