PDA

View Full Version : The Hole

Pages : [1] 2

Foeni
23-09-2004, 07:45 PM
The Hole, I think, one of Keira lesser known movies (at least it is in Denmark where I come from...). Now I'd like to know how it is in other countries. And what do you guys think of it? I think it's rather good. Not her best movie (that has go to be "Pirates of the Carribbean"), but I think she doing good.

AureaMediocritas
23-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Very interesting movie for -> Teens <- . Wouldn't have watched it if Miss
Knightley hadn't been in it though.

GuinevereLover
23-09-2004, 07:54 PM
The Hole is quite well known here in the UK, Princess of Thieves is one I didn't realise she was in until I saw a trailer for it whilst on holiday in Arkansas this summer When someone is in a big successful movie like Keira being in Pirates, poeple tend to forget or overlook their smaller projects. One other example of this is that most people in my college knew that Natalie Portman did Star Wars but few realised she was in Beautiful Girls or Anywhere But Here.

hasselbrad
23-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Haven't seen The Hole. Have you seen Pure?
Keira is very good in that film.

Foeni
23-09-2004, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't have seen The Hole if it wasn't for Keira.. Actually I was searching for pictures of Keira in KaZaA (damn, it took a lot of time to make sure the were not fakes..) and I got this series of her showing her breasts. At that time I had never heard of The Hole, and therefor decided to see it.. Never regretted :)
About Princess of Thieves, I think it's allright, but no great movie at all.. Again, it's Keira making it worth seeing. It was actually by a happy coincidence I turned on my TV at the time they were showing it :D. But you're right, GuinevereLover, people seem to forget the smaller projects. In the beginning I didn't know it was Keira in Star Wars.. I just watched the movie thinking: "Wow, she's hot!". I haven't seen Anywhere But Here or Pure, but now you guys have made me aware of them, I'll go buy them!

Foeni
23-09-2004, 08:21 PM
To be honest, I haven't seen that many movies with Keira :icon_redf but they're quite difficult to find here in Denmark. But now I feel it has to end, I'm now gonna buy them from Amazon.com and have them shipped from UK to Denmark. And to those who don't know all of her movies, here they are:

Filmography:

King Arthur (2004)
Love Actually (2003)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
Pure (2002)
Thunderpants (2002)
Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
Deflation (2001)
The Hole (2001)
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Innocent Lies (1995)
A Village Affair (1994)

I hope I got them all, if not, plz add to the list :) The underlined ones are the one's I've seen...

peach
24-09-2004, 07:19 AM
I haven't seen alot of her movies all I have seen is Love Actually, POTC, BILB, The Hole and Dr CHivago
Not sure about the spelling.

Foeni
24-09-2004, 07:49 AM
You should see King Arthur, though she doesn't have the biggest role :(

Narg
24-09-2004, 02:26 PM
King Arthur (2004)
Love Actually (2003)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
Pure (2002)
Thunderpants (2002)
Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
Deflation (2001)
The Hole (2001)
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Innocent Lies (1995)
A Village Affair (1994)

the underline ones are her movies i own, and have seen, of them pirates and king arthur are the best the hole, then bend it, and then love actually.

The hole was a great movie tho, keira was fantastic in it, really enjoyed it.

Foeni
24-09-2004, 02:37 PM
You know what the cheapest website to buy those movies is?

peach
24-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I once bought amovie from amazon uk but I can't remember that it was cheap.

Foeni
24-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Hmm.. I checked out their website and they only have 4-5 titles :(
But I'll take a closer look...

hasselbrad
24-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't buy my stuff online.
I have gotten the DVDs that I have from Borders, Barnes & Noble (book stores in the states), Circuit City and Best Buy.
I also get stuff from a place that specializes in used CDs and DVDs.
You might try e-bay if you don't mind it being used.
The above places have websites that'll come up if you do a Google search.
I know Barnes & Noble is www.BN.com .

