PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Handhelds

Pages : [1] 2

frodo1511
14-10-2004, 12:59 AM
By now, the few of us KKW's that are into videogames know that this winter, both Sony and Nintendo will release new handhelds into the mainstream market: Sony's betting big with the PSP(playstation portable), while Nintendo's bringing out the DS(duel-screen). Although both are neat, here is 3 reasons the PSP will ultimatly fail:

1. Battery life- At the Tokyo Game Show, the PSP was on-display for people to see and play, but Sony had to continually keep recharging it's battery's. As of the moment, the thing's got a 2 hour battery life, with even less for movies(yes the thing can play movies, but only on the UMD[universal media disc]). I don't know about you, but I don't want to start watching the Lord of th Rings, and have to stop midway to charge up my batteries for 5 hours. The DS is supposted to have somewhere around 10-15 hours of life.

2. Pricing- the DS is being released for a nice buck-fifty this winter. It may sound a bit pricy, but the PSP is going to be a whopping $350!!! Don't know about the average joe, but I'm guessing they don't have that kind of bling on them.

3. Games- DS has Metroid Prime Hunters-First Hunt, looks amazing, almost up to par with Prime on Gamecube. PSP has Metal Gear Ac!d, a, get this, TURN BASED STEALTH STRAGETY game, way different than what we are used to.

Discuss, seeing as the above mentioned is still not final.

Jacoby
14-10-2004, 01:18 AM
By now, the few of us KKW's that are into videogames know that this winter, both Sony and Nintendo will release new handhelds into the mainstream market...

Uh...PSP in the winter? Maybe in the 2005/2006 winter...but not soon.

Yes, PSP has shit the bed with the battery. 90 minutes before you have to charge. Spire says it over-heats, too. Ha!

The Pricing is fair, I think. DS is basically a brilliantly innovative compact portable n64 with two screens (one touch screen), built in microphone, and wireless internet card, etc....so $150 is fair, if not, generous on Nintendo's part. PSP, on the other hand, is also fair...I mean, the thing can play PS2 games. It's amazing. 350 is a lot of money, and I would never spend that much on a system. I believe there are a lot of kids that can agree with me on that.

And about the games...Don't jump to conclusions on PSP's games because of AC!D...Seriously, it has gt4 that's a direct port of the ps2 version, it's going to have killzone, as well as a brand new onimusha game (Yes, please!) DS's line up, as well as psp, is mouth-watering. Metroid, mario 64, that new platformer, a sonic game(3-d), and Wario-Ware...mmm...

My opinion:
DS
-PROs
-cheap as fuck, and affordable for hobos much like myself.
-two screens, built in mic., wireless internet..so genius, i have to change my pants.
-battery life is nice, and it's backward-compatible (GBA games only, but who cares)
CONs
-Not as powerful as the PSP
-No mp3 or movie capabilities (I don't care about this, I just wanted to add some cons...)

PSP
PROs
-Powerful
-movies, and music
-Powerful
...that's it, really
CONs
-battery life
-mgs acid is totally ghey
-only one joystick (which will suck bawls for FPS on the thing)
-awkward button placement...joystick right under d-pad is kind of odd...

I'd like to thank Spire for helping me mold my opinion on the DS and PSP. Thank you, Spire...you're the man.

Narg
14-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Ill stick to my game gear thank you very much.

http://www.toysnjoys.com/gamegear/gamegear.jpg

:P, nah seriously ill prolly get the next nintendo handheld. Either that, or save my money and put it towards a car.

Spire
14-10-2004, 04:46 AM
I've already put all $150 on a DS, and probably won't pick up a PSP. Unless MGS: Acid suddenly stops looking like crap, or they announce a real sequel to Chrono Trigger for it. And they won't.

but the PSP is going to be a whopping $350!!!

This is just a rumor started by a person at the PA boards. It's been diffused several times. Sony hasn't announced a price yet.

but I don't want to start watching the Lord of th Rings

That's assuming LotR is even released on the UMD format. I doubt most film companies will spend money to release their movie on a format that can only be read by Sony systems. Same with music.

Also note:

Since the PSP uses a spinning disc format, it will require memory sticks. Those start at $40 for a 128 mb stick. Also, the PSP will be able to play mp3's that are saved on a memory stick.

Also, the DS features a built-in microphone, clock, alarm, and comes with an A/C Adapter.

Spire says it over-heats, too. Ha!

Not me, Gamespot. Any form of spinning disc media gets hot, and fitting a fan in a handheld is pretty hard. Overheating is one reason it's been delayed to late 2005.

hasselbrad
14-10-2004, 12:07 PM
http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/Mattel/Mattel-Football.jpg

Pro 2 level...chumps! :icon_razz

deviljet88
14-10-2004, 12:30 PM
That looks incredibly... great :icon_razz I haven't bothered getting a new handheld after I received a GameBoy Colour a few years ago. Style points have to go to PSP, but otherwise, I think DS will absolutely smash PSP to pieces unless Sony gets some incredibly great games.

Timmy
14-10-2004, 12:41 PM
it seems to me that nintendo, although falling to the same fate as sega when it comes to consoles, still rape the competition when it comes to hand helds. Don't get me wrong i love the consoles they bring out being an avid gamecube player but i'm still left wanting. DS has my hopes up as another nintendo smash. Just think of that neo geo thing and the swan......

