PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful story

NearokA
10-09-2004, 07:30 AM
This is how I generally feel about living life. This story was told to me by a dear friend.

Can't nuthin' hold me down!

Jerry is the manager of a restaurant in South Philly.

He is always in a good mood and always has something
positive to say. When someone would ask him "how he
was doing", he would always reply,
"If I were any better, I would be twins!"

Many of the waiters at his restaurant quit their jobs
when he changed jobs, so they could follow him around
from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters
followed Jerry was because of his attitude. He was a
natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad
day, Jerry was always there, telling the employee how
to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious. So, one day,
I went up to Jerry and asked him, "I don't get it! No
one can be a positive person all the time. How do you
do it?" Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say
to myself, I have two choices today,

I can choose to be in a good mood
or I can choose to be in a bad mood.
I always choose to be in a good mood.

Each time something bad happens,
I can choose to be a victim
or I can choose to learn from it.
I always choose to learn from it.

Every time someone comes to me complaining,
I can choose to accept their complaining
or I can point out the positive side of life.
I always choose the positive side of life."

"But it's not always that easy," I protested.
"Yes, it is," Jerry said, Life is all about choices.
When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice.
You choose how you react to situations.
You choose how people will affect your mood.
You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood.
It's your choice how you live your life."

Several years later, I heard that Jerry accidentally
did something you are never supposed to do in the
restaurant business: he left the back door of his
restaurant open one morning and was robbed by three
armed men. While trying to open the safe, his hand,
shaking from nervousness slipped off the combination.
The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Jerry was
found quickly and rushed to the hospital. After 18
hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Jerry
was released from the hospital with fragments of the
bullets still in his body.

I saw Jerry about six months after the accident. When
I asked him how he was, he replied,
"If I were any better, I'd be twins. Want to see my scars?"
I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had
gone through his mind as the robbery took place.

The first thing that went through my mind was that I
should have locked the back door," Jerry replied.
"Then, after they shot me, as I lay on the floor, I
remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to
live or choose to die. I chose to live."

"Weren't you scared?" I asked. Jerry continued,
"The paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was
going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the
Emergency Room and I saw the expressions on the faces
of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In
their eyes, I read 'He's a dead man.' I knew I needed
to take action." "What did you do?" I asked. "Well,
there was a big nurse shouting questions at me," said Jerry.
"She asked if I was allergic to anything."
'Yes,' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped
working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep
breath and yelled, 'Bullets!' Over their laughter, I
told them, 'I am choosing to live. Please operate on
me as if I am alive, not dead'."

Jerry lived thanks to the skill of his doctors, but
also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from
him that every day you have the choice to either enjoy
your life or to hate it. The only thing that is truly
yours --that no one can control or take from you -- is
your attitude, so if you can take care of that,
everything else in life becomes much easier.

Glare
10-09-2004, 08:56 AM
I care.

duckula
10-09-2004, 10:18 AM
That story is wank. Get out and never darken our doors again.

CFC
10-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Cliff notes please?

deviljet88
10-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Mmm... touching. You oldies are too world-hardened to accept such a story unlike a gullible young boy like myself.

The Black Rider
10-09-2004, 02:54 PM
That was very nice. I think we can all learn from that.

frodo1511
10-09-2004, 08:48 PM
I enjoyed scrolling down to skip every word of it.

Jasper
10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
I enjoyed scrolling down to skip every word of it.
D-I-T-T-O.

Dude, try making posts that have a little less than 5000 words in them.

Richard
10-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I've never actually met or even heard of any calm people like Jerry before. You're interesting NearokA, too bad you won't be around anymore. He got banned. :icon_surp

Jacoby
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
That was a good story. I feel bad for his bannination.

frodo1511
10-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Other than the fact that he wrote LONG posts, why did he get banned?

hasselbrad
10-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Other than the fact that he wrote LONG posts, why did he get banned?

It may have had something to do with his jousting with Jules. He made a comment that I won't repeat in his signature, which vanished soon after.

frodo1511
11-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Ahh, now that clears it up, thanks hassel

Poor guy...

Renegade
11-09-2004, 04:16 AM
The story sounds so fabricated. But yeah, I guess we can all learn from it.