Richard
25-09-2004, 04:04 PM

I disagree. Though Keira was a great addition to the film, I'm glad I found it. The story itself was pretty amazing. Rather than just some random person killing without reason, they pretty much kill each other or kill themselves. It probably would have taken me awhile to see this film if Keira wasn't in it, so chalk it all up to luck. Great score too.

Foeni
25-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I agree to that Richard. The only difference is that I would probably have never heard of The Hole if it wasn't because of this series which found as I searched for pictures of Keira. So of course I got interested in seeing the movie... :P

Richard
25-09-2004, 05:02 PM
I don't think we're mature enough to handle that kind of material. :icon_conf

Foeni
25-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Hmm.. Maybe not... It was just to explain why I got the movie in the first place.. It was before i became a huge fan of Keira

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't think we're mature enough to handle that kind of material. :icon_conf

Nope, PG-13 or less is this web-site's standard :icon_popc

To keep on-topic, I haven't seen the Hole, I want to, but it's hard to find in this part of the country. My ninja spies have told me that the DVD is being re-released in the states sometime in October, correct me if I'm wrong. Maby then it will be easier to find.

Foeni
25-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Hmm.. I might be rather stupid right now, but what does PG-13 mean?

Mags
25-09-2004, 09:34 PM
PG-13 means parental guidance is suggested for children under the age of 13...basically, it's a suggestion that parents see it before they allow their children to.

Foeni
25-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Ahh... Ok, but do you really think that pictures is affected by that?

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 09:36 PM
That's my fault, I forgot the movie ratings are different overseas. I'm terribly sorry. I believe PG-13=a 12A rating, right?

Foeni
25-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't know what a 12A is either :( *feeling stupid*
But in Denmark we have "Forbidden for people below the age of 15" and "Not recommended for children below the age of 7"

Jacoby
25-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Don't worry, Foeni. You're not dumb, it's Frodo...he's Satan.

Oops; to stay on topic: Keira has boobz?!?!!1 Holy Crap-shait, I've never seen her breasts before that pic...hmm..yay. I'm not a minority anymore. :)

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Don't worry, Foeni. You're not dumb, it's Frodo...he's Satan.

Damn, my Halloween suprise-costume has been unmasked! You sneaky devil you, jacoby :icon_redf

Also to stay on-topic, that's the first time I've seen that pic before. I knew about that scene in the movie, but never saw a picture of it. Quite, uh, unexpected, if I may say.

LoveKeria
21-10-2004, 07:20 AM

--Teen-- MOvie? I dont think so. Maybe in parts but not really, concidering it was kinda Indie...concidering it didn't even make the cinemas here at all....only the indie cinimas...I looooovvvvveeeee the Hole...its my favorite Keria film

KnightleyNews
21-10-2004, 12:11 PM
It's just this week been re-released in North America (Region 1) DVD. Guess who's on the cover? Not fair, really, as it was Thora's movie.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000ARD7T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Paul

Sarah
21-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Having Frankie's face dominate the cover it... well it gives the wrong impression. But, I guess they want it to sell well.

AureaMediocritas
21-10-2004, 06:07 PM
A clever yet harsh strategy :) . (Not that I care)

Jacoby
21-10-2004, 08:14 PM
"Keira Knightley...Gets More Than a Few Pulses Racing."

That made me laugh. I wonder what they actually said about her.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 09:33 PM

They probably referred to the topless scene that wasn't, as I like to call it. I mean sheesh...it lasted how long exactly?

bob
21-10-2004, 10:31 PM
about 3 seconds, perhaps?

that's such a blatant marketing tactic... it's almost embarassing to even consider let alone see. with that said, i dislike thora birch's fugly mug so i guess it's a smart move.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 10:50 PM
about 3 seconds, perhaps?

that's such a blatant marketing tactic... it's almost embarassing to even consider let alone see. with that said, i dislike thora birch's fugly mug so i guess it's a smart move.

