PDA

View Full Version : RIP Christopher Reeve

Margo Channing
11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
It may sound silly, but I always hoped there would be a medical miracle and he would recover. I usually don't get sad over a celebrity's death but this is just depressing.

MeggieHoops
11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Last winter I was at the movie theater in this town called Bedford, in NY...and he was there seeing the movie with his wife and his son.

It just makes me sad to think about how they're dealing with this.

CFC
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I am not sad at all, I thought Reeves was kinda selfish.

Spire
11-10-2004, 06:46 PM
People die everyday. This one just happened to be in some mediocre comic book movies.

The Black Rider
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
It's a sad thing to hear about his death, but on the other hand, it's rare that someone with Reeve's condition could live as long as he did. Also, like with Reagan's death (ignoring the age gap), he had been going through this for a decade (or thereabouts), so in the end, it's for the best.

frodo1511
11-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Damn, there goes Superman, and a great contributer to stem-cell research.

We'll miss you buddy.

Jacoby
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I am not sad at all, I thought Reeves was kinda selfish.

Did you get this opinion from watching South Park?

CFC
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Damn, there goes Superman, and a great contributer to stem-cell research.

We'll miss you buddy.

No he was not.

frodo1511
11-10-2004, 10:40 PM
No he was not.

So I guess all the crap I heard on the news saying what an inspiration he was as well as pro-stem cell research was bullshit? I knew fox news was bad, but that takes the cake

CFC
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
He was a contributor, but he was not great. Do you think he gave two shits about stem cell research until he had is accident? I bet not. It is amazing how he started devoting his time and money to stem cell research and other types of charities after his accident.

If he really cared for other people and not himself he would have been doing it long before his accident.

frodo1511
11-10-2004, 10:54 PM
You would've done the same thing. I know I would, it would help myself, and countless others around the world.

CFC
11-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Yes, that is why he is selfish and not great. Same thing is happening with Michael J Fox. They get all this respect for being such humanitarian people when they are really in it for themselves.

Jacoby
11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes, that is why he is selfish and not great. Same thing is happening with Michael J Fox. They get all this respect for being such humanitarian people when they are really in it for themselves.

Oh man, you're an idiot. It's helping everyone else with that disease. It's not like he pays millions for his own doctor to do secret studies. And people get involved with charity because of exprience with it. Mia Hamm's brother has bone-marrow disease, so she helps fund research for that.

CFC
11-10-2004, 11:12 PM
The point is. He did not do anything until ihe become one of those people. Why wasn't he doing this before his accident with his millions of dollars?

Bait
11-10-2004, 11:23 PM
People die everyday. This one just happened to be in some mediocre comic book movies.

im agreeing with spire...whats wrong with me? :icon_conf

marry rich people
11-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Are you just determined to hate him, CFC? Sounds like someone's a little bitter.

Narg
12-10-2004, 12:51 AM
I dont really care... :/

Renegade
12-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Too bad. He rocked as Superman. Me bets they'll commemorate him at the end of the next Smallville episode (not that anyone else watches that show anyway, aside from me.)

Richard
12-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Too bad. He rocked as Superman. Me bets they'll commemorate him at the end of the next Smallville episode (not that anyone else watches that show anyway, aside from me.)

I watch. Don't tell anyone. Anywho, I am sad. That's two dead Supermans.

You all are just jealous he got to be Superman. He can kick everyone's butt on this forum.

DragonRat
12-10-2004, 02:14 AM
To CFC:

Not many people understand a sickness or debilitation until they have experienced it themselves, or have witnessed others in such a condition. It's not selfishness, but a realization of how important it is. Reeve was able to utilize his status as a celebrity to garner attention and funds for stem-cell research; I would consider at least that much a humanitarian effort. He could've become a recluse, but instead chose to tell others about the important of benevolence and charity. He may not be the best person around, and he may not have born witness to a life-changing condition as quadriplegia early in his life, but things change, mate.

I bet you don't give too much thought on quadriplegics. But assuming you were one yourself: you would often think that it's important to tell others about your condition and spread the word. It's just natural.

Your opinion is crucial, but honestly, it's rather unfair to judge someone after they're dead. Often, it's true that people tend to canonize mediocre people after death, but that's often the case because, well, dead people can't talk back.

Well, to get back on topic:
Requiescat Im Pace, Mr. Reeve.

NearokA
12-10-2004, 03:38 AM
would anyone mind telling me who chistopher reeves is?
seriously, i've no clue. and you know, vodka is an excellent way to past the time away,

I love you guys all! WOoooo! Woo!

