PDA

View Full Version : SpiderMan 2 sucked so bad....no spoiler....saving you trouble

Kyle_West
30-06-2004, 08:30 AM
well I just realized this forum was back up so I figured this can be my comeback post.....I catched the 12:01 premiere in my town and there is at least 4 dozen things wrong with it. But I'm sure many of you know what I am talking about.....hopefully. The acting made me cringe in my seat. I never thought Tobey Mcguire could act to begin with. But no one in this movie can act. The Dialogue is crummy....Absolutely repulsive. I felt like the Wachowski brothers ruined another good original movie. The action was held to a minimal.....the main fight against doctor octopus may have lasted 90 seconds max. On top of it all, Tobey Mcguire did his "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" attitude all movie long. "I love you, but I cant hurt you" "O shit wait I dont have to hurt you" "Wait yes I do" It may be the most predictable movie I have seen since the lost world Jurassic Park. Carnage better kick major ass in the 3rd one. Or the Hob Goblin or whatever it is. Because this one will drive me away from a super hero movie for a while. They make him look like Jesus in some scenes. Very fruity movie and everything in it is incredibly corny. Now the 3 people I went with said it was a debacle just like how I said it. But at the end of the movie all the middle aged nerds with there gameboy advances applauded. Had to be hardcore to like that shit.

Pygmalion
30-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Its really that awful? I was gonna see it...
A movie thats REALLy bad but which makes it Oh so funny is the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. It was the FUNNIEST movie I've seen all year!
Its completely different from any zombie movie I've ever seen! Take in Resident Evil (Milla....mmmmm) it took AGES for the zombies to actually appear-in Dawn of the Dead its like the directors thought: "hey lets cram in as much blood and zombies as we can from the opening scene!" Its well worth the $8:00 if you want a chuckle, and don't mind seeing zombies with no legs dropping on top of people.

Jacoby
30-06-2004, 12:35 PM
It's being called 'best hero movie ever'. I think I'll 'waste my time' and see it. I may be seeing it today sometime, so if it is really terrible as you've said, I'll edit this post. But if it's great......I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably just edit this post.

Kyle_West
30-06-2004, 01:52 PM
I know thats what it is being called. Which is why I don't understand it. I hate it, everyone I went with hated it. If you are a hardcore comic book reader. which there were alot of people there that were. I wanted to see it, but these people are the........freaky people. But yeah, let me know what you think.

Sarah
30-06-2004, 02:16 PM
You make it sound really bad. I was under the impression that it was going to be quite good. I may go and see it if I can be bothered. If not, then I'll wait until I can rent it.

ryan
30-06-2004, 02:48 PM
im going to see it this afternoon.
ill let you all know what i think afterwards.

calereneau
30-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Me_llamo_kyle: the ultimate source for movie reviews!

I don't know, I think I'll go ahead and trust Joel Siegel. Just my personal preference, that's all.

Object Of Affection
30-06-2004, 10:26 PM
For get spiderman see SHREK 2 Woo!

wish keira did a voice for that, be so coOl

i'd like to see her do an animation film :D

apoggy
30-06-2004, 10:33 PM
i'd like to see her do an animation film :D

really? how strange :p

Hazzle
30-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I felt like the Wachowski brothers ruined another good original movie.

That presumes that The Matrix was better than the latter two...I disagree...the original was lacklustre.

As for Spiderman...the original was good, very good in fact, but could've been far better...too much action crammed into it. If you know what Spiderman's about, it's about the CHARACTERS, not the whole superhero gig which is infuriating...that's why Spidey was one of the few superheroes I liked (Batman will always be my favourite)

The action was held to a minimal.....the main fight against doctor octopus may have lasted 90 seconds max.

Excellent. I don't want to see fight sequences...I want to see a film...y'know...a piece of art bringing a comic book alive.

On top of it all, Tobey Mcguire did his "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" attitude all movie long. "I love you, but I cant hurt you" "O shit wait I dont have to hurt you" "Wait yes I do"

Which is sort of what PP does in the comics for about the entire back catalogue of issues...do you even read Spiderman comics?

It may be the most predictable movie I have seen since the lost world Jurassic Park. Carnage better kick major ass in the 3rd one. Or the Hob Goblin or whatever it is.

I heard Venom...but it could be Carnage...doubt it'll be HG though.