Spire
14-10-2004, 01:55 PM
it seems to me that nintendo, although falling to the same fate as sega when it comes to consoles, still rape the competition when it comes to hand helds. Don't get me wrong i love the consoles they bring out being an avid gamecube player but i'm still left wanting. DS has my hopes up as another nintendo smash. Just think of that neo geo thing and the swan......

That is not true.

1. The Gamecube has sold more units worldwide than the Xbox.

2. Nintendo still turns a huge profit. Sega was floundering finacially, Nintendo, from a business standpoint, is doing very well.

Timmy
14-10-2004, 05:53 PM
thats true i guess, you wouldn't know it though.....most shops i go to only have a shelf or two for the cube now while the crapbox seems to have as much as the PS2......is it the same in the US? The Cube seems to be goin the same way as the N64

Jacoby
14-10-2004, 07:23 PM
thats true i guess, you wouldn't know it though.....most shops i go to only have a shelf or two for the cube now while the crapbox seems to have as much as the PS2......is it the same in the US? The Cube seems to be goin the same way as the N64

It's the same way in the US. GC's selection of games is much more minimal than the others, I believe. I'm pretty sure ps2 and xbox have a lot more games out than the GC does. Nintendo is still doing quite well, though. Don't worry. And, Timmy, buy a DS and we'll play metroid together.

Spire
14-10-2004, 07:35 PM
The reason Nintendo is doing well is because they've made a profit off of the Gamecube ever since it was launched. Unlike the PS2 and Xbox, which initially cost more to make than they were selling it for. Microsoft is still losing money on the Xbox (approx. 1.6 billion so far).

Another big reason, is that the GBA has sold nearly 1 million more units than the PS2. That's right, the best selling system in the US and worldwide is the GBA.

Louie
14-10-2004, 08:18 PM
The DS will own the PSP.

frodo1511
14-10-2004, 09:38 PM
I heard this off Xplay, but the PSP is supposed to ship in different combinations/unit performance, each costing more or less. It may be a rumor, but think of it as the iPod, how there are models with more/less hard drive space. It'll still be more than the DS, and more than cheap bastards can afford.

I'm not really all that impressed with the PSP's lineup of games. I mean, unless MGS pulls a Retro Studio's move, Ac!d will be shit. GT4 does look good, but it'll do better on the PS2. Killzone may only be it's savior(only reason I'm even THINKING about getting a PS2). The DS, however has got some nifty heavy-hitters. Metroid, Mario 64X4, a new Super Mario Game, and of course, the handheld comes with pictochat!!! how awesome!

Oh, my release for the winter, jake, was that the DS comes out in November here, but the PSP comes out in Japan in November. Sorry, it should be out here in the states soon after.

Spire
14-10-2004, 10:14 PM
No Frodo, the PSP was delayed a couple weeks ago. It's not coming out anywhere this year.

Timmy
15-10-2004, 09:48 AM
well i think the PSP will go the same way as the Neo Geo and the Swan.....it hasn't impressed me yet....i mean cmon....turn based MGS?
I for one will be getting a DS, and jacaby how will we be able to play metroid? don't we need to be within a foot of each other or sumthin

Jacoby
15-10-2004, 02:47 PM
and jacaby how will we be able to play metroid? don't we need to be within a foot of each other or sumthin

If you get a cable connection and a wireless router you can play the multiplayer games online. I'm not sure if it'll work across the Atlantic, but I hope so... Spire started a clan already, I shall join if I meet the requirments. If you have broadband internet, and a wireless router, you'll join too.

Timmy
15-10-2004, 04:01 PM
blimey hand helds are goin far.......well if it's how it works i'm there.....just need a wireless router

frodo1511
15-10-2004, 09:38 PM
If you get a cable connection and a wireless router you can play the multiplayer games online. I'm not sure if it'll work across the Atlantic, but I hope so... Spire started a clan already, I shall join if I meet the requirments. If you have broadband internet, and a wireless router, you'll join too.

Yeah, I don't know how far the DS' wireless range is-I'd be suprised if it went coast-to-coast, even with a little lag. I've already got 5 friends to consider buying one, as well as First Hunt.

Spire: my fault, I don't really keep up with Sony all that much, it's inferior to Nintendo(I only like their TV's)

Spire
22-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Some DS News:

The DS is the third best selling system in Japan, and that's just from preorders. Link (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111164.html)

Nintendo is launching a $40 million advertising campaign for the DS. Also, the DS already has 1 million pre-orders worldwide. Link (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=np_gw&message.id=415336)

CFC
22-10-2004, 08:51 PM
PSP gonna be good when it comes out in the US.

Sony will do it right.

Jacoby
22-10-2004, 08:55 PM
PSP gonna be good when it comes out in the US.

Sony will do it right.

It'll be good. I just don't think it'll be worth the 350 dollars.

frodo1511
22-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Quite frankly, I don't give two shits for the PSP. I think Sony will be fighting a losing battle here, what with the pricing(I mean, what average human being will want to/be able to afford a handheld like that?), and the fact that Nintendo has been UNTOUCHABLE in the handheld market ever since the release of the original Game Boy.

Although I do admit, Killzone will be a nice title for the machine.

CFC
22-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Sony can afford to lose.

Nintendo can't.

frodo1511
22-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Nintendo can't.

And wont lose. Look at Spire's link: 1 million preorders. I'd say that's preety damn good, not to mention the PSP probably dosen't have even close to that many preorders(don't know for sure, or if major retailers have started preordering them yet). Check out the poll at gamstats.com (http://www.gamestats.com) and see for yourself which handheld people like more.

Spire
23-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Sony can afford to lose.

Nintendo can't.

