PDA

View Full Version : Cold Mountain

Louie
11-10-2004, 01:39 AM
What does everyone think of this movie? I rented it last night and watched this evening, I just finished watching it, and I think it's a great movie. The ending is very sad and dissapointing, but besides that, the movie is awesome! Jude Law did a great job.

Renegade
11-10-2004, 02:11 AM
I'm sure the film was great but I just want to know what happens to Natalie Portman's character. Raped? Abused? Visible to the public :D?

Mags
11-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Um...if I recall correctly ( and it's been almost a year since I've seen it, so who knows...) Natalie Portman's husband in the movie up and went to war with the 'Feds and then got himself blowed up, leaving her in her shack with her huge-headed baby and no one to kill the pig. She has a fantastic role in this movie, and scenes with Jude Law were great.

Renegade
11-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Louie lies. He said she got raped.

I must rent it sometime. Not really my sort of movie but it did receive a couple Oscar nominations so it must have some sort of credibility.

Mags
11-10-2004, 02:25 AM
oh yeah...whoops...she totally got raped. See, I said it was a long time ago. Ok, so waht I described happens the first night...the next morning, there are these 'Fed soldiers looking for deserters...or...that are deserters, who want to steal her pig, and so Jude runs out of the house, and then up a hill, and the soldiers rape Natalie Portman...and then...well, lets say she gets pretty bad ass with a shotgun. Folks get bloody, they threaten her baby...it was a powerful set of scenes..most of which I appear to have blocked...thanks for rehashing them.

NearokA
11-10-2004, 04:16 AM
oh yeah...whoops...she totally got raped. See, I said it was a long time ago. Ok, so waht I described happens the first night...the next morning, there are these 'Fed soldiers looking for deserters...or...that are deserters, who want to steal her pig, and so Jude runs out of the house, and then up a hill, and the soldiers rape Natalie Portman...and then...well, lets say she gets pretty bad ass with a shotgun. Folks get bloody, they threaten her baby...it was a powerful set of scenes..most of which I appear to have blocked...thanks for rehashing them.

She didn't get raped guys. She was in the process of getting raped if I remember before Jude Law came back and killed that "Fed."

Margo Channing
11-10-2004, 10:01 AM
There's a deleted scene where Natalie Portman's character Sara is sitting with her baby and he dies. She's crying and everything and then she shoots herself. I haven't seen it but they said it got cut because audiences found it too depressing.

Overall it's a good movie. It can be a little heavy-handed at some points, and Renne Zellweger can grate a bit. The best scenes are between Natalie Portman/Jude Law and Jude Law/Philip Seymour Hoffman.

It sorta caught me by surprise when I realized that the soldier Natalie Portman shoots in the back was the guy from 28 Days Later.

The Black Rider
11-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes, it was indeed a treat to see Cillian Murphy in the film. As well as Brendan Gleeson, the father in 28 Days Later. Minghella must have liked that movie a lot.

But I didn't like Cold Mountain, to be honest. We've seen these kind of films before, with Gone With the Wind and Doctor Zhivago (the original), but the difference between those films and Cold Mountain is that you could feel the passion not only for the film itself from the director, but also passion between the characters. I personally found this element extremely lacking, and almost non-existent in this film. For this reason, I found it difficult to keep myself interested in the story and it simply dragged on and on for me.

Also, the acting from three leads was very disappointing. Jude Law has been good in the past, but he was dreadfully miscast in this film. Likewise with Nicole Kidman, except tenfold in her case. Renee Zellweger was decent, but I'd hardly call it Oscar-worthy, since I could think of several other actresses who could play that part just as well. As a result, the film wound up being carried on the shoulders of all the various extended cameos: Natalie Portman, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Brendan Gleeson, Ray Winstone (despite his ridiculous accent), Cillian Murphy, Donald Sutherland, Eileen Atkins, and Jack White. But shouldn't the acting in a film like this be carried by the leads? Hmm.

Maybe if I saw it a second time, I'd like it a little more, but as of now, I'm not a fan.

Margo Channing
11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Jude Law has been good in the past, but he was dreadfully miscast in this film.

Did his accent seem funny to you, too? I couldn't place what he was going for and it got a little annoying after a while.

Likewise with Nicole Kidman, except tenfold in her case.