Elijahfan
11-09-2004, 04:34 AM

learn?!?!?!? :icon_conf okay i'm just cynical and yes so fabricated.... *feels bad*

about the banning...wow is it just me now noticing that a lot of people seem to be getting banned or are people just getting banned left and right...whichever please oh great adminstrators and whoever, continue....the trick is to not piss them off. :Hail:

EmotionSickness
11-09-2004, 05:18 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 99% of the time, the mods/admins don't ban someone unless they have just cause to. That's not to say they've never messed up (Ryan's temp-ban, anyone?), but I must say I almost always agree with their decisions (as do most of the people here, I'd think). Besides, it's usually just a one or two-day ban; I can't recall the last perma-ban that was administered (besides Haz, but that was at his behest). Anyway, enough about that.

About the story ... sounds like a load of bull to me. Very Chicken Soup For the Soul-esque, dontcha think?

Liam
11-09-2004, 03:00 PM
What the fuck?

I'll be honest and say I preferred the old system where regular mods couldn't do any banning - any bans were left to Baz or myself to sort out (and Apoggy now). Not to say that I don't trust the mods - I trust them all 100% or they would be out of work :p - I just feel that sometimes temp-bans are given out for things that Baz or myself wouldn't have given them out for.

I don't know who banned this chap or why, but I'll talk with the other admins and mods and find out. I'll unban and email him if it was undeserved, but for the moment, the ban stands.

Liam

deviljet88
12-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Wow, one of the few sane members around here and they get banned for one insult at a mod... Can't you waste your time on spammers who offer no useful contribution to this forum? Or even considering using your time to rid the countless number of people who don't even post in this forum?

Leonie
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Liam says he's working on it, kiddo, so shhh.

And to drag this back on topic - the story...

It's a tad soppy, but I do believe in optimism and all that. I don't seriously think I'd be joking while nearly dying, and I don't think you can actually stop yourself from dying by being an optimist. Having said that - here's a little true story of my own. My grandmother was dying of cancer, it had pretty much spread out all through her body, she was on morphine 24-7... Not good. She refused to die before her 83rd birthday though :) And she made it. Even though doctors didn't understand, she should have passed away long before that, she made it. Willpower. Sheer stubbornness actually. It might be a family trait :D

hasselbrad
13-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Not fabricated, rather tasteless. Don't blame her a bit.
I moderate on another board (sports related) and it would have gotten him tossed there too.

LoveKeria
21-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Wow, one of the few sane members around here and they get banned for one insult at a mod... Can't you waste your time on spammers who offer no useful contribution to this forum? Or even considering using your time to rid the countless number of people who don't even post in this forum?

Alot of mods on alot of sites feel they can just ban people for no reason. I remember one guy...seriously thought he was god...this guy on vampirechat....anyway...we'd get kicked like very ten minutes...and the reason line was 'oops, fingers sliped.' Funny...but dam annoying too.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 99% of the time, the mods/admins don't ban someone unless they have just cause to. That's not to say they've never messed up (Ryan's temp-ban, anyone?), but I must say I almost always agree with their decisions (as do most of the people here, I'd think). Besides, it's usually just a one or two-day ban; I can't recall the last perma-ban that was administered (besides Haz, but that was at his behest). Anyway, enough about that.

And he's back. Oh, and could I go out on a bigger limb and say how about we just let the mods and admins handle their own jobs, rather than telling them how to do it? Not to be rude but it's their job, and any major fuck ups will be investigated by the Admins, all three of whom (when they're not drunk) are capable of reasoning out very well whether a ban is deserved or not.

Wow, one of the few sane members around here and they get banned for one insult at a mod...

That's a damn fine reason for a ban, but knowing a little more about the situation I won't say anymore than that.

Not fabricated, rather tasteless. Don't blame her a bit.
I moderate on another board (sports related) and it would have gotten him tossed there too.

I think that was a comment about Nearoka's story being fabricated, rather than the story behind his ban being fabricated, but nevermind :)

Alot of mods on alot of sites feel they can just ban people for no reason. I remember one guy...seriously thought he was god...this guy on vampirechat....anyway...we'd get kicked like very ten minutes...and the reason line was 'oops, fingers sliped.' Funny...but dam annoying too.

