Keira Knightley.com Forums

Keira Knightley.com Forums (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/index.php)
-   Keira's Movies & Projects (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Am I the only one... (http://www.keiraknightley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107)

Hazzle 30-06-2004 10:11 PM

Am I the only one...
 
who thinks this'll be a good movie? People seem to be dissing it left right and centre but I actually think it looks good...certainly seems like it'll be better than POTC (which was largely a poor script carried by a superb lead performance from Mr Depp)...

Just wondered why people don't think it'll be good, or if you DO think it'll be good...what you'd say to sell it (from what you know about it) to the naysayers...much more interesting than a straight poll :)

KnightleyNews 30-06-2004 11:55 PM

I think it's a case of 'first impressions last' for a lot of people, and the first impressions were from the trailer. The voiceover was cheesy and the clips weren't exactly riveting. I think Clive Owen's monotone voice put quite a few people off too. Compare it with Ray Winstone's acting in the new clip released today:
http://filmforce.ign.com/kingarthur/.../526396p1.html

Plus, many people have their own staunch theories on the King Arthur legend, and most of them don't match with this movie's, hence the storyline being torn to shreds. I've lost count of the number of 'Roman Arthur - WHAT ?' and 'Warrior Guinevere - WHAT THE HELL ?' threads on other forums. People have their theories and nothing else could POSSIBLY be correct.

But no-one has seen the movie as a whole yet, so no-one is in a position to judge. I think Spider-Man 2 will do it some serious damage at the US box office, though.

Paul

Vertical Vortex 30-06-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzle
who thinks this'll be a good movie? People seem to be dissing it left right and centre but I actually think it looks good...certainly seems like it'll be better than POTC (which was largely a poor script carried by a superb lead performance from Mr Depp)...

Just wondered why people don't think it'll be good, or if you DO think it'll be good...what you'd say to sell it (from what you know about it) to the naysayers...much more interesting than a straight poll :)

nah, i dont think it will be even close to be better than POTC... buts thats maybe because i am a POTC fan. KA looks nice to me... but i dont think this is more than just a actionmovie... I liked 'First Knight' with Sean Connery and Richard Gere... but that movie was alot more romantic i guess, and i think that fits the story better... but ofcourse i cant really judge the movie if i havent seen it...

But i sure am positive about it

Louie 01-07-2004 02:38 AM

The trailer just made the movie look like it's going to be a lot of mindless action. Mindless action gets boring after awhile. The storyline doesn't sound very good either, Roman King Arthur??? But...we'll have to wait and see whether it actually is a good movie or not.

Narg 01-07-2004 03:57 AM

I really hope its good, some parts from the trailers look great, and i for one, know that all the scenes with the loveley Miss Knightley in it are going to be awesome! :)

deviljet88 01-07-2004 06:51 AM

I'm just glad there's a new movie on King Arthur, always been interested in it from year 3, did two projects and one speech on the topic at school. Just a bonus Keira is in it :)

danny cool 01-07-2004 09:24 AM

Personally i cannot wait till king arthur is released in the uk. iv been looking forward to it for about 7 months, still got a month to go ,damn
im sure it will be a great movie, and at the end of the day a great movie is a great movie

Edward 01-07-2004 10:46 AM

i'm sure it would be good, and not just all action like the black hawk down movie jerry bruckheimer did

DragonRat 01-07-2004 12:05 PM

I think it offers a keen twist on the Arthurian legends, much of which was correlated with local Celtic and European Christian mythos. Many people see Arthur from the novel 'The Once And Future King' and from reading mythology books. However, that does not mean it is true. At any rate, if this one isn't true, then at least it provides an honest approach to the legends themselves.

Kyle_West 01-07-2004 12:38 PM

what ever you say.
 
I actually thought that the trailor was good. I personally thought that Clive Owen may not have been a gold mine to get since I can do the arthur voice better than him. But still, maybe he brings something they don't show in the 2 minute trailor. I think this move will be very good and I have been looking foward to it since I heard about it months back. 6 days now here in the US and I am stoked to see it. In my opinion, it has to be better than spiderman 2.

Kelsey 01-07-2004 01:21 PM

I read the novelization and I think the storyline is weak. Plus, it's done by Jerry Bruckheimer, who I like, but he does movies to fill the seats and caters to what will get people to come rather than making sure he has a good film. I don't like the fact that the entire storyline seems to depend on the war scenes (I'm a character person I guess), and there are a few other things I didn't like but I'll keep those quiet for now because they're spoilers. I do, however, like the fact that Guinevere kicks ass in this storyline, but that could be because I am a girl.

I guess I'm just torn between wanting this to be a great movie, the reality that most huge blockbusters like this are...crap, and so many other things about it. I don't necessarily think it'll be good, but I don't necessarily think it'll be bad either. Only seeing the movie will determine that, which I'll definitely be doing either way.

acliff 01-07-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_West
thought that Clive Owen may not have been a gold mine to get since I can do the arthur voice better than him. But still, maybe he brings something they don't show in the 2 minute trailor.

Clive Owen is a fantastic actor, and him being in it is one of the reasons why I'll go watch it. Now, you can do the Arthur voice better than him?
Clive Owen? A native British person? You american? please, you kid. Besides, how do you know what Arthur should sound like?

Sarah 01-07-2004 08:03 PM

My first impression of the film, through trailers alone, is that it looks horribly boring.

