PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Down

aim
17-10-2004, 12:52 AM
That is the best war movie ever! It has orlando bloom,eric banner, josh harnet, ioan gruffudd, hugh dancy & ewan mcgregger. I reckon it was great and it has the best actiors in it.
http://www.topp.no/upload/Black-Hawk-Down_146x160.jpg

Jasper
17-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Uhh..... that movie came out a while ago.

Glare
17-10-2004, 12:55 AM
I cried in that movie, I felt sad for all those people, am I a pussy?

Renegade
17-10-2004, 01:07 AM
That is the best war movie ever! It has orlando bloom,eric banner, josh harnet, ioan gruffudd, hugh dancy & ewan mcgregger. I reckon it was great and it has the best actiors in it.

Says you, the person in love with every male actor that's made TeenPeople's 25 hotties list. The movie was great, but did you really like it for the story? more or less understand the plot?

I still think Saving Private Ryan is the best war movie.

MeggieHoops
17-10-2004, 01:18 AM
The best war movies are either Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. I would say The Deerhunter, but I just don't consider that a REAL war movie because it doesn't actually spend enough time with the war.

As for Black Hawk Down...sure, the guys were nice to look at, but I just felt like the beginning moved so fast and you weren't really given a chance to get to know the characters. Good ending, yes, but DEFINETALY not the best war movie ever.

Jacoby
17-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Best war movie is U-571, because it was sooo close to the truth. The
Americans saved the day! Thanks for the help, England.. :icon_err: . I'm just kidding, really. I believe England had more involvment with the success of that event than America and the hardly gave any credit to the English soldiers at all. "Chip-chip-cheerio, thanks a lot, mate..." A call from an English ship to the Americans, and it was about the only credit given. I'm not trying to suck up to the English people, like some Americans on this site.., I mean, most of you are cunts. But my information on the movie may be wrong. I'm basing off of what my friend Paul says. He's from London, so he may be a little bit biased about it. Perhaps Duckula has seen the film.. Am I right about it, Duck?

bob
17-10-2004, 02:41 AM
sorry, best war movie is Platoon.

is it just me, or is this thread basically a case of "no, 'black hawk down' was merely PlayGirl's special edition military issue, there are better war movies such as -insert title-"?

with that said, josh hartnett has an hour glass figure *teeheehee*

vladimir
17-10-2004, 02:43 AM
hmm best war movie.. it depends.. if it's because of the Authenticity of the content, the story itself or the performance of the actors..

personally I prefer black hawk down..
it is somewhat authentic anyway..
it is one of those movies, that make you feel like you are there.
like you are one of those soldiers..
as they say "it's about the man next to you".. you can really feel what he means..

bob
17-10-2004, 02:47 AM
^ heh, maybe cos it was based off a true story?

i probably would have liked it if it weren't for josh hartnett. ah yes, the sweet sweet taste of prejudice...

frodo1511
17-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Is it just me, but does Black Hawk Down, after seeing it, make you want to play a video game, and just shoot the shit out of people(maby it's just me)?

Anyway, loved this flick, especially the music/sound effects(I thought they were the benchmark for films until LOTR), but not the best war movie out there, but really good(my nod goes to the Patriot)

Spire
17-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Black Hawk Down is far from the best war movie ever. Ridley Scott is over-rated and Full Metal Jacket kicks the shit out of BHD.

Ardnax
17-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Black hawk down is one of the few war movies I like.

The Black Rider
17-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Apocalypse Now is the best war movie by far. Full Metal Jacket is second place.

Black Hawk Down wasn't that good, though. I liked the first half, but after a while the excessive violence and gritty realism bored me to tears.

I wish people like Ridley Scott would stop trying to make realistic films. They're killing cinema, whether they realize it or not. Blade Runner was his best movie, every film since then has been a major disappointment for me. And this one was no exception, though I will agree that the acting was quite good.

CFC
17-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Das Boot was better then U 571.

Apocolypse Now is a great war movie. I just finished reading Heart of Darkness which the movie is based off of, great book. After reading the book I think TFMJ might be the better of the two.

Richard
17-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Best war movie is U-571, because it was sooo close to the truth.

I fell asleep 45 minutes into the film. I need to watch it again.

Apocalypse Now is the best war movie by far. Full Metal Jacket is second place.

Black Hawk Down wasn't that good, though. I liked the first half, but after a while the excessive violence and gritty realism bored me to tears.

I wish people like Ridley Scott would stop trying to make realistic films. They're killing cinema, whether they realize it or not. Blade Runner was his best movie, every film since then has been a major disappointment for me. And this one was no exception, though I will agree that the acting was quite good.

