PDA

View Full Version : Military Accountability?

Pete
12-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I read in the papers the other day about a british sas corporal being prosecuted for murder by a civil court, when he had already been cleared of any wrong doing by his military commanders....

the incident involved one of the operations of heavy fighting between the sas and iraqi militia in the cities, when they were clearing out the militia from the houses in the city. the patrol was sweeping the city hunting these people down when they came across two iraqis moving from building to another - when they saw the patrol one reached into his pocket - the patrol believing he was reaching for a grenade or some other weapon shot him dead. as it turns out - he was unarmed and what he was reaching for is unknown.

the question i pose is - should the soldier have waited until the person facing him had drawn a weapon before shooting him and possibly risked his life and those of the patrol - or was he right to shoot the person on the assessment of his actions when they met? - i mean - what on earth was he doing there in the first place? if the military was outside - why would you go to meet them?

discuss.

Renegade
12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
the question i pose is - should the soldier have waited until the person facing him had drawn a weapon before shooting him and possibly risked his life and those of the patrol -

Assuming he's fairly far from the iraqi soldier and already has his weapon aimed at him, he definitely should of waited. He should of only fired once he was positive the iraqi man had indeed pulled out a weapon.

CFC
12-09-2004, 09:22 PM
He did the right thing.

Jacoby
12-09-2004, 09:26 PM
He could've shot him in the arm...that way he'd be able to check the guy for a weapon, and if he didn't have one say "sorry".

duckula
12-09-2004, 09:31 PM
You don't shoot people in the arm. You shoot them until they are dead. Doing it any other way is just foolish.

Jacoby
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Well, I usually shoot children and people under the age of 18 in the arm...How old was the guy again?

duckula
12-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Old enough to get shot in the face I would imagine.

Jasper
12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Even if the soldier who shot him was far away, the Iraqi could have shot/blown up someone else before getting shot. The soldier did the right thing.

Jacoby
12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
He did the right thing.

Even if the soldier who shot him was far away, the Iraqi could have shot/blown up someone else before getting shot. The soldier did the right thing.

I wouldn't neccesarily say the "right" thing...But, in this case, I would forgive him. It's war, and these sorts of things are inevitable.

frodo1511
12-09-2004, 10:58 PM
The guy was doing the right thing. I mean, what would you have done, wait to see if it WAS a gun, and risk being shot? Or, shoot him first, and pray that your still alive. This is war, and accidents happen, considering that most, if not all the soldiers are at the end of their nerves, I can forgive the guy.

deviljet88
13-09-2004, 01:12 PM
The soldiers should go around saying, PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR (or get some Iraqi translation), as soon as they see people just so an accident like this has less chances of happening.

Liam
13-09-2004, 01:14 PM
In a military situation, your life and the life of your comrades comes first. You don't take any chances at all.

Its a pity he slotted the bloke, but he did the right thing.

hasselbrad
13-09-2004, 04:19 PM
This is war...not war on some goddamn videogame that can be reset or shut-off...but war where you have a fraction of a second to determine whether or not someone is friend or foe and, if the reset button gets pressed...you are going home in a body-bag.
This is the same fucking bullshit that goes on in this country every time some momma's "sweet baby" gets shot by the police. All we see on the news is momma wailing about what a good boy her baby was...nevermind the fact that he is 15 years old and has been arrested 27 times, nor the fact that he tried to run over the cops with the stolen car he was driving.
If you are in a combat zone...put your fucking hands in the air. Better yet, don't run from house to house. If you get pulled over by the police...cooperate. It's really that fucking simple!