PDA

View Full Version : Supersize Me

CFC
28-09-2004, 12:36 AM
I believe this film releases on DVD tomorrow. Should I get it? I have not seen it, but I have heard things about it. Will it make me throw up even though I don't eat fast food very often?

Mags
28-09-2004, 12:39 AM
It's absolutely excellent. Everyone should see it. It didn't make me throw up...but it was incredibly enlightening.

Do it.

Dyce_Blue
28-09-2004, 12:41 AM
I really wanted to see this one, but I didn't get around to it. I'm looking forward to seeing the interview with the man who ate 19,000 (currently 20,000) Big Macs.

frodo1511
28-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Meh, the thought of seeing a guy eat nothing but McDonald's food for x amount of time, and watching him get fat over it is not my cup of tea. I'll be watching Star Wars again, thank you.

Jacoby
28-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Meh, the thought of seeing a guy eat nothing but McDonald's food for x amount of time, and watching him get fat over it is not my cup of tea. I'll be watching Star Wars again, thank you.

You obviously hadn't heard what the film is actually about. Or you're just an idiot. I'll let you, the reader, decide.

frodo1511
28-09-2004, 01:08 AM
You obviously hadn't heard what the film is actually about. Or you're just an idiot. I'll let you, the reader, decide.

"Writer-director Morgan Spurlock puts his money where his mouth is to document the physical and emotional effects of eating nothing but fast food, specifically McDonald's, for one month."

Like I said, dosen't appeal to me whatsoever.

Richard
28-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I'll be renting this movie soon. And I love McDonald's.

The Black Rider
28-09-2004, 10:26 PM
I'll probably see it eventually, but I have no desire to see it in the near future.

Why is this guy getting so much attention? Everyone knows that if you eat too much food from McDonald's that it's bad for you. So what? I could go out and make a three hour documentary exploring the idea that trees grow from the ground. It could be extremely well made, funny or moving, but does that make it worthwhile?

I report. You decide.

hasselbrad
28-09-2004, 10:46 PM
I don't need to see it...I've lived it. Nothing but junk food and beer makes you even fatter. Especially when the experiment goes on for years!

acliff
28-09-2004, 11:00 PM
I'll probably see it eventually, but I have no desire to see it in the near future.

Why is this guy getting so much attention? Everyone knows that if you eat too much food from McDonald's that it's bad for you. So what? I could go out and make a three hour documentary exploring the idea that trees grow from the ground. It could be extremely well made, funny or moving, but does that make it worthwhile?

I report. You decide.

You obviously don't understand the point at all. Noone is disputing the fact that trees grow out the ground.
McDonalds have denied that their food is bad for you. 2 obese girls claimed that they were obese, and suffering from bad health due to McDonalds. The accusations were thrown out of court, because the girls couldn't prove that all they had to eat was McDonalds for every meal, and therefore their bad health problems may not have been due to just McDonalds meals.

So this fella decides he's going to show how unhealthy McDonalds is (noone has actually done such a thing before, people know, but theres no proof) by going on a 90 mcdonalds meals in 30 days challenge. On camera.
All the while, interviewing people working at McDonalds, getting checked out by GPs who tell him to stop eating McDonalds otherwise he will die by liver failure shortly.

You can't interview trees, or eat them, therefore your comparison is a pile of arse. Also these documentary makers tend to be quite funny. Do you have that aspect about you?

Narg
29-09-2004, 01:12 AM
The entire idea for the movie is fucking stupid, ofcourse one is going to get sick if u get Mcdonalds that often, everyone knows that, and Cliff, its still those fat sluts fault for chowing down on the Mcdonalds every fucking day, Mcdonalds can say "its not un-healthy" but who the fuck in their right mind would actually beleive it, those 2 sluts did, their fault. I would only want to see the movie to actuall laugh at how sick the guy gets.. what a fucking moron.

The Black Rider
29-09-2004, 01:17 AM
You obviously don't understand the point at all. Noone is disputing the fact that trees grow out the ground.
McDonalds have denied that their food is bad for you. 2 obese girls claimed that they were obese, and suffering from bad health due to McDonalds. The accusations were thrown out of court, because the girls couldn't prove that all they had to eat was McDonalds for every meal, and therefore their bad health problems may not have been due to just McDonalds meals.

So this fella decides he's going to show how unhealthy McDonalds is (noone has actually done such a thing before, people know, but theres no proof) by going on a 90 mcdonalds meals in 30 days challenge. On camera.
All the while, interviewing people working at McDonalds, getting checked out by GPs who tell him to stop eating McDonalds otherwise he will die by liver failure shortly.