Arrr...this one makes much sense. Why can't all women be like this?! <ducks>

frodo1511
21-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Her face on the box cover is kinda scary, what with the black background, and heavy light from above on her face...
...I like it:)

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Her face on the box cover is kinda scary, what with the black background, and heavy light from above on her face...
...I like it:)

You're a strange little man. It is scary though...but err...I LOATHE it. The original cover was better.

bob
22-10-2004, 12:41 AM
what's funny is that she's the first to die. aha... she's not even in the last third of it. hilarious, in fact.

way to go, keira. she's made an obvious impression on the american public. poor thora birch, even mena suvari got more recognition from american beauty.

Hazzle
22-10-2004, 12:43 AM
what's funny is that she's the first to die. aha... she's not even in the last third of it. hilarious, in fact.

way to go, keira. she's made an obvious impression on the american public. poor thora birch, even mena suvari got more recognition from american beauty.

Oooh...burn. See I love Bob. If you were in London you'd be getting a restraining order right about...now.

bob
22-10-2004, 01:35 AM
awfully touchy those londoners, eh? oh, sorry.

as for thora birch, i apologise for saying she had a fugly mug earlier. it was very shallow of me. the real reason i hate her is for her character's negligent behaviour in the film. allowing poor keira to die of her eating disorder. i consider that to be a much more profound reason for dislike.

plus that american guy was so not worth the effort.

Jacoby
22-10-2004, 02:13 AM
awfully touchy those londoners, eh? oh, sorry.

as for thora birch, i apologise for saying she had a fugly mug earlier. it was very shallow of me. the real reason i hate her is for her character's negligent behaviour in the film. allowing poor keira to die of her eating disorder. i consider that to be a much more profound reason for dislike.

plus that american guy was so not worth the effort.

Thanks for ruining the movie, Bob.

Ipomoea
22-10-2004, 02:38 AM

I dug up the actual review (yes, this makes me a total dork, I know...) from ciao.co.uk, and this is what was actually said:

The other three teenagers are Frankie (Keira Knightley), the school sex goddess, who gets more than a few pulses racing; Geoff (Laurence Fox) school rugby player and all round lad; and Mike (Desmond Harrington) son of an American rock star, and the object of Liz’s desire.The review in its entirety is here (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Hole_The__Review_5153882) if anyone cares.

Jacoby
22-10-2004, 03:09 AM
I dug up the actual review (yes, this makes me a total dork, I know...) from ciao.co.uk, and this is what was actually said:

The review in its entirety is here (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Hole_The__Review_5153882) if anyone cares.

Ahhh. Thanks, Ipomoea.
I thought it would have been something more like, "Keira Knightley shouldn't have accepted the role. I was so angry at the cinema I fought an usher. Fighting an usher always gets a few pulses racing." You know, something completely fabricated. But, as you've shown us, it's legit! Horrah.

I heard this movie was bad...Perhaps I shall see it.

bob
22-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks for ruining the movie, Bob.
what, you're a keira fan who hasn't seen it? no you're right, i apologise. if it makes you feel any better, the graphic imagery will make up for the lack of suspense.

DragonRat
22-10-2004, 06:38 AM
It was excellent for that split second. The beauty of the Pause button.

But the movie was, in my opinion, a bit too contrived. Hell, once the story kept going after the first alibi, then I knew Thora Birch did it all. And the way she was amoral about it, it reminds me of every other existentially amoral psychopath on film.

LoveKeria
22-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Ahhh. Thanks, Ipomoea.
I thought it would have been something more like, "Keira Knightley shouldn't have accepted the role. I was so angry at the cinema I fought an usher. Fighting an usher always gets a few pulses racing." You know, something completely fabricated. But, as you've shown us, it's legit! Horrah.

I heard this movie was bad...Perhaps I shall see it.

It wasn't a bad movie...it was quite good. I liked it.

Hazzle
22-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm going to have to disagree (what a surprise). Not only was it a pretty shit film (had potential, started well but the plot just became too contrived, as DR said, and you knew what'd happened before being shown it...so as Bob pointed out, severe lack of suspense) but even the sight of Miss Knightley's breasts for a split second wasn't enough to save it.

