PDA

View Full Version : Redo...Redon't

hasselbrad
23-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Dyce's brilliant parody of Ice, Ice Baby got me thinking about remakes.
What are some of you favorite remakes, be they songs or movies?
What are some remakes that made you want to regurgitate?

Some of my favorites are:

Dr. Zhivago Simply for Keira. Sam Neill and Hans Matheson were cartoon characters, but this was the first thing I saw Keira really act in. The ending will break your heart.

Mrs. Robinson The Lemonheads Simply put, they didn't fuck it up. It was just made heavier. It's not better than the original, just different.

Pictures of Matchstick Men I'm drawing a complete blank on the group that did this in the early 1990's as well as on the lead singer's name. He fronted Cracker later on. Again, a very good version. The song had a very trippy vibe to begin with and they stayed true to the original.

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon Urge Overkill Apologies to any Neil Diamond fans, but UO did this one better.

I'm a Believer Smashmouth This is the kind of shit this band was born to do. I like them, because they understand...and embrace...this fact.

On to the unmitigated disasters...

Behind Blue Eyes Limp Biskit Fuck Fred Durst. He took one of the greatest songs ever and turned it into a bad joke. Seriously, dickhead can't really rap...and he sure as hell can't sing. It sounds like kareoke night on nickel beer night. He deserves to be drawn and quartered.

American Woman Lenny Kravitz Um...no...your pretty boy, grungy Bohemian image doesn't mask the fact that you fucked it up.

Free Bird I am drawing a blank on this one too. I think it may have been a group called Will To Power in the mid 80's (that really says it all, doesn't it) that did a synth laden, slow dance version of the Skynyrd classic. There is a special circle in Hell for these people.

I'll leave the movie remake disasters to The Black Rider. I can't scratch the surface of his knowledge.

edit: Camper Van Beethoven! That is the band who did Pictures of Matchstick Men.

Spire
23-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon Urge Overkill Apologies to any Neil Diamond fans, but UO did this one better.

Pulp Fiction all the way baby!

Good remakes:
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - This remake is worth the $40 for the new cinema scenes alone, not to mention the improved gameplay.

Resident Evil - Another great remake on the Gamecube, 100 times prettier than the original, and even scarier and cooler thanks to defensive weapons and crimson heads.

hasselbrad
23-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Ooh...ooh...ooh. I almost forgot...

Hurt Johnny Cash Holy fucking shit. Very rarely does the remake completely bury the original. This one does. The raw emotion in Cash's voice alone...nevermind the images in the video...outstrip the anger in Reznor's voice in the original. Cash made this his song.

Richard
23-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Music:

Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Possibly the only band that could have re-made this classic song into a well-respected remake. I love this version just as much as the original.

Don't Fear The Reaper - The Mutton Birds
This version played during the end credits of The Frighteners, and being a fan of the original release by The Blue Oyster Cult... I loved this one better.

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
What hasselbrad said. :)

Movies:

Night of the Living Dead
Tom Savini directed this 1990 release, and I loved it better than Romero's.

Dr. Zhivago
What hasselbrad said. :)

Regurgitating remakes:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Honestly, this Leatherface looked weak. Anybody who fell for this shit-remake is seriously disturbed.

Psycho
While I do have an unusual fantasy of seeing all of Hitchcock's movies remade, this one was just done wrong. I thought remakes were suppose to be different from the original. They made the mistake of keeping everything the same. :icon_Oogl

DragonRat
23-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (originally by David Bowie)

The Starting Line - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (originally by Jefferson Starship)

311 - Love Song (originally by the Cure)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (originally by Bob Dylan)

I'll think of some more.

Dyce_Blue
23-09-2004, 10:37 PM
The worst remake I can think of is last year's NBA Jam.

What the hell were they thinking. All of the players wear clown shoes and are 9 feet tall. They officially tainted the JAM legacy.

hasselbrad
23-09-2004, 10:51 PM
It's funny...but when I first thought of this topic, I was thinking about bad remakes (having just heard Behind Blue Eyes), but there have really been a lot of good remakes.

