PDA

View Full Version : Best films of 2003

The Black Rider
08-09-2004, 03:55 PM
I love making lists so here's my list of films released in America last year. Feel free to post your own lists or debate my choices or someone else's.

10. The Magdalene Sisters, dir. Peter Mullan
09. In America, dir. Jim Sheridan
08. The Barbarian Invasions, dir. Denys Arcand
07. Irréversible, dir. Gaspar Noé
06. The Man Without a Past, dir. Aki Kaurismäki
05. Russian Ark, dir. Aleksandr Sokurov
04. Elephant, dir. Gus van Sant
03. 21 Grams, dir. Alejandro González Iñárritu
02. The Triplets of Belleville, dir. Sylvian Chomet
01. City of God, dir. Fernando Meirelles

Stormbringer
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
You've got a nice list there. I really liked "Russian Ark" a lot-Hard to believe that the entire film was shot in one continuous take. Content wise, it is an acquired taste I suppose, but I did appreciate the film's style. I also liked "Irreversible" to a certain degree and it has one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen.

hasselbrad
08-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I think you should change your name to Phantom of the Art House Cinema.
I have heard of exactly four films on your list. Seen exactly zero.

duckula
08-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey hey kids, it's amateur snob hour on kkw.

The Black Rider
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
*takes a bow*

Stormbringer, if you liked Irréversible, I'd recommend a second viewing, because when I saw it a second time, I was able to better focus on its themes and was able to appreciate it a lot more.

Jasper
08-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I saw In America... I thought it was good.

Havent seen any of the others, nor have I heard of most of them...

Richard
08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
The Matrix Reloaded
Bad Santa
Kill Bill Vol. 1

No taste. But that's what I think.

Spire
08-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Return of the King

The Black Rider
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
The Matrix Reloaded
Bad Santa
Kill Bill Vol. 1

No taste. But that's what I think.

That's not true. I hated Reloaded but Bad Santa is a very funny film, and although I don't care much for Tarantino, Kill Bill was certainly a lot of fun, partly because I love martial arts films. And I can at least understand why people would like Reloaded, even though I didn't.

frodo1511
08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
How original:
Reloaded (Revolutions blew it entirely)
Return of the King (favorite movie of all time)
PotC (obvious reasons...
for the pirates:P)
Terminator 3 (only role Arnold was born to play)

Dyce_Blue
08-09-2004, 11:41 PM
If you are looking for original, here is how my Yahoo!movies lists them...

1. X-2
2. Bad Boys II
3. Terminator III
4. The Italian Job
5. Matchstick Men

:dontknowa

I'm crying right now
:icon_mecr

frodo1511
08-09-2004, 11:48 PM
2. Bad Boys II

Shit, I forgot about BBII, that was my OTHER Bruckheimer film I liked last year...

Richard
09-09-2004, 01:54 AM
2. Bad Boys II
3. Terminator III

I hated T3. There was no reason to even make a sequel. I'd say if you can't get Edward Furlong back or Linda Hamilton, don't even consider it. Though Arnold did make a comeback, he didn't impress anyone reprising his role. Oh, and no James Cameron... some people often say it's all about money with him... I don't care, he makes great if not groundbreaking films.

I just recently saw Bad Boys II, and I thought it was ok. I could see why some if not many fans were disappointed, because it was hardly the same as the original. My reasons (as stupid as they are) are this; 1. They didn't have the original theme, which just kicked ass for me the first time around. 2. Too much irritating camera work, though quite cool at times, some or most for that part, just weren't needed. Stupid, huh? :icon_redf

Just thought I'd mention. Funny movie though.

frodo1511
09-09-2004, 01:58 AM
Funny movie though.

Funniest movie I saw last summer, at least. Especially with the parts in the Electronics store...Priceless.

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I actually liked Terminator 3. I saw it with some friends for a birthday party. It was incredibly stupid, and as you said there was no point to making it, but that was part of the fun in it for me.

Also, it was the only movie I've ever seen in theaters in which a few of my friends started talking and nobody cared. So that was enjoyable.

I haven't seen Bad Boys II yet because it was directed by Michael Bay, and I refuse to see any of his movies because he is without a doubt the worst director who ever lived. I don't care much for Jerry Bruckheimer either, but the combination of the two is like watching Satan and Mephisto take cinematic form.