You can't interview trees, or eat them, therefore your comparison is a pile of arse. Also these documentary makers tend to be quite funny. Do you have that aspect about you?

Well, how could I miss the point if I haven't seen the movie? It's just my understanding of the project, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jacoby
29-09-2004, 01:48 AM
The entire idea for the movie is fucking stupid, ofcourse one is going to get sick if u get Mcdonalds that often, everyone knows that, and Cliff, its still those fat sluts fault for chowing down on the Mcdonalds every fucking day, Mcdonalds can say "its not un-healthy" but who the fuck in their right mind would actually beleive it, those 2 sluts did, their fault. I would only want to see the movie to actuall laugh at how sick the guy gets.. what a fucking moron.

If someone says they are healthy, but they aren't, that's hella-illegal. It's like you, Narg, saying to the women you had a fairly large penis. When in all actuality, you're hung like a field mouse. They would pay you for sex, God knows why, and then they would be pissed because of your micro-penis. False advertising. They would sue your ass.

Edit: But I still like you, Narg :)

CFC
29-09-2004, 02:22 AM
I was more worried about the dog food they use for meat and the people who spit in your food there.

Narg
29-09-2004, 04:53 AM
If someone says they are healthy, but they aren't, that's hella-illegal. It's like you, Narg, saying to the women you had a fairly large penis. When in all actuality, you're hung like a field mouse. They would pay you for sex, God knows why, and then they would be pissed because of your micro-penis. False advertising. They would sue your ass.

Edit: But I still like you, Narg :)

LMFAO

acliff
29-09-2004, 07:46 AM

No matter what people think they know, McDonalds were thoroughly irresponsible in their marketing. I like the fact that after the film was released,
McDonalds scrapped the super size option, and started bringing in 'the healthier choice' a collection of salads, some of which actually contain more calories and additives than the burgers themselves.

Everyone knows that McDonalds is unhealthy, but the fact that the guy starts getting withdrawl symptoms when he's not eating McDonalds, is kind of freaky. And in the eyes of the law, nothing can be done without conclusive proof, and his film goes about trying to change that. In addtion to McDonalds changing its policies, various school dinner suppliers have changed their tunes, and started dealing in completely shit food, and schools have started serving better food. Which is a good thing.

Goverments and food companies have a obligation to keep the population healthy, and to show that this is sometimes not the case, this guy has put himself as a fairly amusing experiment to see what would happen if he ate 3 mcdonalds meals a day.

Narg, don't waffle without knowing what you'e talking about. Yes it is a stupid idea, he does get ill for camera, he knows that its unhealthy, just alot of the public don't. As unpleasant for it is for me to even imagine such a thing, there are people less intelligent than yourself who need to be shocked into not eating crap, and thus perpetuating the fast food companies grip on the rising obesity market.

duckula
29-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Goverments and food companies have a obligation to keep the population healthy

I'm not sure that is entirely true.

hasselbrad
29-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Goverments and food companies have a obligation to keep the population healthy

I'm a little rusty on my Constitutional amendments...but I don't recall this one.

duckula
29-09-2004, 12:38 PM
It could be extremely tenuously tied to rights to vote, they cant vote at a polling booth if they are too fat to get off the sofa.

hasselbrad
29-09-2004, 12:42 PM
No...I think it would have more to do with them being unable to get into the booth. They move forward...booth scoots back.
Short...fat little arms...unable to reach ballot...oooh, is that a french fry?

duckula
29-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Democracy in action is beautiful (except when fat people are voting).

Narg
29-09-2004, 01:04 PM
and started bringing in 'the healthier choice' a collection of salads, some of which actually contain more calories and additives than the burgers themselves.

Not true, we had the healthy choice options along time before that movie was talked about.

As unpleasant for it is for me to even imagine such a thing, there are people less intelligent than yourself who need to be shocked into not eating crap, and thus perpetuating the fast food companies grip on the rising obesity market.

Nice one, considering you don’t even know me, but anyway... if their are people who need to be shocked into not eating crap, these people also require a cyanide pill, I realise common sense isn’t common, but what the fuck. Is society catering for the lowest common denominator, it clearly is, to you I might not be a "intellectual powerhouse", but im quite cluey on most things. It just shits me when people in places of authority compile to people with close to no brain.