Jasper
23-09-2004, 10:57 PM
The Toy Dolls - Livin' La Vida Loca

Best remake ever. UK Punk cover of a Latin pop song... and they made it awesome!

frodo1511
23-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Spider-Man: great comic book, great cartoon, AWESOME MOVIE.

Resident Evil(the game): one of THE best looking games out there, scarier, funner, and overall a great remake to an already classic game. Kudos to Capcom, can't wait for RE4.

EmotionSickness
23-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Only doing songs, for the moment...

"All Along the Watchtower" -- Hendrix covering Bob Dylan
"Quinn the Eskimo" -- Manfred Mann covering Bob Dylan
"Mr. Tambourine Man" -- the Birds covering Bob Dylan

"Down in the Park" -- the Foo Fighters covering Marilyn Manson, I believe. Someone else may have written this song, but I'm fairly sure Manson sang it first. Needless to say, the FF's version is extremely superior.

"Baker Street" -- the Foo Fighters covering Gerry Rafferty (I feel their cover is better than the original; the wailing guitar in place of the saxaphone = brilliant).

"Love Song" -- 311 covering the Cure

"Oi to the World" -- No Doubt covering the Vandals
"It's My Life" -- No Doubt covering Talk Talk

"The Man Who Sold the World" -- Nirvana covering David Bowie

"Big Yellow Taxi" -- the Counting Crows covering Joni Mitchell

"Minor Threat" -- silverchair covering Minor Threat
"Wasted/Fix Me" -- silverchair covering Black Flag

"Mrs. Robinson" -- the Lemonheads covering Simon and Garfunkel

I like almost all of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' covers. My favorites include their covers of the show tunes "My Favorite Things" (from The Sound of Music), "What I Did For Love" (from A Chorus Line), "Why Are There So Many Songs About Rainbows?" (from the Muppets), and "Cabaret" (from Cabaret).

Worst covers (that I can think of, at the mo) ...

"The First Cut is the Deepest" -- Sheryl Crowe covering Cat Stevens (she wishes she was talented enough to pull this off).

"American Woman" -- Lenny Kravitz covering the Guess Who (Lenny, while he used to be pretty cool ... well, his voice simply pales in comparison to Burton Cummings').

"Tomorrow" -- Kittie covering silverchair (at least I think they tried to cover "Tomorrow". Horrid, either way. Fuck Kittie.)

Pretty much any modern band who's brave enough to tackle covering the Beatles. It never works. Or I have yet to hear it work, anyway.

Dyce_Blue
23-09-2004, 11:57 PM
I hear that Britney Spears is making a cover of a Bobby Brown song.

Maybe she will pick up his crack addiction too and we can be done with her finally...

Jasper
24-09-2004, 12:01 AM
"Love Song" -- 311 covering the Cure

I like The Cure's version better. (Especially their acoustic version)

The Black Rider
24-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, remakes of songs are technically called "covers," but whatever.

Most Dylan covers are better than the original. Not because Dylan's a bad performer in the slightest; it's just like that I guess.

The Clash's "I Fought the Law" cover is awesome. I can't remember who did the original, but it was awful.

As for movies, most remakes are bad, but there are a few gems out there. Certainly The Birdcage, remake of La Cage Aux Folles, mainly because of the brilliant casting. The Seven Samurai remakes aren't bad, considering the shoes being filled: The Magnificent Seven and The Wild Bunch. I also thought The Ladykillers was hilarious. Not nearly as good as the original, but hilarious nonetheless. And Ocean's Eleven (the original was terrible).

The Zhivago remake was decent but still vastly inferior to the genius of the original. But I definitely agree with hasselbrad, Neill and Matheson were awful. Neill can be good, but he clearly didn't understand the part the way Steiger did (I don't even like Steiger, so that's saying something.) And as for Omar Shariff, well, who can compare? Keira did a good job, I thought. No Julie Christie, but still impressive.

