Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coolio titles under the avatars (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2544)

once_dreaded 01-06-2006 11:33 AM

Coolio titles under the avatars

*le pout* I want to have a coolio title under my avatar like the Senior Members. How can I become a Senior Member and gain a title? (I'm imagining myself sounding like Fez from "That 70s Show," strange)

Hazzle 01-06-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by once_dreaded
*le pout* I want to have a coolio title under my avatar like the Senior Members. How can I become a Senior Member and gain a title? (I'm imagining myself sounding like Fez from "That 70s Show," strange)

I didn't realise that the custom title option was only open to senior members. Are you sure? Check your User CP (where you picked your avatar) and go to "Edit Profile". The first option for me is "custom user title" but I'm not sure if you have that. I thought you just needed to have posted enough to be a "member" before you could change it. But check for yourself.

As for "Senior Member" status as far as I'm aware, last time I checked that distinction was only given to people who were on the old forums before we moved over. I think the idea was to reward loyalty with a little badge. I've not seen it be given to anyone newer, but I may be wrong, and an admin may be willing to make an exception. Kiss up to Baz and Liam, you never know your luck!

Liam 01-06-2006 12:31 PM

As far as I remember, Senior Member is awarded based on post count, but we will remove the rank title if we feel that you have talked out of your arse to get there.

Either way, you are better off not adding your own rank to your profile. The admins have given or allowed ranks to a select group. This group is easily monitored using the forum admin controls. Any new or unintended members are likely to have their ranks removed.

Hazzle 01-06-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam
As far as I remember, Senior Member is awarded based on post count, but we will remove the rank title if we feel that you have talked out of your arse to get there.

Either way, you are better off not adding your own rank to your profile. The admins have given or allowed ranks to a select group. This group is easily monitored using the forum admin controls. Any new or unintended members are likely to have their ranks removed.

Ahh, I was just referring to the custom user title, not the rank. I wouldn't ever suggest anyone change that to "senior member".

Liam, are we talking about the same thing regarding Senior Member? Because as far as I know, the user title (under the avatar) only goes from "newcomer" to "member" and THAT is based on post count. The only way for it to be changed to "Senior Member" (rather than manually doing that, which is a no-no) is by getting the rank of Senior member.

But the rank (the badge on the top corner) has to be given by you guys, no? Hence "senior member" (or officer, mod, admin, etc) is decided upon by Admins?

I might be wrong, I'm just going on this but it is old.

Foeni 01-06-2006 01:19 PM

Piece of advice, stop it here. There was this thread, and look what happened. As goes for the rank Senior Member, Liam once told me that it came from the number of posts. I had 700 posts and wasn't automatically made senior, so either it isn't so, or the post count is set high.

Can Seniors really change their user title? Officers can't, that much I know. I thought only admins could change the titles. Well, and everyone with acces to the admin CP (if there are others than the admins).

Hazzle 01-06-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foeni
Piece of advice, stop it here. There was this thread, and look what happened. As goes for the rank Senior Member, Liam once told me that it came from the number of posts. I had 700 posts and wasn't automatically made senior, so either it isn't so, or the post count is set high.

Yep, saw that thread. I'd never ever suggest asking for a title, but kissing up to the admins has seen other people promoted officer or getting titles ;). I won't name names but let's face it, everyone's a human being at the end of the day, and you're always going to favour people you like. This is the ONLY logical explanation for me ever being made a mod!

And yeah, I don't think it's post-count related to be a "senior member", just "member" rather than "newcomer". But if it is it's MASSIVELY high, probably over 1000, in which case you're gonna have to stick around for ages, or spam. And spam is bad. The Ayatollah has spoken.

Quote:

Can Seniors really change their user title? Officers can't, that much I know.
You can't? I always could, and I think I used to be an officer. Not sure, but I believe so, immediately after I got fired as a mod :p. It could be a remnant from my mod days, who knows?

deviljet88 01-06-2006 01:34 PM

It's post count related. I'm pretty sure none of the admins bestowed Senior Member onto frodo willingly, might be wrong but that was the feeling I got. Never noticed at what point Senior Members could change their tags, but it loses meaning if you change it yourself, worth the risk letting admins do it :P

Hazzle 01-06-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deviljet88
It's post count related. I'm pretty sure none of the admins bestowed Senior Member onto frodo willingly, might be wrong but that was the feeling I got.

