PDA

View Full Version : Wish us luck

NearokA
25-09-2004, 08:03 AM
This sunday, there is a tourney going down. Warcraft 3 international masters tourney. My friend and I are joining in. It's a 2v2 team thing. First place is $200. It's not much for the work needed to beat 256 teams, but it's come a long way from what pro-gaming used to be back in the days.

Anyways, there is another international tourney held by non other than Blizzard Entertainment themselves. At the end of the ladder season, the top teams and solo players will compete in gateway tourneys (US east, US west, Europe, Asia). Grand prize is $600 for 2v2 and $1000 for solo, an autographed copy of World of Warcraft (WoW), and a Grom Hellscream statue.

Some people spend their time idolizing movie stars and pop stars, me, I spend time idolizing computer programmers, automobile engineers, and nobel prize winners. I think it would be great to get an autographed copy of WoW from the legendary programmers at Blizzard Entertainment.

You know, in 4 years I'll enter the professional realm and I'll not have time for gaming and such. I want to do what I can for Esport gaming. I think in 10 more years, it will start gaining more ground (it already has in Europe and Asia, of which pro-gamers make a $100,000+ a year salary just for training for tourneys and such and they get free computer hardware, which is always cool, and it has started a lil bit in America, of which amd and intel sponsor a few USA teams).

duckula
25-09-2004, 09:00 AM
How thrilling. I like danish pastries and long walks on the beach.

Narg
25-09-2004, 11:49 AM
2morro im playing in a regional cs comp.. if we win, we get a paid autobirth into the sydney semi-finals, if we win that, we get a paid flight to melbourne, and 4 days accomidation, 20,000 dollar australian prize pool, incl a chance to win a VW Golf.

I doubt u will reach pro-gamer status, if u were, u would be there already, you either got it, or u dont. I dont, im good, but i dont have 'it'.

deviljet88
25-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I suck at warcraft lol. Lost to a group of friends in a hero match, was level 17 when they were 30 :( plus I can't even beat the computer on custom games :( Good luck to both you freaks :P

CFC
25-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I suck at RTS also. I stick to FPS mostly.

Narg is right you have to have "it" This guy at my school does he is nationally ranked in HALO, i don't remember where, but it is really hig. He also plays atleast two hours a night. I can't do that. I am fine with being ok at video games.

Liam
25-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Personally I thought Warcraft 3 sucked. Diablo II and the expansion is the last good game Blizzard made. StarCraft is a classic though.

I've won local Quake 3 competitions even though I dont particularly like the game that much. Must have been all the time I spent railgunning in Quake 2. Was amusing to be awarded an nvidia spray jacket by some nvidia rep who asked me which type of card I used to win the comp. I replied 'Radeon, mate.'
I also won a few rounds on the IL2:FB lan at the Australian flight sim expo, but won nought but a t-shirt.

Pro gaming isnt a life. Games are entertainment, not a way of life.

(Although myself and acliff's history with diablo II could contradict that)

Jacoby
25-09-2004, 02:22 PM
256 teams and first place prize is 200 dollars? That's shit.

Liam
25-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Its not about the money, its about the respect from fellow gaming nerds. :p

NearokA
25-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Anyone will tell you,

RTS >> FPS in terms of skill. FPS is for all those who can't cut it. And you know what? RPG is for the rest. lol.

Warcraft not that popular for reasons I'll not go into here. However, Broodwars, one can not only make $30,000 per tourney, and 6 digit salary, and wear cool sponsor outfits; One is actually treated like a star. Especially in korea. In korea, they even have classes in college you can take to perfect your Broodwars. Yes, it's that serious.

I would play alot in the asian realm if I didn't lag so much. :(
Anyway, my friend and I are already ranked in the top 20 2v2 ladder in the US West gateway ladder. We've been as high as the top 5, but lost it due to inactivity. I myself have only been ranked in the top 100 solo ladder.

Liam
25-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Not necessarily.

RTS isnt totally a matter of gaming skill, its a matter of being able to think ahead. Anticipating what your opponent will do is the name of the game. If you have the skill to out-think your opponent, you will win. You don't necessarily win from gaming skill.
FPS is all reflexes. If you cant react quickly and accurately, you may as well not play at all.

You know why I like flight sims like IL-2 so much? They are grounded in reality. I am facinated by aviation history and combat tactics and I spend a lot of time reading on the topic - and being able to use this knowledge and apply it in game is rewarding. On top of this, it combines the best of both worlds. You need to be able to think ahead, you need to have very fast reflexes and you need to understand the capabilities of the aircraft involved.