Ban wasn't for no reason...but it's been reversed so err...who cares?!

BACK on topic...the story's shit, and no Nearoka, not THE shit, just shit. Like yourself. Try again please.

hasselbrad
21-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Oh no Hazzle...don't encourage him. :p

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh no Hazzle...don't encourage him. :p

It's like when you drive past a car crash and you just HAVE to look...it's like poking a stick at a dead bird...it HAS to be done.

NearokA
21-10-2004, 03:38 PM
BACK on topic...the story's shit, and no Nearoka, not THE shit, just shit. Like yourself. Try again please.

Don't hate me because I'm not as ugly as you are. :p
Again, you should go back and read the posts. You seem to be having the same trouble as bob and jasper. Please, I encourage you, if you do not know how to do critical reading, then I recommend you getting help. I reccommend Cliffy, O wait, Cliffy is about a stupid as you are. lol. Perhaps you should consult Nina, she hasn't said much, but what she says I often find meaningful.

Instead of just insulting me, why don't you tell me why the story's shit. Hm? Or is that too hard on your brain? Perhaps we'll start with something a little easy for you to digest. Let's just start with the first paragraph, that way we don't overload your memory banks. What in the first paragraph do you find troubling? Try and use quotes too, that way it's easy for me to reference what you're talking about.

You know, life isn't always about putting people down. If you knew how to post counter arguements, we both could learn from each other. I posted some extreme things in the other forum. The more extreme I was, the more discussion. You get it yet? If they were never locked, I assure you, the discussion would never stop. If I post intelligent topics, it's too much for these forumgoers, and there is never any discussion (believe me, I've tried). If you want to call me an "asshole", so be it. But I'd rather be an "asshole" and spark some discussion, rather than a "good guy," and sit there bored on my ass reading the lame topics in these forums.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Don't hate me because I'm not as ugly as you are. :p

I don't. a) You're uglier than I ever could be, even if I had a horrific car accident b) I don't hate you, it's too much effort to hate anyone, let alone you and c) I find you mildly irritating because, well, you're a cock.

As for challenging MY intelligence...harrr. Did I mention I just finished my masters degree? Critical reading...hmm...that wouldn't be what a law degree involves, would it? Try again matey...you're a prick...end of.

Mandy
21-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Instead of just insulting me, why don't you tell me why the story's shit. Hm? Or is that too hard on your brain?

He could've just said that your story sucked...but that wouldn't have been much fun, would it?

NearokA
21-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I don't. a) You're uglier than I ever could be, even if I had a horrific car accident b) I don't hate you, it's too much effort to hate anyone, let alone you and c) I find you mildly irritating because, well, you're a cock.

As for challenging MY intelligence...harrr. Did I mention I just finished my masters degree? Critical reading...hmm...that wouldn't be what a law degree involves, would it? Try again matey...you're a prick...end of.

A master's in what may I ask?

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 03:48 PM
A master's in what may I ask?

Law, but that's neither here nor there. It's funny as I SWEAR I SAID I the words "law degree" in the post you just read. Maybe YOU need to work on YOUR reading skills? Nevermind.

The fact is, I'm entitled to express a view on your story...and it's crap. I'd suggest you scroll up, follow Ducky's advice, and bugger off.

NearokA
21-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Law, but that's neither here nor there. It's funny as I SWEAR I SAID I the words "law degree" in the post you just read. Maybe YOU need to work on YOUR reading skills? Nevermind.

The fact is, I'm entitled to express a view on your story...and it's crap. I'd suggest you scroll up, follow Ducky's advice, and bugger off.

A master's in law? You must really do things differently in England...
You see, here, we just have one law degree. There is no phd in law or masters in law. And you have to do 4 years of general study (just getting a bachelor's degree), plus getting into law school. Law school is another 4-6 more years I believe. Most lawyers are nearing their 30s before they start their careers, like dentists, pharmacists, and doctors.

Unless you have a master's in paralegal or something like that. Which, is not the same as having a law degree. Try and be as specific as you can about what it is you are doing. And if you really are a lawyer, um, I'd be very afraid of you defending me in court. And no offense, but any monkey can get a masters degree. Your age, it is almost impossible to hold a law degree at so young an age. Or maybe your'e just genius. hehe.

