PDA

View Full Version : Ivan the Terrible

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
I've never been to Jamaica. Makes me wish I had, as I'm afraid there won't be much left after this...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/092038W5.gif

frodo1511
09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Well, it looks like Flordia will be hit.
(this is starting to sound like a broken record, eh?)

Louie
09-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I feel bad for you brad, two hurricanes in less than a month. It looks like my side of Florida is just going to get tropical storm winds again. These damn hurricanes are getting pretty annoying.

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Yeah. From 1965-2003 one major hurricane (Andrew) hit the state of Florida. We are looking at three in roughly a month. This motherfucker may trump them all.

Louie
09-09-2004, 09:55 PM
But isn't it supposed to go down to a category 4 after it hits Cuba? Either way, this is one big ass 'cane.

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Yeah. It's projected to be a Cat 3 by the time it's due west of Tampa. Who knows?

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Jesus, I hope you're okay. Three hurricanes in a month, my God.

frodo1511
09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
It's supposed to weaken after going through Cuba, but in between Cuba and Flordia, it's supposed to strengthen back up again:(

Louie, hassel: Any property damage yet?

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Tampa's dodged the major damage, but I fear our luck may be running out.
On the bright side, all of this hurricane hype, combined with the idiotic apathy shown by a few in letters to the editor, have planted the seeds for one of the 5 screenplays I have in the air. I'm a half full kind of guy. :)

Dyce_Blue
09-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Just pray that this one doesn't squeeze into the Gulf of Mexico to the west... If so, its on a one-way course to my front door (which it will promptly destroy because it is made of glass). The last major storm we had here was Allison, which flooded every part of Houston. I-10 was filled with 20 feet of water, and trucks were bobbing around the top. It was only after the water dissipated that people noticed the hundreds of cars that hadn't been floating...

Is anyone else here a Marlins fan? I've loved the Marlins since mid-last season, and I hope they beat the Astros out for the wild card. If Ivan rips up the south, the playoffs could really be postponed for awhile.

Narg
10-09-2004, 12:30 AM
I consider myself quite lucky, Australia dosnt have these natural occuring disasters, only thing weve had is an earth quake, like 12 years ago :/.

MeggieHoops
10-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah NY gets off pretty easy. We don't get scary natural disasters up here much. The last big thing was a tropical storm Floyd like 5 years ago, but I didn't live here then.

Jacoby
10-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah NY gets off pretty easy. We don't get scary natural disasters up here much. The last big thing was a tropical storm Floyd like 5 years ago, but I didn't live here then.

You were in NY 5 years ago? Why not Cali., I thought you were a Cali girl?

I feel really terrible for the Flordinians, God be with 'em.

Kelsey
10-09-2004, 06:02 AM
All this flood news reminds me that California is due for a major earthquake here pretty soon.

Good luck to those of you in Florida...I've been tuning in to the weather channel for a few minutes every day to see how y'all are doing.

Liam
10-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I consider myself quite lucky, Australia dosnt have these natural occuring disasters, only thing weve had is an earth quake, like 12 years ago :/.

Maitland is a naturally occurring disaster :p

That little tremble doesnt deserve to be called an earthquake. It was more like the earth having a stretch. We *do* however get the worst bushfires in the world, something which I have seen up close a number of times. When you feel the hairs on your legs start to burn away, its time to get moving.

Naturally, I'm thinking about anyone in the path of this storm. Its a big fucker alright.

Narg
10-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Well, i consider it an earthquake because i was in that shopping centre that fell down, its like my earliest childhood memory, and maitland isnt a natural disaster! :P, some parts of the hunter valley are... but not maitland.. specially East Maitland. EASTSIDE.

Sarah
10-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Times like this, I REALLY love England.

Isn't this your third hurricane in one month? All I can say is. Unlucky.

Liam
10-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, i consider it an earthquake because i was in that shopping centre that fell down, its like my earliest childhood memory, and maitland isnt a natural disaster! :P, some parts of the hunter valley are... but not maitland.. specially East Maitland. EASTSIDE.

I've never been to East Maitland, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The reason I've never had the pleasure of seeing East Maitland is that I was rudely awoken by a yobbo with a shotgun firing at my train as I went through Beresfield.

Beresfield truly is the worst place in Australia.

hasselbrad
10-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Times like this, I REALLY love England.

Isn't this your third hurricane in one month? All I can say is. Unlucky.

