Keira Knightley.com Forums - View Single Post - Communism: Good or Bad?
View Single Post
Old 15-09-2004, 11:43 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #8
Leonie
Elle

Communism... Good or bad?

"And I said do you believe we are fundamentally judgmental, fundamentally evil? And you said yes. I said 'I don't believe in revenge, in right or wrong, good or bad'. You said 'But what about the man that I saw handcuffed in the emergency room? Bleeding after beating his kid, she threw a shoe at his head. And I think what he did was wrong, and I would have had a hard time feeling compassion for him, I'd have to watch my tone for fear of having him feel judged.'"

Followed by the chorus "I was hoping", the communist catchphrase in my opinion.

Yes, I realise this isn't the great lyrics thread. It's just that whenever I read good or bad it reminds me of this song by Alanis Morissette, I Was Hoping. And it just so happens to apply here. It shows once more that there is no such thing as good or bad. And it has this nice line about human nature as well.

Was it ever gonna work? No. Not in a human world. Men are competitive. They lie and steal and betray if it will help them. Not because we're all bastards, not just because we're all bastards, but more so because it is human nature. This simple fact about the lot of us is enough to prove that communism isn't gonna work. It requires a certain level of selflessness that we don't possess.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if we did. That's exactly my point, communism itself is neither good nor bad. Essentially, it would be the perfect society. It's the human factor that spoils it.

But even hippies couldn't pull it off. Two of the biggest countries in the world had a go and failed. Why? Because they had a leader. Communism doesn't have leaders. Communism sees individuals as equals. Anyone deciding they're better than the rest, or in charge, fails to understand the most important aspect of communism. But a society without a leader? Would that work? Again, yes, if men were selfless. But we're not. There would always be someone considering it the perfect situation to take advantage of. If people go power crazy on a forum, how can you expect them not to in the real world? It's this inbuilt wanting, the human species craves power and, and... More, essentially. We're never content with what we have. As long as that longing, that wanting is still part of menkind, communism is doomed.

End of my post for now, I might add stuff later, when I actually wake up. I like this discussion
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote