Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is KKW better since the server/forum changeover? (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314)

apoggy 20-07-2004 01:42 AM

Is KKW better since the server/forum changeover?

To be honest I'd say no. For those of you who were regulars over at the old forums back in the good old days of the .com would know, the KKW forum is the pride of our litle establishment. It used to be buzzing with activity and also funny. Since the changeover however things seem to have changed for the worse, the forums are filled with unfunny spam, people are posting crude remarks about Keira and the overall experience is less appealing to newcomers

The point of this thread was to enable you to voice your opinion and to see whether you agree and ulitametly help decide whether a few changes are needed.

Dont spam this thread, you have the rest of them for that it seems, if you have nothing to add, vote on the poll and leave it at that.

apoggy

Kelsey 20-07-2004 01:45 AM

Nope (no offense). There's more spam and all it seems to be is Underated/Overated threads (no offense). We need more discussion. The only place right now that there seems to be discussion is the sex forum.

DragonRat 20-07-2004 02:22 AM

It's due to the influx of new members, and the fact that the recent premiere of King Arthur brings in unwanted attention to the forums. We just have to take the good with the bad, I suppose. The IRC actually is active now on more time periods than previously. But other than that, I find that the new forums are just slightly less secure and less comfortable than the old. Sure, we had our unwanted elements back in the old days (i.e., Aldera), but now a lot of what people post end up being spam or spam-like.

I hope that it moves toward a better environment. We just need to keep at it.

Glare 20-07-2004 02:44 AM

Although I never really saw a lot of the old forum, I would agree that this new one is sort of newbish in a way, So many people spamming, in my opinion, the mods should come down on it hard, with 2nd offences carrying a 24 hour ban, all rules should be enforced to the max, if it continues, a life ban is imposed, if they come back (Dynamic IP) you could PM the server admin and have him deal with them to there ISP’s.

Thats just my view, If I was in charge I would have 24 hour bans for any spam, do it again and you're gone. I think thats a bit rough though.

Mandy 20-07-2004 03:24 AM

Do you know how many times Haz would be banned? :p

When someone breaks a rule, a Moderator should kindly guide them towards the rules and regs. If the member then continues to break a rule, or argue with a moderator, he/she should be banned for 24 hours. Kind of the way it was way back when.

I agree with Arch about the newbie thing. There are a lot of them spamming, a couple that I can name off the top of my head. The rule needs to be enforced a little more roughly than it has been, because no one's going to stop if you don't do something about it.

Richard 20-07-2004 03:28 AM

I miss all of my old posts, I had over 500. And I worked hard for it. Besides, there were many great threads I made back then and I can't remember what I wrote. But I am glad we have most of our old members back. Although, I miss The Black Rider & John Doe... JD's last comment to me was "Ah, Richard. My favourite member here", then he left. I actually saw The Black Rider on the Keira Forever forums, apparently he has chosen not to come back. Maybe he can't find the address. I think he thinks he's too good for us.

gracie 20-07-2004 03:45 AM

personnally i like it better. everyone was so fucking rude bitchy and generally hostile. id prefer newbie spam to that crap.

jadie 20-07-2004 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard
I miss all of my old posts, I had over 500. And I worked hard for it. Besides, there were many great threads I made back then and I can't remember what I wrote. But I am glad we have most of our old members back. Although, I miss The Black Rider & John Doe... JD's last comment to me was "Ah, Richard. My favourite member here", then he left. I actually saw The Black Rider on the Keira Forever forums, apparently he has chosen not to come back. Maybe he can't find the address. I think he thinks he's too good for us.

Poor Richard. :( Yes it is sad when you lose all your post count that you worked hard for, believe me, I know.

deviljet88 20-07-2004 06:58 AM

I voted the same. It just seems to be your regular forum, spam comes with it. I wasn't around the old forums long enough to accumlate a post count or notice the "funny" behaviour. I do enjoy the faster speed on these forums though.

acliff 20-07-2004 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracie
personnally i like it better. everyone was so fucking rude bitchy and generally hostile. id prefer newbie spam to that crap.

As opposed to now, with fucking rude, bitchy and gerally hostile newbie spam? Great compromise :)

DragonRat 20-07-2004 10:11 AM

Perhaps we should remove the post counts. Also, I have added a SPAM thread to the General Discussion board, which was quite popular in the days of the old forum. Hopefully, it can let out the spam from members' systems.

duckula 20-07-2004 01:23 PM

It's neither funny or original. We had atleast some measure of that in the old forums. That is not to say, however, that these aspects cannot return. All that is required is some thought on the part of everyone who posts. Difficult? Maybe. Possible? Unlikely. Neccessary? Definitely.

KeirazBabe 20-07-2004 03:21 PM

Hmm... well i'll deffo vote the old forum.. that was before it turned bad and i got shoved out of my own home i so lovingly created *wipes tear* so in a way starting all over again enabled me to come back..but i still miss the old forum!

xXx

Sephiroth v2.0 20-07-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Perhaps we should remove the post counts. Also, I have added a SPAM thread to the General Discussion board, which was quite popular in the days of the old forum. Hopefully, it can let out the spam from members' systems.
If I remember correctly in the old forum thats why we didn't have postcounts unless you looked a members profiles.

Hazzle 21-07-2004 12:08 AM

Actually the "Newcomer" thing seems to have made a few people spam to get it to register as "member"...perhaps something could be done on that score...unless of course the admins like the "newcomer" tag which is cool...I don't have an issue with it per se.

Hmmm...bans for spamming...in that case...I'll say my goodbyes now ;)

barrington 21-07-2004 12:03 PM

Newcomer -> Member is a little 30-post incentive with (I feel) just enough room to enourage new registrants to post sufficiently enough to stand a good chance of being drawn into the community.

Things have gone markedly downhill since The Great Crash, but we're working on it. Moderation is becoming progressively more strict, we have new rules for dealing with the cretins and we're trying to turn out some discussion-worthy intelligent threads.

It's on the mend.

ryan 21-07-2004 12:50 PM

I don't like the new forum layout as much as the old...maybe it's just me, though.

and yes, we seem to lack good discussion, other than the sex threads.
i dont even think ive started to read anything in KK discusson or general in a while.
it all just seems a bit boring.

Edward 22-07-2004 10:18 AM

it's much faster and better now but...

as soon as that "Forums" link hit the kkwavefront front page, all this spam started to creep in now

and.., are you not able to let people only see your post count if they goto your profile? like in the old forums

cause people are probably posting as much as they can as their postcount is on show

barrington 22-07-2004 02:56 PM

In accordance with your wishes I have disabled the counting of posts on the thread display pages (still available on profile and memberlist) just like we had on the old forums. This did markedly improve the quality of the forums last time we did it.

For reference, I waited so long this time in an effort to rebuild the forums after the crash. Spam or not, lots of posting generates a posting momentum. Post Counts are like stabilisers on a bicycle - there for reassurance and encouragement. Now that things are getting back in order I think it's time to remove them and let it soar on it's own! (ever the optomist)

Thanks for reminding me.

Elijahfan 22-07-2004 03:25 PM

too much new comer crap, they really need to read the rules and learn to not spam. i think its been worse, i wasnt real particapant in the last forum as this one, i just read the threads but i can tell the the diffference in all the crap threads. they really need to be locked.