"Goverments and food companies have a obligation to keep the population healthy"

Only to look good in the public eye, quite sad really, appealing to the sheep. Its not an obligation, they choose to do it, to get themselves more votes/customers.

acliff
29-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Let me rephrase:

Goverments and food companies *should* have an obligation to serve healthy food, and not in essense deceive or cover up the fact that their food is unhealthy.
Even if only for voting or publicity purposes, at least people are getting better food.

hasselbrad
29-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Let me rephrase:

Goverments and food companies *should* have an obligation to serve healthy food, and not in essense deceive or cover up the fact that their food is unhealthy.
Even if only for voting or publicity purposes, at least people are getting better food.

Uh...I disagree. If people are too stupid to realize that "food products" that leave a greasy "snail trail" on the wrapper they came in...let alone the fact that the aforementioned "food products" came wrapped in paper...are unhealthy, well then they deserve the fate dealt them by Mc Donalds.
I'm not saying I always choose the healthier option, Lord knows I love a good double cheeseburger, layered in bacon, but I understand that it's not as healthy as a salad. I am a fat fuck because I make bad choices. I am not a fat fuck because Mc Donalds has deceived me.

Dyce_Blue
29-09-2004, 05:41 PM
I completely agree with brad on this one. No one ever forces someone to eat McDonalds (unless there is torture involved). Yes, it is very convenient to run into a McD's and grab a little Big Mac. But what do we pay for the most in our lives?

Convenience.

Its just that in this case, we don't pay cash for the convenience of eating fast food. We pay with the linings of our arteries and the condition of our intestines.

A little exercise never hurt anyone...Its only recently that this "fat" epidemic has come around. In the "old days", many people did manual labor, which kept this problem to a minimum. Today's problem comes from sitting too much and watching TV or the KKW forum...

Go out and run around Jacoby...

CFC
30-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Good movie.

The thing that stood out the most was what the french lady said at the start of the movie. That was the smallest size at McDonalds in the US was as big as the largest size in Frace. Now McDonalds food is all crap, but portion size + lack of exercise has a lot to do with why Americans are so fat.

Jacoby
30-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Good movie.

The thing that stood out the most was what the french lady said at the start of the movie. That was the smallest size at McDonalds in the US was as big as the largest size in Frace.

So if you order a small fry in France, they give you a single fry? Eff it, I don't care if majority of my nation is fat..I love fries. I'd like to see this movie.

Object Of Affection
02-10-2004, 07:47 PM
This movie is brill! (haven't got it at our cinema yet but oh well i've seen :P)

Yep are large meals are about the size of your medium meals.

I like the part in the film where that bloke explains that its all right to tell someone in a resturant to stop smoking but when does it become all right to turn around and say "hey your to FAT stop eating" And the part where morgan visits a school and holds up thoses pictures of certain people and the kids all get the ronald macdonald picture but not a single one can identify the picture of jesus christ LMAO!

15 years time USA you shall have support from us brits in becoming fat bastards!

Sarah
02-10-2004, 08:55 PM
The film just seems stupid to me... Anyone who just eats McDonnalds all the time deserves to get fat and unhealthy.

Junk food can be a part of a healthy diet - if eaten rarely. If two stupid, fat, greedy girls tried to sue McDonnalds, then, well, they're just stupid. It was THEIR CHOICE to eat the frigging stuff all the time, so its THEIR fault they're unhealthy.

I mean, for goodness sake, its common sense.

Jacoby
02-10-2004, 09:07 PM
The film just seems stupid to me... Anyone who just eats McDonnalds all the time deserves to get fat and unhealthy.

Junk food can be a part of a healthy diet - if eaten rarely. If two stupid, fat, greedy girls tried to sue McDonnalds, then, well, they're just stupid. It was THEIR CHOICE to eat the frigging stuff all the time, so its THEIR fault they're unhealthy.

There was nicotine in the Big-Macs.

I had Mickey D's today, actually. Quarter-Pounder and some fries. So freaking good.

frodo1511
02-10-2004, 10:07 PM
I had Mickey D's today, actually. Quarter-Pounder and some fries. So freaking good.

How ironic, a thread about a movie in which the dude gets fat eating Mickey D's, and jake here happends to post that he ate lunch there. :icon_mod:

...I had Taco Bell, if it's any consolation.

CFC
02-10-2004, 10:33 PM
The Taco Bell meat is the equivalent of the meat in canned dog food.

frodo1511
02-10-2004, 10:47 PM
The Taco Bell meat is the equivalent of the meat in canned dog food.

Must be why it taste's so good.

Anyway, still haven't seen it, maby when it hit's HBO, I dunno

Dyce_Blue
02-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I went to McDonald's last night, and got my regular, Big Mac meal w/ Sprite.

I was very pleased to see that they have lowered the price of the value meal, it now costs $3.99 after tax.

Even though the sandwich itself tastes worse than the box it comes in, I still get it every single time...