What he said. But I haven't finished Apocalypse Now, so until I do... Full Metal Jacket will be my choice of "best war movie ever". Runners up: Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Enemy At The Gates. I guess "Paths of Glory" is not good enough to make it on anyone's list. That's a shame, I was gonna rent it.

While you do have a point that Blade Runner was his best film, I agree of course, and forgive me for going off-topic, but what are your thoughts on Dark City?

Jacoby
17-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I feel asleep 45 minutes into the film. I need to watch it again.

Don't. I've never even seen it, I just felt like bringing up that issue.
Carry on...

hasselbrad
17-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Would Band Of Brothers count? It is, without a doubt, the most realistic war movie ever.
Saving Private Ryan has to be near the top of the list for the Normandy landing scene alone.
Full Metal Jacket captured the essense of Vietnam better than any other film from what I have been told, by people who were actually there.
Platoon...rhymes with cartoon.

Foeni
17-10-2004, 04:57 PM

I agree on that one! Except that I think Black Hawk Down is boring as hell all the time. There's no story, it's only fighting and blood. Not that it can't be cool, but the fighting scenes aren't really good...

Best war movies:
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy At The Gates
Behind Enemy Lines

Don't remember other right now..

MeggieHoops
17-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Best war movies:
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy At The Gates
Behind Enemy Lines

Ah! Behind Enemy Lines! I had forgotten all about that. Yeah, def. a really good movie.

Jacoby
17-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Best war movie: War of the Buttons.

Foeni
17-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Ah! Behind Enemy Lines! I had forgotten all about that. Yeah, def. a really good movie.

It's also very good because it isn't like all the others. War movies are often very alike. This shows a wide different side of the war/soldier.

frodo1511
17-10-2004, 07:26 PM
I completly forgot about Enemy at the Gates: I LOVED that flick. I have a friend who, like narg, has a giant poster from the movie hanging by his bed.

Renegade
17-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Enemy at the Gates was a decent movie. I actually have the dvd but it could've been so much better with a little less of the hugs and kisses. Oh and isn't it a little disconcerting to hear a british accent from a Russian soldier?...just thought I'd mention that.

Margo Channing
17-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Apocalypse Now is the best war movie by far.

Halfway down the first page I began to fear that this film would never be mentioned. Apocalypse Now is the best war film. It was the first I'd ever seen and I haven't seen a better one since.

CFC
17-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Enemy at the Gates was good.

frodo1511
17-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, but what are we now considering, in this poll, to be a war movie? Must it have good v. evil, guns, or things that go boom? Can it be medievil, roman, or fantasy? If you include those factors, I might as well mention Lord of the Rings, suprised no one else has, and, to some degree, Braveheart and Gladiator. I know some people do not think that Gladiator was a war movie in it's sense, but it was a war against an empire, not just against an army or neighboring country. Same goes for Braveheart, which was a war for freedom.

Thought I should mention those.

Liam
18-10-2004, 10:56 AM
You're all wrong.

Best war movie is the Battle of Britain. Its not a real war movie unless it has Germans and assorted Empire and displaced Europeans shooting each other down. Now with added fire.

hasselbrad
18-10-2004, 12:10 PM
You're all wrong.

Best war movie is the Battle of Britain. Its not a real war movie unless it has Germans and assorted Empire and displaced Europeans shooting each other down. Now with added fire.

I recently purchased the DVD. Watched about half of it. Surprisingly realistic aerial battle scenes from a movie shot in the late 1960's (or early 1970's).

Gods and Generals is the best Civil War film, followed closely by Glory. Robert Duvall made Martin Sheen's Robert E. Lee (from Gettysburg)look like a character from a Scooby Doo cartoon.

Liam
18-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Its realistic cause they were all real planes. The collection of aircraft they had assembled for filming made the production unit the worlds 6th largest air force at the time.

Basically seeing Spitfires and 109s in a dance of death at 20000 feet gives me a colossal stag.

bob
18-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Best war movie is the Battle of Britain...

...Basically seeing Spitfires and 109s in a dance of death at 20000 feet gives me a colossal stag.
somehow i saw that coming.

following from frodo's comment, i change my vote from 'platoon' to 'the lion king'.

frodo1511
18-10-2004, 09:07 PM
somehow i saw that coming.

following from frodo's comment, i change my vote from 'platoon' to 'the lion king'.

Best animated war movie by far: Rafiki versus 10 hyena's is pure genius.

The Black Rider
18-10-2004, 09:25 PM
You're all wrong.

Battle of Britain is probably third or fourth in my book. But nobody can match the poetry of Apocalypse Now, nor will anyone ever.