Agreed. I was terribly afraid the Academy was going to nominate her just because she's Nicole Kidman (big whoop).

hasselbrad
11-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Yes, it was indeed a treat to see Cillian Murphy in the film. As well as Brendan Gleeson, the father in 28 Days Later. Minghella must have liked that movie a lot.

But I didn't like Cold Mountain, to be honest. We've seen these kind of films before, with Gone With the Wind and Doctor Zhivago (the original), but the difference between those films and Cold Mountain is that you could feel the passion not only for the film itself from the director, but also passion between the characters. I personally found this element extremely lacking, and almost non-existent in this film. For this reason, I found it difficult to keep myself interested in the story and it simply dragged on and on for me.

Also, the acting from three leads was very disappointing. Jude Law has been good in the past, but he was dreadfully miscast in this film. Likewise with Nicole Kidman, except tenfold in her case. Renee Zellweger was decent, but I'd hardly call it Oscar-worthy, since I could think of several other actresses who could play that part just as well. As a result, the film wound up being carried on the shoulders of all the various extended cameos: Natalie Portman, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Brendan Gleeson, Ray Winstone (despite his ridiculous accent), Cillian Murphy, Donald Sutherland, Eileen Atkins, and Jack White. But shouldn't the acting in a film like this be carried by the leads? Hmm.

Maybe if I saw it a second time, I'd like it a little more, but as of now, I'm not a fan.

This makes me want to see it just to see the cameos.
I got it for my mother for her birthday. Maybe I'll steal it and watch.

The Black Rider
11-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Did his accent seem funny to you, too? I couldn't place what he was going for and it got a little annoying after a while.

It wasn't the accent that bothered me, but what you said about it hit the nail on the head in terms of the performance. He didn't seem to know what to do with the part, so he brought little to it apart from whatever emotion the scenes seemed to call for.

holly berry
11-10-2004, 08:23 PM
In the first version of the movie nat portman shoots herself then they changed it to her almost getting raped. Really liked Jude Law's accent but hated nicole

Louie
11-10-2004, 10:19 PM
SPOILER

Hey did anyone notice that when Nicole Kidman sees Jude Law after the war, her eyes are really big and scary looking?

GuinevereLover
11-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I reckon that Sara in Cold Mountain was Natalie Portman's most powerful role to date ( I haven't seen Garden State so don't know how good it is) If you get the DVD it has the scene where Sara kills herself as one of the Deleted Scenes on the Bonus Disk. And for the record the soldiers were in fact Yankees not Feds! If you listen to Sara telling Inman to get out she says
"Yankees are coming!! Get Dressed!!!"

DragonRat
12-10-2004, 02:28 AM
That scene with Natalie Portman in Cold Mountain was probably the best scene in the movie, simply because (in my honest opinion) Portman is a much better actress at this stage of her career than Kidman, and Portman can convey so much emotion - the strong-willed widow hanging by a thread.

Still, it was only a short scene in the movie, and Nat's performance in Garden State was simply outstanding.

Narzys
13-10-2004, 05:13 PM
That scene with Natalie Portman in Cold Mountain was probably the best scene in the movie, simply because (in my honest opinion) Portman is a much better actress at this stage of her career than Kidman, and Portman can convey so much emotion - the strong-willed widow hanging by a thread.

Still, it was only a short scene in the movie, and Nat's performance in Garden State was simply outstanding.

I think you're right, if you talk about stage of career... but Kidman now is a very, very good actress. With some very own way of acting, which I love.

Garden State: Not released overhere... I very like to see it a soon as I can. Portman rulez! :)

bob
15-10-2004, 01:55 PM
hmm... a few of us went to watch this when it came out, simply because one of our friends is a big jude law fan (and i think it was around the time 'potc' was out? and we actually wanted to see that instead). the only other people in the cinema were a couple of pensioners and another group of teenage jude law fans. needless to say, we made it a point to dislike the film just to spite our friend.

but natalie portman was good. and i actually preferred renee zellweger over nicole kidman in the film. kidman's role was just plain whiny. not being a jude law fan myself, watching him literally walk toward his death was just... not what i call entertainment. and 'garden state' isn't out here either, plus i wanna see 'closer' (despite the julia roberts factor)