It looks just like tonnes of other historical war films. It looks dull and I don't know if I can actually be bothered to get off my arse and watch it.

Perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be brilliant, intense and captivating. I'll have to wait and see...

Hazzle 02-07-2004 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acliff
Clive Owen is a fantastic actor, and him being in it is one of the reasons why I'll go watch it. Now, you can do the Arthur voice better than him?
Clive Owen? A native British person? You american? please, you kid. Besides, how do you know what Arthur should sound like?

Clive Owen is the dog's bollocks and like you, I'm really interested in seeing how he does in it and I doubt I'll be disappointed...he's also one of the reasons why I'm watching it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
My first impression of the film, through trailers alone, is that it looks horribly boring.

It looks just like tonnes of other historical war films. It looks dull and I don't know if I can actually be bothered to get off my arse and watch it.

Perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be brilliant, intense and captivating. I'll have to wait and see...

Ack...I actually like war films and historical films...but it's all horses for courses...I actually like your reasons for not wanting to see it the best :)

Kyle_West 02-07-2004 03:28 AM

hah
 
Funny, Well lets see. You can't always judge me because you have no idea what I sound like. I do traditional brittish accents in theatre and in monologues. I have a very smooth deep voice. Now it's not like a lash out at clive owen. I have been reading how potc was saved by depp so I was comparing owen with this. He is not a savior when it comes to acting. I may be wrong and this movie may prove to be an incredible role for him. Nonetheless, I work hard on my accent. It may come natural to some people, but I have to work at it. It's not bad, so don't judge it. Also, because you're older that automatically means everything I say is dog shit and I'm some sort of neanderthal? Whats gives?

Hazzle 02-07-2004 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_West
Also, because you're older that automatically means everything I say is dog shit and I'm some sort of neanderthal? Whats gives?

Errr...he said..."Please, you kid"...as in "Please, you jest" or "You must be joking"...not in the sense of being patronising...read it in context again and you'll see what was meant :)

Oh...and his point stands...how do you know what King Arthur should sound like? There is no "traditional british accent" only stereotypes Americans think are British accents...that'd be like Keira learning a generic american accent to play her role in The Jacket (which requires a Vermont accent). She's actually getting coaching in the correct accent, as opposed to just trying a general "American" accent. King Arthur legends differ, some say he was a scot, others an Irishman, others say he was from the south of England, others the north...and of course there's the Roman theory which the film is based on (which would mean he wouldn't have a traditional English accent at all but a mixture of a "Roman" accent <whatever that sounds like> and an old English accent <which is different from modern accents>...so it's not the stereotype). In Short...Arthur sounds however the film's writers and producers WANT him to sound (well, short of sounding American as the legends surfaced long before America was discovered :))

IF the film called for a MODERN traditional british accent, you'd be right, but it doesn't...

Kyle_West 02-07-2004 04:18 AM

...
 
I forgot to touch on what I meant from the way arthur sounds. It could mean alot of things. Like you said the writer/producer wanted him to sound that way. Now if thats what they want then thats it. There isn't a right or wrong in that case. But I just said for the sake of saying it that maybe there could've been more there. Since the movie hasn't been released yet (5 more days here) I cannot judge how it sounds. Since I may hear about 10 words in the commercial. But it isn't impressive to me anyway. Kinda where the "I could do that" comes from. Not by any means did I mean to state a 16 year old american should've been hired for King Arthur. That is obsured in all ways imaginable.

acliff 02-07-2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_West
Funny, Well lets see. You can't always judge me because you have no idea what I sound like. I do traditional brittish accents in theatre and in monologues. I have a very smooth deep voice. Now it's not like a lash out at clive owen. I have been reading how potc was saved by depp so I was comparing owen with this. He is not a savior when it comes to acting. I may be wrong and this movie may prove to be an incredible role for him. Nonetheless, I work hard on my accent. It may come natural to some people, but I have to work at it. It's not bad, so don't judge it. Also, because you're older that automatically means everything I say is dog shit and I'm some sort of neanderthal? Whats gives?

Good for you. I was assuming you had learnt how to do the British accent through acting, drama. Except that all you get taught is traditional english. This film would be a fucking farce if Clive Owen sounded like Hugh Grant, and in general a posh upper class twat. I would boycott it for that reason. I like Clive Owen's voice in this, as it is gritty, earthy, non London and what I would imagine a hardnut Roman soldier would sound like (if transfered to modern day English and pronounciation). In fact I'm a little concerned that Keira's voice will be too posh for the film.

Now, my voice is remarkably similar to Orlando Bloom. If I played King Arthur (which would be useless, me never looking intense, and being Korean and all) I would change my accent completely.

That, 'American? you kid' was a pun. Which I noticed and left in for your benefit.

Kyle_West 03-07-2004 02:20 AM

haha
 
That was funny. I liked the Hugh Grant remark. Props to it. Indeed it would be a catastrophe if that voice was in it. For the sake of this little debate, I don't sound like Hugh Grant, and thank God. But I know what you're saying, you think is voice is just fine. In which the voice of a character really is something stupid to argue about so I will end this by saying I love Clive Owen.

aim 03-07-2004 06:46 AM

i do
 
i do think, i think it is gonna be a lovely movie, violence and romance!!! :eek: :p http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/King...g&w=724&h=1400


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.