But at the end of the movie all the middle aged nerds with there gameboy advances applauded. Had to be hardcore to like that shit.

Ahh...phew...so I'll love it then...I've been collecting Spiderman comics for over 10 years... :)

Jacoby
01-07-2004, 02:21 AM
It's been quoted as 'the best super hero film', and I completely agree. I thought this movie briliant. I can't believe you disliked it. Shame on you. I'm kidding, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and yada yada. But honestly, go see this movie, it was great. Sometimes the way the characters acted and the way scenes were shot made you feel akward, but it holds nothing against the story. Genius.

mufiman
01-07-2004, 04:12 AM
i totally agree with jacoby, this is the best superhero movie ever. mostly everything was good about it. they didnt overdo the fight scenes and there were little of them, which was fine. they focused on the characters more and it was a great movie. everyone was good in the cast. The film does play things quite a bit "darker" in this sequel and it had a certain "depressed" feel about it at times, but it was still very entertaining and fun. J. Jonah Jameson was definately my most favorite characters, although i dont care for kirsten dunst, who i think was the worst of the cast. some parts were a bit corny, but all movies have their share of corny moments.

Jacoby
01-07-2004, 06:20 AM
They had a behind the scenes look of Spider-man on VH1, and someone mentioned that the first movie deals with Peter getting his powers, and the second film deals with how he deals with his burden. In my eyes, the idea of fighting his powers is what makes the film so intruiging. This movie has it's obvious action moments, but it's depth with the characters is what makes it so interesting. Rather than mindless extensive fight scenes with Spidey and the bad guy, there's more conflict of characters. Once again, loved it.

although i dont care for kirsten dunst, who i think was the worst of the cast.

Agreed. She has this cockyness that's always bothered me.

OK, I'll stop posting in this thread.

Ashlyn
01-07-2004, 08:26 AM
I was one of the few people who couldn't stand the first Spiderman, I *really* didn't like it. But I like Kirsten Dunst too much so I'll end up seeing the second one anyway... Maybe I'll be surprised.

Kyle_West
01-07-2004, 12:09 PM
But I am not in the least bit suprised. Maybe my hate for Tobey and Kirsten made me think what a bad movie. I found it boring, I almost fell asleep. I know peter parker whines alot in the comics, they sure as hell showed it in the movie. To the point I about jumped out of my seat and yelled shut up. They make him look like a savior in the movie. Crowd surf scene was as gay as it gets....I laughed at it.....One of the only parts I laughed at. But people stared at me. Doc Octopus was my favorite villian in spiderman. GG got on my nerves. But Williem Dafoe is a terrific actor. So I enjoyed it. Maybe this is just one of those movies for me that I hate that everyone else likes.....like top gun or the sum of all fears.

Thinking about this I do remember a few neat scenes from it.

1) "You can't get off if you never get on"-Mary Jane.....funny line
2) Spiderman getting his shit ruined by falling and hurting his back.
3) When he slid on the road chasing the train.

Thats it.

Also, whats the point of him wearing his mask now? So many people know who he is. Kinda defeats the purpose....But anywho, I liked X2, the original spider man, and ever the hulk more than this movie. If it weren't for me having a sence of humor making fun of the movie I would've been out like a log. But glad others enjoyed it, maybe I had high hopes. Or maybe not. O well not a big deal.

p.s. Collecting comic books doesn't make you pathetic in the least. 10 years-40 years. I meant that these grown men sit there and talk about star trek and play gameboy advances. I consider myself a nerd to alot of extenses but these people were just too much. You get the picture.

ryan
01-07-2004, 12:12 PM
it was alright. entertaining, yes, but is it something incredible? not really.

overall, it was a pretty good movie. there were parts i thought boring, but it was worth the $6.25 ticket.

X2 gets my vote as the best comic book movie to date.

danny cool
01-07-2004, 12:14 PM
right then il see shrek to insted fanx for the advanced warning

Renegade
01-07-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm kinda skeptical about watching Spiderman 2 today. People, especially critics, have been raving it's the greatest superhero film of all time. Up to now, like others on the forum, X2 has my favorite superhero movie so far. I wasn't expecting much from X2 considering how lackluster the first one was hyped to be. But in the end, it surprised me how much it surpassed its predecessor. Like X2, I won't go into Spiderman 2 with really high hopes. Maybe this movie will surprise me also. Last time I had high hopes for a movie, I left the theater with a nasty taste in my mouth after watching The Hulk.

