Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   Relationships & Sexuality (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Gay marriages (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367)

Pinkfairy 22-07-2004 09:53 PM

Gay marriages
 
The Republican House voted to prevent federal courts to recognize same-sex marriages arguing that the law defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
Personally I don't agree with this. Isn't this the land of freedom? Shouldn't citizens be able to fall in love with whoever they want? I do understand that the president makes all sorts of difficult decisions so that the country runs well but this should be out of their reach. This is about peoples' personal lives. There's a good saying that should be applied: Live and let live. Gay marriages will not affect the country's well being. I don't know any gay people, and I'm not gay, but I do believe that love is between two people, not just a man and a woman. I went to a Catholic school where it's considered wrong, but I don't think it is. Marriage should be between two people who love each other, and the crime would be if they didn't love each other.
I just feel bad gay people who believe in marriage. They are being robbed of a right that should be everyone's.

Kelsey 23-07-2004 12:43 AM

I support the idea of a civil union and equal rights given to couples of the same sex. I feel that they should be recognized by law as a couple. I don't, however, believe this union should be called "marriage."

Hazzle 23-07-2004 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey
I support the idea of a civil union and equal rights given to couples of the same sex. I feel that they should be recognized by law as a couple. I don't, however, believe this union should be called "marriage."

Marriage, and people don't realise this, is purely a legal term. Before people weren't "married" they were "wed"...since that was the cultural and religious term. Marriage is purely a legal contract between two people to spend their lives together subject to a possible future divorce etc...so I see no reason why the contract has to be between a man and a woman. I mean nothing says a contract of sale has to be between a licensed merchant and a member of the public, EBAY is proof of that :) Let anyone marry anyone...yes...even their cats if they want to.

Kelsey 23-07-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzle
Marriage, and people don't realise this, is purely a legal term.

Then I don't think it should be the legal term for a union between two people of the same sex. *Shrug*.

Hazzle 23-07-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Then I don't think it should be the legal term for a union between two people of the same sex. *Shrug*.

Can't see a reason why not, that's all. Legal union, we're all supposed to have the same legal rights...ipso facto...gay marriages ARE legal, and any country that doesn't say so is discriminating against gay people. I'm sure you're not arguing that we should discriminate against gay people in the workplace or anywhere else...I'm sure you're not saying gay people should have less legal rights...thus surely you must agree that they have the same legal right to enter into the legal contract to be married? It's a contract after all and nothing says a gay person can't contract.

Elijahfan 23-07-2004 04:00 AM

i think they deserve rights, sorta up to the church or the religion that the couple is part of whether if their marriage or union does not go against their religion. seriously it's all bull to me. not like normal male-female marriages are the best either. i think it's 52% that dont survive. plus the whole gay thing being bad is just stupid. practically since the beginning of civiliced man, there have been gays or bisexuals. everyone did it, romans, greeks, even great leaders like Alexander the great. it's told in storys, like the illiad.

Hazzle 23-07-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahfan
i think they deserve rights, sorta up to the church or the religion that the couple is part of whether if their marriage or union does not go against their religion. seriously it's all bull to me. not like normal male-female marriages are the best either. i think it's 52% that dont survive. plus the whole gay thing being bad is just stupid. practically since the beginning of civiliced man, there have been gays or bisexuals. everyone did it, romans, greeks, even great leaders like Alexander the great. it's told in storys, like the illiad.

Religion and marriage have NOTHING to do with each other...weddings are religious, if the couples want them to be, and the status of being in wedded union is religious, but the status of being in married union is SECULAR and purely legal and societal.

Ok...now...religious zealots, look away now...




The funny thing is it's suspected that those who wrote the religious scriptures were ALL homosexual but probably in constant denial, hence the whole "it's a sin" thing. I mean perhaps there WAS a reason, as my Jewish mate said on his website, why Jesus hung out with 12 guys ;)

KeirazBabe 23-07-2004 11:17 AM

Well.. do i even need to answer? i think you all know what i'd say lmao.. but yesch deffinately gays should be allow to marry.. to think they arent is the most stoopidest thing ever.. just thank fark that FINALY changes are occuring with the lisence of marriage between same sex couples :D

I think a great role model for gays who continuously fights for quesality is Alan Cumming :D

Taken from his site->

Quote:

San Francisco LGBT Pride 2004

Alan recently had the honor of serving as one of this year's Celebrity Grand Marshals for San Francisco Pride!

When he accepted the invitation, Alan said:
"I am delighted to be Grand Marshal at San Francisco LGBT Pride. I have always been proud of who I am, and I look forward to celebrating with other like-minded people, especially in this year when so many people in America seem to be realizing that we have every right to be proud, and to have the same entitlements as anyone else. Sexuality should never affect a citizen's rights, and any government that withholds benefits, privileges or rights for this reason should be ashamed and run out of office. I hope this year we will have more to celebrate than ever before, including the resounding failure of the constitutional amendment which seems to me a blatant attempt at persecution!”
xXx

hasselbrad 23-07-2004 12:29 PM

and now, for the other edge...
 
...of the sword.

There's a lesbian couple in the Pacific NW. I can't remember if it's Washington State here in the U.S. or British Columbia....doesn't really matter. They got married when the courts first allowed it.
Now they want a divorce...and they can't get one. bwahahahaha!
Be careful what you wish for, kiddies...you might just get stuck with it.