They need to follow the example of Ocean's Eleven and remake bad movies. Instead, they keep on remaking classics like Get Carter or Breathless. Hell, they almost remade The Wicker Man. Remake The Incident. I'm telling you, that movie is perfect.

EmotionSickness
24-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Haha, so do I, Jasper. The Cure (and 311) are two of my favorite bands, but they're not even really comparable, simply because they're sooo different. I really liked 311's reggae spin on the song, though. Just because I listed it doesn't mean I think it's better than the original.

Just want to clarify for everyone -- everything I listed (unless otherwise stated) ... I didn't feel it was better than the original, but a good cover, rather.

Edit: TBR .... what's wrong with The Incident?! I thought that was a great film, especially for its time. I can hardly believe that it's Martin Sheen. On second thought, don't tell me how much you hated it. Haha. PM me about, or something. Save yourself the scorn (now, they'll just yell at me for going "off-topic"). :p

Jasper
24-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Okay, good. The Cure is one of my favorite bands as well. :)

There's a Guitar Center in Orlando giving away a guitar signed by Robert Smith this week!!!@!@! Sadly, I highly doubt I will win it :(.

The Black Rider
24-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I said "whatever"... :icon_redf

But I just remembered, I recently heard a cover of The Smiths' classic "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by some electronica act. Worst cover I've ever heard. Avoid it at all costs.

Of course, there's Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U". Beautiful cover.

Renegade
24-09-2004, 04:06 AM
As far as movies go, I enjoyed the remake of Ocean's Eleven. All-star cast. Witty and clever script.

hasselbrad
24-09-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised nobody...*ahem* Richard...mentioned Madonna's cover of American Pie. That has to be the worst cover, ever!
Don McLean is well within his rights to hunt her down and kill her. Thankfully, not even Madonna's star power could keep that piece of shit on the airwaves more that one or two rotations.

Much of Led Zeppelin's catalog are covers, and they did a pretty good job with the material.
Cream did as well, although they were more faithful to the originals.
Robert Johnson is truly the 'father' of Rock and Roll. :)

Richard
24-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised nobody...*ahem* Richard...mentioned Madonna's cover of American Pie. That has to be the worst cover, ever!

I said no such thing. :icon_surp

Come on, I'm not that low. Don McLean owns. :)

hasselbrad
24-09-2004, 07:09 PM
I said no such thing. :icon_surp

Come on, I'm not that low. Don McLean owns. :)

No...I know how you like that song, and I figured you would have been offended by her covering it.

And, oh yeah, Mr. Black Rider...thanks for throwing me under the bus. Remake just worked with both movies and music. :p

EmotionSickness
25-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Yes, I was absolutely appalled by Madonna's cover of "American Pie" (I fucking love Don McLean ... and not just "American Pie Don McLean". I'm a big fan of all his music). Madonna can't get most of her own songs right ... she should never attempt to do another cover again.

I was also pretty disgusted with Fiona Apple's cover of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" (one of my favorite songs of all time). Yeah, she pretty much butchered it with her voice, needless to say.

Hmmm. I just recently heard a cover of John Lennon's classic, "Imagine", done by A Perfect Circle (a band I am very fond of) and I don't know how I feel about it yet. I'm sorta on the fence. It's from their up-coming album, which is going to be made up of mostly covers (I'm extremely curious to hear their take on Elvis Costello's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding" and Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks").

You can all take a listen here (http://www.subliminalis.net/college__life/92304/A_Perfect_Circle_-_Imagine.mp3) or here (http://lunarproject4.free.fr/a_perfect_circle_imagine_(john_lennon_cover).rar).

But remember, this is just their interpretation of the song.

Liam
25-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Metallica are cover lords.

Whiskey in the Jar is a fucking awesome cover. Turn the Page and Tuesday's Gone arent bad either.

Jacoby
25-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I was also pretty disgusted with Fiona Apple's cover of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" (one of my favorite songs of all time). Yeah, she pretty much butchered it with her voice, needless to say.

Rufus Wainwrights cover of "Across the Universe" is wonderful. You should check it out.