It's like saying I'm 23, and I have a phD. While it is possible, it is highly improbable, especially judging from your behaviour. What do you mean by neither here nor there? Are you saying in some kind of general law degree? I smell something fishy here...

What school did you graduate from?

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 04:01 PM
A master's in law? You must really do things differently in England...
You see, here, we just have one law degree. There is no phd in law or masters in law. And you have to do 4 years of general study (just getting a bachelor's degree), plus getting into law school. Law school is another 4-6 more years I believe. Most lawyers are nearing their 30s before they start their careers, like dentists, pharmacists, and doctors.

Unless you have a master's in paralegal or something like that. Which, is not the same as having a law degree. And if you really are a lawyer, um, I'd be very afraid of you defending me in court. And no offense, but any monkey can get a masters degree.

What school did you graduate from?

Haha. You're so wrong. I know the system in the US too mate. You do a bachelor's degree, which can be as short as 3 years, and then 3 years in Law school (NOT the 4-6 you're talking about). It's 6 years total, the exact amount of time it takes in the UK to become a qualified lawyer.

A masters in paralegal? I have a law degree, and a masters. Mate I'm a fucking qualified NY attorney (yeah, I passed what is widely regarded as one of the hardest exams on the planet first time...even the Attorney General of New York, Elliot Spitzer I believe his name is, took 4 attempts to pass it, JFK took 3) you prick. You'd be afraid of me defending you in court? Why so, because I'd win? I've won mock court competitions with ease, been complimented by one of the best QCs in the country for my advocacy skills and topped every class I was in. Oh, and school? My masters was intercollegiate with the University of London, spanning King's College London, University College London, SOAS and Queen Mary University of London. My bachelors was from the University of London too.

Mate, professional teachers, University lecturers and the like have all called me an enigmatically brilliant student. I've surpassed any expectations, I wrote a paper in my bachelors which was so good the professor recommended I get it published in a professional journal...so kindly...fuck off.

NearokA
21-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Haha. You're so wrong. I know the system in the US too mate. You do a bachelor's degree, which can be as short as 3 years, and then 3 years in Law school (NOT the 4-6 you're talking about). It's 6 years total, the exact amount of time it takes in the UK to become a qualified lawyer.

A masters in paralegal? I have a law degree, and a masters. Mate I'm a fucking qualified NY attorney (yeah, I passed what is widely regarded as one of the hardest exams on the planet first time...even the Attorney General of New York, Elliot Spitzer I believe his name is, took 4 attempts to pass it, JFK took 3) you prick. You'd be afraid of me defending you in court? Why so, because I'd win? I've won mock court competitions with ease, been complimented by one of the best QCs in the country for my advocacy skills and topped every class I was in. Oh, and school? My masters was intercollegiate with the University of London, spanning King's College London, University College London, SOAS and Queen Mary University of London. My bachelors was from the University of London too.

Mate, professional teachers, University lecturers and the like have all called me an enigmatically brilliant student. I've surpassed any expectations, I wrote a paper in my bachelors which was so good the professor recommended I get it published in a professional journal...so kindly...fuck off.

You sound like you're full of shit. hehe. I hold 4 degrees and I'm the best scientist there is in the world. Do you believe me?

But what do I know about you? Why don't you prove it to me by posting intelligent posts. At least I know you know how to write and read...Mr paralegal man.

lol.

hasselbrad
21-10-2004, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine took 3 years for undergrad and 2 1/2 for law.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 04:08 PM
You sound like you're full of shit. hehe. I hold 4 degrees and I'm the best scientist there is in the world. Do you believe me?

But what do I know about you? Why don't you prove it to me by posting intelligent posts. At least I know you know how to write and read...Mr paralegal man.

lol.

Hahaha. I never proclaimed to be the best lawyer in the world. I do, however, hold 2 degrees, and the New York Bar. You want me to prove it to you by posting intelligent posts? How about you try and show me you're older than 5 and I'll respond in fucking kind. So I like to swear, got a problem with that?

You're a retard...you are the weakest link...goodbye. Oh...and if you like, I have proof of my qualifications, it's no trouble to send it to you, really. In the meantime...shut the fuck up about stuff you know nothing about.