I'm going to be incredibly gay and say her performance was actually not too bad...then again...the other performances were so shoddy hers would seem oscar-worthy by comparison. Thora Birch especially was abysmal.

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah ok, I agree with you on the Thora Birch performance. However, not conceeding to the fact that it was actually an English film [half the reason i liked it - i quite like most english films] it was still a very good film. I really liked the story line, and i don't think it got complicated at all, more like it was just twisted and turned so we didn't know what was going to happen. I hate knowing what happens in films.

By the way i think its horrid to say that Keiras breasts didn't save the film. Poor girl.

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Yeah ok, I agree with you on the Thora Birch performance. However, not conceeding to the fact that it was actually an English film [half the reason i liked it - i quite like most english films] it was still a very good film. I really liked the story line, and i don't think it got complicated at all, more like it was just twisted and turned so we didn't know what was going to happen. I hate knowing what happens in films.

I didn't say complicated. Said contrived...it was actually TOO simple, and TOO obvious what was going to happen...and I TOO hate knowing what happens...which is why I didn't like The Hole so much. It was transparent as glass.

By the way i think its horrid to say that Keiras breasts didn't save the film. Poor girl.

Better to say they DID? I would LIKE to think an actress would be offended to hear her breasts saved a film from being shit.

bob
23-10-2004, 01:59 AM
well to make up for possibly offending her, they put her face on the cover. woopa!

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 02:03 AM
I think its still mean. But if you wanna say it.

Haha, actually the Hole cover in Australia had Thora in front.

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 02:05 AM
well to make up for possibly offending her, they put her face on the cover. woopa!

You make a valid point.

I think its still mean. But if you wanna say it.

I do, and you're an idiot. Proven by the next comment...

Haha, actually the Hole cover in Australia had Thora in front.

Errr...so did the cover everywhere else. This is a RE-RELEASE for the US with Keira on the cover. Kindly read up and comprehend old posts before replying, eh? Thanks...

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 02:10 AM
You make a valid point.

I do, and you're an idiot. Proven by the next comment...

Errr...so did the cover everywhere else. This is a RE-RELEASE for the US with Keira on the cover. Kindly read up and comprehend old posts before replying, eh? Thanks...

You can't say I'm an idiot in one post coz of another....:P Rude person. Anyway, well, we have no re-release...so there. Only cover i have ever seen for it. Plus...re-release cover or not. Its still a point that Thora was on it.

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 02:15 AM
You can't say I'm an idiot in one post coz of another....:P Rude person. Anyway, well, we have no re-release...so there. Only cover i have ever seen for it. Plus...re-release cover or not. Its still a point that Thora was on it.

Err...Thora was on ALL the original covers...so that's like stating the sky's blue. And yes, I said you're an idiot using the exact same post you'll find, just two snippets from it. And I stand by it.

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Err...Thora was on ALL the original covers...so that's like stating the sky's blue. And yes, I said you're an idiot using the exact same post you'll find, just two snippets from it. And I stand by it.

Well you do that. I'm not an idiot. Someone has to stick up for me, and it shall be me. We all have our blonde moments.

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Well you do that. I'm not an idiot. Someone has to stick up for me, and it shall be me. We all have our blonde moments.

You must've been born in a vat of peroxide then ;)

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 02:30 AM
You must've been born in a vat of peroxide then ;)

Well i must have been...seeing as im so stupid and idiotic.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 03:01 AM
Well i must have been...seeing as im so stupid and idiotic.

Notice the ";)" sign, he means he's kidding. It's not wise to take EVERYTHING seriously on these boards, like jacoby's eyepatch, hazzle's good looks, etc... it's all fun and games.

LoveKeria
23-10-2004, 03:09 AM
Jacob has an eyepatch ;) - [See I'm learning]

dying to live
23-10-2004, 05:45 AM
hey knightleynews, do u know about a california west-coast release of The Hole? Thanks :)

dying to live
23-10-2004, 05:52 AM
my bad.... Ipomea posted on keira watch "Just a reminder, today is the US release date of The Hole on video/DVD." :icon_surp

sweet i hope the stores have it. :icon_popc

Renegade EDIT: Edit button next time. It saves space...And looks pretty.