No, actually, Sony really can't. For one, the only sector of Sony that has actually generated a profit in the last couple years is it's videogame sector. Sony is currently in several lawsuits with music artists from their own record label. Spiderman is the only movie from Sony films to actually make that much of a profit, and it can't make up for the rest of the studio's losses. It's Walkman brand is being pounded into the mud by iPod, and it's electronics department is loosing to cheap producers like Apex and Sanyo.

Frankly, I don't think Sony has it's head together right now. They recently released the PSX in Japan, a PS2, Tivo combo machine. It was priced at a insane $1000. Let's just say, it flopped. Hard. The big question right now is whether Sony can actually afford to price the PSP at an affordable level.

Needless to say, Sony has a huge hill to climb. Nintendo owns the handheld market, and the handheld market is completely different than the console market. The GBA has sold more units than the PS2. The DS is already going extremely strong, how does Sony think it can overcome a system continues to beat the snot out of the PS2?

Check out the NPD numbers for September:

GBA $42,023,530 527,133
PS2 $38,046,609 253,295

and the Top 3 games:
1 GBA POKEMON FIRERED W/ADP $21,065,130 684,283
2 XBX FABLE $29,948,580 604,084
3 GBA POKEMON LEAFGRN W/ADP $17,103,620 556,065

Needless to say, Sony has it's work cut out for it.

Oh, and Nintendo can afford to lose. It has $7 billion sitting in the bank, and actually makes a good profit off of the GC and definetly the GBA.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 01:45 AM
dont worry about these stupid handhelds. just buy an XBOX.

As for game cube, what a waste of money

And don't even start with the ps2 or ps3 and even the ps4

XBOX

ps: fable is shit

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 01:51 AM
dont worry about these stupid handhelds. just buy an XBOX.

As for game cube, what a waste of money

And don't even start with the ps2 or ps3 and even the ps4

XBOX

ps: fable is shit

As much of an Xbox fanboy that I am, I agree with you on the PS2, but the gamecube DOES have a lot of great games, as well as some nice-looking games.

yeah, fable does suck, wait for Jade Empire.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 02:02 AM
How can you say the gamecube has good games. There all for kids and they suck...

Cant wait for :

Splintercell 3
halo 2
kotor 2
nfsu 2
and fifa 2005 is sick!

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Resident Evil for Kids!

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Resident Evil for Kids!

Yeah, clinton, you just moved down a notch for that remark. Rezzi, Killer 7 and a MATURE LINK.

But I'm also looking forward to the games mentioned by my esteemed collegue above(minus the fifa, plus the Metroid Prime 2)

Clinton
23-10-2004, 02:07 AM
well that game sucks...

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Ok...
Racing Games: They suck balls.
Sports games: They suck balls. Except Winning Eleven and Hockey games.
Adventure Games: Amazing. Zelda. OMG best thing ever.
RPG: Even better.

But back to the TOPIC; which, I believe, was handhelds.
DS FOR LIFE MOTHER-FUCKERRRRR!!!!

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone still have an old Game Boy/Game Gear?

I got an old Game Boy for my 6th birthday, and still have it. Probably will keep it for a while, I can't sell it on eBay, their's too many scratches on the screen, and I tore off teh bar code:P

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone still have an old Game Boy/Game Gear?

I got an old Game Boy for my 6th birthday, and still have it. Probably will keep it for a while, I can't sell it on eBay, their's too many scratches on the screen, and I tore off teh bar code:P

I have my old Game Gear. Never play it anymore, but still have it.

Jasper
23-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I got an old green screen-er.

I also have an ooooold NES. (The ones where you put the game into the top). I do believe those are worth a fair amount.

bob
23-10-2004, 02:24 AM
i have the old grey gameboy that was the size of a brick! i'm so proud of it. it shall forever remain in a shoebox until i'm need of some serious procrastination.

Spire
23-10-2004, 03:29 AM
How can you say the gamecube has good games. There all for kids and they suck...

You are an idiot. Don't even get me started...

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 03:33 AM
You are an idiot. Don't even get me started...

Don't worry Spire, I had your back earlier on this issue.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Get started!!! The game cube sucks!its that simple. Don't get mad at me cause you bought one and realised that you wasted your money. And it is for kiddddds. PLayskool designed it for god sake.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 03:43 AM
I can only hold Spire back for so long, Clinton: prepare for a SERIOUS ass-handing.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 03:43 AM
bring it on

Timmy
23-10-2004, 11:50 AM
jesus what planet did you come from, i see you as the one who only plays sports games clinton.....an utter jock with no imagination. If you arn't then i do apoligise but just becouse you don't like the games for the gamecube doesn't mean there childish....as some of the others have said there are quite a few games for cube only that are aimed at adults. I have a gamecube and i'm 18 for crying out loud....i'll buy what games i like to play and you do the same and we'll all be happy.....nuff said

as for the ds....i've pre-ordered one along with metroid! :)

CFC
23-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Xbox really is not all that great. I mean the only games I really need it for are Halo and Ninja Gaiden. GameCube is not bad but it is not awesome either, It had a few good games. GameCube would have been better if Zelda was not total trash.

PC > everything

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 01:16 PM
GameCube would have been better if Zelda was not total trash.

Wait for Zelda Reborn to hit on June of 2005, and I'll be ready for you to change that opinion of your's.

CFC
23-10-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm waiting for it. I think it looks like it has the potential to be awesome.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=Timmy]jesus what planet did you come from, i see you as the one who only plays sports games clinton.....an utter jock with no imagination. If you arn't then i do apoligise
QUOTE]

Its A good thing you apologised is this post cause i would of made you look so stupid. But anyway enough with this pointless conversation. if you want to play with gamebube go right ahead............