But back on topic, has anyone read the book that Black Hawk Down is based on? If so, how does it compare to the film?

frodo1511
18-10-2004, 09:57 PM
But back on topic, has anyone read the book that Black Hawk Down is based on? If so, how does it compare to the film?

I haven't read it, but my dad has it. Actually been meaning to read it, but haven't found the time to do so. He say's the movie is preety close to the book/real life, but you know Hollywood, they try to streach the truth as far as possible:P

Renegade
19-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Gods and Generals is the best Civil War film, followed closely by Glory. Robert Duvall made Martin Sheen's Robert E. Lee (from Gettysburg)look like a character from a Scooby Doo cartoon.

Glory doesn't have the best of battle scenes but the story and actors make up for it. I also liked Gods and Generals, despite its numbing 3.5+ hr runtime :icon_surp .

Ashlyn
19-10-2004, 09:39 AM
i liked Black Hawk Down .. part of my josh hartnett phase i think. its was a good movie but i wouldnt go as far as calling it the best war movie ever. was it black hawk down with that awesome soundtrack?
i dont know what the best war movie ever is, i dont see them all that much. that one with owen wilson was good ;)

Echtelion
19-10-2004, 03:09 PM
How could you say that Foeni!! Black Hawk Down is a true story and I don't think is boring at all.

THAT is the best war movie EVER!!!

Liam
19-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Battle of Britain is probably third or fourth in my book. But nobody can match the poetry of Apocalypse Now, nor will anyone ever.

Merlin engines are poetry. 1050 horsepower of poetry.

Ask anyone who has heard one.

CFC
19-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Patton was good also, did not see it yet.

bob
20-10-2004, 06:08 AM
How could you say that Foeni!! Black Hawk Down is a true story and I don't think is boring at all.
it's based on a true story. based. adapted, even.

The Black Rider
20-10-2004, 09:00 PM

THAT is the best war movie EVER!!!

That's the problem with Black Hawk Down, and most films made today.

"I have no imagination, so I'm just gonna take a book based on real events. Then I'll make money and win a couple Oscars."

It was only nominated, but you get the idea.

hasselbrad
16-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Liam is right...a Merlin engine, at full song, is poetry...sheer poetry.

And now, for the real reason I revived this thread, I must say that having watched all of the episodes of Band Of Brothers, it is the best. Incredibly realistic, all the way down to procedure and fire discipline. No screaming, ten minute volleys of fully automatic gunfire. No standing in a clearing, alone, completely surrounded by enemy troops and firing (again...full auto) from the hip to escape.
This brings me to the worst war movie I've ever seen. Windtalkers.
What a steaming pile of unrealistic horseshit that was. How Nicholas Cage ever won an Oscar (for Moonstruck) is beyond me. I've seen better acting in school plays. In fact, there wasn't a single character that was even remotely believable. Which leads me to believe it's more the director's fault. I've heard of John Woo, and I am not really familiar with his work, but I am reasonably confident that he doesn't need to make another war film. Ever.
Everything about it was bad. The location was horrible. I've seen pictures of Saipan and it looks nothing like the scrubby, dusty, shithole of a backlot this movie was shot on. The special effects...um, weren't very special. Everytime someone gets shot, the dirt around them flies as if they are being strafed by Liam in a Spitfire ;), even when they are being shot with a Garand M-1 rifle. In John Woo's parallel universe, grenades set people on fire and the metal on tanks burns. Apparently, he thinks our tanks were made of magnesium.
And then there's the "love interest". Can't have a World War II film without the cute nurse. She appears, seemingly from thin air, to help get Cage's character back into the war, has a shot of rum with him on Waikiki Beach before he ships out and then writes him a couple of letters. Letters he is never around to get at mail call and then never bothers to respond to.
Sorry for the rant, but this is truly an awful film. 1941 (a silly comedy for those of you that haven't seen it) was more realistic.

frodo1511
16-06-2005, 02:29 PM
I have recently seen the holiness that is Full Metal Jacket.

The first hour is the funniest part of a movie I've ever seen.

Richard
16-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I have recently seen the holiness that is Full Metal Jacket.

The first hour is the funniest part of a movie I've ever seen.

It's also the most memorable. And definitely R. Lee Ermey's one outstanding role.

frodo1511
17-06-2005, 02:56 PM
And definitely R. Lee Ermey's one outstanding role.

He was at the Air Force Base around March to shoot an episode of Mail Call on the B-2. I got to meet him with a couple friends. He's really nice, but don't push him the wrong way.

Richard
17-06-2005, 06:21 PM
He was at the Air Force Base around March to shoot an episode of Mail Call on the B-2. I got to meet him with a couple friends. He's really nice, but don't push him the wrong way.