Personally, I don't care. If two people are willing to commit to marrying one another, so be it.

duckula 23-07-2004 01:16 PM

Why endorse pervesion? If we are gonna subvert our morals why stop at gay marriage, lets legalise murder.

KeirazBabe 23-07-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckula
Why endorse pervesion? If we are gonna subvert our morals why stop at gay marriage, lets legalise murder.

How is it 'subverting our morals'.. swetypie? lol

xXx

duckula 23-07-2004 01:46 PM

Homosexuality is unnatural and immoral. It may be tolerated but it's not right.

KeirazBabe 23-07-2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckula
Homosexuality is unnatural and immoral. It may be tolerated but it's not right.

0_o Jaysus Christ Almighty! Firstly no way is it unnatural.like...wtf? Nor is it immoral.. how can it be? It is only an act of love.. dont know where youve got your views from but they aren't correct and most certainly are narrow minded and ignorant. Please grow up in this century.

xXx

ryan 23-07-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckula
Homosexuality is unnatural and immoral. It may be tolerated but it's not right.

Tell us how you really feel francis.
Stop holding it back :p

duckula 23-07-2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirazBabe
0_o Jaysus Christ Almighty! Firstly no way is it unnatural.like...wtf? Nor is it immoral.. how can it be? It is only an act of love.. dont know where youve got your views from but they aren't correct and most certainly are narrow minded and ignorant. Please grow up in this century.

xXx

It's not love, it's lust and ignorance.

It is immoral, the major world religions agree on this (moral's are about the only thing they are justified to hold positions on, but that's another thread).

It is unnatural. Sex in all it's glorious guises stem from the biological neccessity of procreation. Homosexual sex is in active opposition to the advance of the species.

Final point, I have grown up in this century and I hold educated and rationally thought out views. If you want to make your point you might want to consider acquiring some.

KeirazBabe 23-07-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckula
It's not love, it's lust and ignorance.

It is immoral, the major world religions agree on this (moral's are about the only thing they are justified to hold positions on, but that's another thread).

It is unnatural. Sex in all it's glorious guises stem from the biological neccessity of procreation. Homosexual sex is in active opposition to the advance of the species.

Final point, I have grown up in this century and I hold educated and rationally thought out views. If you want to make your point you might want to consider acquiring some.

Oooh you crack me up me dears ;) for a moment you almost had me convinced your a pig-headed-shallow-narrow-minded-ignorant-homophobic-twat. "Well they endorsed your parents having you, so why not gay marriage?"

"homosexuality is unnatural and immoral" Unnatural? Don't make me laff.. Coming from a freek of nature such as yourself...if we stuck to "natural" things you'd have been shot at birth darlin ;)

Well then at the rate your going all condoms and pills should be banned and everyone should be procreating for the good of man-kind..."Homosexual sex is in active opposition to the advance of the species" Well so are you, but noone stopped your parents bringing your diseased mind into being.

"It's not love, it's lust and ignorance." What's love? Is it not the showing of affection to something or someone? People love their dogs, their cats, their cars...these are all types of looooove. In order for you to love normaly you lust over something and i dont quite get what we are being ignorant about darlin?

Pfftt dont get me started on religion.. i dont want to offend that many people... Christianity in particular is the most hypercritical religion going... (excluding the Roman Catholics) sex was traditionaly solely seen as means of procreation.. yet condoms are now allowed... abortion was seen as solely wrong.. yet now in certain cases it is allowed... orginialy you were not alowed to get divorced..remarry..have sex whilst on your period etc etc etc.. these havfe all changed so why stick to homosexuality as a sin?

I'll finish this laterz..

xXx

duckula 23-07-2004 05:17 PM

Calm down dear, this is only a commercial.

On the point of me not helping advance the species: I am a strong, intelligent male who can safeguard the species and aid its develepoment through passing on my genes and providing technological advances (engineer).

Condoms shouldn't be banned as they protect the species from disease transmission. The pill also has varied uses such as the regulation and tempering of the female menstrual cycle. You see dear, these things are useful, unlike gay people.

On the matter of love: Lust isn't always involved in love, you forget the familial love, the platonic love and the love amongst comrades. Love is a demonstrable hormonal and pschological interaction between a man and a woman independent of pure lust (see: old people).

On the matter of sin: the majority of humanity views homosexual love as immoral, this is demonstrated by the fact that religions (most of them), class it as such.

Finally, on the personal attacks: do grow up, if you cannot take my well delivered argument in your stride and respond in kind then I suggest you refrain from posting.

KeirazBabe 23-07-2004 05:25 PM

Sweetness you know i love ya really and if you truly believed in the whole 'refrain from posting' then i think you should realise that whatever you say about homosexuality is a personal attack against me so therefore be kinder in what YOU say please ;)

Also... stats show that society is becoming more and more secular every day.. i dont see how religion can be valid proof of anything nowadays.

xXx

Pinkfairy 23-07-2004 05:26 PM

I may not understand homosexuality. And I was raised to believe it's wrong. I don't think it is because everyone's different hence believe in different things.
But whether it is or not wrong, my point is that it's not my business if gay couples get married, that is their own business. Whether homosexuality is wrong or not, they should be able to get married cause that's what they believe in. And when they do, the rest of the world can frown upon or look up to them, but it'd still be the couples' decision.

duckula 23-07-2004 05:30 PM

Statistics show our society to be growing more secular but this trend is not mirrored across the globe. If I must desist on attacking homosexuality because it personally offends you then you must stop defending it because it deeply offends my moral sensibilities and beliefs.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.