Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   browsers (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3693)

Keira lover 01-08-2007 11:43 PM

browsers

Do you use:
Firefox
Internet Explorer
Opera
Netscape

Ranman 01-08-2007 11:49 PM

Been there, done this

frodo1511 02-08-2007 12:19 AM

Add Safari to the list, as it's now PC friendly.

Digital_Ice 02-08-2007 02:17 AM

yeah! wheres safari?

i use... all of em. but then i'm a web designer.

frodo1511 02-08-2007 02:59 AM

I use FF for the majority of my web browsing.

If a page won't open in FF, I hit the tiny little logo in the bottom-right corner of my screen, a voila! instant IE clone.

If that doesn't work (mostly when going to microsoft.com), I'll use Safari. Been using the windows beta for a month or so, isn't too shabby.

hasselbrad 02-08-2007 03:00 AM

Firefox.
I'm not as leet as Ice, but I'm no idiot either.
I wouldn't use IE on my laptop if it was the only way to the internets.

Renegade 02-08-2007 03:35 AM

Firefox.

Liam 02-08-2007 08:19 AM

The Windows beta of Safari is a steaming turd of a browser.

I use firefox on my desktop and IE7 on my laptop. I'm not as taken with the anti-microsoft bias as a lot of so called 'experts' in the field. I'm smart with my browsing habits and my computers are adequately secure so I'm not concerned with IE being open to attack.

I'm like Ice, I'm a freelance designer (I can use that tag now, as I have a few paid websites close to going live :P) so I use all the browsers to test for compatibility and iron out bugs. If I had to choose a favourite, it would be firefox for its expandability. Fucking great memory hog though.

Digital_Ice 02-08-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam (Post 80208)
Fucking great memory hog though.

jesus. dont get me started on that.

frodo1511 02-08-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam (Post 80208)
The Windows beta of Safari is a steaming turd of a browser.

True, but I needed to use it for online classes this year, as FF was not supported by the school (someone needs to be punished for that). IE7 fills my screen with ads and propaganda, so I stay far away from it.

I'm sure it'll get better over time-Apple's not the company to sit on the sidelines and go "o look, our stuff sucks, let's not make it better".

Liam 02-08-2007 09:08 PM

Well, yes and no.

Apple is more the kind of company that sees itself as some kind of messiah figure offering an alternative to the young, groovy people out there. The rest of us dinosaurs deserve a rich mocking for continuing to use Microsoft software.

Digital_Ice 02-08-2007 09:14 PM

safari is a good browser. but its certainly not the best. i still use firefox as my default.

frodo1511 02-08-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Ice (Post 80231)
safari is a good browser. but its certainly not the best. i still use firefox as my default.

Ok Ice, as well as Liam, I have a task for you two:

Since I'm currently running off of someone else's wireless access, the below mentioned test would be moot in my case, but seeing as your professions deals with the interweb, your opinions are unbiased.

When Safari 3 beta first came out, Apple declared it the best running, fastest browser available, better then IE7, FF2 and Opera 9. Their was a chart of times and performance. Can you back this up, or is it bull?

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Liam 03-08-2007 05:25 AM

In my experience Opera is the slowest of the major offerings. It has a got a lot of cool features that you dont see in any of the others though.

Safari certainly isnt any faster than any other browser I have used, apart from Lynx on Unix, which is text only. Once you apply the HTTP Sessions patch to Windows (XP, not sure about other flavours) I can't pick a speed difference between vanilla IE and vanilla Firefox. Once you add a bunch of security addons to Firefox, its markedly slower in computing terms than IE (you wont really spot a difference) but far more secure.

Apple are notorious for releasing poxy ports of their software from native MacOS to Windows, particularly in the user interface department. Whether or not this is due to poor programming, poor design or a deliberate attempt to say 'look, its better on a Mac!', I don't know. Safari is no exception to this.

frodo1511 03-08-2007 03:58 PM

Thanks for putting it in terms I can deal with, Liam.