Object Of Affection
01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
So is spiderman 2 that bad??? mind it the first one wasn't much to write home about but kirsten dunst :rolleyes: she makes the film.

Cos i was going to watch the special preview one we get cos i work at the cinema so we can watch when it comes in :D

So can't wait to get king arthur in :D

Kelsey
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Ashlyn, I dispised the first Spider-Man, so I completely agree with you on that.

And I also agree with everyone who said they don't like Kirsten Dunst. I can't stand that girl...I want to slap her. Whoever said she has a sense of cockiness about her said it perfectly. The only thing I've ever liked her in was "Mona Lisa Smile" but I'm thinking thats because thats the closest to natural she can get as an actress.

As for Spider-Man 2, I'll see it but that's only because I see *everything*. I won't go on my own time though...I work projections at a movie theater so I'll watch it from there.

And lastly, I agree with the majority here who say their favorite superhero film is X2. I loved it, but I also really liked Daredevil, as forgettable as it was, and I'm excited for the sequel. I don't really get all excited about comic book movies because I prefer character driven, original stuff....but I'm *really* excited for Elektra. I read those comics way back when and am curious to see how they do the movie. After what happened to her in Daredevil, if I remember correctly, she becomes a prostitute and hitman. I don't know...Jennifer Garner doesn't strike me as the hooker/hitman type.

Hazzle
01-07-2004, 11:26 PM
like top gun or the sum of all fears.

Top Gun...GRRRRR...one of my favourite EVER films...loved it when I was growing up :mad:

p.s. Collecting comic books doesn't make you pathetic in the least. 10 years-40 years. I meant that these grown men sit there and talk about star trek and play gameboy advances. I consider myself a nerd to alot of extenses but these people were just too much. You get the picture.

Yeah...sorry...I thought you were taking a pot shot and comic collectors :)

Ashlyn, I dispised the first Spider-Man, so I completely agree with you on that.

Yes...but you lack taste ;) Only kidding :D

And I also agree with everyone who said they don't like Kirsten Dunst. I can't stand that girl...I want to slap her. Whoever said she has a sense of cockiness about her said it perfectly.

Liked her in Interview when she was younger...but not since...she is purty though...mmmmmm...:o

After what happened to her in Daredevil, if I remember correctly, she becomes a prostitute and hitman. I don't know...Jennifer Garner doesn't strike me as the hooker/hitman type.

I believe that's the case...oh I can imagine JG as a hooker <dreams> :cool:

Vertical Vortex
02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Spiderman 1 was also sucky... ugly special effects and stuff, and 2 will be just like it.. but first i have to see it before i can judge...

Alendor
03-07-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm going to see SPII next wednesday and nothing is going to stop me. NOTHING. I liked the first the first one and the second one looks to surpass it in every way as well as break all it's records.
As rude as it might sound I don't care, what the few here says about ti being bad.
If you look at rottentomatoes.com, then you'll see that it has gotten around 146 postive reviews and 9 negative. Then I'll just add the few here to the negative and it mgiht get all the way to 15 against 146.
I'm the oneman promoter for SPII at the Danish buffy-forum, where nonone hates it as far as I know. So I can add another 20 I know, who'll love it. Now we got 15 against 166.
I'm actually also a newly revived Kirsten Dunst fan and proud of it.

DefyingGravity
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I thought it was quite brilliant, although somewhat disturbing in some part.

Forgive me, but I really don't think that Kirsten Dunst can act all that well...

keira loves lipgloss
04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
really spider man 2 sucked it looks quite good on the adverts :rolleyes:

DragonRat
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I actually enjoyed Spider-Man 2. I think it was really well-crafted, and it really explored character development. I think they may have rushed some of the plot, but it leaves open the possibility of the third movie's plotlines. On par with the original movie, or actually better, in my opinion. The acting may have been somewhat melodramatic, but one must admit, there is an intensity and conflict growing in every single main character.

Kyle_West
04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
everyone has loved this movie. not just on here but friends. all but us 4 that went. I can't believe it. Maybe I expected more? I guess that could be it. X2 is the best comic book movie. O yeah, the faces Tobey Mcguire made during the train scene made me laugh, so yeah there is another part I thought was funny that wasn't meant to be.