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Notice the ";)" sign, he means he's kidding. It's not wise to take EVERYTHING seriously on these boards, like jacoby's eyepatch, hazzle's good looks, etc... it's all fun and games.

True that. Just introducing people to the banter, to the unique style of the Wavefront.

frodo1511
23-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Just introducing people to the banter, to the unique style of the Wavefront.

Yeah, but some people take your bantering a little TOO seriously, and they never come back.

Their mistake...

Hazzle
23-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but some people take your bantering a little TOO seriously, and they never come back.

Their mistake...

True that. C'mon people...it's all a bit of fun...sheesh...

LoveKeria
24-10-2004, 02:18 AM
"Unique Style of the Wavefront"

Hummm.....I think i'm duly introduced.

peach
24-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I think The Hole was ok but not better than that. I think the begining was better then the rest of it. Things started to go out of hand it got a bit silly and confusing. However when it started I thought It would be a good film, I had to look twice over my sholders every 15 minutes.

Hazzle
24-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I think The Hole was ok but not better than that. I think the begining was better then the rest of it. Things started to go out of hand it got a bit silly and confusing. However when it started I thought It would be a good film, I had to look twice over my sholders every 15 minutes.

Started well, fell apart. True story.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Tell me Hazz, is it worth watching/renting? It appears that everyone seems to think it not her best work, and with the rerelease and all, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to find.

Hazzle
24-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Tell me Hazz, is it worth watching/renting? It appears that everyone seems to think it not her best work, and with the rerelease and all, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to find.

Who said it's not her best work? I think one of the main reasons the end was so terrible was that Keira's performance was like...the only good one. And it was actually quite an impressive performance I thought. I'd watch it on tv if I was you, unless you can get a cheapo rental. Depends how much rental costs round your way.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Who said it's not her best work? I think one of the main reasons the end was so terrible was that Keira's performance was like...the only good one. And it was actually quite an impressive performance I thought. I'd watch it on tv if I was you, unless you can get a cheapo rental. Depends how much rental costs round your way.

Ok will do, I've got cable, so I'll be on the lookout. Rentals at Blockbuster are around 2 bucks for a weekend DVD, so I may try there.

Hazzle
24-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Ok will do, I've got cable, so I'll be on the lookout. Rentals at Blockbuster are around 2 bucks for a weekend DVD, so I may try there.

That's not too bad. Try it. It's not too bad and you do get to see the Knightley norks.

frodo1511
24-10-2004, 07:35 PM
you do get to see the Knightley norks.

Ahh, the infamous Knightley norks. Dunno if that's the selling point of the movie, considering you guys said they only get 3 or so seconds of showtime;)

Hazzle
24-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Ahh, the infamous Knightley norks. Dunno if that's the selling point of the movie, considering you guys said they only get 3 or so seconds of showtime;)

Ahhh...but then to your rescue there comes the great invention known as the pause button. Arrrr...God bless the man (it had to be a man) who invented the pause button.

Domino
27-10-2004, 02:20 PM
she must have had loads of guts to pose nude in a movie, once in my Drama group production a girl had to go on stage topless but no one saw anything cos she wasn't facing the stage. but that was nerve racking for her.

apoggy
27-10-2004, 02:28 PM
It was hardly posing nude

LoveKeria
27-10-2004, 03:01 PM
If you can put past everyone inherent "judging" its really quite a good movie. The story line is very good and the movie itself is wonderful.

Its quite annoying how people say movies are not good, i tend to be of the opinion that a movie is a movie. I love movies, so when i watch a movie, i'm more like, "wow im watching a movie" and i get so caught up in the story that i completely ignore the fact that it might not be the best movie on earth.

Its true, the Hole is not the be all and end of all movies, however it is one of the best films, percentagly owning to Miss. Knightlys involvedment, but still. I really liked it, and sometimes a confusing or simpled movie, whatever you choose to view it as, is really not that bad anyway. Just watch it, you'll never know otherwise, because no one is the same as you, therefore no one is going to view it exactly like you will.