Liar. :p You should've asked him if he could suck a golfball through a garden hose.

Dionysus
21-06-2005, 11:59 AM
i rekon full metal jacket, enemy at the gates, saving private ryan, platoon or the eagle has landed are a few of the better war movies ive seen

enemy at the gates is actually not that good now i think about it, but i really like the whole battle for stalingrad and the ruskies holding on by their fingertips and somehow pushing them back

and platoon is DEFFINETLY the best vietnam movie, ive seen it about 200 times and i never get sick of it, the characters and the quotes are so rich, its a great film

frodo1511
21-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Liar. :p You should've asked him if he could suck a golfball through a garden hose.

No bullshit. I probably would've asked him that, but then he would either beat the crap out of me, or laugh really hard.

No, I didn't have the time, their was actually a long line to meet him. Seems that military people love Mail Call for some reason.

KRev
22-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Band Of Brothers...

Good call. I concur.

For a more localized "war"-type movie, City of God is where it's at.

Ashley
22-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Would Band Of Brothers count? It is, without a doubt, the most realistic war movie ever.

Band of Brothers is amazing. I watched a history channel marathon for two days a while back, complete with interviews with the actual people talking about the battles and the episode that was seen just before. It's incredible, I want the box set something fierce... plus World War II, the European battles, is a slight obsession of mine, it's facinating.

hasselbrad
22-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Band of Brothers is amazing. I watched a history channel marathon for two days a while back, complete with interviews with the actual people talking about the battles and the episode that was seen just before. It's incredible, I want the box set something fierce... plus World War II, the European battles, is a slight obsession of mine, it's facinating.

You definitely need the boxed set. There's a fair amount of stuff that didn't make it on the History Channel. Plus, it's got an entire disc of bonus features.

frodo1511
22-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Damn, the box set costs something around 80 bucks here.

Richard
22-06-2005, 06:01 PM
For a more localized "war"-type movie, City of God is where it's at.

Yes. That movie is intense.

Can 'Westworld' be considered a war film?

hasselbrad
22-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Damn, the box set costs something around 80 bucks here.

'Twas a hunnert when I bought it. Worth every fucking penny.

SakoFan
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Saving Private Ryan - Excellent Film, people complained that the film showed no Brits on the area that it is set onm the film starts on Omaha Beach
US Beaches.....Omaha.....Utah
UK Beaches.....Gold.....Sword.....
Canadian Beache.....Juno

Platoon - Awesome film, directed by Oliver Stone himself a Vietnam Vet, never will get bored of that film, the music at the beginning and the end is awesome, the music works for that film

Black Hawk Down - Based upon the events in Mogadisu, Somailia in 1993

U-571 - Complete fabrication, it was the Royal Navy who recovered the Enigma Maching and the de-coding books, havent seen it and never will

Full Metal Jacket - Excellent film, seen it twice, first time i saw it, i didnt really like it, second time liked it a lot

Apocolypse Now - seen it once or twice and i couldnt really get into the film

Casualties of War - Great film, seen it a number of time the first casualty in war is truth

Das Boot - absolutly fantastic film, it would be impossible to remake that film in english, it wouldnt work

Schindlers List - just excellent this film, the black and white film used in the film and the showing of red at times is well placed and awesome

The Dambusters - awesome film love the Lancaster Bomber always have always will, the sound of those engines in excilerating and the use of actual footage of the trial bombing runs is excellent, never will that feat of bravery and daredevil be repeated, and not a GPS system in sight 2/3 dams with basic navigation at 60ft an a stonishing accomplishment

in my opinion it is impossible to decide on the greatest war film made that was set in the 20th centrury, each film has its merits and it critisms

alby
16-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I disagree. I thought Enemy At The Gates was pretty bad. The action was dull, and the ending was just terrible. The movie might as well have ended with a bomb falling on Ed Harris, thus allowing Jude Law to do absolutely nothing. It seemed like a lost opportunity.

SakoFan
16-07-2005, 10:39 PM
however, once again, History v's Hollywood, the German Sniper didnt actually die like that, it was a game of cat and mouse, click on the following link for how it really happened

http://www.vor.ru/English/Stalingrad/stal_10.html

Renegade
18-07-2005, 07:30 AM
I disagree. I thought Enemy At The Gates was pretty bad. The action was dull, and the ending was just terrible. The movie might as well have ended with a bomb falling on Ed Harris, thus allowing Jude Law to do absolutely nothing. It seemed like a lost opportunity.

I thought the action was well done, especially when Ed Harris cornered Jude in the factory and when Ron Perlman got shot while jumping in mid-air. It's just the stupid love story that screwed up the movie.