Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Book Exchange Thread (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4380)

Porcelain_Doll 31-03-2010 11:54 PM

The Book Exchange Thread

This might've been done before, but I don't feel like bumping. And we need new threads anyhow.

As a proud booklover and sad small-not fully developed-country dweller, it's become near impossible for me to find the books I want in English without spending a small fortune on Amazon.com and their shameless shipping rates.
Bookstores here have labeled "Literature in English" pathetic single shelves full of Danielle Steel and whodunnits by Sadsob McCheesecake.

So, via a blogger friend, I had this idea which I'm now wondering why the hell it didn't come to me earlier so I could've saved my money. Book exchange! *tahdah!*

Perhaps not exchange per se, but let me paint you a lovely picture: somebody posts a plea for a book they cannot obtain in their country. Another person goes shopping and casually finds a copy shelved nicely in a nearby bookstore.
Via PMs or email, an exchange is set, and the first party can refund the second party via PayPal or the likes (shipping included. It's only fair.). Or, say, one has a book they wouldn't mind giving away. An someone else wants is. Voila!

In my case, I don't care for pristine copies. The cheaper the better, and if it's used yet still decent, it's a done deal.

What do you say?

(I really do hope this isn't illegal, by the way.)

Hazzle 01-04-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcelain_Doll (Post 91627)
(I really do hope this isn't illegal, by the way.)

I couldn't see how. Once you buy a book, you have the right to re-sell it. Now if people were lending the books, or renting them, there could be issues, but I'm fairly sure selling the book outright is perfectly legal. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that this is not legal advice.

Porcelain_Doll 01-04-2010 07:06 PM

Whee! I'd forgotten you were a lawyer, Haz. Best combination ever.

Mandy 01-04-2010 11:22 PM

You all totally need to read "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max.

duckula 01-04-2010 11:51 PM

I saw the movie, does that count?

Mandy 01-04-2010 11:54 PM

No, because the movie is flat, and absolutely ridiculous.

Movie<Book

Hazzle 01-04-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcelain_Doll (Post 91636)
Best combination ever.

Combination?

duckula 01-04-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy (Post 91672)
No, because the movie is flat, and absolutely ridiculous.

Movie<Book

I laughed, quite a bit. I used to read his forums, bit miffed he shut them down but I really should get round to reading the book. Apparently the follow up is coming later this year.

Mandy 02-04-2010 12:02 AM

It is, and I'm excited! He's really kind of brilliant, and I think he's amazing. I'd never want to sleep with him, but I'd shake his fucking hand.