PDA

View Full Version : Mass Media

Richard
25-09-2004, 03:48 PM
There was a discussion going on in my Gov't class on Friday about how mass media affects our everyday lives. One topic brought up was the upcoming presidential election, and how it may affect our way of voting. Anyways, it almost took the entire period and it was a very intriguing discussion. Since I've become fond with a bunch of you over the years, I'd like to hear what you may think. I didn't feel I should have posted this in the already-made election thread, I thought this may deserve a thread all on it's own.

How do you think mass media affects the upcoming presidential election, and our way of voting? Or anything for that matter?

The Black Rider
25-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Bias.

As we all know, it is impossible to not have a bias about anything. The problem is that both conservative and liberal biases are running wild. The liberal bias of the three major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) is undeniable, so much so that we have Fox News just to balance it out. Fox News' regular anchormen do a decent job, but the time slots are mostly made up of various columnists.

There is no truth anymore. Just opinions. Of all kinds.

hasselbrad
25-09-2004, 04:35 PM
The liberal bias in the media is undeniable. I think the media, more than anything else, was responsible for the brouhaha during the 2000 election. They called Florida for Gore waaay too early. There were only a few percentage points between them, and the more conservative panhandle's polls were still open.
I'm not sure if it was a deliberate attempt to make voters in states out west stay away from the polls, or if it was, as in the case of the Rathergate memo, the chance to scoop the world...and do harm to Bush, but I believe that caused a lot of people to question the results. The media told us Gore won, so he must have won. This is why the myth of the Republican "theft" of the election is so popular with liberal crybabies, to this day. :p
Personally, I think Dan Rather is a piece of shit, because of a comment he made during that election:
"George Bush is sweeping through the South like a tornado through a trailer park."
If you ever see a news story about Dan Rather getting all of his teeth knocked out...be sure to look for my smiling mugshot. :D

Dyce_Blue
25-09-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm a journalism major, but unfortunately I'm not much help now. There is one sparkling example I can give though...

I watch BET pretty often, for rap countdowns and what not. Well, this year, the whole "Get out and vote" thing is happening, and they are making a really big deal about getting out to vote. I've begun to notice in the past few days that what they mean by get out and vote is "get out and vote democratic". Never have I seen an entire channel, a nationwide media enterprise so abnormally distort the voting process.

Their argument is "if you get out and vote, we can finally get Bush out of office." Those are exact words taken from the mouth of 106 and Park's host, Free. She reiterated the fact that if everyone would get out and vote, all of America's problems would be over. Haha.

That is awful.

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Propaganda. One side will post an ad, saying "x person is not paying taxes/voting off topic, etc." and tries to convince the people to vote for the "good" guy. Right now, it's so out of hand, blaming somebody for the SMALLEST THINGS. After a while, it gets so bad that you'd rather read a book than watch the tube.

deviljet88
26-09-2004, 01:11 AM
In Australia, a TV station known as Channel Nine is owned by Kerry Packer who is well known to be assossiates with John Howard (the current Prime Minister). The bias is pretty known. When one audience member wrote in about how he thought a recent political report was biased to the Opposition Party, the reporter replied, "Surely not on here." I think it effects the vote a lot, at least in Australia anyway. Electoral ads are coming from left right and centre at the moment.

Nick
26-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I noticed everyone keeps bringing up the fact that the ads for all the political propaganda are biased and it seems everyone is taking it out on the Democrats as if they're the only ones being biased. Did it ever occur to anyone that the fact that you keep bashing the Democrats and not the Republicans makes you just as biased as those "liberal" politicians you're talking about. I mean lets face it people, yes the Democrats may have some biased points of view, but the Republicans are just as bad to be perfectly honest. So really if you stop and think about it, all political parties have their owns biased points of view. That's why there are political parties, basically if you're part of a political party it's because you share some of their biased points of view. If there were no bias than we wouldn't need political parties so everyone drop out of whatever political party you're a part of and register as independent :D .
Yes I know most of you aren't going to like what I just said, especially if you're part of a political party, but the truth is hard to hear sometimes people so deal with it.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Perhaps, but I'm just so sick and tired about people lying/dening about what he/she did 40 years ago, which will make no point in this years election. John Kerry lied about his medals in Vietnam, so what? Are medals gonna get you into the white house? no. George Bush failing to take a flight physical 30 years ago, whoop de fucking do, I'm sure that's MAJOR brownie points for him.
All i'm saying is, if you remember back to the Bush/Gore election, or even the Clinton/Dole election, you can clearly see the difference in attack ads. It's just stupid blaming somebody for doing something that nobody cares about.

The Black Rider
26-09-2004, 03:57 PM
I noticed everyone keeps bringing up the fact that the ads for all the political propaganda are biased and it seems everyone is taking it out on the Democrats as if they're the only ones being biased. Did it ever occur to anyone that the fact that you keep bashing the Democrats and not the Republicans makes you just as biased as those "liberal" politicians you're talking about. I mean lets face it people, yes the Democrats may have some biased points of view, but the Republicans are just as bad to be perfectly honest. So really if you stop and think about it, all political parties have their owns biased points of view. That's why there are political parties, basically if you're part of a political party it's because you share some of their biased points of view. If there were no bias than we wouldn't need political parties so everyone drop out of whatever political party you're a part of and register as independent :D .
Yes I know most of you aren't going to like what I just said, especially if you're part of a political party, but the truth is hard to hear sometimes people so deal with it.

Yeah, there's a conservative bias. Everyone knows that. I've heard it a million times. But more people watch stations like CBS, NBC, and ABC in this country than they watch Fox News. So it's kind of a wasted argument.

As I said earlier, the only reason Fox News exists is because conservatives were having trouble getting their voices out (unless your name was Rush Limbaugh). So when they say "fair and balanced" news, think of it as this: now it is much easier to get both sides of the coin than it was before Fox News. Not to mention that, of all the prime time shows they have, only two of them are bona fide conservatives: Sean Hannity and Brit Hume. Bill O'Reilly is an independent (I watch his show regularly so don't give me that "conservative" BS), Alan Colmes and Greta van Susteren are liberals, and Shepherd Smith isn't really anything. Not only that, they've been airing political ads for both George Bush and John Kerry. Republican network? I don't think so.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Elijahfan
26-09-2004, 06:16 PM
i watch so much tv so i see the ads all the time...very topic. i mean to decide, cause how could anyone just decide on an add or be bias from it. because the ads are biased, given from one side about the other. better to look the "facts" from the commercials up and find out for yourself. i care about the election but sucks that i cant vote...

btw my classmate has a sticker that says "flush the johns" and a picture with the democrats and a toliet, but i say my friends profile is better, "practice abstinence- no bush, no dick" cracks me up everytime