Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - What movie have you seen today?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #85
Richard
Dated

From the weekend.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) This film is more popular than I thought. It kinda makes me feel bad when I say it was just ALRIGHT, and I didn't really think of it as anything even remotely special. It started off a little dull but quickly started to get interesting. Some scenes were exhilarating to watch considering when the film was made and how efficient it was shot by director John Frankheimer. I'm gonna watch this movie again, with the hope of catching up with the rest of the world and realizing that 'maybe' this could be one of the best films ever made. Co-stars Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) A nice little british comedy starring Alec Guinness. I liked it. Co-stars Stanley Holloway and Sid James.

Murder By Death (1976) A really good black comedy starring Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness, David Niven, Peter Falk, and Truman Capote. It's a spoof on some of the most popular detective films ever made. Such as The Thin Man series with Nick And Nora Charles, but this time, it's Dick and Dora Charleston... getting it now? The comicalness this movie has is so genuine you really have to pay close attention to everything being said to fully understand and appreciate it. **Highly Recommended**

Naked Gun 33 1/3 : The Final Insult (1994) Really bad. Almost forced comedy and really is the last straw for the Naked Gun series. Although pathetic, it does have some nice comic bits, but overall... it just doesn't work. The original is classic.

Christopher Strong (1933) Good. Mediocre at best. It's the first film I've seen Katharine Hepburn die in, which is sad. Not much to say really, she looked great.

Undercurrent (1946) Really good, much better than the above. It offered a different role I wasn't too familiar in seeing someone like Katharine Hepburn play in. Good movie, with good suspenseful moments. Vincente Minnelli made them very effective.

The Lion In Winter (1968) Amazing. Magnificent. I don't care if it was inaccurate or not. I was, at times, laughing more than anything else. It was so witty in a way I wasn't expecting. I really enjoyed it, even when at first I thought I wasn't going to understand a word of it. Hepburn deserved that Oscar.

Dragon Seed (1944) One of my favorite films starring Katharine Hepburn, but it does have a flaw. It's not her appearance that bothered me, but her attempt to sound like a Japanese woman... she didn't really. At times it showed, but I sensed her American accent more times than I should. In one particular scene, when she and her husband are in her room and she blows out a candle, everything is dimmed except a silhouette of both her and her husband. Now, if anyone were to tune into this movie at exactly this point in the film, the viewer will have no idea that Hepburn's character Jade is Japanese. She sounded even like an American during that scene and it bothered me. Although, I may be wrong. For all I know, some Japanese women could sound more like Americans. It's still a great movie, in my opinion. Decent story too.