PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars

Sarah
19-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes, its about time, the original trilogy is out on DVD tomorrow! I am very excited... yes, I'm a little geek when it comes to Star Wars.

Lets have a discussion about Star Wars... who is buying the box set!? You can buy it in 2 hours!

So, Star Wars Episodes IV, V AND VI. No I, II and III in here... well, perhaps just a little bit.

Jasper
19-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I must say that I am a huge Star Wars fan. I didn't like Episodes I, and II too much however.

I have probably seen IV, V, and VI about 100 times each. I used to know pretty much every line in the movies.

I won't be getting the box set, because... what's the point. There's not going to be too much new stuff added. My star wars addiction has pretty much gone away as well. I haven't seen any of the movies in a couple years now.

IV, V, and VI are still some of my favorite movies of all time though. I don't know really what else to discuss... so... I'll stop rambling.

Jacoby
19-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen any of the originals. :) I'm probably going to buy the box set. Wait, what am I saying? I don't have a job. I'm probably going to steal the box set.

Renegade
19-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Episode I was good. I liked it. Episode II was kinda iffy but the Yoda fight scene was awesome. IV, V, and VI are classics but unfortunately, I'm too poor to buy the box set. Maybe I'll buy it when the price lowers.

*It's only a matter of time until someone posts the fencing smiley. God, that smiley is fucking annoying!

CFC
19-09-2004, 09:39 PM
I had them on DVD last year so it is unlikely that I will buy them tomorrow. But I do love the old Star Wars.

ryan
19-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I fucking love Star Wars.
I'm buying the DVDs as soon as I get off work Tuesday.

frodo1511
19-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Yup, there's a midnight release of the trilogy tommorow, and I'm in line, and watching all three right when I get home. Screw school for one of the greatest trilogy's ever made. Oh, BTW, check out the calender on KKW, I posted the release date for it!

Hey Jasper, there is a point into getting the trilogy: all 3 films are re-digitally mastered from the 1997 re-release, with extra effects: the lightsabers are better, explosions are crisper, and get this: in the Return of the Jedi, when Darth Vader takes off his helmat, instead of the bald guy from 1983, it's Hayden Christensen from the new trilogy :icon_surp
Plus, there is also a fourth disc packed with 5-7 hours of extra footage never before seen before, as well as a playable Xbox demo of the new Star Wars: Battlefront video game. 'nuff said.

NearokA
20-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Sarah, did you just post something? wow.

I'm not really for star wars. Star wars is like fantasy meets the future. It's like knights and goblins and that sort of thing in 4000 AD. Most of it is like magic and stuff. Although, empire strikes back was pretty cool. But that's really the only star wars movie I like. Obi Wan gets his ass kicked. Nice!

Star trek is more of my thing. Star trek is like science meets the future. Most of what's on star trek is an exaggeration of what could actually be. And I've always wanted to be an astronaut so traveling the stars in great big interplanetary vessels is very appealing to me. Plus, the klingons are the most badass alien races created ever!

I also really like the 4 alien movies. Alien has got to be the best sci-fi movie I've ever seen.

Renegade
20-09-2004, 12:22 AM
in the Return of the Jedi, when Darth Vader takes off his helmat, instead of the bald guy from 1983, it's Hayden Christensen from the new trilogy :icon_surp

Honestly, is this a joke?

frodo1511
20-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Honestly, is this a joke?

I don't think it is, Renegade. I've heard two stories on the take: The one I previously mentioned, or Vader's eyes will be changed from blue to brown, to match Christensen's. Either one is fair game.

CFC
20-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Star Wars > Star Trek in everyway possible.

Narg
20-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Star Wars > Star Trek in everyway possible.

No, star wars does kick ass, but im sorry, 3 good movies, and 2 shit movies cant compete with 5 tv series (each running for about 5+ years), and a plethora of movies. Of which almost all are good. Star Trek is great, if you have a brain and can use it.

frodo1511
20-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Yes, I do like Spock
Vulcans are gods.

Jacoby
20-09-2004, 01:42 AM
I thought this was a Star Wars thread?

Sarah would kill you all if she saw what you're doing to her thread. Start a Trekkie thread. Trekkies.

Sarah
20-09-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't think it is, Renegade. I've heard two stories on the take: The one I previously mentioned, or Vader's eyes will be changed from blue to brown, to match Christensen's. Either one is fair game.

Please tell me that its just the eyes! How STUPID would it look if it was Hayden Christensen's head!! Oh, I must watch it when I get back from college tonight.