Richard
09-09-2004, 02:07 AM
I haven't seen Bad Boys II yet because it was directed by Michael Bay, and I refuse to see any of his movies because he is without a doubt the worst director who ever lived. I don't care much for Jerry Bruckheimer either, but the combination of the two is like watching Satan and Mephisto take cinematic form.

With the exception of The Rock, right? That's his only that's worthy of being watched.

You hated The Rock, didn't you? :(

Dyce_Blue
09-09-2004, 02:09 AM
There is a reason that those movies are on my list, I truly like them (I have X2 and BBII on DVD). I'm glad no one has an objection with X2, because that movie was awesome...

About T3, I was really disappointed when they didn't get Ed Furlong back. I'm a really big fan of his. I have seen most of his movies:

T2
Detroit Rock City
Pecker
Brainscan - (His most natural role. It was tailor-made for him.)
Pet Sematary II
Animal Factory

I just haven't seen American History X

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 02:12 AM
With the exception of The Rock, right? That's his only that's worthy of being watched.

You hated The Rock, didn't you? :(

Actually, I haven't seen The Rock. Armageddon and Pearl Harbor were bad enough for me. But I might see it eventually because it is supposed to be decent.

Oh, and don't see American History X. It's garbage.

Dyce_Blue
09-09-2004, 02:18 AM
"The Rock" is one of the most watchable movies that Nick Cage is in. It's pretty good. The other two, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor, were the sappiest crap I've ever seen.

Everyone says American History X is good, but I'm still not sure I'll see it. The subject matter doesn't quite suit my fancy.

CFC
09-09-2004, 02:22 AM
American History X is a great movie. You must see it.

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Most anti-racism films don't do much for me because they're all intrinsically the same, but American History X is one of the worst. Norton is great, as always, but everything is so unnecessarily stylized that I actually kind of liked the skinheads. It was shallow, ridiculous, overly sentimental tripe. See La Haine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/) instead.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one's posted Mystic River yet. Every time I do this on another forum, that one always comes up.

Renegade
09-09-2004, 02:39 AM
American History X is a great movie. You must see it.

Cool, I didn't know this film was released in 03. I saw it awhile ago and was impressed. Norton was excellent as 'the bad guy turned good guy'. Furlong was kinda weird. Looked a little too young for the role, but whatever. Great film.

mufiman
09-09-2004, 04:23 AM
Cool, I didn't know this film was released in 03. I saw it awhile ago and was impressed. Norton was excellent as 'the bad guy turned good guy'. Furlong was kinda weird. Looked a little too young for the role, but whatever. Great film.

it was released in 98.
back on topic. these were the movies i enjoyed most in 2003.
10-Kill Bill Vol.1
9-Matchstick Men
8-Bend It Like Beckham
7-The Last Samurai
6-ROTK
5-POTC
4-Identity
3-Mystic River
2-Bad Santa
1-X-men 2

michael bay blows, as do all of his movies.

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Most anti-racism films don't do much for me because they're all intrinsically the same, but American History X is one of the worst. Norton is great, as always, but everything is so unnecessarily stylized that I actually kind of liked the skinheads. It was shallow, ridiculous, overly sentimental tripe. See La Haine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/) instead.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one's posted Mystic River yet. Every time I do this on another forum, that one always comes up.

I didn't really care for Mystic River, mostly because I thought Sean Penn was too far over the top. Tim Robbins, for whom I have little respect for personally after his blubbering about being nixed at Cooperstown, should have gotten an Oscar. Penn, as I think he did in I Am Sam, overacted. Every time I saw him on screen, I thought acting, whereas I bought Tim Robbins.
I liked Monster, and even though a lot of people said Theron overacted, she nailed Eileen Wuornos (sp?). I saw a lot of that woman on the news at the time, and Charlize knocked that role out of the park.

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Robbins did get an Oscar. They both did.

I don't see how Sean Penn could possibly overact a part like that. His daughter was murdered. I thought his emotions were totally believable. The only thing I didn't like about Mystic River was the screenplay. I could see where Lehane was going with it, but the dialogue just didn't work. But I thought Eastwood's direction was underrated, and although it's not exactly a great film, it kept me interested for most of it.