EmotionSickness
25-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Ohh, I have, Jake. :) It's one of the only Beatle covers that I find even remotely adequate or tolerable. I particularly enjoyed the rendition he performed with John's youngest son, Sean Lennon (and Kevin Spacey, was it?) at that "Tribute to John Lennon" special that was on network television a few years ago. Lovely.

Dyce_Blue
25-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I forgot about Ma$e.

His best song ever, "Feels so Good" is a remake of a Gloria Estefan song called "Bad Boys".

This is a great remake even though he really just stole the beat and the chorus. He goes above and beyond the original.

Even Ma$e's video is better. In Estefan's she walks around an alleyway with the cast of "Cats". Those are her "bad boys"?

hasselbrad
06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I heard Britney's remake of My Perogative. There's three minutes and change of my life I'll never get back. It makes me want to :icon_guin

seventhson
06-12-2004, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=EmotionSickness]Only doing songs, for the moment...

"All Along the Watchtower" -- Hendrix covering Bob Dylan
"Quinn the Eskimo" -- Manfred Mann covering Bob Dylan
"Mr. Tambourine Man" -- the Birds covering Bob Dylan

Right on, ES!

Alot of artists cover Dylan tunes...credit to Bob! That reminds me of another cover of a Dylan song by another Bob. Robert Plant, former lead vocals for Led Zeppelin, covered Dylan's "One more cup of coffee" on his latest solo album Dream Land. The original song was/is great, just as Dylan wanted it to be, but Robert Plant surrounded himself with quality musicians on this album and I will not say the cover version is equal to Dylan's original, but it stands on its own as an admirable cover because Plant's guitarist really explored the Spanish/classical influence with the guitar work in the Plant version. Not a version equal to the original Dylan version, but different in a respectful way because Plant's guitarist explored and revealed his own interpretation of what was more subtly layered in Dylan's original.
Covers are seldom as good as the original, but can be almost as enjoyable if done with respect for the original intent and content of the original version. A different interpretation and/or accent on an expression with a musical instrument may allow the cover to stand on its own without butchering the gift of the original like my garage band does when we cover Dylan or Zeppelin songs.
Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)

Scott
07-12-2004, 02:00 AM
Agree with you there Liam, 'tallica did a great job with Whiskey in a Jar.

CFC
07-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Redon'ts

Vanilla Ice and Ice Ice Babay. Ramke of Queen's Under Pressure was crap.

Let's Go destroyed Crazy Train.

Nelly and Justin Timerlake fucking up Back in Black.

Basically all rap songs that take stuff from good rock bands.

CollisionStar
07-12-2004, 02:27 AM
I don't know who it was, but some band covered "Hotel California" by the Eagles. At least tried too. I can never accept another band doing that song.

"Girls of Summer"...I've heard several remakes of this. They all suck.

Scott
07-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Yeah, that song gives me the shits.

Ashley
07-12-2004, 05:33 AM
Vanilla Ice and Ice Ice Babay. Ramke of Queen's Under Pressure was crap.

That wasn't a remake. He just lifted the hook and then got sued for it, even though he claimed it wasn't the same because he added a "tsh"... he's a fool.

Redon'ts- The American Pie cover.. that was just wretched, as was My Perrogative. Good calls on both.

Redo's - Smashing Pumpkin cover of Landslide.

Liam
07-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Spiderbait's remake of Black Betty was terrible terrible terrrible. It was played like every 5 minutes on commercial radio .. I can't even begin to describe how pissed off it makes me

I find it hilarious, but only cause the crazy guy at work in Ireland used to wander around shouting it at the top of his voice.
Then again, he was perma-stoned.

hasselbrad
07-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm not really sure I can see Black Betty being done any worse. The original always reminded me of a rehearsal.
My daughter is a huge Hilary Duff fan, and I was mildly impressed with her (and her sister's) remake of the Go-Go's Our Lips Are Sealed. Notice, I said mildly. I guess I was just more impressed by the fact that they didn't butcher it.
I prefer Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal better than the original.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers' did us a great service by remaking Higher Ground and Roller Coaster.
Ray Charles' version of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire makes me want to have sex. It's amazing what a change of voice can do to a song.