Jasper
20-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm not really for star wars. Star wars is like fantasy meets the future. It's like knights and goblins and that sort of thing in 4000 AD. Most of it is like magic and stuff.
"A long time ago... In a galaxy far, far away."
It was supposed to take place in the past...

Although, empire strikes back was pretty cool. But that's really the only star wars movie I like. Obi Wan gets his ass kicked. Nice!
Obi Wan was dead in Empire Strikes back... He died in A New Hope.

Sarah
20-09-2004, 06:30 PM
OK... Its fantastic. I have tears in my eyes. If you don't want to read any spoilers about the new DVDs, then don't read on.

Overall, its amazing. I know a lot of people get stressed at Lucas for changing the ''original'' version, but its HIS VISION! This is the way he wants it, and, quite frankly, I am impressed. Once we have episode III, everythign will be one long, incredible, fantastic movie.

Now, the DVDs. The special effects have been touched up (again) and they are amazing.

I was deeply moved with Return of the Jedi. The ending is a tear jerker. We see all of the planets celebrating, including Naboo! (Whhhat? I thought it was going to be destroid in Episode III, clearly not) (Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't see Naboo celebrating in the 1997 re-release did we!? Or did we? I can't remember)

Now, as for the Hayden head thing. Well... when Vader's helmet is removed, thats still the same man that played Vader in the original... but the Hologram at the very end with Yoda and Obi-Wan.. is Hayden Christensen. BUT, before you scream in terror... it WORKS! it made me cry and I loved it.

The most noticable differences are:

1) Hayden at the end of ROTJ (Fantastic)
2) New Emperor in ESB (Yes!!! Thank you GL!)
3) New Jabba in ANH (Still looks shit)

Well done George Lucas... you are a God.

Spire
20-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I love the Original Trilogy (the prequels are shit), ESB is my second favorite movie ever. I get the DVD set tomorrow, can't wait. I'm still extremely pissed that it's the Special Edition versions and not the originals, and the fact that he's changed even more in them. GL needs to die.

Sarah
20-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Spire... its George Lucas' vision. I have no complaints with it at all. He wants it to be told as one long story... I don't see why people are so pissed off. If you want the originals, you'll probably scream at the new DVD box set.

Spire
20-09-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't want George Lucas's vision, I want the original trilogy that I fell in love with. He's trying to totally erase all memory of the original's, he won't let the originals be shown at film festivals, gone even so far as to delete the master copies. He's needs to be stopped, he's trying to erase film history. Frankly, everything he touches these days turns to shit. The prequels are total and complete garbage, and the special editions have their problems.

Sarah
20-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I disagree.

frodo1511
20-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Sarah: Yeah, I got confused at the end of ROTJ. It was either at the end of the Battle of Endor, or the END end of the movie where they put Hayden in.

I also like the new and improved lightsabers. After seeing the new trilogy, I laughed at the old one, but I understand that in the 70's, that was state of the art. I'm glad that the blades look amazing.

GuinevereLover
20-09-2004, 09:20 PM
I got my DVD Boxset today I love it, the improved picture quality is superb, and I love the updated sound.

"GL needs to die."

Why? :icon_surp :icon_conf That's just mean, you can't say that! ;) Just remember without George Lucas and The Phantom Menace Keira's career may not have taken off so easily!

frodo1511
20-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Yup, I'll be in line in 5 hours, they'res a midnight release at Hastings this evening. After that, I'm staying up until I have to get ready for school, watching them.

Richard
20-09-2004, 11:24 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said?

The original three episodes reign supreme. I haven't seen the new ones, but I know they suck because if there's no Skywalker... what's the point?

Spire
21-09-2004, 02:42 AM
I get it tomorrow, although I won't be able to watch it completely until Friday. Stupid college and work!

Spire
22-09-2004, 04:57 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040922l.jpg

Nail on head.

Dyce_Blue
22-09-2004, 06:27 PM
I heard that Lucas really, really messed this one up with all the new additions. One of my friends couldn't even sit through the "New" Original...

Oh yeah, and there is a "surprise ending" for the Empire Strikes Back...

Spire
22-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Sure you're not talking about Return of the Jedi?

Boyscout
23-09-2004, 05:01 AM
I think it's gonna drive me crazy that I have to wait for the whole DVDs to be released! When I get the classic trilogy, I have to wait for Episode 3 DVD. It's pretty cruel to torture me like this!!!