Hazzle
27-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Wasn't confusing or simplified. Was badly made. It was, without doubt, a shit film. That's not an opinion. That's not whether I liked it or not (I actually like it, a lot, and it entertained me...barely...largely thanks to Keira...so very limited repeat viewing), that's a critique of the quality of the filmmaking.

LoveKeria
28-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Dosn't mean everyone else is going to have the same opinion. Exibit A...i dont.

deviljet88
28-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Hm... its still too depressing for me to watch.

Leonie
28-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Dosn't mean everyone else is going to have the same opinion. Exibit A...i dont.

You could watch a film and say that some of the actors were bad. That lines were delivered in an awkward way. That certain characters were too flat to be convincing. All of the above does not mean the film is not enjoyable, it merely states facts about the quality. The entertainment factor may still be there. Some people may only enjoy films of good quality. Others believe that a film does not have to be Oscar worthy (i.e. well made, not necessarily entertaining) for them to like it. Your opinion may differ on whether or not you *like* a film, but you can judge its quality objectively.

Hmmm. I think the following bit may contain a bit of a spoiler. It's not like we all don't know the storyline already, but I'll warn you anyway.

Do I think The Hole is a good film? No. Do I like it? Yes. It had some really good things to it. I really liked the first half or so, and at that point I was lost and no longer understood what was going on. I mean that in the best way possible :D Anyway, me and my sentimental heart were thinking "What, they're not dead after all?" I liked it. It had its funny moments ("But I'm not gay!" "Yeah yeah..."), bits that freaked me out, overall an enjoyable film. But quality-wise... No. The ending was weak and not that convincing.

Like you said in one of your earlier posts, when I watch a film, I get caught up. Most of the time. If I do, that means I like it, if I don't, it means I'm bored. I can't say I enjoy all the art house kinda things that get made, I usually can't care less about the characters, although people would argue those are films of quality. K, I think I've tried to proved my point enough now :D

Hazzle
28-10-2004, 09:16 PM
^^^^^ What she said.

Lovekeria. I didn't state an opinion, I objectively critiqued the film. I even SAID I liked the film. Thus you DO have the same opinion as to its enjoyability. My critique wasn't an opinion, it was an objective judgement of its quality. If you sat down and objective critiqued it, the camerawork, the plot, the lighting etc...and you think it was a great film (as in a well MADE film) then that's fair enough, but stating you liked it does NOT make it a good film. I liked it, I still accept it was a really badly made film.

Richard
28-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I liked it. This was actually the first british thriller I've seen.

But just for the record, it's a rather easy film to follow - if one can get passed the accents. I never thought the movie was scary, but I did think it was original.

Keira was great addition to the film, who can say otherwise? Oh but I'm sure someone will. :p

Hazzle
28-10-2004, 10:27 PM
I liked it.

Just so there's no confusion over the rest of this post, I'll repeat: So did I.

But just for the record, it's a rather easy film to follow - if one can get passed the accents. I never thought the movie was scary, but I did think it was original.

And I agree with the first part of that, it's very easy to follow. It also wasn't scary, but did you really think it was original? I thought it was riddled with cliche, and whilst the concept of "The Hole", as in the bunker, was a nice concept, and had huge potential, I felt the film suffered from an abundance of tacky cliches (the popular good looking girl who just HAD to have an eating disorder serves as just one example) and actually wasted a great chance to make a truly good British film.

Incidentally, for my money, best British Thriller of recent years has to be 28 Days Later...but that's slightly off topic :p

KnightleyNews
29-10-2004, 07:44 PM
As I have some bandwidth spare this month while my clips are offline I've put up THAT scene from The Hole, for those who haven't seen it (or even for those who have :) ).
This is the full scene, 8.3Mb:
http://www.keiraweb.com/hole11.wmv

Paul

EmotionSickness
03-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Okay, I just shelled out $25 for this movie. I feel like such a dolt. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the film for what it was -- a simple, pseudo-creepy, teenage thriller -- but it was such an impulse buy, I swear. It's a brand-new release, so of course they're going to jack up the price to a quite unreasonable level. And of course Keira is being used as the main marketing tool (Nick Hamm "the director of Godsend!", too). As you all probably know, she is the focal point of the DVD cover and gets second billing this time around (she even gets her own review quote on the cover: "Keira Knightley ... Gets More Than A Few Pulses Racing!").