Sarah
07-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Anything that Westlife sing is 99% a cover ... and they're all shite.

Hazzle
07-12-2004, 05:43 PM
"Girls of Summer"...I've heard several remakes of this. They all suck.

Errr. You mean Girls of Summer by Aerosmith? I've not heard any covers of that. Sure you don't mean Boys of Summer by Don Henley? If so I agree.

Whiskey in the Jar...ARRRR.

I agree with most of ES's selections :D

Mags
07-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Ray Charles' version of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire makes me want to have sex. It's amazing what a change of voice can do to a song.

Ring of Fire is perhaps the most insiduous song in the entire world. I can hear that song once and have it running through my head for three weeks. However...a Ray Charles version? I must have it...if only to torture my sister, who despises Ring of Fire because it's so invasive on her poor mind.

/me sings Ring of Fire

As for remakes...this might get evil replies from some of you, but I absolutely love Lauryn Hill's remake of Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, though I'm a big fan of Denise Richards' too. /me giggles about Jesus.

Oh, and the Fugees, Killing Me Softly. I LOVE that.

Ashley
07-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Anyone heard UB40's remake of Elvis' Can't Help Falling in Love? Oh the torture of that song! :icon_mecr

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 01:20 AM
As for remakes...this might get evil replies from some of you, but I absolutely love Lauryn Hill's remake of Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, though I'm a big fan of Denise Richards' too. /me giggles about Jesus.

Prefer Muse's and not one of them touches the original.

ARRR. Now THAT is a great cover.

Anyone heard UB40's remake of Elvis' Can't Help Falling in Love? Oh the torture of that song! :icon_mecr

I don't think I recall an Elvis cover ever being done that well. Oh yes, covering Elvis is an even bigger defilement than The Beatles because Elvis > The Beatles. Yes, it's true kids.

Mags
08-12-2004, 02:34 AM
ARRR. Now THAT is a great cover.

My only problem is that now every time I hear that song I actually just see Hugh Grant on stage playing it with Marcus in About A Boy...singing with their eyes closed. I can't escape it.

I have the Muse cover somewhere...but I don't know where.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 12:10 PM
My only problem is that now every time I hear that song I actually just see Hugh Grant on stage playing it with Marcus in About A Boy...singing with their eyes closed. I can't escape it.

Hahahaha. Yeah, me too ;)

the other night at the formal we thought they were about to play Smells Like Teen Spirit but then it turned into this pop song with someone like Christina wailing over the top of it and all the words were different.. it was reeeeally horribly awfully bad...does anyone know the 'song' i'm talking about? every now and then it would sound remotely like the nirvana song, but then it went back to some shitty remix.

DAMNIT! NEVER REMIX/COVER/OTHERWISE REDO NIRVANA!!!! :mad:

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM

Word.

Anyone for the Cardigan's remake of Ironman? *crickets chirping*
Hmmm. Didn't think so.
I did kind of like Joss Stone's remake of Fell In Love With a Girl. It was different, kind of like Ray Charles singing Johnny Cash.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I did kind of like Joss Stone's remake of Fell In Love With a Girl. It was different, kind of like Ray Charles singing Johnny Cash.

NO...NO NO NO NO NO. It was HIDEOUS!!!! :mad: The girl's got talent but...no.

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I said kind of...and Lord knows it's better than some of the shit (Madonna, etc.) that's been mentioned.
Has anyone heard Willie Nelson's cover of The Allman Bros.' Midnight Rider?
There was a DJ talking about how great it was the other day, but I'd never heard of it, let alone heard it.
Walk This Way by RunDMC w/Aerosmith was the only decent rap cover of a rock song.
Echo and the Bunnymen (I think) did a decent job with the The Doors' People are Strange.
Bananarama's Venus remake was listenable.
The Who own Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 04:39 PM
I think someone was DISSING Madonna's cover of Miss American Pie not praising it.