Which again shows how little Nearoka knows. Oh yeah, btw Nearoka? There are thousands of people in the UK who've held law degrees since they were 21. A law degree does not allow one to practice, yet I can practice in New York, ironically enough.

The UK system is a law degree, followed by a year's professional exam (like the bar, but more practical) and 2 years in-practice training. I opted to do graduate study because I was fascinated by law and didn't WANT to practice...I did the bar because I wanted a challenge and it was widely regarded as the hardest law exam in the world. Satisfied?

hasselbrad
21-10-2004, 04:14 PM

lol.

Pot...calling...kettle...black!

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Pot...calling...kettle...black!

Quite. How about we get this back ON topic. Nearoka, in my oh so humble opinion, your story's shit. Deal with it. Maybe someone else will post how much they love it, who knows?

NearokA
21-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Hahaha. I never proclaimed to be the best lawyer in the world. I do, however, hold 2 degrees, and the New York Bar. You want me to prove it to you by posting intelligent posts? How about you try and show me you're older than 5 and I'll respond in fucking kind. So I like to swear, got a problem with that?

You're a retard...you are the weakest link...goodbye. Oh...and if you like, I have proof of my qualifications, it's no trouble to send it to you, really. In the meantime...shut the fuck up about stuff you know nothing about.

hehe. Poor paralegal man. Go get a job (if you can find one :p). Hey, you know what, I could use a secretary...And you can publish papers for me. The pay is good too, 15 $/hr. lol.

Yeah, I think I will get a job at a national lab for 5 or so years (this will be mostly during my phd dissertation). Then maybe work as management when I graduate, so I can gain some real world business experience. My plan is by 35 to hold my own independent consulting business, maybe by 40. But we'll see where life takes me.

Man, I can't wait to get that money, you know? hehe. I think you're lucky, Haz. I got too many more years left in school. But I'll be making that money! I'm keeping my eyes on the prize baby!

hm, so it really only takes 3 years? wow. I guess an MBA only takes 2 years and a phD only take 2-6 years. Hm, maybe it's just the doctors that take 8 years? lol.

I know pharmacy takes 6 years...I guess I put lawyer up too high. lol. I'll be sure to dumb it back down where it belongs. hehe. j/k. I actually plan on getting an MBA.

hasselbrad
21-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Ed was brilliant. He did this while drinking Jack Daniels by the bottle.

NearokA
21-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Ed was brilliant. He did this while drinking Jack Daniels by the bottle.

Bring Ed to seattle too, hassel. We'll drink whiskey and eat sushi and stare at all the hot honeys...lol. O, you'll have to wait until spring though. That's when the short shorts and small tops come.

I swear, why do women put on such revealing clothing if they do not wish to be treated as mere sex toys? Man, I'll just never understand them. I'll go back to pruning my trees.

Hazzle
21-10-2004, 04:31 PM
hehe. Poor paralegal man. Go get a job (if you can find one :p). Hey, you know what, I could use a secretary...And you can publish papers for me. The pay is good too, 15 $/hr. lol.

Yeah, I think I will get a job at a national lab for 5 or so years (this will be mostly during my phd dissertation). Then maybe work as management when I graduate, so I can gain some real world business experience. My plan is by 35 to hold my own independent consulting business, maybe by 40. But we'll see where life takes me.

Man, I can't wait to get that money, you know? hehe.

Yeah...you're funny. I don't need your help getting a job, I'm quite fortunate in that I have plenty of disposable income as it is and can thus take my time to decide where I want to go next. With what I have, the world is my oyster...I've had plenty of opportunities offered to me, just deciding where I want to go next.

Oh, and I've been battling with clinical depression the entire time, plus a brief fling with alcoholism. So when my professors say it's fucking incredible I've done as well as I have, what the fuck do I care what you have to say? Thanks.

Surely a man who proclaims to be as intelligent as you can STAY ON TOPIC? No? Oh well...thanks for proving yourself to be an idiot yet again. It's a shame as it sounds like you're a fond "birdwatcher", so we should have something in common...sadly I have a brain and you don't...such is life.

To try AGAIN to get it back on topic...you care to tell me why you think it's a good story?

Sarah
21-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh, Haz! I've only just realised you are back! So happy!