Check back with me in December when it's 72 degrees and not a cloud in the sky...that is, of course, if there is anything left. :rolleyes:

Sarah
10-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Check back with me in December when it's 72 degrees and not a cloud in the sky

Are you saying that as though it is a good thing?

hasselbrad
10-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Are you saying that as though it is a good thing?

It is if you like to play golf.
Makes getting into the Christmas spirit tough, though.
The furthest north I've ever lived was Atlanta, GA. and I got my fill of scraping ice off my car for good. :)

frodo1511
10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=hasselbrad]It is if you like to play golf.
QUOTE]

So true hassel. That's the main reason why I try to go to Flordia every winter. Considering that Missouri will be under a foot of snow by that time, a round wouldn't be too bad:)

hasselbrad
10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I wish I had the distributorship for plywood or Tapcon screws. I went to Home Depot earlier...there ain't a concrete anchor to be had.

Jasper
11-09-2004, 01:30 AM
I wish I had the distributorship for plywood or Tapcon screws. I went to Home Depot earlier...there ain't a concrete anchor to be had.

Heh, those are things we have no shortage of in my house. My dad is a general contractor, sooo... we have hell of Tapcons, plywood, etc.\

Oh yeah, and Ivan is going to be a pussy.

Louie
11-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Well I guess the only positive things that have come from these hurricanes have been that each time one of them hit, I get three days off of school. :)

ChocolateMoose
11-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Well apparently (according to The Times today) the recent weather - 3 hurricanes in Florida, floods in Bangladesh and the UK, fires in some American states etc - is a glimpse of what the weather is going to be like in a couple of years time when Global Warming is in full swing... anyone seen 'The Day After Tomorrow'? That could happen in the future at the rate we're going. Its scary. Someone they interviewed in the paper asked why people are so scared of terror attacks when theres huge weather events looming right around the corner, which will affect everyone, and we (i.e. the world's population...mainly America (as they haven't signed some documents about reducing it or something... :icon_redf)) don't seem to be that concerned about it. And I agree.

frodo1511
11-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Yes, I saw the DAT, but that is semi-true. The world goes into an "Ice Age" every 20k years of so, but DAT made that happen in 2 weeks or so. Our planet is indeed heading into that direction, but it won't happen for A LONG TIME.

Like, after we die long time:P

ChocolateMoose
12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Yes, I saw the DAT, but that is semi-true. The world goes into an "Ice Age" every 20k years of so, but DAT made that happen in 2 weeks or so. Our planet is indeed heading into that direction, but it won't happen for A LONG TIME.

Ooh yeah, I know that. TDAT has the most ridiculous time scales I have ever seen in a movie - "there will be floods in 1000's of years if we continue...blah blah blah" [cut to grapefruit sized hail stones in Japan and tsunami's in New York] - lol! Its just that that could happen in a VERY VERY long time and not suddenly like that, it'll just get worse and worse and build up to things like in TDAT. Someday, maybe.

CFC
12-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Here is a good picture of Ivan.

56k Don't Bother (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/images/ivan091104-1945z.jpg)

duckula
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Cool pic.

Sarah
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Wow. What a beast! Its our own fault he's alive... so we shouldn't complain.

Jacoby
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Wow. What a beast! Its our own fault he's alive... so we shouldn't complain.

I don't know, if that thing ripped all my property from the ground..I think I'd have the right to complain. It must be odd having something as treacherous as Ivan named after you.

frodo1511
13-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Good news for Flordia: It appears Ivan will move off into the Gulf of Mexico, and spare the state. But, that means that residents in Alabama and Mississippi are now in it's way:(

Jacoby
13-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Horray for Flordia! :P

Louie
13-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Damn, the hurricane's not hitting. That means I am going to have school this week, shucks.

frodo1511
13-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Better to have school and not a house:P

Louie, I still think that you'll get some decent rain and wind, considering that the storm's almost as big as the gulf is.

acliff
13-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Considering we can feel the secondary effects of the storm thousands of miles away in England, annoyingly windy, gusty, horrible and wet, I can only begin to understand how crazy it must be over there.

hasselbrad
13-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Considering we can feel the secondary effects of the storm thousands of miles away in England, annoyingly windy, gusty, horrible and wet, I can only begin to understand how crazy it must be over there.

I don't know what's crazier...the actual weather of the storm or the hysteria that has gripped this area for weeks. We've pretty much been on high alert for a month and a half.