Foeni
25-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Personally I think Warcraft is the best game ever. Not that FPS games aren't funny, a lot of them are. But the worst of them is CS. It's always the same, and to me it doesn't look like skill, but only reflexes. You don't really control your hand in the second you shoot your opponent. Your eye just sees the opponent, sends some kind of signal to your brain which then causes your hand to aim at the opponent and shoot.. Often, when I see CS players game, they don't really look like thinking. It's all automatically. The only way they have to think, is if they are pro-gamers in some big serious clan, where they actually work out strategies. Otherwise the only thinking is to decide in which direction to move (an exeption to all this, is sniping..). Warcraft has of course, as you also say, something to with out-thinking the opponent. The thing is, it's not enough. I've seen so many players being masters at that, and still lose due to lack of micro skills. Good micro skills can really change the game. Still the game hasn't been as popular, meaning not so many are playing it compared to CS. But it's coming. Just the fact that competitions become bigger and bigger and happen more and more often. Especially in Korea the game is on the march. They got TV channels just to show the big Clan Wars. To me it seems absurd, but it shows how much they are in to it. And people move to Korea to play. An example is the Swedish MadFrog. He has moved to Korea to play...
But.. The competitions are also coming to Europe. Not that long ago, the two big clans in Europe 4K and aT met to play...
And all that's very good, but too many people are trapped in this gaming universe, without having "it". That means that they are never going to be really big, they won't be able to have it as a living! But they still get addicted to the game, and therefor get no education.. That's the sad thing about these games, FPS as well as RTS!

So, enjoy the game, but stop while you still can!

Spire
25-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Ah, professional gaming. First off, $200 grand prize is total shit, but I get the feeling you really aren't going for the money. Secondly, there are only two types of pro gamers. The ones with natural born talent, and the ones who practice. I'm not talking about a little practice every other day, or something, I'm talking about spending at least 10 hours a day, every day playing the game. I, quite frankly, don't have that sort of time, but I'm hopefully headed for a different type of professional gaming, so I don't worry too much about it. Anyway, best of luck.

johnnyboy
25-09-2004, 04:44 PM
200 dollars...oooh, the big-leagues :icon_err:

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 05:01 PM
good luck to all that are participating in some sort of league tourney. I've got a videogame marathon in a couple weeks, playing Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Halo, Madden '05, and Burnout 3. It's a team event, and ours is preety well-rounded(one football nerd, one crash-master, one uber-sniper, and 4 team-racers)

Whoever said RTS>FPS is semi-correct. You need brains for strategy games, managing your troops, resources, finding out where the other team is, etc.
But FPS-fans need quick reflexes. If your autistic, you WILL SUCK playing Counter-Strike. I guess it's just whatever genre you prefer(FPS for me, but a nice game of Starcraft is still cool)

Narg
26-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Counter-Strike dosnt suck. If it did, it wouldnt be the worlds most popular shooter, with the most tournaments and the most prize money up for grabs, people make a living from being in the top cs clans, going from tourney to tourney winning, they get paid by sponsors, flown around the world, earn upwards of a 6 digit salary (aussie), it can be done, but most of us arent that good. I play it for fun, but of late ive been playing it more serious and competeing on a regional - state level.

RTS and FPS are just different games, they both require different skills, although RTS dosnt require hardley any reflexes compared to cs, you still need them. Just like you need to be able to outthink ure oponent in cs, its not AS important as in RTS games, but if u dont have a brain in ure head, and are unable to predict ure oponents next move, there is no way in hell ure going to be able to pull that 1v1 clutch. Not to mention team stratagies, out team alone has about 20 different strats for each map, positions were to play from, boost too, nade over etc, we study and practice these strats just as much as u wc3 guys would practice ures, except in counter-strike, there has to be alot of improvisation, because we arent human controlled computer bots, were all moving and reacting individually, it requires EXTREME amounts of teamwork, to co-ordinate a 5 man team to victory, sometimes we even have one person just stand behind us at a lan and call the strats and co-ordinate us, its asif he was the "rts" person of the match, co-ordinating our moves and tactics just like u would in wc3.

Watch a proper game of CS, heck, play in a proper game of cs before u bag it out, i would never bag out a warcraft 3 freak, ive seen them play, its insane, perhaps u guys should try the same for cs.

www.clanpulse.tk is my clan, were not good really, in the scheme of things, but we have some nice LAN results, and thats all that matters, we have fun and have made a fair few friends from LAN gaming, im enjoying it.

I just prefer cs to games like wc3 and generals because its faster, i like quick games, thats why i also like quake etc.

seventhson
26-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Dear NaerokA, The best of luck to you & your friend!
and don't forget to have some fun too.

Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)

Jacoby
26-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Good luck NearolablahblahK. Hey, maybe if you win you can spend that 100 dollars on that Gucci shirt you've always wanted. hehe.

Just kidding, good luck.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 04:51 AM
I just prefer cs to games like wc3 and generals because its faster, i like quick games, thats why i also like quake etc.

