Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   Relationships & Sexuality (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Would your parents be ok with you dating somebody of different race? (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394)

CFC 24-07-2004 07:10 PM

Would your parents be ok with you dating somebody of different race?

This came up in conversation with a friend yesterday. I asked my parents and they said they would be ok, but it was not the most entheuastic response. I have never dated anybody of another race, but I would given the chance.

My grandparents on the other hand would proabably consider me not part of the family anymore if I did, that would not stop me though.

So would your parents approve?

Richard 24-07-2004 07:23 PM

My parents are very protective of me. Every now and then they would always tell me to marry someone whose "white", and at the risk of sounding like a biget... I would prefer a cacuasion women. I'm white too, if you didn't catch that. I'm always somewhat fascinated by other races, sometimes from where I live, they get annoying, really fast. But in the case that I do marry a women from another race, there's not really a lot they can do about it. It's not their decision. As of now, for the time being, I have my sights set on cacuasion women. So sue me.

Kelsey 24-07-2004 07:25 PM

Well, my dad and his family would be okay with it, and I'm estranged with the rest of my family, so whether or not they approved wouldn't matter to me.

duckula 24-07-2004 07:32 PM

No, we don't like foreigners.

Dyce_Blue 24-07-2004 07:32 PM

I never realized this

I just realized that I have never dated a white girl. All of the girls I have had relationships with were either black, hispanic, or asian. I guess it never dawned on me that some people would see this as a problem. Is it really that serious of an issue?

Kelsey 24-07-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue
Is it really that serious of an issue?

I'd say it depends on where you live. It's probably not as big of a deal to date outside of your race in Texas than it is in say....Alabama.

CFC 24-07-2004 07:46 PM

I guess this issue would mean more to me because I live in North Carolina. 90% of my neighborhood is white, 90% of my school is white, most of my friends are white.

Dyce_Blue 24-07-2004 07:46 PM

Very true Kelsey...

I guess I just took for granted living in a very tolerant city (4th largest in US). That still doesn't mean there isn't a somewhat small faction made up of those ignorant ones who are not quite so tolerant. But I'm sure its much better here than most other places.

Dyce_Blue 24-07-2004 07:50 PM

Cfc

It's funny that you are from NC, because I'm listening to Petey Pablo right now. It must be cool to have a musical artist completely represent your state. All we have is Lil' Flip and Scarface since Beyonce turned her back on H-Town. You know of Petey Pablo, right?

CFC 24-07-2004 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue
IThat still doesn't mean there isn't a somewhat small faction made up of those ignorant ones who are not quite so tolerant.

There are quite a few people here that are like that. I was just trying to find out what it is like for people in different parts of the world.

Dyce_Blue 24-07-2004 07:55 PM

Speaking of people from other parts of the world

The only people talking in this thread are from NC, CA, and TX. Where are the Oceanians and Europeans? We need your valuable opinions!

Sarah 24-07-2004 08:09 PM

My parents would be fine with it. My mum wouldn't mind, as along as he speaks English. Looks like Ronaldo is out, :p.

acliff 24-07-2004 08:26 PM

Well I'm Korean.
For a while, my mum woulda gone crazy if I went out with someone who isn't Korean, but having lived here for 13 years, my my mum's mild racism (Korea is a very 'pure' family tie based culture you see) has been toned right down.

She has told me recently that she wouldn't be able to cope with a black or indian girlfriend. Unless she was really really rich, heh.

Dyce_Blue 24-07-2004 08:31 PM

Korean, eh?

ACliff, you're Korean and u live in England? Isn't that a little rare? Are you the only Asian guy that you know? Please excuse my inquisitive nature, I've never been anywhere.

acliff 24-07-2004 08:46 PM

Well... I live 10 miles from the higest concentration of Korean people in the world, outside South Korea. So I know a couple of people, yeah.
And you'll find that England is quite multicultural. At least in the big towns and cities.

One of the things that makes me somewhat more socially acceptable than most other Korean people is my extensive British grammar school upbringing, my middle class london accent, and my distinctly British sense of humour.

Guido 24-07-2004 09:05 PM

Yes

My parents don't mind who i date... so yes for me.. :D

KeirazBabe 24-07-2004 09:20 PM

Nah my parents wouldn't mind at all.. unless they were a refugee i think lol.

xXx

bryan 25-07-2004 01:18 AM

Hey Acliff, I'm Korean too. I was always wondering how it would be to grow up in England like you have. Do you think it would be difficult for someone like me to get along over there in say...7 or 8 years from now when I'm done with univeristy? Would I be able to find an English girl of interest or will I drown in lonely misery..?

Hazzle 25-07-2004 03:44 AM

Nope...open minded parents...doubt they'd care gender, sexual preference, race...none of that...well...I say "parents"...my mum'd be cool, but my dad's a narrow minded prude...but then I don't really respect him enough to care what he thinks :)

acliff 25-07-2004 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan
Hey Acliff, I'm Korean too. I was always wondering how it would be to grow up in England like you have. Do you think it would be difficult for someone like me to get along over there in say...7 or 8 years from now when I'm done with univeristy? Would I be able to find an English girl of interest or will I drown in lonely misery..?

Entirely depends on how pretty you are.
Seriously though, as long as you're a nice person, you'll get on fine.
A finely tuned sense of humour, intelligence, and work ethic helps too.
Most people are fairly open minded, and its more about how you make them feel rather than where you're from or what you look like.

Although just the other day at work, I had finished making a string handle for this woman for her newly purchased hifi, and as per usual, I put my all into it, and the handle was good.
The woman woman says in an extremely condescending way:
'I bet you're good at origami aintcha!'

At which point I smile sweetly. Whereas my manager's face becomes one of extreme shock, and my work collegue has to go around the corner to laugh his face off. The woman I think realised that what she said wasn't particularly appropriate so hurried out without another word.