You may be right but I see people with as few posts as about 150 with it which makes me think it isn't entirely post-count related.

Once_Dreaded actually has more posts than a few senior members, so I think the amount of time you've been here counts for something too. Frodo may actually have been on the old forums, don't think so, but he might've been. And if not, he may have been given it for being a big contributor.

Quote:

Never noticed at what point Senior Members could change their tags, but it loses meaning if you change it yourself, worth the risk letting admins do it :P
Meh. Depends if you can actually come up with a good one. I changed mine to "Messiah of Spam" because Baz called me that. So the truth is, Baz could very easily have titled me that himself, had it occured to him to do it. And I think the new one is equally quite fitting. I think it DOES lose its meaning if you big yourself up your own title as that should be done by someone else. But mine just reflects moi.

Foeni 01-06-2006 01:45 PM

I think it can be set to be done rather randomly. Peach hadn't been around for very long and hadn't posted that much when she became senior.
Well, I suppose we'll just have to stick around till baz says how it works.

deviljet88 01-06-2006 01:49 PM

It's a combination of both posts and admin will? Peach got hers because she talks to quite a few of the main people on IRC and MSN.

Mandy 01-06-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam
The admins have given or allowed ranks to a select group.

Yes yes, let's not forget; KKW is prejudiced.

I've been a member for god knows how long, and I've never had a Member Title, so....yeah. Not that I care much.

Hazzle 01-06-2006 01:58 PM

Could it be that to set up a "senior member" group you have to specify a post-count based level at which the group is automatically triggered, but allowing you discretion to enter people into the group manually? Could just be a setting that HAS to be entered as part of the VBulletin interface, I have no idea as I've never used VBulletin from the admin side.

The limit could've been set high, expecting only a few would reach it, so that it would still remain relatively up to the admins to decide. So that basically it IS up to the admins but in the odd case post-count beat them to it. Who knows? Well, Baz, as Fo said, so let's wait for him to answer this one :)

deviljet88 01-06-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy
Yes yes, let's not forget; KKW is prejudiced.

I've been a member for god knows how long, and I've never had a Member Title, so....yeah. Not that I care much.

But you're an Officer :O You feature on the Forum Leaders page, Senior Members with tags don't.

hasselbrad 01-06-2006 02:19 PM

Hah...I changed mine to Senior Citizen. I never looked at the CP and just figured the mods and admins had the ability to dole them out.

On a side note, a guy on another board made his "Seen Your Member" and his avatar was a cartoon guy pointing and laughing.

Mandy 01-06-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deviljet88
But you're an Officer :O You feature on the Forum Leaders page, Senior Members with tags don't.

Lies.

Hazzle 01-06-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy

That's a lie. I remember when she first joined she had one. Of course she can't read this as I posted it, but if someone wants to let her know that she DID have one. She had a title with a little heart by it, but I forget what the title itself was.

Renegade 01-06-2006 03:46 PM

I'm sure it has nothing to do with post count. It's always been about favoritism amongst the admins. If you show yourself to be a unique, interesting member on the forums, and admins see that, you'll earn yourself a title (maybe a rank).

Pygmalion 01-06-2006 03:46 PM

Yeah the senior member thing can't be based on numbers because I've got one...

Liam 01-06-2006 07:31 PM

I just looked, and you are right. Senior Member is doled out at the discretion of the admins. You go from Newcomer to Member in 30 posts but there is no provision for automatic Senior Member-ship.

So yes, its a favouritism thing. Show yourself to be interesting, entertaining or amusing and participate in site stuff like the gallery, irc etc, and eventually it will come. Asking for a rank will only ever harm your chances.

Like Baz said, this is a dictatorship, not a democracy. If you dont like it, you are welcome to start your own forum elsewhere.

Mandy 01-06-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzle
That's a lie. I remember when she first joined she had one. Of course she can't read this as I posted it, but if someone wants to let her know that she DID have one. She had a title with a little heart by it, but I forget what the title itself was.

Unfortunately I had to unblock you because none of the threads made any sense the other way. But Yes I remember having one for a week or so. Something like "KKW Siren" with a heart. Didn't last long.