Spire
23-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Clinton, do you have anything at all to back up your arguement? That every game on the GC is "kiddie"? Have you even played the games? Or are you just spewing shit out of your mouth? It's incredibly obvious that you are just a dumbass jock who gets his rocks off to sports games and pixelated boobs. If you want to start an arguement, I'd be more than glad to rip you a new asshole. You know jackshit about videogames, obviously.

Oh, and by the way, most of those "kiddie" games are incredibly fun. But you wouldn't know.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 06:15 PM
It has begun !

To prove your dumb ass wrong I’ll show you how fucking shit gamecube is.

1) All the good games that are on the shitcube are offered on XBOX; For
example: Ghost Recon 2, Splintercell, SRS, NFSU 2, and so many more….
2) The games simply look better on the XBOX….
3) Who the fuck plays: Paper Mario, Power Rangers, Barbie Adventures, Dragon Ball Z, Kirby air ride, Hotwheels, Besides KIDS??????
4) Resident Evil is shit .
5) The controller is for people with small hands directing it towards KIDS.
6) Mini Discs, Wow something KINDS would find cool.
7) Does it even play DVD’s, who knows and more importantly who cares?
8) Why waste money on a memory card when XBOX comes with a hard drive?
9) Playskool Designed the damn thing!
10) Most of the ‘good’ games are just newer versions of there old games.(how many Zelda games are out? Same with Mario?
11) The shitcube will never have a game like Halo 2…. Ever!
12) Does it have online capability?
13) Does the gamecube have anything else to offer besides; Zelda, metroid, Mario, and games that were already successful on other consoles?

Why XBOX is the best? Simple:

1) Best online capabilities
2) Original games
3) amazing graphics
4) Hard drive
5) plays dvds
6) Can be modified to play burned games
7) Simply looks cool!
8) And if for some reason you wanted to play gamecube games you could do it on the XBOX!

The list goes on and on………….

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 06:52 PM
1) All the good games that are on the shitcube are offered on XBOX; 2) The games simply look better on the XBOX….
3) Who the fuck plays: Paper Mario, Power Rangers, Barbie Adventures, Dragon Ball Z, Kirby air ride, Hotwheels, Besides KIDS??????

1) No Zelda or Mario on X-Box. Gay-mo.
3) Um..Paper Mario is awesome.
RE is great, and mini-discs are an advancment in technology. That's like mp3 players are retarded. You don't buy a videogame system to play dvds. Why waste money on a memory card? Why waste money on a shitty system that only has one good game: Halo. Playschool designed the system well. OK, who wouldn't want a mario or zelda sequel...boce. The Xbox will never had a game like Mario or Zelda. Halo 2 is highly over-rated. Online games are ghey. Does Xbox have anything to offer besides Halo and all those shitty third-party games?

"1) Best online capabilities
2) Original games
3) amazing graphics
4) Hard drive
5) plays dvds
7) Simply looks cool!
8) And if for some reason you wanted to play gamecube games you could do it on the XBOX!"

You're an idiot. Xbox live is expensive and most the people on it are morons. The games are not original, just shitty copies of older games. Graphics are good, yeah, but the games still suck. You're a Hard-drive whore. I don't want another computer instead of a videogame system. Simply looks cool? It weighs like 800 pounds and is a big black box. Coooool.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm not even going to argue my case: Both systems have their pro's and con's, neither is superior to the other, but both are better than the PS2. If you two would like(spire included, seeing as he's been arguing his position as well), I'll make a "which console is better?!" thread. Ask, and it shall be done.

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm not even going to argue my case: Both systems have their pro's and con's, neither is superior to the other, but both are better than the PS2. If you two would like(spire included, seeing as he's been arguing his position as well), I'll make a "which console is better?!" thread. Ask, and it shall be done.

Don't make the thread, you whore. PS2 is the best of them all, by the way. Even after the disc read thing. I still love the PS2. FF and MGS.

Spire
23-10-2004, 07:37 PM
It has begun !

To prove your dumb ass wrong I’ll show you how fucking shit gamecube is.

1) All the good games that are on the shitcube are offered on XBOX; For
example: Ghost Recon 2, Splintercell, SRS, NFSU 2, and so many more….
2) The games simply look better on the XBOX….
4) Resident Evil is shit .
5) The controller is for people with small hands directing it towards KIDS.
6) Mini Discs, Wow something KINDS would find cool.
7) Does it even play DVD’s, who knows and more importantly who cares?
8) Why waste money on a memory card when XBOX comes with a hard drive?
9) Playskool Designed the damn thing!
10) Most of the ‘good’ games are just newer versions of there old games.(how many Zelda games are out? Same with Mario?
11) The shitcube will never have a game like Halo 2…. Ever!
12) Does it have online capability?
13) Does the gamecube have anything else to offer besides; Zelda, metroid, Mario, and games that were already successful on other consoles?

Why XBOX is the best? Simple:

1) Best online capabilities
2) Original games
3) amazing graphics
4) Hard drive
5) plays dvds
7) Simply looks cool!
8) And if for some reason you wanted to play gamecube games you could do it on the XBOX!

The list goes on and on………….

1) This comment you posted, I'm going to quote it to some other videogame boards. It's the single dumbest thing ever. EVER. Haha, holy crap, why don't you just give me the win on a silver platter. First off, NFSU 2 isn't even out yet. Second off, the best GC games are Zelda, MGS: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil Remake, Ikaruga, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart: DD, and Super Smash Brothers Melee. All of which are not on the Xbox.