Alendor
04-07-2004, 05:12 PM
3 days untill I can see it. :)
X2 is commonly knonw among friends of mine as the best comicbookmovie yet and X3 is highly anticipated.
I liked both X-men movies...a lot, but I do think that SPII is going to top it. The only downside to that would be that I have to wait untill 2007 for Raimi's conclusion on his Spider-man trilogy.
I find it great that he has given himself another year more than needed, so he can get a decent script and etc.

Renegade
06-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Spiderman 2 was brilliant. *Beware, Spoiler ahead* The identity being unveiled was a complete surprise. I for one didn't expect that to happen. It was interesting to see how MJ and Harry reacted. Plus, the movie also dealt with Peter's troubles and complications that came with being Spiderman.

Great film.

Fancyman
08-07-2004, 02:58 AM
I didn't really like it. After seeing the first one, this movie was same old same old. Actually ther was very little added development. The love aspect was slightly better in this one i guess, more conclusive. As far as the villain is concerned, it might as well have been the green goblin all over again. I mean science experiment goes wrong, scientist gets over zealous, hes basically a good person but the technology causes him to act evil. Spidy fights him, looks like he might lose, but wins. YAY! The movie barely kept my interest. I probably would have hated the film if i hadnt seen it in the drive in with white chicks following it. Even Signs would have looked good if it was followed by white chicks. If you're wondering why i stayed for the 2nd movie....well i went with my girlfriend...use your imagination.

Kyle_West
08-07-2004, 03:45 AM
I didn't really like it. After seeing the first one, this movie was same old same old. Actually ther was very little added development. The love aspect was slightly better in this one i guess, more conclusive. As far as the villain is concerned, it might as well have been the green goblin all over again. I mean science experiment goes wrong, scientist gets over zealous, hes basically a good person but the technology causes him to act evil. Spidy fights him, looks like he might lose, but wins. YAY! The movie barely kept my interest. I probably would have hated the film if i hadnt seen it in the drive in with white chicks following it. Even Signs would have looked good if it was followed by white chicks. If you're wondering why i stayed for the 2nd movie....well i went with my girlfriend...use your imagination.

Finally! Someone else thought it was dog shit! although it had to be better than White Chicks. King Arthur pwns them both anyways

Object Of Affection
08-07-2004, 07:29 PM
WEll i saw it last night.......... i must admit with all the shit that has been said about this film i wasn't going in with much faith but i was quite suprised cos i thought it was pretty Cool i loved the Special Fx (specially the train bit) the storyline was so-so bit boring in some parts. But i had my friend with me who is a maRvel Maniac :cool: and has read all the comics and yeah it doesn't really follow on that as i was told.......

And yeah (sorry to ruin it again "close your eyes if ya haven't seen it") the identity thing was abit StupiD cos every one knows who he is and they've got to make like 5 more spiderman films :confused:

Anyways i thought it was cool "typical spiderman moovie" so well worth a watch :D

alby
15-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I thought Spiderman II was quite good actually. Hate it or love it, you'll have to admit that SPII is going on an incredible run at the box office. Last count was $267 million in the states.

New Line is in talks with Tom Cruise for Iron Man, which is supposed to released in the summer of 2005. 20th Century Fox plans to release Elektra (Jennifer Garner) in Febrary of next year.

Studios seem to be superhero crazy now.

Sarah
15-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm going to see Spider-Man II this afternoon with a bunch of people, so I'll see for myself. I'll probably like it.

deviljet88
15-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I liked it when I saw it on Sunday (I took my time posting). I don't get what's so bad about it. It is much better than the first movie which I fell asleep in at the end. Spiderman 2 has a nicer happier ending anyway. Always good to see the hero not suffer.

frodo1511
15-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I saw spidey II on opening day/ the monday after, and I have to say, it sucked.I prefered the original, but thought that with it's darker tone, could stand up to it's predesser. The dialogue's terrible, scenes downright funny, even where they shouldnt (remember Tobey screaming "I'm back, I'm back!!!:) I think the best part(s) of the movie was Jonah Jameson, who is hysterical, and Dafoe, who completely came out of nowhere in this film. But, as many have said, the graphics suffer from being too much like a video game, instead of state-of-the-art.
I enjoyed X2 and the Punisher immensley as my favorite comic book movies.
Ever.