Jasper
03-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Anyone who says Taco Bell is nasty should die.

CFC
03-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Taco Bell should die.

I was traumatized for life when I went there with a friend a few years back and there was a fake finger nail in the nachos.

deviljet88
03-10-2004, 03:01 AM
Mmm McDonalds... There should be more fast food companies, Maccas is trying to rip Aussies off. Eat fast food, it might not be good for you, but hey, its fast. Now to argue around...

Narg: What??? Did you ever hear of Salads Plus before the movie came out? I concede, I don't know if they did put it out before the movie, due to health organizations placing restrictions. However, it is obvious because of the movie, McDonalds has had to spew out ads onto the television and radio. Old Maccas ads would just have people dancing around eating french fries and Big Macs. Now, they've got old people eating salads and other items from the salad plus range. This sprigs another problem, so what if they do offer Salads Plus? Obesity is hitting children and adolescents. However, all ads point to old people eating it. And thus, you never see a kid eating a salad. Or eat a crispy lean chicken burger or whatever else they've got now, instead of the old McChicken burger. Cliff is fully right about the marketing issue in McDonalds. They aren't stupid enough to let one movie damage their image.

Anyway about the movie, good for that freak. Gets morons to wonder whether to eat McDonalds... then eat it anyway.

barrington
03-10-2004, 03:15 AM
I dont know who the hell you're trying to impress. Sad fact of the matter is that McDonalds food tastes really GOOD - that's why you get it - because it tastes good. It might be shit, but it's tasty shit.

CFC
03-10-2004, 03:29 AM
It is shit and tastes like shit here. Might be different in other countires.

acliff
03-10-2004, 09:44 AM
I don't think it tastes good at all.
Well thats untrue, it pleasures the tastebuds, but knowing that I'm chowing down heartstopping amounts of grease and preservatives and empty calories stops it from being enjoyable.
Besides 4 quid for a meal is too much for a quick meal, considering that with a McDonalds I end up being hungry within the hour anyway.

Which is why I haven't eaten in McDonalds, Burger King or the like (I may have gone to kfc or subway a couple of times) for over a year.

duckula
03-10-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't eat it because I think it tastes crap.

hasselbrad
03-10-2004, 03:24 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner.
"Common Sense". Our legal system has managed to squeeze every bit of it out of a majority of our citizens.
Fat kids suing McDonalds. Stupid old women suing McDonalds because she spilled coffee on herself. The legal system in this country has become pretty much on par with the fucking lottery here.
In England, don't y'all have a loser pays stipulation? That is, if I cut off my finger with a circular saw and decide that I want to sue the company that made it, if I lose the lawsuit, I have to pay all of the company's legal fees.
That's my understanding, at least.
Different ballgame, here. If you can find a lawyer who's willing to take the case...which is roughly the equivalent of finding a guy who's willing to have sex with one of the Hawaiian Tropic girls at Spring Break...it's simply a roll of the dice.
What's really sad, is that for a lot of Americans, the idea of eating McDonalds for every meal isn't that far from reality. I'm not talking about college students here, I'm talking about families whose diet is roughly equivalent to what this guy did in the movie. It may not be McDonalds every night, but it's some other equally unhealthy shit.
I write this, washing down ten munchkins from Dunkin Donuts with 24oz. of their delicious coffee. Who do I sue? :p

duckula
03-10-2004, 03:46 PM
The reason that the lady who sued about the coffee won was because McDonals kept their coffee exceptionally hot to extend its longevity. It was the unusually high temperature that was the liability.

frodo1511
03-10-2004, 03:48 PM
The reason that the lady who sued about the coffee won was because McDonals kept their coffee exceptionally hot to extend its longevity. It was the unusually high temperature that was the liability.

That's why I order COLD drinks at McD's. I can't stand hot beverages, and if I do spill, I won't sue them, unless it stains.

hasselbrad
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I am a temperature pussy, and I drink an assload of McDonalds coffee driving back and forth between Tampa and Atlanta. I've never noticed it being any hotter than Dunkin Donuts, Cracker Barrel, Borders, Starbucks or any of the nasty shithole gas stations I buy coffee from to stay awake.
I just think she took advantage of our ridiculous legal system. :p

duckula
03-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Bit of both maybe.

Sarah
03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I spilt a drink of coke on me at McDonnalds .. and I sued for frost bite.

barrington
03-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Well... I like McDonalds food. Deal with it.

Sarah
03-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Well so do I. I love the McNuggets... and I don't care whats inside them, they're NICE.

duckula
03-10-2004, 08:09 PM

I'm not sure I can. You are off the christmas card list.