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I know they was dissin'. I led the charge. ;)
I just meant on the grand scale...1 being Madonna's bastardization of American Pie and 10 being Urge Overkill's You'll Be A Woman Soon, it ranks at about a 3.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Alright, that's about fair.

Best cover versions for me are Foo Fighters' version of Baker Street (LOVE that) and Nirvana's version of Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World (better than the original).

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Yes...I would give them both tens...but then I'd have to give Johnny Cash's version of Hurt and eleven.
Which, is cool, because this thread goes to eleven.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Arrr. I'm in agreement about that. I LOVE that version of Hurt.

Mandy
08-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Pffft. I love that song by Joss Stone. Given the original by the White Stripes is ten times better, but I think it's awesome she turned it into a more urban sound.
Jack White writes amazing music.

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 06:34 PM
I agree with you on Jack White but err...no. Joss has talent but no no no no no. Ruinated the song. I've got no problem with changing a song's style if you can pull it off...she didn't.

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Arrr. I'm in agreement about that. I LOVE that version of Hurt.

Ditto Rusty Cage.
If Johnny Cash covers one of your songs, it becomes his.

Jacoby
08-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Joss Stone pissed me off with that cover. She needs punishment.

What about the song "Hallelujah"? It's been re-done 800 times, now. My favorite is by Rufus, and was featured in Shrek, but some other people prefer Leonard Cohen's (I think that's his name). I dunno, I just wanted to say the thing about Joss Whore and didn't want to spam...

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm sorry to have rattled your rusty cage. :p

Rufus' Hallelujah uber alles! It almost makes me cry. :err:

Mags
08-12-2004, 07:28 PM
It *does* make me cry...but not actually Rufus's version...there was a version that played in the season finale of...season 3 of West Wing...when a Secret Service agent (Simon Donovan, played WONDERFULLY by um...Mark Harmon) got shot and killed (Duckula and Haz know what I'm talking about) and I just plain cried my eyes out. It's an incredible song, though I can't listen to it very much any more because I put that Rufus version on a cd and my mom asks me constantly to play it because she loves it so...and I'm almost a little sick of it.

Ok...other covers...

Oh
Jackopierce - Please Come To Boston

I have no idea who sang the song originally (and don't care at all) but the Jackopierce version rocks my face off.

And 10,000 Maniacs - Because The Night.
I have all the respect in the world for Bruce Springsteen (well, maybe not all the respect, but my sister tells me he's pretty cool) but Natalie Merchant rocks this song in a way the Boss never could.

This has probably already been posted but..Iron and Wine's version of "Such Great Heights" that was in the Garden State soundtrack is awesome, though I am partial to the Postal Service's original.

And The Indigo Girls did a cover of Joni Mitchell's "River" which I absolutely love...but that's mostly because I absolutely love The Indigo Girls.

hasselbrad
08-12-2004, 07:35 PM
It *does* make me cry...but not actually Rufus's version...there was a version that played in the season finale of...season 3 of West Wing...when a Secret Service agent (Simon Donovan, played WONDERFULLY by um...Mark Harmon) got shot and killed (Duckula and Haz know what I'm talking about) and I just plain cried my eyes out. It's an incredible song, though I can't listen to it very much any more because I put that Rufus version on a cd and my mom asks me constantly to play it because she loves it so...and I'm almost a little sick of it.

Ok...other covers...

Oh
Jackopierce - Please Come To Boston

I have no idea who sang the song originally (and don't care at all) but the Jackopierce version rocks my face off.

And 10,000 Maniacs - Because The Night.
I have all the respect in the world for Bruce Springsteen (well, maybe not all the respect, but my sister tells me he's pretty cool) but Natalie Merchant rocks this song in a way the Boss never could.

This has probably already been posted but..Iron and Wine's version of "Such Great Heights" that was in the Garden State soundtrack is awesome, though I am partial to the Postal Service's original.

And The Indigo Girls did a cover of Joni Mitchell's "River" which I absolutely love...but that's mostly because I absolutely love The Indigo Girls.

Damn you bringing that episode up. **sniff...sniff** I have allergies, dammit!