Sarah
15-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm back. I enjoed it. There were some corny moments in it, but I really liked it. I suppose *spoiler* that Harry will become The Green Goblin now?

frodo1511
15-07-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm back. I enjoed it. There were some corny moments in it, but I really liked it. I suppose *spoiler* that Harry will become The Green Goblin now?

In response to that, Harry becomes the Hobgoblin in the comic books, and in an interview, James Franco(Harry) said that they may not focus on him as the main baddy, because there was already one 'gobby in the series.

Sarah
15-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Oh, thats interesting. I've never read the comic books, so please ignore my lack of Spider-Man knowledge.

Spire
15-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I hate comic book movies. And Spiderman 2 is no exception, in fact it's probably the worst movie I've seen this year. The original was crap, this is possibly worse. Unfortunately, the movie's plot focuses on by biggest character pet peeve. Angsty, confused morons. Peter Parker goes through the "I want to fight/I don't want to fight" debate through most of this movie. Had I not seen this a million times before, and if it wasn't so damn annoying, I might cut the movie some slack. Spiderman 2's plot is so textbook, it burns my brain. It's like watching a movie you've seen a thousand times before, except this time you hated the characters before the movie even started. The critics can say what they will, I'm thirsty for something different, something that isn't predictable.

MC117
15-07-2004, 06:14 PM
can't believe you guys hated it, I think it totally rocked and no i am no where close to a comic book reader, infact i have never even read one... i think the reason why you guys hated it is because after the movie was over, you held your hand out and did that thing and nothing came out and you realized that your no spiderman! so you where like **** (joke)
everyones got there own opinions

frodo1511
15-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh, thats interesting. I've never read the comic books, so please ignore my lack of Spider-Man knowledge.

Neither have I, this is from one of my friends who lives, breaths, and dreams the Amazing Spider-Man comic.
Waste of time really...

DragonRat
15-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Wait, I thought the Hobgoblin was another guy who stole some of the technology off Oscorps for his own evil purposes. I think I DO remember that Harry Osborne took upon the mantle of the Green Goblin from his father. Because there were epic battles in the comics, in which Spidey took on both the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin simultaneously.

Hazzle
16-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Wait, I thought the Hobgoblin was another guy who stole some of the technology off Oscorps for his own evil purposes. I think I DO remember that Harry Osborne took upon the mantle of the Green Goblin from his father. Because there were epic battles in the comics, in which Spidey took on both the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin simultaneously.

Ok...let me explain as I'm an ardent Spidey fan.

Ok...Green Goblin actually had THREE incarnations. Number 1 was Norman Osborn (as in the first film) who killed Gwen Stacey (PP's girlfriend before Mary Jane). Number 2 is Harry. This may spoil the future film...but Harry dies as the GG, ironically, saving Parker's life. The final incarnation is Harry's psychiatrist...who also dies...GG is bad luck for whoever takes on the mantle, it seems.

Hobgoblin had 2 incarnations. Number 1 was a Daily Bugle reporter called Ned Leeds (not sure if you guys have come across him) who comes across the GG equipment and modifies it, becoming the Hobgoblin (so I'm unsure how they worked the dual fighting, but I'm sure you remember it DR...I don't recall that myself...Hobgoblin and others, and GG and others, but I don't recall ever seeing the two together). No surprise...he died. Incarnation 2 was a villain formerly known as Jack O Lantern who takes on the HG mantle...oddly enough he's the only one of the entire lot to still be alive.

Jacoby
16-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Thanks for blowing the ending Hazzle! :mad:
Kidding,
I remember the old Spidey cartoons, takes me back. That cartoon and X-Men were like my Jesus. Good stuff.

Hazzle
18-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Ok...my review.

This was easily the best comic book adaptation ever, as it captured the spirit both of comics generally, and of Spiderman more specifically. As such is JUST gets past Burton's Batman films.

On the positives, the action sequences were crisper, sharper, and just seemed more polished and less rushed. They were also spaced out nicely, with good use of humour and character development all woven together by a good strong plot. The plot, character development and action were all better than the original.

On the negative side, there was a fair bit of cliche. But I ask you, is that a negative for comic book films? Surely, since comic books are laden with cliche, it's actually entirely fitting for there to be cliche in such a film? If anything, I felt the X-men films lacked enough cliche to make them feel like comic book films. I used to collect X-men comics and Spidey ones, and the Spiderman films fulfilled my expectations so much more. The cliches also fit well with the idea that Spiderman is a hero of the PEOPLE, unlike other superheros like Superman who're perceived more as "guardians" than "one of the people". That's where the crowdsurfing scene was so well done, as it captured the heart and soul of Spiderman.