Damn, that's the same for me, narg. I love to play RTS, but I can't STAND to watch someone else play them. FPS, on the other hand, are fun either way.

deviljet88
26-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Watching other people losing on Warcraft 3 because their hero is surrounded by enemies is amusing. Watching FPS on the other hand is crap, since most people I watch just run around for about... 5 minutes, then turn a corner, a few seconds later, they're dead. Boring.

keira loves lipgloss
26-09-2004, 10:48 AM
good luck

Narg
26-09-2004, 02:10 PM
we lost. The tournament organisers were quite sick of us winning newcastle - counter-strike for the last 3 or so years. It showed.

Wrap up of what happened: (only read if u know about cs)

As for the tournament it was pathetic. Certain rules werent inforced for certain teams, freezetime was wrong, no hltvs incase of bugs being used, one game the tournament organiser decided to make mr6 and the final which was between rdmsus and 4n20 was on nuke which they played each other on the round before. Thanks to the slut team kiss - wok steveirwin calais autopsy diehard for traveling up from sydney to knock us out then leave, atleast u helped make up the numbers and pay for 4n20's train ride up the street(autoberth). Glad to see atleast one full newcastle team going even if the berth was given to them by the slut team who served their purpose and left.

in short - team from sydney came to our regional qualifier just to knock us out for a personal favour and personal reasons, then forfieting strait after we are out, hence knocking 2 of the best teams out, hence letting the only good team left win, and the team who came 2nd, not even playing us, and getting owned in the finals, but still making it past regional.

deviljet88
26-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Good luck if you plan to move to some yobbo town to kill those inferiors.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 02:54 PM
nice try narg, we feel for ya. What place did you come in?
Yup, our tourny is in a couple weeks, followed by a midnight 32 player LAN of Halo 2 on it's midnight release, just to see how different the gameplay is from the original.

Jacoby
26-09-2004, 02:58 PM
followed by a midnight 32 player LAN of Halo 2 on it's midnight release, just to see how different the gameplay is from the original.

Don't you love the extreme feeling of hunger and thirst during those things? I usually go 15-16 hours without food, but it's still great. Then I eat an entire box of pizza. But still, hopefully I can attend one of those bad-boys.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Don't you love the extreme feeling of hunger and thirst during those things? I usually go 15-16 hours without food, but it's still great. Then I eat an entire box of pizza. But still, hopefully I can attend one of those bad-boys.

Yeah, it's fun, since your running on pure adrenaline, so food can wait(unless it's a racing game your playing, I can't sit through a long one of those) I think we'll order pizza while we're playing, and drink Bawls, if you know what that is(I'm sure Narg does)

Anyway, watching FPS is way more exciting than RTS

Spire
26-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Oh, I get hungry and thirsty all the time during Halo. Smash Brothers is another matter. Our Halo tournies (haven't had one in awhile, everybody's sick of them) usually feature massive amounts of pizza and Mountain Dew. During Smash Brothers tournies, we rarely have time for food or drink, since everything is at such a frenzied level.

Jacoby
26-09-2004, 05:08 PM
and drink Bawls, if you know what that is(I'm sure Narg does)

WTF. Is Bawls like the videogame drink. I doesn't taste that bad, though. I like Bawls.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Bawls is quite refreshing, It's just as good of a substitute as Mountain Dew/Coke.

spire: SSBM tourneys are really fun, and fast. I had one a couple months ago, lasted 6 hours, and was a blast. Unfortunatley, noone had the brains to bring a 20+in. screen to play on. Whenever you have 4 people on opposite ends of the screen, it's hard to see where your character is.

Narg
27-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Biggest lan i went too was ivLAN, it went for 3 days with somthing like 400+ people, i didnt sleep for 3 days, i only ate pizza and junk food, and drank Jolt! cola, it tastes like coke but has extreme amounts of caffene in it :D. My body felt like shit, i passed out on the back varanda at home of dehidration, it was a very stupid thing to do, one of my mates slept for about 15mins, woke up, and started walking around half asleep delerious, speaking to people he didnt know, asking them for their video cards so he could "dig a tunnel to the hex", he was fucked.

3 days with no sleep or decent food, i will never do it again, from now on i just sleep.. But this was my first big LAN, and i was so geared up for it.

( i think Liams been to this LAN :P )

Liam
27-09-2004, 06:01 PM
I have indeed.

I arrived, I saw they didnt play any good games, and I left.
After I leeched about 20GB. Hreh.

frodo1511
27-09-2004, 06:18 PM
liam, you leacher :icon_surp I'm not inviting you to one of my LAN party's!

Any of you guys ever heard of Defcon here in the states? It's a convention of hackers who get together, show off there mods, and basically try to hack into anyone's unsuspecting computer. If I can find the pic, I'll show you all a Bluetooth Sniper Rifle someone made at the convention- it stole someone's wi-fi connection from a mile away.