2) Graphical quality is strictly up to the developers. Let's take a look at a screenshot from each system:
PS2 (Wanda and Colossus, sequel to Ico) -
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011155726.jpg

Gamecube (Resident Evil 4) -
http://www.nintelligent.net/gamemedia/137/1.jpg

Xbox (Halo 2) -
http://games.kikizo.com/media/halo2_feb04/halo2_multiplayer_wmc.jpg

Now which one has the best graphics? I'd argue Wanda and Colossus, even though it's on the PS2, which has the weakest hardware. It's true the Xbox has a slight hardware advantage over the GC, but it really doesn't matter, since they can both pump out the same quality graphics.

3) Apparently a lot of people. Paper Mario rocks, so did Kirby's Air Ride (although to a lesser extent), and rest of those games are also on Xbox and PS2, they aren't exclusive to the GC dumbass. Oh, and the Gamecube has sold more units wolrdwide than the Xbox.

4) Considering it sold insanely well, well enough to have movies based on it produced, I'm fairly certain Resident Evil is not shit. And if you didn't like the old RE's for some reason, Resident Evil 4 is completely fresh, and insanely fun. I imported the japanese demo and can't stop playing it. It's going to be huge.

5) First off, the original Xbox controller is one of the worst in gaming history. And secondly, the GC controller is almost the exact same size as the Controller S for the Xbox. It's a bit shorter, but it's just as wide and the button placement is almost in the exact same spot.

6) You're so stupid. The entire reason behind minidiscs is not to appeal to children. They used minidiscs for two reasons: 1. It's a cheaper medium than DVD's 2. It's almost impossible to pirate minidisc games. Nintendo has spearheaded the movement in videogames to combat piracy, and the minidiscs have helped them a great deal. In Asia, piracy is huge, nearly 90% of all game sales are pirated copies. Nintendo is helping stop this.

7) No it doesn't and you're right. Who cares? I buy videogame systems to play videogames, not movies.

8) The HDD is a plus for the Xbox, but not for Microsoft. It's one of the leading reasons why they've lost nearly 2 billion dollars on the Xbox. And the Xbox 2 will not have a HDD.

9) Umm, that's just stupid. At least the GC doesn't weigh 600 pounds and look like the world's ugliest Beta-max player.

12) Sequels. Like Halo 2? At least Nintendo makes radical changes to their franchises. The new Zelda has a completely fresh graphical style, much deeper combat system, sailing, and a ton of other things. Mario Sunshine had the water pack and a whole new world to explore. Frankly, Nintendo is only one trying to keep all of their franchises fresh. Halo 2 doesn't have any radical new changes from what I've seen (dual wielding is not fresh, it's old). Frankly, I can't wait for the next Mario and Zelda game.

11) The Xbox will never have a game like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, SSBM, Metroid Prime (which has a better single player mode than Halo, btw), Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Pikmin, or Viewtiful Joe....EVER.

12) Yes it does. It is the home to two MMORPG's (Phantasy Star Online I & II, and Phantasy Star Online III) and you can play it's LAN-compatible games online via www.warppipe.com.

13) I hope you mean other Nintendo consoles. And yes, it does. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are GC only, and have done incredibly well. Eternal Darkness was also a favorite. The Xbox doesn't have many console-exclusive titles either, in fact, the only good one is Fable. Halo is on the PC (and much better on PC, I might add).

Xbox stuff:

1) For consoles, yes. But it still can't compare to PC online play.

2) HAHAHAHAHA! Give me a break, like what? Halo? It's just another well-made FPS, and it was originaly a Macintosh game. Fable? It's a dissapointing piece of hack-n-slash crap. Ninja Gaiden? It's a remake of a NES game.

3) Like I said, every console has amazing graphics, it's up to the game developers.

4) This is a plus.

5) Yeah, after you buy a $30 remote for it. You can buy a DVD player for $30 now.

6) If you're into illegal things, sure. I'm only counting legal stuff though. And the fact that it can play burned games has only hurt Microsoft more, as they lose money from it.

7) What world do you live in?

8) Again, illegal.

Oh, and please continue this list that "goes on and on...."

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Don't make the thread, you whore. PS2 is the best of them all, by the way. Even after the disc read thing. I still love the PS2. FF and MGS.

Consider it unmade, jake, just for you.

I think Spire is the new king of the longest-post contest. Maby not as many lines/thick as nearokA, but with the pics, it makes up for it.

Clinton, don't argue with Spire when it comes to games, he can name every publisher of every game in the last 20 years(or something to that effect). He just hates the Xbox in general, so don't waste your sanity on him.

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Consider it unmade, jake, just for you.

Thanks.

See Clinton, Spire has dedicated his time to prove you wrong. I agree with Spire. And I like his Zelda shirt.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 07:54 PM
And I like his Zelda shirt.

I need to get me a Zelda shirt, a few people at school have a couple variety's. Either that, or an old-school Metroid shirt, that would be sweet.

Oh, btw, here's (http://ds.ign.com/articles/558/558353p1.html) the link to the packaging of the DS and it's games. I especially love the Metriod art on the DS itself(for those who don't know, their is a MP Hunters demo pre-packaged with the DS)
And Spire, Feel the Magic is rated T, we always thought it was going to be an M! It's inevitable!!

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 08:02 PM
And Spire, Feel the Magic is rated T, we always thought it was going to be an M! It's inevitable!!

