Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt? (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480)

Foeni 02-03-2005 04:58 PM

Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt?

Like with the "Troops in Iraq"-thread, this is an issue that have been discussed a lot in Danish politics a couple of years ago. Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt a child? There are some very good arguments for as well as against. I think the heaviest argument for is that a two men or two women can provide a child with as much love as a straight couple can. True, I don't doubt that. I just think that children should be raised with both a father and a mother, like it's ment to be. It simply isn't natural to be homosexual. If that was the case we would be able to have babies with a person of the same sex. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not against homosexuals, nor am I against marriage between people of the same sex. I respect that, I have homosexual friends, no problem there. We just need our children to grow up with parents of different sex. Children need both a male and a female parent. A lot think that children need someone to look up to, someone of the same sex. Therefor a boy need a father to look up to, but still he needs the mother, to find his more feminine sides. And women normally are less the tough type, if you know what I mean. Boys also need to have soft sides.

Damn it's hard to explain what I mean in English. But, cast your votes and start discussing :)

marine 02-03-2005 06:13 PM

my answer tends to the yes.
I can't really give an argument though.

About the argument that we need parents of both sex, what do you do with all the children who are coming from familes with just a father or just a mother and who don't see their other parent ?
The person you look up to don't have to be one of your parents, cause gods know some parents shouldn't have been parents in the first place and are just miserable.

AureaMediocritas 02-03-2005 06:40 PM

I would feel confused if I had to call the one man daddy and the other man
mummy... and as a male adolescent , I would pay more attention to my holes than a male adolescent living in a "heterosexual" family.
Nevertheless , I guess it is very cool to show off - in kindergarden etc. , rightly
pretending to have 2 mums and/or 2 dads !!!

Mandy 02-03-2005 06:50 PM

Having a gay couple as my best friends helps me say yes...but I do believe that the child needs a maternal figure in their life. And I don't mean a transvestite.

PhoeniX 02-03-2005 07:29 PM

I'm going to say yes, but when the child goes to school, they're going to go through 10 years of school life and possibly some of their life adult life being bullied. In England anyway, about 50% of people are homophobic, well in schools including the teachers so the adults don't seem to be that different from the students

Foeni 02-03-2005 07:45 PM

I realize there's a problem with single parents, marine. But that ain't too healthy either. Though better than being a child with gay parents. If a child has no father, it will automatically try and find a 'new one'. A friend of mine lost his dad before he was born. His big brother, who is much older, have taken that father role, and I think that it was good for him.

Mags 02-03-2005 07:48 PM

I voted yes. The way I think about it...these are kids who wouldn't have any parents at all otherwise...I mean...they're put up for adoption, and there clearly aren't enough couples, heterosexual or otherwise to take care of them. I don't think having two fathers or two mothers is going to put children who otherwise wouldn't have parents at a disadvantage.

I also think that any kid going through school will be bullied, whether their parents are gay or not. Kids'll be mean no matter what.

hasselbrad 02-03-2005 07:53 PM

I say yes. Why? These people are straight.
Fat lot of good that did their adopted kids.

marine 02-03-2005 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foeni
I realize there's a problem with single parents, marine. But that ain't too healthy either. Though better than being a child with gay parents. If a child has no father, it will automatically try and find a 'new one'. A friend of mine lost his dad before he was born. His big brother, who is much older, have taken that father role, and I think that it was good for him.

I just think that the ability to be a good parent, doesn't have anything to do with the fact of being homosexual, hetero, single or in couple and that it's
up to the parents to make children's lives as complete as possible.

Flightfreak 02-03-2005 08:12 PM

My cousin is lesbian, her parents are hetero,...
I used to think too that it could not be healthy to have gay parents, but i had to change my mind after reading some studies about it.
It has as good as no bad influence on the children, most of them are even more open-minded than children out "normal" families.
So I voted “Yes”
but like Bellum_851 said, the fact that alot of people are terribly shortminded and against gay people doesnt make it any easier.