The acting wasn't mind blowing, but it wasn't terrible either, and basically it delivered what it had to. Harry Osbourne was played superbly, and Tobey Maguire was much better in this film, really capturing Peter's inner struggle. Kirsten Dunst was, sadly, Kirsten Dunst...it's a shame she can't recapture her child star days. Doc Oc could've been better, but was all in all not bad...

The ending was a tad odd, by cutting back to Mary Jane like that (won't say any more for those who haven't seen it)...but that's a minor gripe.

All in all, 9.5 or 10 out of 10...and certainly the best comic book adaptation I've seen (better than Superman films, Batman films, Daredevil, X-men films, The Hulk...). Of course I suspect Kevin Smith's Green Hornet will be the very best ever, when it's done.

deviljet88
18-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Hm... I watched the first one, but must've missed a lot. Didn't figure out there was a hobgoblin. Anyway, that kid, what's his name... Harry? It was pretty obvious he would take the Green Goblin mantle from the 2nd movie ending after discovering all that junk in the lair. Cutting back to MJ was good, I like happy endings :P

Pinkfairy
18-07-2004, 07:51 AM
I'll tell why I Spider-man 2 wasn't as good in my opinion: it was exactly like the first movie. Exactly like the first one (rescuing kids on the street, building on fire, women hanging from high places...and more). I loved the first one, but I expected something different for the second one. It was good, but it just wasn't different. Sure, it had its cheesy humor which like Hazzle said is ok for a movie based on a comic, but *spoiler* the way Spider-man convinced Doc Oc to do the right thing was too much. And I agree with Spire on this: peter Parker can't help himself, and he wants to help the world cause he's responsible!?!.They even stole the ''depth'' from the first movie (the bit where he feels guilty for uncle ben's death again). The acting wasn't bad considering the job didn't demand much of the actors. It was Harry, that James guy (editor of the paper) and Mr. Aziz who left the biggest impression on me. I'm not saying it completely sucked because it was good, but it's exactly like the first one.

Kyle_West
18-07-2004, 09:06 AM
James Franco did do a good job. But Willem Dafoe's 7 seconds on the screen......he was the best in the movie. I am not kidding. He is such a great actor.

deviljet88
18-07-2004, 11:25 AM
James Franco did do a good job. But Willem Dafoe's 7 seconds on the screen......he was the best in the movie. I am not kidding. He is such a great actor.
He was the best in the movie because you think he's a great actor or the actual stuff he did? I mean all he said was something about revenging him, and I'm your father!. Didn't seem much tougher than... say... that pizza dude at the start?

alby
18-07-2004, 01:19 PM

He looked quite scary when he dressed up as a woman in Boondock Saints (forgive the spelling).

Hazzle
18-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I'll tell why I Spider-man 2 wasn't as good in my opinion: it was exactly like the first movie. Exactly like the first one (rescuing kids on the street, building on fire, women hanging from high places...and more). I loved the first one, but I expected something different for the second one. It was good, but it just wasn't different.

Why? It's simply continuing the plot...and it was BETTER. Where the first was rushed and looked it, the second half looking like it was edited by a blind monk, the second film was perfectly paced. All that rescuing stuff is err...what comics are about?!?!

Sure, it had its cheesy humor which like Hazzle said is ok for a movie based on a comic, but *spoiler* the way Spider-man convinced Doc Oc to do the right thing was too much.

Clearly someone doesn't know much about Doc Oc...Doc Oc was always a good guy in the comics who was just sent mad by his wife dying...love can do that to you...but he was never an evil man, nor was he really mad in the same way as GG...Oc does the right thing a LOT in the comics...a fair few times he spared Spidey's life when he could've killed him.

And I agree with Spire on this: peter Parker can't help himself, and he wants to help the world cause he's responsible!?!.They even stole the ''depth'' from the first movie (the bit where he feels guilty for uncle ben's death again).