What's inevitable? That T rated games were supposed to be Mature? You don't make sense...where's Hazzle?

Thanks for that link, though. I'll be buying the Mario game, a thank-you.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 08:05 PM
What's inevitable? That T rated games were supposed to be Mature? You don't make sense...where's Hazzle?

Thanks for that link, though. I'll be buying the Mario game, a thank-you.

No, no. You needed to see what the content of the game is supposed to be: Think of a more mature Wario Ware.

Yeah, I'm really excited to play Mario 64 DS. The original was my favorite game on the 64, or was it Zelda OoT? I can't remember...

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Inevitable means something is always going to happen...For example, NearokA making himself look bad is inevitable.

Spire
23-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Clinton, don't argue with Spire when it comes to games, he can name every publisher of every game in the last 20 years(or something to that effect). He just hates the Xbox in general, so don't waste your sanity on him.

I don't hate the Xbox, I just think it's a weaker system. And morons who throw around the old "Nintendo is teh kiddie!!11" arguement piss me off.

And just for kicks, I'm going post more Wanda and Colossus pics, because the game is so damn pretty:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011131055.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011135242.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011138758.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011146726.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011205272.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/550/550778/wanda-and-colossus-20040924011207257.jpg

Damn, I love the art style in this game.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 08:21 PM
I don't hate the Xbox, I just think it's a weaker system. And morons who throw around the old "Nintendo is teh kiddie!!11" arguement piss me off.

I know how you feel, I have a friend who is also really into Nintendo.

But I wouldn't call the Xbox a weaker system: sure, most of the games do kinda suck, but it does have a lot of gems like Halo(you knew I was going to say that), Star Wars KotOR, MechAssault, Ninja Gaiden, Riddick, Full Spectrum Warrior, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Project Gotham Racing and Burnout 3. Graphically it holds it's own, with Riddick and Ninja Gaiden, but I'll admit that RE4 and Echoes look amazing(and Baiten Kaidos looks awesome). Like you said, it all depends on the developers, and how they take their time in crafting the graphics for the game.

And how could I forget Otogi 2: AMAZING.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Don’t even try to compare graphics. You must be kidding! Who cares how many units

are sold( maybe cause the gamecub is fucking cheap as hell) Remember lots of kidssss

idiot! The buttons on the gc controller are for people with disgustingly deformed hands.I

know they didn’t use mini disc to attract kids you stupid fuck!! FYI you can copy

mini disc’s where the fuck have you been? Playing movies is a great option for a console

are you stupid…..Again I don’t car if Microsoft loses money, I couldn’t care less…

“Umm, that's just stupid. At least the GC doesn't weigh 600 pounds and look like the world's ugliest Beta-max player.”

How often do you move around your gamecube, its not a handheld so weight should

never be a factor. Why does anyone care about how it looks. It’s how it performs.

Remember, cause like you said “I buy videogame systems to play videogames” not

to move around constantly. The graphic style is shit and by the way that’s nothing

new. All Nintendo has is old franchises (which are to old) All they do is focus on

them.

“The Xbox will never have a game like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, SSBM, Metroid Prime (which has a better single player mode than Halo, btw), Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Pikmin, or Viewtiful Joe....EVER.”

And doesn’t want or need them!! Pikman and pikman 2 Holy shit!!!

Spire you must be a fucking dumbass to actually compare gc to XBOX.

But no worries there is a cure for your stupidity

1) get your right hand

2) put it at a 90 degree angle

and

3) Slap your shit the fuck out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m done arguing with you. Cause both you and I know, the XBOX is the best…..

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Clinton: their is a japanese version of the Gamecube called the Q, that CAN PLAY DVD'S. If I find a pic, I'll show you.

move down another notch...

Clinton
23-10-2004, 08:31 PM
I don't givaaaa damn!!!

Follow the same three step plan

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Well then, your just ignorant. Spire and I are telling you information that's TRUE, but you are not listening. I can understand Fanboy, but what you are doing is just stupid. I would stop if I were you.

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Why does anyone care about how it looks. It’s how it performs.

Um you said twice in your main "argument" that the Xbox looks nice. So, obviously you DO care about how it looks. And it looks like shit. Everything you tried to say in your defense was wrong. It's not even about opinion, it's more on fact. And you're completely wrong. Surry.

Clinton
23-10-2004, 08:50 PM

never be a factor. Why does anyone care about how it looks. It’s how it performs.

to move around

Since its looks like you didn't read the entire post, CAn you comprehend this string of

words

and it looking good was simply a bonus.

Why do I have to explain this. Can you not understand?

can't wait to hear what spire says...probably writing an essay as we speak...

Jacoby
23-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Remember, cause like you said “I buy videogame systems to play videogames” not to move around

Since its looks like you didn't read the entire post, CAn you comprehend this string of
words
and it looking good was simply a bonus.
Why do I have to explain this. Can you not understand?
can't wait to hear what spire says...probably writing an essay as we speak...

I did read your whole argument. I quoted the part you said I didn't read, silly. And you don't understand that you said before that the XBOX looks great. Spire said it looks like crap and your rebuttle was, "Why does anyone care about how it looks?" Which is a contridiction.

CFC
24-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Xbox has the best graphics because they are the only company that offers a HDTV hook up for thier games. That blows everything out of the water in terms of graphics. And just incase you want to know I do own all three systems and I have them all hooked up to the same TV and with the HD hook up for xbox nothing stands a chance.

