Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Gallery (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Song Jam Session Lameness (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3902)

Jacoby 30-12-2007 10:13 PM

Song Jam Session Lameness

So I posted this on these other forums I go to which is kinda music based, and got pretty much no reply.

And then I was like "OH SHIT! I should post this diddly on KKW."

So this is a song that I wrote (there's no lyrics at the moment, but I will add them eventually) that is still being constructed. This version of the song is basically a bunch of my friends jamming to it. I must warn you it's a little cluttered. If I ever seriously recorded this It would be more of a folk song, with only one lead guitar riff, and it wouldn't be much. The drumming is kind of off because the guy who was drumming never really plays them, he's actually a guitarists. But I figured I'd share with you anyway because some of you might be interested.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RECJS87Y You just have to enter the code it gives you into the text field and then it'll let you download the file.

The mic used was a Bluemic Snowball which connects to the computer via USB, and I think I'm going to buy one because they're under 100 dollars and the sound quality is really nice.

Anyway, check it out. Any feedback would be cool, too. Even if you think it's bad.

My friend described it as a bad Built to Spill song, which I took as a huge complement.

Jacoby 30-12-2007 10:16 PM

Also, my guitar is way too loud because it was too close to the mic.

The levels are really bad because of this, but I can't really mess with them with the program I have.

Mandy 30-12-2007 10:43 PM

The guitar is sounding good. I think you should replace the drummer. :p

I do like the riff. This reminds me of something the Kaiser Chiefs would play.

Jacoby 30-12-2007 10:57 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, he apologized after we played. I told him it was okay. It was a little tough to play through it, though.

hasselbrad 31-12-2007 04:40 AM

I heard Wilco, a little Violent Femmes (one part...don't know why) and a little bit of Pavement in that.
Excellent work.

Jacoby 31-12-2007 10:15 PM

I like all those bands!!

Thanks Brad! You da man.

Jacoby 06-01-2008 05:59 PM

This next song I am very proud of.

It's not of best recording quality, because it was recorded with a computer mic, but it's alright. Unfortunately we couldn't play with the levels of each instrument.

Check it out, it's me on guitar until halfway through when my friend Ed joins as lead guitar. My homeslice Brandon bass. And Bennett on drums. And he's a very good drummer so the track sounds much more official!

Download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0IOHWBK1

Then listen.

Afterwards, come to this thread and tell me what you thought. Good or bad. Fer serious, I'd like the feedback!

Oh, and for some reason it cut out the last 5 seconds. We end on a long A and a cymbal crash.

Mandy 06-01-2008 07:33 PM

The download doesn't make it past 2 or three %, then it fails.

:(

Digital_Ice 06-01-2008 07:44 PM

eww megaupload.... why dont you stream them :p

Jacoby 06-01-2008 09:25 PM

Where else can i upload it? Or how can I stream it?

Mandy 07-01-2008 08:26 AM

Thanks for sending it. I quite liked it! And the drumming was much better.

How long have you guys been playing together?

Jacoby 07-01-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy (Post 85796)
Thanks for sending it. I quite liked it! And the drumming was much better.

How long have you guys been playing together?

That day, haha. Well, The bassist and I have played together a few times before. It was the first time I played with the drummer, but it's easy to play with him because he's very good. And the lead guitar that kicks in later, I've played with him before a bunch, but that was the third time he heard the song.

TBird 11-02-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacoby (Post 85782)
This next song I am very proud of.

It's not of best recording quality, because it was recorded with a computer mic, but it's alright. Unfortunately we couldn't play with the levels of each instrument.

Check it out, it's me on guitar until halfway through when my friend Ed joins as lead guitar. My homeslice Brandon bass. And Bennett on drums. And he's a very good drummer so the track sounds much more official!

Afterwards, come to this thread and tell me what you thought. Good or bad. Fer serious, I'd like the feedback!

Oh, and for some reason it cut out the last 5 seconds. We end on a long A and a cymbal crash.

Well, first of all I have to say I like the song ! However, I have to mention a few things about the quality of the recording. Today, even if recording a demo song the standard is higher. So I would recommend:

1. Cut the first 15 seconds. Even when publishing an mp3 demo nobody wants to hear you guys talking before the song starts (except its intentional).

2. Get a multitrack soundcard for your computer and at least one good good mic for each instrument (in a perfect world you would have a mic for each drum of the drumset, but thats probably too expensive). Alternatively record the guitars/bass directly in the computer and put them through the appropriate software plugin.

3. If you don't know how to do it already get some basic mixing/mastering knowledge (or get a friend who who can do this ;) ).

4. Look for a good singer (preferrably some good looking girl :D ). Your song would benefit from vocals.

Renegade 16-02-2008 09:20 AM

Good stuff.

Jacoby 27-02-2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBird (Post 86638)
Well, first of all I have to say I like the song ! However, I have to mention a few things about the quality of the recording. Today, even if recording a demo song the standard is higher. So I would recommend:

1. Cut the first 15 seconds. Even when publishing an mp3 demo nobody wants to hear you guys talking before the song starts (except its intentional).

2. Get a multitrack soundcard for your computer and at least one good good mic for each instrument (in a perfect world you would have a mic for each drum of the drumset, but thats probably too expensive). Alternatively record the guitars/bass directly in the computer and put them through the appropriate software plugin.

3. If you don't know how to do it already get some basic mixing/mastering knowledge (or get a friend who who can do this ;) ).

4. Look for a good singer (preferrably some good looking girl :D ). Your song would benefit from vocals.

1. Haha, you're definitely right. I kept the original part because I don't know how to edit it out from the program I used to record. It was fun the first few times listening through, but the novelty wore off quick. If this was a f'real demo it would certainly be cut.

2. That's some good advice. I don't have the money for that as just a hobbyist, but if we ever get more interesting in cutting some professional tracks, we would mic everything.

3. I have no idea how to mix. We were actually using "Guitar Tracks" program, with a $70 mic sitting in the middle of the room we were playing in. Heh, I'd leave the mixing to the pros, even if I had the money.

4. This is a good idea. I was planning on singing perhaps, but I've written a few vocal ideas for that song.

Thanks for the feedback, TBird. I appreciate it.

And thanks Ren. You're, as I've said before, the raddest tomato in the garden.