Mavrick 02-03-2005 09:26 PM

hmm...

Well, its hard to say, but i would vote No. Reason: For gay people to marry is their own choice and decision, but since its their choice to be not normal. And I believe that it shouldn't be forced on to a kid that has no clue about the world to be suddenly have different parents than normal. Not that is bad, but I personally would prefer to be raised by a common and normal Male and Female couple. Its just natural... My way of thinking about this is to have it be the kids choice (of which he will be too young at the time to make that choice). So that being the case, I belive that they should not be able to adopt... that is at least my opinion. But really, its a hard topic.

Ashley 02-03-2005 10:06 PM

I said yes. This is just a theory, but I'd think that a child raised in a homosexual home would be more tolerant as an adult. Mags was right on when she said that children otherwise wouldn't have parents. There are many many kids waiting for parents, if it's a loving household, so be it.

Mags 02-03-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavrick
Well, its hard to say, but i would vote No. Reason: For gay people to marry is their own choice and decision, but since its their choice to be not normal. And I believe that it shouldn't be forced on to a kid that has no clue about the world to be suddenly have different parents than normal. Not that is bad, but I personally would prefer to be raised by a common and normal Male and Female couple. Its just natural... My way of thinking about this is to have it be the kids choice (of which he will be too young at the time to make that choice). So that being the case, I belive that they should not be able to adopt... that is at least my opinion. But really, its a hard topic.

First of all, I don't believe that people are necessarily choosing to be "abnormal." You may be naturally attracted to women, and I might be naturally attracted to men. It happens on an individual basis, and I don't think there's all that much choice in it, unless you mean the choice of denying your own attracting and lying about who you really are to fit into society's "norms."

As to the argument that kids adopted by homosexual parents don't have a choice, kids who are born to heterosexual parents don't have any choice in that matter either. You could end up with a mom that thinks she has to drown you in a bathtub to save your soul. Couples that go through the adoptive process have thorough background checks run on them, and they're not given children unless they have reasonably proven that they will love and care for the child to the best of their ability. There are no such restrictions for a 17 year old guy who gets his 16 year old girlfriend pregnant. I know that's generally an argument for adoption, but like I said before, there are not enough couples willing to adopt children already. Why should anyone deny a child the chance to have parents that will love them, just because they might be of the same sex?

Also, if there's the issue of male or female influences, there are always people kids can look up to. When my parents split and my dad lived thousands of miles away, I had a teacher, my band director, who would be there for me no matter what, even in situations where I wouldn't have been able to count on my dad. Plus, like I believe someone said before, no one is outrageously concerned for the welfare of children who suffer the death of a parent and thus are only raised by a parent of one sex, not receiving the opposite sex's influence. You can get that influence from lots of places.

And I agree with Ashley. It would seem more likely to me that children raised by homosexual parents would likely be much more tolerant of homosexuals, and I can't find anything wrong with that.

meegaan1 03-03-2005 02:00 AM

Yes. Every person should have equal rights, no matter what their sexual orientation or what other people say.

IBO 03-03-2005 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
keep up the ghey work!
________
MEDICAL CANNABIS

Scott 03-03-2005 05:12 AM

I vote yes, but the child is still going to need positive male/female rolemodels.

Liam 03-03-2005 05:22 AM

I say no. To me the idea of having same-sex parents is intrinsically wrong. Nature obviously didn't intend for it to happen.

Thats just how I see it.

SimplyKnightley 03-03-2005 05:36 AM

i voted no. simply because it's against nature. things happen for a reason.

deviljet88 03-03-2005 06:25 AM

Parents are supposed to be loving, but some aren't. So natural. Voted yes.

Flightfreak 03-03-2005 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyKnightley
i voted no. simply because it's against nature. things happen for a reason.

lol, indeed things happen with a reason.
homophiles are not against nature, it is nature you find it everywhere with humans, animals, plants,...