Then again graphics don't mean everything and XBOX only has like two maybe three good games. PS2 is the best console probably.

Gamecub is alright but a lot of the games are trash. And most like the Metal Gear sold are just remakes with a little extra crap added.

PS2 is also the only good system with good RPGs. KOTOR does not count because it came out on PC and PC will always own consoles.

Jacoby
24-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Xbox has the best graphics because they are the only company that offers a HDTV hook up for thier games.

No, you're definitely wrong. Like, really really ridiculously wrong.

And Spire, holy shit that game looks amazing. I'm getting it for sure. I'll probably have sex with it.

CFC
24-10-2004, 04:22 AM
No, you're definitely wrong. Like, really really ridiculously wrong.

And Spire, holy shit that game looks amazing. I'm getting it for sure. I'll probably have sex with it.

I'm sure I tested it and I am sure I am right.

Jacoby
24-10-2004, 04:44 AM
I'm sure I tested it and I am sure I am right.

You call nintendo, and you get the cables. You've never seen that scan thing that Nintendo has? Read the Zelda box, it's on there...

Narg
24-10-2004, 05:22 AM
PC > *

XBOX owns for piracy, and for use as a media box. Some titles are awesome aswell, specially because there free ;)

GameCube is fucking fun, and has some awesome titles, do not call it a kids console.

PS2 is a pile of shit with bad graphics and bad games.

Clinton is a dumbshit who cant construct an argument. Never argue with Spire about video games, he knows all.

Timmy
24-10-2004, 10:38 AM
well that settles it.......clinton has been blown out of the water.....what petty arguments he has......i wonder what consoles he has owned before or whether this xbox is his first, it wouldn't suprise me.

Jesus spire that game looks fantastic, what is it about?

i for one wasn't a great fan of the new zelda but the game rocked so hard i didn't care.....the new "older" link game looks amazing.....definatly a must.

oh and guys we forgot DOA:volley ball for teh xbox.....pffft yeah just joking

Spire
24-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Don’t even try to compare graphics. You must be kidding! Who cares how many units

are sold( maybe cause the gamecub is fucking cheap as hell) Remember lots of kidssss

idiot! The buttons on the gc controller are for people with disgustingly deformed hands.I

know they didn’t use mini disc to attract kids you stupid fuck!! FYI you can copy

mini disc’s where the fuck have you been? Playing movies is a great option for a console

are you stupid…..Again I don’t car if Microsoft loses money, I couldn’t care less…

“Umm, that's just stupid. At least the GC doesn't weigh 600 pounds and look like the world's ugliest Beta-max player.”

to move around constantly. The graphic style is shit and by the way that’s nothing

new. All Nintendo has is old franchises (which are to old) All they do is focus on

them.

“The Xbox will never have a game like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, SSBM, Metroid Prime (which has a better single player mode than Halo, btw), Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Pikmin, or Viewtiful Joe....EVER.”

And doesn’t want or need them!! Pikman and pikman 2 Holy shit!!!

Spire you must be a fucking dumbass to actually compare gc to XBOX.

But no worries there is a cure for your stupidity

1) get your right hand

2) put it at a 90 degree angle

and

3) Slap your shit the fuck out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m done arguing with you. Cause both you and I know, the XBOX is the best…..

I provided facts, you just just provided your noob opinion. You basically won it for me. If you aren't going to provide any facts, at all, then just leave.

And I've carried my GC around a hell of a lot. Going to Smash Bros. and Mario Kart tournies, the handle helps, since it allows me to carry the GC, all the cables, and some games in one hand. It's not a vital feature, but it puts it above the Xbox in terms of ease of transportation.

Basicly Clinton, everyone here knows your a dumbass, and with each post you make, you just dig your grave a little deeper. Please, next time, at least try to make a coherent arguement, and not just fanboy BS opinion.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 06:51 PM
You call nintendo, and you get the cables.

Yeah, that's the bad thing, you can't find the progressive scan cables at ANY STORE. You need to call Nintendo and order them, which I hate doing(mail on Air Force Bases suck:( But I have seen Progressive scan-enabled games in real life, and they look amazing. PS2 graphics as a whole suck, although their are a few exceptions.

Jacoby
24-10-2004, 09:03 PM
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682835/vid_962630.html?mu=http%3A%2F%2Fstreamingmovies.ig n.com%2Fds%2Farticle%2F556%2F556476%2FDSpresentati on_PRIME-2_100804_part1_wmvlow.wmv

Click on that.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Thank god they took out the "stylus" shooting. That would've confused the hell out of me, tapping where you want to shoot. I much prefer the likes of Prime-style lock-on.

Timmy
24-10-2004, 10:13 PM
*drool mode on*

wow....

Jacoby
24-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Thank god they took out the "stylus" shooting. That would've confused the hell out of me, tapping where you want to shoot. I much prefer the likes of Prime-style lock-on.

They got rid of the lock-on.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 11:39 PM
They got rid of the lock-on.

Hmmm...so it's not like holding the R/L trigger on Prime? That'll take some adjusting.

Jacoby
25-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Hmmm...so it's not like holding the R/L trigger on Prime? That'll take some adjusting.

I think you just look in it's direction and it locks on...which is fine by me. Doesn't take away from the game, really.

Narg
25-10-2004, 01:18 AM
lock on >_<, theres no aiming skill or reflex involved in console gaming :(.

Jacoby
25-10-2004, 01:23 AM

Metroid isn't about the aiming skill...it's about the exploration and action.