Bait
12-10-2004, 04:01 AM
seriously, i've no clue. and you know, vodka is an excellent way to past the time away,

I love you guys all! WOoooo! Woo!

no one cares if your drinking vodka...btw why are you drinking vodka while your on the internet...that just means your alone and if you get drunk alone your a loser :icon_down
also if you read even the first post you would know he was a celebrity and if you read further down you would know he was superman...

bob
15-10-2004, 02:04 PM
seriously, i've no clue.
shocking!

anyways, his death makes me sad. mainly because i was in love with him when i was 6yrs old. it would probably be good to mention right now that i'm female, in case anyone finds my nickname misleading.

Mags
15-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Bob_Siow? From the old forum? (I probably spelled that wrong, apologies)

bob
15-10-2004, 05:01 PM
yep, heya marge. if you don't mind me calling you marge... that name brings with it the image of blue and green, coincidentally that just so happens to be my school's colour theme. i'm ranting.

christopher reeves. yes, shocking. next i'll be crying when michael keaton finally bowls over.

Ashley
15-10-2004, 05:03 PM
It really was very sad that he passed away. He has done a lot for stem cell research and foundations to help people who are paralyzed. I have a friend who is paralyzed, and watching him made people think maybe she can overcome this as well. He'll be missed.

hasselbrad
15-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with Michael...oh, wait...he played Batman.
For a minute there, I thought you had combined Michael J. Fox and Alex P. Keaton. ;)

bob
15-10-2004, 05:49 PM
no, i was just professing my love for the original movie batman and superman ;) they were damn sexy. particularly in batman (returns, was it?) where michael keaton's hanging upside down. aheh...

and christopher reeves' clark kent was classic. he played lois lane like a fiddle.

Spire
15-10-2004, 07:57 PM
You all are just jealous he got to be Superman.

Superman is the most boring superhero ever. Honestly, he's invincible! A lot of drama there, at least Batman has a chance of dying. The only drama we get is if his hoochie girlfriend is in danger. Sorry folks, I don't give a damn about Superman's girlfriend, she can die for all I care. Superman's one weakness, kryptonite, seems to have fallen into the hands of every single villain he faces. Plus, his costume looks gay. I hate Superman. Batman rocks.

Richard
15-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Superman is the most boring superhero ever. Honestly, he's invincible! A lot of drama there, at least Batman has a chance of dying. The only drama we get is if his hoochie girlfriend is in danger. Sorry folks, I don't give a damn about Superman's girlfriend, she can die for all I care. Superman's one weakness, kryptonite, seems to have fallen into the hands of every single villain he faces. Plus, his costume looks gay. I hate Superman. Batman rocks.

I'm gonna agree with you on one thing... his costume is gay. But don't we all wish to be invincible? It does however, get tiresome when most of the movie's drama involves the saving of his "hoochie girlfriend". So yes, that's two things I agree with.

Superman < Spiderman < Batman. I'm failing to see anything interesting about Batman. His gadgets make me laugh, but then again so does Superman when he flies.

Superman is mediocre, Spiderman is good, Batman is lame, but Wolverine rocks. :)

frodo1511
15-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Wolverine is the man. He's so uber-cool, he's getting his very own movie! Don't know when it's coming out, but movies.com says it's the most anticipated spin off since, ever.

BTW, Christopher Reeve has been cremated. Don't let the cat loose.

bob
16-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Superman is mediocre, Spiderman is good, Batman is lame, but Wolverine rocks. :)
superman is pure heroics. the kryptonite is kinda like his disability. it's meant to be a scary thing, like being robbed of your eyesight. spider-man, despite having THE coolest superhero costume ever, never appealled to me. he was such a 'revenge of the nerds' type.

and batman is the brood-meister. his lack of cool superpowers is to allow you to focus on how human he is. granted i never really liked the comic, i just liked watching michael keaton brood.

wolverine's much cooler in the comics than in the movies. hugh jackman, while adorable, isn't tough enough. and the whole wolverine/rogue thing in the movies is just odd. with that said, gambit is a million times cooler than iceman.

Ashley
18-10-2004, 09:07 PM
I think for the last 5 or so posts, you're missing the point of the thread. But what do I know?

Getting back to it, anyone think that Reeve's death will have any impact on the elections? Kerry is for stem cell recearch and was a good friend of Reeve's, which Bush well... Bush is Bush. Anyone?