Err...do you read Spiderman comics? That's the ENTIRE premise of the entire comic series...wtf do you want them to do, decimate the comic to make a better movie? If they'd done that I'd have been sick...as it was I was amazed...best film I've seen in years...yes...better than POTC by a decent way. Humour wasn't as good as POTC, but the plot was so much better, and the depth to character...sooo good.

The acting wasn't bad considering the job didn't demand much of the actors. It was Harry, that James guy (editor of the paper) and Mr. Aziz who left the biggest impression on me. I'm not saying it completely sucked because it was good, but it's exactly like the first one.

Err...based on the same comic methinks? It was a continuation of the plot...and actually it improved on the biggest flaws in the first...where that got 7.5 or 8 out of 10, this got 9.5 or 10/10...and I VERY rarely give anything 10/10...

frodo1511
18-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Just to piss Hazzle off, here's my short and sweet review of Spidey 2:
"Crap,
crap,
mega crap."

J. Jameson couldn't say it better. :cool:

j/k it was a decent movie. 8.5/10 for me

ChocolateMoose
19-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I haven't seen Spiderman 2 yet, but have heard so many opinions on it, which vary from "it was amazing" to "don't waste your money"...people say its just like the first one as well. And I saw the first one too many times and it really started to annoy me, mainly because of Tobey Maguires voice :o but I want to see something different when I see the sequel, not just a repeat...should I go? What are your opinions....

Pinkfairy
19-07-2004, 07:20 AM
I'm not saying it was bad. It was good, I just expected something a bit different. Maybe a bit more creativity when it comes to the villain's freak accidents. Sure, the comics allow a lot of things, and I know that in Spider-man something always goes wrong, but maybe they should have been more careful, considering theather is a different media, and the audiences are tougher. I just think they stuck to first movie's formula. I do realize though that Sam Raimi is a good director (I watched the evil dead movie) and he really did a good job. And I probably won't be dissapointed with the third movie cause now I know what to expect having watched the second one.

jadie
19-07-2004, 07:54 PM
i thought it was fine, but I HATED mary jane in this one. she gets so frickin annoying! I cant stand her. She's pushy! "do you love me?" "do you love me?" "dont disappoint me peter" blah blah blah la la la i just wanted her to shut up. Thats just my opinion.

acliff
19-07-2004, 10:34 PM
i thought it was fine, but I HATED mary jane in this one. she gets so frickin annoying! I cant stand her. She's pushy! "do you love me?" "do you love me?" "dont disappoint me peter" blah blah blah la la la i just wanted her to shut up. Thats just my opinion.

Well, if the person that I truly loved was being an evasive, and whiny, I would probably be a bit pushy about it too. And considering the way and things that Peter Parker says to her, I think its entirely justified.

KittyPunk
20-07-2004, 01:23 AM
I have no clue what they are thinkin. Spiderman 2 is cool except i have to agree with jadie the mj is very annoying till the end.

narya
20-07-2004, 01:30 AM
I actuallu kinda liked it...probably cause i was with my best friend who i like to see movies and make fun of them with.
It got sooooo cheesy about halfway through. I am an Alfred Molina fan, though. Yay for old british men! How hott were those man tits?

You know whats funny, I haven't even seen the first one yet.

Hazzle
20-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Well, if the person that I truly loved was being an evasive, and whiny, I would probably be a bit pushy about it too. And considering the way and things that Peter Parker says to her, I think its entirely justified.

Cliff gets a cookie for actually GETTING that...sheesh...every criticism of the filmwould be better understood if people tried to envision the characters as human beings...that's the beauty of the comics, and the beauty of the film...PP is a normal guy with normal feelings, MJ is a normal girl who doesn't know why the man she loves is being so distant one minute and then so on the next and then distant again. I think, as Cliff said, her reaction was natural.

deviljet88
20-07-2004, 06:52 AM
PP is a normal guy with normal feelings

Yes, and that's until Peter Parker turns into Spiderman, which only the audience and PP knows. I think that's the "annoying" thing about MJ, since you already know why PP is always trying to shrug off MJ, while MJ doesn't know why she's left out when PP shows all the signs of liking her.

Hazzle
20-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Yes, and that's until Peter Parker turns into Spiderman, which only the audience and PP knows. I think that's the "annoying" thing about MJ, since you already know why PP is always trying to shrug off MJ, while MJ doesn't know why she's left out when PP shows all the signs of liking her.