Anyway, like I said, I enjoyed the film. I admit, I found myself having to use the subtitles at certain points because some of the dialogue was virtually inaudible and it was kind of difficult for me to get past "Geoff"'s accent, on occasion. Overall, an entertaining movie, I'd say. I think I'd give it 2.5 out of 4.

Ohh, and Desmond Harrington is fucking gorgeous, isn't he? *swoon*

Sarah
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I found myself having to use the subtitles at certain points because some of the dialogue was virtually inaudible and it was kind of difficult for me to get past "Geoff"'s accent, on occasion.

For me, Geoff was the easiest to understand, lol. I guess it just shows the differences in speech really.

I hated the accent that Thora Birch put on. It just seem really fake to me.

Richard
03-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Ohh, and Desmond Harrington is fucking gorgeous, isn't he? *swoon*

He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

I hated the accent that Thora Birch put on. It just seem really fake to me.

Thora's character was the hardest to understand, for me that is. Geoff followed second.

Foeni
03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
she must have had loads of guts to pose nude in a movie, once in my Drama group production a girl had to go on stage topless but no one saw anything cos she wasn't facing the stage. but that was nerve racking for her.

It's not a nude scene. She shows her breast for like 2-3 seconds.
That said, I agree with you. She is only 16 years old, and that's quite young to do a scene like that, I think. Especially when they are not bigger than they are. Most people feels kinda like nice breast = big breasts. So she must have had guts, yes.

LoveKeria
04-11-2004, 08:04 AM
^^^^^ What she said.

Lovekeria. I didn't state an opinion, I objectively critiqued the film. I even SAID I liked the film. Thus you DO have the same opinion as to its enjoyability. My critique wasn't an opinion, it was an objective judgement of its quality. If you sat down and objective critiqued it, the camerawork, the plot, the lighting etc...and you think it was a great film (as in a well MADE film) then that's fair enough, but stating you liked it does NOT make it a good film. I liked it, I still accept it was a really badly made film.

And people can also have different points of view on critique, i thought it was a good quality movie. Ha. so there. Not reall, im just arguing. I did think it was a good quality film though, mainly because i fall in love with anything that is brittish...force of habbit.

EDIT:

[QUOTE=Richard]He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

-- Isn't it annoying that he should have to itterate that he isn't gay...just my two cents.

Leonie
04-11-2004, 08:13 AM
EDIT:

[QUOTE=Richard]He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

-- Isn't it annoying that he should have to itterate that he isn't gay...just my two cents.

Yes, it's terrible.
You'll find that we're actually really tolerant here, we love everyone, whether they're gay, straight or somewhere in between. Don't argue for the sake of it unless your Haz :icon_razz

As for The Hole - I don't think we're ever going to agree :D Ah well, at least everyone enjoyed it. I bought the DVD a little while ago, for something like 6 euros. Right after I'd found BILB for 9 euros. That was a very fruitful Keira day :D

LoveKeria
04-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Yes, it's terrible.
You'll find that we're actually really tolerant here, we love everyone, whether they're gay, straight or somewhere in between. Don't argue for the sake of it unless your Haz :icon_razz

As for The Hole - I don't think we're ever going to agree :D Ah well, at least everyone enjoyed it. I bought the DVD a little while ago, for something like 6 euros. Right after I'd found BILB for 9 euros. That was a very fruitful Keira day :D

Well, here is a different story, I'm Bi and i still get shit from the people who call themselves 'my friends'. Eh, its so stupid. I argue, all the time. I love arguing.