I hear the original version of Please Come to Boston every day (shitty easy listening station at work). I will have to find the Jackopierce version.

Natalie Merchant owns Because The Night

Hazzle
08-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Best version of "Hallelujah" is Jeff Buckley's. Sorry, no argument there. Leonard Cohen's is the original but Buckley's is the best cover and better than the original. THAT makes me cry every time. Not sure if that's the same one from the West Wing, my memory is failing me right now, but it was most recently used on the OC several times.

duckula
09-12-2004, 01:32 AM
It appears that Hazzle has stumbled upon the truth (a shocking first). There is no version of "Hallelujah" that can hold a candle to Jeff Buckley's rendition (it was the one in the West Wing).

Also a fan of G&R's Knocking On Heaven's Door.

Hazzle
09-12-2004, 01:46 AM
It appears that Hazzle has stumbled upon the truth (a shocking first). There is no version of "Hallelujah" that can hold a candle to Jeff Buckley's rendition (it was the one in the West Wing).

Also a fan of G&R's Knocking On Heaven's Door.

ARRR. The Duck rules. I'm in agreement with the G & R too.

hasselbrad
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Does it go something like...
Jo-lene, Jo-leeene, Jo-lene, Jo-leeeeeeene
and then something about not taking her man just because she can?

Hazzle
09-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Does it go something like...
Jo-lene, Jo-leeene, Jo-lene, Jo-leeeeeeene
and then something about not taking her man just because she can?

Yes. And I love it.

hasselbrad
09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Have you ever heard the original?

Dolly Parton.

Hazzle
09-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Have you ever heard the original?

Dolly Parton.

Have. Sorry, White Stripes cover is better.

hasselbrad
09-12-2004, 10:02 PM
As is Whitney's version of I Will Always Love You.

Hazzle
09-12-2004, 10:03 PM
As is Whitney's version of I Will Always Love You.

Yeah, not by much though ;). I LOATHE both versions of that song with a vengeance.

hasselbrad
14-12-2004, 12:28 PM
The Violent Femmes do a unique cover of Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? on the album Why Do Birds Sing?.

I'm not sure if many of you have heard of Tiffany, but in the late 1980s, she did a couple of the worst covers, ever. In fact, I don't think she released a song that wasn't a cover. First she ruined I Think We're Alone Now and then put her unique mallrat, synth-pop signature on I Saw Her Standing There by cleverly changing the lyric to "I saw him standing there". This was, no doubt, allowed to happen by the child raping, Beatles song selling Michael Jackson. Pud.

Ashley
14-12-2004, 09:48 PM
I really hate Michael Jackson for buying the Beatles cataloge. Bad form on his part. And then giving over songs to whoever wants them... poor poor poor.

hasselbrad
28-01-2005, 02:07 PM
ES! Me First and The Gimme Gimmes are awesome! Have you seen them live? I haven't, but I really want to. That's the kind of band that I loved to go see in college. I had some friends that had a band called The Butchers. They were a fucking riot. All dressed in butcher's aprons, covered in fake blood, racing through songs like MF&TGG's. Do you have Ruining Jonny's Bar Mitzvah? My daughter stole it from me for their versions on Hava Nagila. My fave on that is O Sole' Mio. I think. It's so hard to pick a favorite though.

hasselbrad
20-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I couldn't bear to not recognize Dyce in all of his prophetic glory...

I hear that Britney Spears is making a cover of a Bobby Brown song.

Maybe she will pick up his crack addiction too and we can be done with her finally...

To stay on topic...

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes...Goodbye Earl.
I think they do it better than the Dixie Chicks.

Hazzle
22-04-2007, 02:52 PM
The entire current Mark Ronson album.

Superb covers of some awesome songs.

hasselbrad
14-05-2007, 10:08 PM
The entire current Mark Ronson album.

Superb covers of some awesome songs.

I must find this. I've heard a bit on BBC Radio 1 via Sirius and it has tickled my fancy. I wasn't aware I even had a fancy, but apparently, I do.