Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should Helth Care be Socialized? (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406)

CFC 25-07-2004 01:54 PM

Should Health Care be Socialized?
 
In the US we do not have socialized health care. In the US or any country for that matter, should the government put aside money to set up a free health care system? Would a social health care system be as good as a private one or even better?

I ask this because this week I had a medical exam at a free clinic for the DOD(Department of Defense). I noticed a few differences between the free center and the doctors office I usually go to.

For you people who have socialized health care, how is your system?

Which one do you think is better socialized or private?

Edit: I can't spell.

Hazzle 25-07-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFC
In the US we do not have socialized health care. In the US or any country for that matter, should the government put aside money to set up a free health care system? Would a social health care system be as good as a private one or even better?

I ask this because this week I had a medical exam at a free clinic for the DOD(Department of Defense). I noticed a few differences between the free center and the doctors office I usually go to.

For you people who have socialized health care, how is your system?

Which one do you think is better socialized or private?

The NHS is awesomeness, it just needs modernising and some throwing of cash at it...sadly governments give with one hand and taketh away with the other...but yeah, I'd say our healthcare system, on the whole, does remarkably well on what little investment it gets. I think a lot of the staff are more in it for the caring aspect than the paycheck too, as they get paid so little...I think when you're earning more money you're more inclined to see patients as customers...whether that's good or not I'll leave you to decide.

Sarah 25-07-2004 03:26 PM

Free Health care is fantastic! I love the NHS, I'd be dead without it (quite literally). Free Health care! Wooo!

But truthfully, I think the US should have free healthcare, how much would you have to pay for treatment for a broken leg?

Dyce_Blue 25-07-2004 03:39 PM

US health
 
I'm no expert on healthcare, and my view may be biased because I live in a huge city. My mom is a nurse in the ER at the biggest trauma center in Texas, and I myself have visited several times. The American healthcare system is built around health insurance. For certain unhealthy individuals, this insurance can become quite pricy, just like auto insurance. The one difference I have learned about is the wait associated with receiving healthcare. I'm not sure of statistics, but across the pond, people have to wait a lot more than in the US for non-emergency injuries. In America, receiving treatment is virtually automatic. I'm OK with it the way it is. For lower income individuals, there are different ways to pay that take a lot off of the price. Again, my perception may be clouded.

MarkOB 25-07-2004 10:37 PM

As an old-fashioned Tory, I think the NHS would be much better off if we stopped paying for it from the government down and started paying from the patient up.

In 2002-03, central government spent about £50 billion on healthcare. That's about the same as it received from VAT (a little less, but close enough).

If we abolished £50 billion worth of taxes, all taxpayers would be about £1,500 better off.

Then we could all start to pay for our own medical treatment on the NHS on demand.

I think that health in Britain is another one of those areas where people think that the socialists, led by Clement Attlee after the war, did us all a great deed. Yet at last people are starting to realise that it's not good enough to preach about the principles of the NHS, because nobody cares about ideology if they're laying on the floor in a hospital waiting room because your hospital can't afford any beds.


Well, that's what I think! :)

duckula 25-07-2004 10:39 PM

Government down thanks, the NHS has always served me and mine well with a minimum of bullshit. I'm all about helping the helpless.

Spire 25-07-2004 10:39 PM

I don't think the US can afford free health care right now, considering the shape of the economy and the size of the national debt.

CFC 25-07-2004 10:40 PM

One one hand: I do not think it should be socialized. The quality of my health has to do with the quality of my health care provider. The quality of my health care provider is determined with how well it competes with its peers. That competition is created by the advantages of a private or capitalized system.


On the other hand: I believe everybody has the right to be in good health and should not be denied care due to lack of money.

MarkOB 25-07-2004 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckula
Government down thanks, the NHS has always served me and mine well with a minimum of bullshit. I'm all about helping the helpless.


We are all about helping the helpless, but you can't really offer that as an alternative policy. In truth, isn't it nothing more than a cuddly little platitude?

duckula 25-07-2004 10:53 PM

No, the NHS provides healthcare for all. Mmmkay?

MarkOB 25-07-2004 11:01 PM

But what if the NHS can't manage to provide healthcare for all? Some have to go without and then those who go on about the principles of the NHS are no longer about 'helping the helpless' but about 'helping the helpless, give or take a few who are beyond help'!

Hazzle 26-07-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkOB
But what if the NHS can't manage to provide healthcare for all? Some have to go without and then those who go on about the principles of the NHS are no longer about 'helping the helpless' but about 'helping the helpless, give or take a few who are beyond help'!

I'm an old fashioned Tory, doesn't mean I think private healthcare is per se the way to go. A reformed NHS is the way to go, a few tweaks...but the system as a whole works. If it didn't most of us would be sick at the moment...now shush...it's rare me and Ducky agree, and if we do it's a sign we're right...nuff said :)

acliff 26-07-2004 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkOB
But what if the NHS can't manage to provide healthcare for all? Some have to go without and then those who go on about the principles of the NHS are no longer about 'helping the helpless' but about 'helping the helpless, give or take a few who are beyond help'!