Spire
25-10-2004, 04:31 AM

Jacoby got it right. Metroid Prime is about exploration. In fact, it single-handedly created a new genre, First Person Adventure.

Console games require plenty of skill and reflexes, Metroid Prime is one of the only FPS games to use a lock-on system. Aiming with a controller takes a lot more talent than aiming with a mouse. I'm not bashing the keyboard/mouse set-up, I actually prefer it to controllers when it comes to FPS games, but that's because it's so much easier to use.

frodo1511
25-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Narg just likes his Counter-Strike, no getting through to him on the lock-on issue.

Jasper
26-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Narg just likes his Counter-Strike, no getting through to him on the lock-on issue.
And with just cause. Counter Strike > All.

Narg
26-10-2004, 02:54 AM
Excellent. Although im sure metroid hunters will be a bit of fun, I just dont understand how playing it multiplayer will require much, if at all any skill, i meen, sure u have to be able to move and aim a bit, but other than that, there wouldnt be many ways to actually become alot better than the other players, Thats why i like counter-strike, im learning new things every day, and getting better all the time, the limits of a multiplayer FPS on a console are quite limited, but we all know this, and for a handheld im sure it will be fun :).

EDIT: Also check this out
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5752

yeah yeah yeah, big deal, a pink game boy SP, but read it all, keira is promoting it!

Spire
26-10-2004, 04:43 AM
That's awesome, Keira promoting the GBA and all.

And from what I understand, MP: Hunters will feature two control schemes. Reports from the recent Seattle DS Press Conference, aiming can be done on the bottom screen, and will be very exact, pixel specific, actually. And that requires skill. But anyway, I'm sure it'll be fun. Counter-Strike is as popular as it is for a reason.

What I don't agree with is the statement that console FPS skills are quite limited. I've played a lot of Halo, and I've seen a incredibly varied degree of skill levels. Counter-strike has a bit more, but it's also been out 4 more years than Halo. Console games can require just as much skill as PC games.

frodo1511
26-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Sweetness, a Pink SP, and Keira's promoting it!!! I still have an original GBA, I should get an SP, but I think I'll wait for the DS.

BTW, just saw the new DS commercial in school today, it took a few people(teacher included) to figure out what the hell they were talking about.

Jacoby
26-10-2004, 10:38 PM
BTW, just saw the new DS commercial in school today, it took a few people(teacher included) to figure out what the hell they were talking about.

Was it Japanese? 'Cus Japanese commercials are teh crazy.

I remember seeing the Boktai commercial that aired in Japan. This kid was just about to get to the boss and the sun was setting..They zoomed in on his eyes, and he, dramatically, turned his head to the clock. It struck seven and he ran outside. He was in a huge shadow, so he ran to find sunlight. He found it in the middle of some crazy city and thrusted his gba up and screamed out, "TTAAAAIIIYYYOOOOO" (which I believe means "sunlight".) My friend and I were laughing the whole time. It was like an action movie. Anyways, Boktai 2 just came out. I've only played the first, and it's really good.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you need sunlight to play Boktai. If you don't have sunlight the main characters solar weapon is really weak, and you can hardly do anything.

frodo1511
27-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Was it Japanese? 'Cus Japanese commercials are teh crazy.

I remember seeing the Boktai commercial that aired in Japan. This kid was just about to get to the boss and the sun was setting..They zoomed in on his eyes, and he, dramatically, turned his head to the clock. It struck seven and he ran outside. He was in a huge shadow, so he ran to find sunlight. He found it in the middle of some crazy city and thrusted his gba up and screamed out, "TTAAAAIIIYYYOOOOO" (which I believe means "sunlight".) My friend and I were laughing the whole time. It was like an action movie. Anyways, Boktai 2 just came out. I've only played the first, and it's really good.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you need sunlight to play Boktai. If you don't have sunlight the main characters solar weapon is really weak, and you can hardly do anything.

No, it wasn't in Japanese, it was English. It was a fuzzy TV screen(like, when it dosen't get a channel), and 2 Blue squares lit up. Their was this womens voice, saying, "go ahead, touch the screen". It was very cool.

On a side note, Boktai is one of the BEST GBA GAMES. I've played it, but unfortunatley don't own it, and can't find the original anywhere. I hate to buy series' out of order, but I may have to. Besides, it's a good way to get a tan:)

Spire
27-10-2004, 04:54 AM
I have some of the Japanese DS commercials on my computer. They're pretty cool, the first shows a really hot Japanese chick walking up to a DS, touching it, and then saying "Touch". That's it, and she can touch me anytime she wants.

Jacoby
27-10-2004, 09:39 PM
This definitely surprised me... (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111570.html)

Jasper
27-10-2004, 09:42 PM
4-6 hours of battery life...

Jacoby
27-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah it kind of sucks compared to the DS, but I was surprised the PSP is only going to be 200 dollars...

frodo1511
27-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Shit, the only thing that suprised me was the price. I was confident it was hitting at around 300 bones.

Spire
28-10-2004, 12:02 AM
A $300 price tag would have been suicide. And the price could change before it hits the US next year, depending on how it sells in Japan. One thing is for sure though, Sony is going to be losing big bucks on this.

A $200 tag is much better, but that battery life is just sad. And I still haven't seen a single game I want for the system...

CFC
28-10-2004, 12:11 AM
I really doubt i'll even come close to buying one, I already have a portable better then both of those put together.

frodo1511
28-10-2004, 12:16 AM
I already have a portable better then both of those put together.

...which is?

Narg
28-10-2004, 01:21 AM
A laptop ?.