PhoeniX
16-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Good news for Flordia: It appears Ivan will move off into the Gulf of Mexico, and spare the state. But, that means that residents in Alabama and Mississippi are now in it's way:(

Bad news for Florida theres another one on the way.. I think called Jane I think

hasselbrad
16-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Jeanne. Hopefully this bitch won't get a chance to strengthen. They're predicting that she's going to go right up the east coast of Florida. They haven't gotten much right this hurricane season, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Sarah
16-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Another... Thats about 5 now isn't it? And then you have Carl and then Lisa.

You poor shits.

hasselbrad
16-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I've lost count. My beloved University of Alabama is getting pounded by Ivan right now. I was just checking the Bama site I mod on and a kid posted that there were two or three trees down outside his apartment. The entire Southeastern U.S. is getting brutalized.
I'm just thankful it went in East of New Orleans...as are every other drunk. NO is below sea level and would have been absolutely fucked if it had hit or gone in West of the city. Too many good memories of New Orleans to not cry if that happened.

frodo1511
16-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Well, with the coming of Autum, Jeanne shouldn't be too terribly strong, but I dunno...

Dyce_Blue
23-09-2004, 02:42 PM
That damn Ivan won't quit.

It went off the coast of Carolina and looped across Florida.

Now that fucker is sitting in my backyard gathering windspeed.

Unfortunately, a high pressure system from central Texas (thanks a lot Spire) will keep the storm in the gulf, where it will continue to grow and maybe become a hurricane again.

Has anyone seen "The Perfect Storm"?

The sequel is about to happen in Houston.

frodo1511
23-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Well dyce, it's supposed to be not as strong as Ivan ver. 1.0, packing winds of only 65 MPH. Compare that to Ivan's 140 at full strength, and this is a kitty cat. With sharp claws.

And pointy teeth...

hasselbrad
23-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Well dyce, it's supposed to be not as strong as Ivan ver. 1.0, packing winds of only 65 MPH. Compare that to Ivan's 140 at full strength, and this is a kitty cat. With sharp claws.

And pointy teeth...

On his way to shit in your litterbox. :)

Dyce_Blue
24-09-2004, 12:00 AM
On his way to shit in your litterbox. :)

...but then where will I go to the bathroom?

frodo1511
24-09-2004, 12:02 AM
...but then where will I go to the bathroom?

On one of the trees that's not uprooted.

Jasper
24-09-2004, 12:11 AM
On one of the trees that's not uprooted.

Good luck finding one of those. ;)

Louie
24-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I heard another hurricane is supposed to hit here. 'Tis the truth?

Louie
25-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Damnit, Hurricane Jeanne is supposed to hit here sometime tonight :mad: . Wish me luck!

Dyce_Blue
25-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Ivan dissipated into the atmosphere. It couldn't handle Houston smog.

It rained this morning, but thats about it. The high tide flooded the streets along the coast, but that is the extent of the damage.

Sorry about Jeanne Louie. But just be glad that big monster Karl isn't headed your way. That thing is bigger than Alaska...

frodo1511
25-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, Karl looks to be one crazy-ass bitch. Hope nothing bad happends to you, Louie. Once again, the community at KKW wish you the best of luck.

Jacoby
25-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Once again, the community at KKW wish you the best of luck.

Yeah, good luck Louie.

PhoeniX
25-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Damnit, Hurricane Jeanne is supposed to hit here sometime tonight :mad: . Wish me luck!

Good Luck

Louie
26-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Ah I didn't get the strong part. Again. All of these hurricanes that have hit here have ended up going north of me and I just get the weak part, only like 80 or 90 mph winds.

Jacoby
26-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Ah I didn't get the strong part. Again. All of these hurricanes that have hit here have ended up going north of me and I just get the weak part, only like 80 or 90 mph winds.

Wow, that sucks for the people North of you.

johnnyboy
26-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Have a look at it this way, Florida must be pretty clean by now

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Just hope Disneyworld is still standing after 4 hurricanes this summer.

Louie
26-09-2004, 10:44 PM
It's DisneyWorld, DisneyLand is in California. It looks horrible......all the flowers and all the landscaping there is ruined now.

frodo1511
26-09-2004, 11:10 PM
It's DisneyWorld,

That's why I said it in the first place.

Louie
26-09-2004, 11:44 PM
What the hell? I must have misread it. I could have sworn that said DisneyLand. :icon_conf

frodo1511
27-09-2004, 12:43 AM
No hard feelings, louie. Chiefs fans misread crap all the time:P

Jasper
27-09-2004, 02:56 AM
Have a look at it this way, Florida must be pretty clean by now

Yeah its clean, except for all the roof shingles... house debris... and tree/tree branches all over the place.