The NHS has so far, for me and mine, provided adequate service and healthcare. In fact they've even given me and my sister braces free of charge, even though we didn't actually have anything particularly wrong with them.

If you are ill then you will be treated. Now, those beyond help, the terminally ill are cared for too. Of course private healthcare is a bit more personal and may provide you with better/swifter care, but thats because you've just thrown money at the problem. The NHS is in my opinion, is one of the best healthcare systems in the world, in addition to our extended welfare state, which makes all the refugees and immigrants flock to British shores.

MarkOB 26-07-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzle
I'm an old fashioned Tory, doesn't mean I think private healthcare is per se the way to go. A reformed NHS is the way to go, a few tweaks...but the system as a whole works. If it didn't most of us would be sick at the moment...now shush...it's rare me and Ducky agree, and if we do it's a sign we're right...nuff said :)

I agree with you about a reformed NHS. I think my party does place too much emphasis on promoting private healthcare. But if people were required to pay for their treatment (in exchange for which, the government could cut £50 billion worth of taxes) that would cut out a lot of bureaucracy and centralise the system around the patient. Those would be extremely worthwhile 'tweaks'.

MarkOB 26-07-2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acliff
The NHS has so far, for me and mine, provided adequate service and healthcare. In fact they've even given me and my sister braces free of charge, even though we didn't actually have anything particularly wrong with them.

If you are ill then you will be treated. Now, those beyond help, the terminally ill are cared for too. Of course private healthcare is a bit more personal and may provide you with better/swifter care, but thats because you've just thrown money at the problem. The NHS is in my opinion, is one of the best healthcare systems in the world, in addition to our extended welfare state, which makes all the refugees and immigrants flock to British shores.

But the NHS is so overstretched. I realise that some of the scare stories about the state of our hospitals are a bit overdone, but we still have longer waiting times, fewer doctors per thousand, fewer nurses, and a poorer deal of everything that the developed countries we are supposed to be partners with, many of whom actually have fewer resources than we do.

hasselbrad 26-07-2004 12:03 PM

The United States Federal Government...
 
...could fuck up a steel ball.
Seriously. Nobody in the U.S. goes without healthcare simply becuase they don't have access to it. There are all kinds of indigent care available to those who are willing to use it. The best hospital in Tampa (surgery wise) is Tampa General. That's the same hospital that treats every bum with a flesh wound that staggers in off the street.
Our current system isn't perfect, but last time I checked, there isn't anything in this world (save for Keira) that is.

Hazzle 26-07-2004 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasselbrad
Our current system isn't perfect, but last time I checked, there isn't anything in this world (save for Keira) that is.

I AM!

Oh...and I agree with Private-Public partnership, utilising business models of private medicine to make the NHS more efficient, ring fencing...but no, not private healthcare for all.

I'd much rather cut down the amount the government spends on spin...oh...and deal with the 7 billion worth of benefit fraud that we KNOW about that goes on every year...the figure could be 5 or 6 times as much...sure it's not quite 50 billion, but the fact is, we'd probably hardly notice the tax cuts with how much we'd pay for health insurance...it wouldn't be cheaper.

It'd also inspire people to seek treatment MUCH later...because the more insurance is used, the more the premium goes up...everyone knows that. Imagine all the cancer patients who'd not get checked until it was too late?

MarkOB 27-07-2004 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzle
I AM!

Oh...and I agree with Private-Public partnership, utilising business models of private medicine to make the NHS more efficient, ring fencing...but no, not private healthcare for all.

I'd much rather cut down the amount the government spends on spin...oh...and deal with the 7 billion worth of benefit fraud that we KNOW about that goes on every year...the figure could be 5 or 6 times as much...sure it's not quite 50 billion, but the fact is, we'd probably hardly notice the tax cuts with how much we'd pay for health insurance...it wouldn't be cheaper.

It'd also inspire people to seek treatment MUCH later...because the more insurance is used, the more the premium goes up...everyone knows that. Imagine all the cancer patients who'd not get checked until it was too late?

I agree with you about most of that, but I still think that we could at least investigate the thought of being radical about the NHS. We're too afraid to think of something outrageously different just because nobody's had a real think about it yet.

And I agree that my beliefs about NHS reform do beg a lot of questions, e.g. would this make all healthcare private healthcare; what if I blow all my spare thousands on gambling and tobacco?!

But I do think that a lot of people are afraid of thinking radically about this for fear of it going horribly wrong.

MarkOB 27-07-2004 12:09 AM

And I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at radical changes when all that this Labour government can do is throw more money and more money still at the services. Fat lot of good that's doing!

Hazzle 27-07-2004 12:11 AM

I grew up a Thatcherite child...and I grew up with an immense admiration for her and her policies...so don't think me unwilling to be radical in reforms...just think going the FULL hog of privatisation in the NHS is probably something even Thatcher herself wouldn't have done. It's different privatising utlities (and that has panned out well, and I totally agree with it)...look at how poor Railtrack privatisation worked? Where health and safety are concerned, we have to be a little more cautious in reform.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.