-- Yup...not going to agree on the hole. Thats awesome...i found it for eight dollars i think...i might go back and get it. Not sure yet, i have it on video but i want it on dvd.

Foeni
04-11-2004, 08:39 PM
You just have to ignore them when they talk shit to you. You are different from the majority. Therefor you will always be judged another way than straight people is. Not that it's wrong being Bi, I'm perfectly fine with it, but it's different..

Richard
04-11-2004, 09:13 PM

You guys toke that shit way too seriously. I was merely joking. If I was gay, I'd say it.

I commonly input that whenever I say another guy is attractive. I know it's not needed, but I do it anyway. Old habits die hard. It was a little childish and immature, and for that I apologize if I offended anybody.

Leonie
04-11-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a brilliant idea. Granted, it doesn't happen very often, but this one's a winner:

Let's start talking about The Hole again eh?

AureaMediocritas
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM
It might be slightly stupid and rather not interesting to ask , but what exactly
was "the Hole" ? If I got it right , in the film it was said to be some kind of
WW II air raid shelter (if this turns out to be correct , I know what to visit
next when in Britain :) ).

Leonie
04-11-2004, 09:44 PM
It was the escape hatch for the bomb shelter a bit further down the road. Something along the lines of that. If you're going to visit it, you now know what not to do :icon_razz Who says Keira films have no educational value?

AureaMediocritas
04-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks a lot ...
Yes , I should probably stay out in case the ladder has not been fixed
adequately yet ( not to mention Francis´ bolemic ghost hauting the place :icon_err: )

Hazzle
05-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey...I don't argue for the sake of it...

Oh who am I kidding? :p

The Hole...it's better than a lot of the plastic American teen thrillers which are largely trash. However it's still poor. Generally Teen Thrillers are. It COULD have been a good film had Nick Hamm managed to get across the social critique the film was supposed to be about.

Y'see "The Hole" itself was supposed to be a metaphor for teenage isolation. But I don't think that came across so much as, for example, Danny Boyle's critique of, at least this is how I understood it, but of the dog-eat-dog society we live in, possibly even capitalism itself, which is of course the root cause of that "dog-eat-dog" mentality. I mean that's what I saw in Mark's image of climbing on top of people at the train station (God it escapes me right now which train station, but it was one of the major London ones :p). Incidentally...if you're a fan of British films...that for me is one of our best in many years...fucking awesome.

The Hole...meh...compared to some of the stuff we put out...it's crap. Not a fan of Hamm's work myself...but that may just be me. Now Boyle...I like his work...a lot.

LoveKeria
07-11-2004, 03:11 AM
If The Hole was still crap but better than American trash then it kinda degrades alot of movies. :| Anyway...i argue for the sake of it...it's fun.

bob
07-11-2004, 03:37 AM
well, there are actually a LOT of crap movies out there. movies which my video store tends to stock up on instead of classics or good 90s films. WHY? because my local video store is staffed by IDIOTS.

Hazzle
08-11-2004, 02:36 AM
well, there are actually a LOT of crap movies out there. movies which my video store tends to stock up on instead of classics or good 90s films. WHY? because my local video store is staffed by IDIOTS.

The girl speaks sense. There are a LOT of crap movies out there...I'm a very harsh critic.

frodo1511
11-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Ok, I was flipping through channels late this evening, and what was playing on Encore?

The Hole. I wanted to see this movie for quite some time. I believe Encore aired the updated version, since the picture was much crisper and lighter then screens I've seen online, but it may just be me.
Now, this was an above-par movie. Nothing spectacular, but it didn't suck. Performances were what I expected from teenagers, and it took me a while to remember Thora Birch from Hocus Pocus :icon_redf . Anyways, Keira's performance was neat, seeing her as a semi-dominatrix(the locker room scene comes to mind). Anyway, what everyone does to one another inside the bunker was rather disturbing. Paranoia must set in really quick over in England(I'd probably be the same way, but to a lesser degree.
Overall, a nice break from all the teen movies of America(although Wedding Crashers kicked so much ass). 8/10