EXACTLY...you're thinking "SHEESH WOMAN, NO, HE CAN'T BLOODY DATE YOU AS HE'S SPIDERMAN"...which, once you think about it, isn't exactly the point as she doesn't know...and I actually like the fact you think that way as yer supposed to...

frodo1511
21-07-2004, 02:43 AM
EXACTLY...you're thinking "SHEESH WOMAN, NO, HE CAN'T BLOODY DATE YOU AS HE'S SPIDERMAN"...which, once you think about it, isn't exactly the point as she doesn't know...and I actually like the fact you think that way as yer supposed to...

Ok everyone, remember the ending of Spidey I. At Norman Osborns funeral, where peter says to MJ that he will always be her friend. Now think to where peter leaves, and MJ has that suspicious look of "No, he's not him, is he?"
Was that a scene of total bullshit, or did she for once think that Parker was spidey?

Richard
21-07-2004, 02:46 AM
Ok everyone, remember the ending of Spidey I. At Norman Osborns funeral, where peter says to MJ that he will always be her friend. Now think to where peter leaves, and MJ has that suspicious look of "No, he's not him, is he?"
Was that a scene of total bullshit, or did she for once think that Parker was spidey?

It could be total bullshit, but I thought the same thing. I haven't seen Spider-Man 2, but does she at all mention the suspicious kiss?

A simple yes or no would be fine. Don't spoil it for me.

Josher
21-07-2004, 02:48 AM
I found Spiderman 2 to be very cheesy and did not like it at all. I liked Spiderman 1 much much more. You all know there will be a Spiderman 3 now :) .

Hazzle
21-07-2004, 02:50 AM
The cheesy is part of comic book films...sheesh do you lot READ classic comics? Cliche is a necessary part of any good comic...oh I give up...yer all retarded.

Renegade
21-07-2004, 02:52 AM

That came across my mind when I saw it a couple nights ago. I think she did suspect Peter to be Spidey. And I think that carried on to the second film. Remember the scene in SM2 when she asks John to lean his head back so that she could kiss him. She was unsure with her and Peter's love. Well I'm thinking she would've only asked John to do that if she was sure Peter was Spiderman to see if John would give off the same feeling she felt with Peter when she kissed him in the first (i.e. Kissing in the rain scene).

frodo1511
21-07-2004, 02:57 AM
That came across my mind when I saw it a couple nights ago. I think she did suspect Peter to be Spidey. And I think that carried on to the second film. Remember the scene in SM2 when she asks John to lean his head back so that she could kiss him. She was unsure with her and Peter's love. Well I'm thinking she would've only asked John to do that if she was sure Peter was Spiderman to see if John would give off the same feeling she felt with Peter when she kissed him in the first (i.e. Kissing in the rain scene).

Yeah, I think that at that part, she had more of an idea that " Peter=Spidey?" But did MJ put the pieces of the puzzle together like this:
Rain kiss,
funeral kiss,
John kiss? That is how I came to the conclusion(well, besides the obvious way, but I wont say for all who haven't seen the movie yet:)

Renegade
21-07-2004, 03:32 AM
In my opinion, Spiderman 2 was better than X2. X2 had way too many characters in the film for the audience to actually care and feel for them. There was Jean but I doubt she inspired the concern amongst the audience that Peter inspired with his complications. I actually felt for Peter losing his job, living in a broken-down apartment, not being able to pay rent, watching his aunt suffer with the mortgage payments, not having a good relationship with his best friend, and not being able to tell the woman he loves that he wants to be with her so bad. The action scenes in both movies were great but SM2 had a lot more emotional depth compared to X2.

DesignatedJerk
22-07-2004, 02:24 AM
i thought they did a pretty good job in this one. it was better than the first. I mean you can only go up after the first spider man.

KeiraFAN_
22-07-2004, 03:31 AM
I thought this movie was ok but you are right it was predictable

Hazzle
23-07-2004, 12:35 AM
i thought they did a pretty good job in this one. it was better than the first. I mean you can only go up after the first spider man.

First one was alright...6 out of 10 or so...yes...the same as I'd give X-2. Spidey 2 was a 9.5 at LEAST.

Renegade hit the nails (yes, all of them) right on the head. The upside down kiss with John, the characters in X-2 (too many) the way you feel for PP in Spidey 2...THAT'S what made Spidey 2 soooo good. It felt real yet looked unreal...genius of the comic that is :).

Anyway...