PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else hate Garden State?

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Every time I bring this movie up to anyone, that person seems to love it. I thought, however, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Style for the sake of style, one-dimensional characters, and a story we've seen way too many times before. I have liked recent movies that dealt with similar themes akin to Garden State; certainly Lost in Translation was decent and Buffalo '66, with an initial premise almost identical to Garden State (protagonist returning to hometown; reconnecting with soul) was infinitely better and, with all its bravado, genuinely beautiful.

I also feel that if artists have to resort to crude sex jokes to keep the audience awake and paying attention that they are merely disguising their own inadequacies as artists. I liked Natalie Portman, and Method Man's cameo made me laugh out loud, but otherwise I thought it was superficial, unoriginal and an example of why cinema is going downhill as of late.

Am I alone here?

Jacoby
06-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Am I alone here?

Yes, very alone. Especially on these boards. I loved Garden State.

Elijahfan
06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
yes, you're the only one i've met who didnt like it...i didnt Lost in Translation so you're even farther too. haha and you're stuck in new jersey...

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Ugh, don't remind me. One thing this film succeeded in was portraying the creeps of this state with 100% accuracy.

Although I thought it was very overrated (and totally unoriginal), I could at least connect with the characters of Lost in Translation. The characters of Garden State didn't even have a functioning outlet.

Josher
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
I loved Garden State thankyou very much.

Kelsey
06-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Garden State was awesome....all there is to it.

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Garden State was greatness... shoot yourself.

Jacoby
06-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Garden State was greatness... shoot yourself.

The Black Rider knows most about movies out of all of us, I'd say. Maybe he's seen way better movies that we've never heard about...I'd take his word over others. Don't shoot yourself, TBR. I still stand on loving Garden State, though.

Narzys
06-09-2004, 08:44 PM
I haven't seen it yet here in the Netherlands, but I saw a few clips (one of it was "... Unique noise") I liked the clips, so I don't know. But I will take your comments with me! :)

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 09:00 PM
The Black Rider knows most about movies out of all of us, I'd say. Maybe he's seen way better movies that we've never heard about...I'd take his word over others. Don't shoot yourself, TBR. I still stand on loving Garden State, though.

That's very kind of you, but I'm still learning myself.

Anyway, if I'm supposed to shoot myself for not liking Garden State, there's definitely something not right in the brains department. :D

Spire
06-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Erp, I finally saw it. It wasn't a complete mess like you say, it was just boring. I didn't laugh once, it wasn't thought-provoking, and nothing was that original. Natalie was pretty cute in it though, but the movie felt like a lot of fluff without anything to really chew on. Admittingly, I'm not a big fan of comedies, I get my laughs in real life, not from some poorly-developed character getting into not-so-whacky hijinx. I'll add it to my list of comedies everyone loved, but I found boring. In fact, I find really bad films (like Turkish Star Wars) a lot more funny than any comedy. The original animated Lord of the Rings films, for example, had me crying with laughter.

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I never said it was a mess, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

slimgopey
06-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I didn't like the film either. I thought the biggest reason was that it just wasn't funny, and it recieved much of the same hype that Lost in Translation recieved. And it just didn't live up to that hype.

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 10:49 PM
sorry for jumping the gun a little early, Rider (no pun intended). If there is one thing you will ever know about me, it's that I jump to conclusions a little quickly. I still think Garden State was great, though.

IeatDogs
06-09-2004, 11:18 PM
If you didn't like Garden State you must have down syndrome because it's only the greatest film EVER. Why don't you make fun of Norah Jones and Cold Play while you're at it. You obviously just don't understand anything about movies or life and should be put to death via firing squad. Actually I'm just kiddding I thought it was rather average as well.

NearokA
06-09-2004, 11:22 PM
uh, not to be rude here, but wtf is garden state? lol.

So, erm, to save me seven bucks, why doesn't someone post a summary of what garden state is, and what it's about.

If I weren't so damn lazy, I'd just look it up on the internet. Fortunately, I am.

And dude, Norah Jones cannot play blues as good as BB King and John Lee Hooker. She doesn't have the soul needed for that stuff. She should just stick to pop, like all the others.

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Garden State is only one of the best movies of this summer, Starring Zach Braff and Natalie Portman. Ask Jacoby for the summary.

CFC
06-09-2004, 11:45 PM
I never got around to seeing it. I saw a preview or two but nothing I saw made me want to see it.

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 11:47 PM
sorry for jumping the gun a little early, Rider (no pun intended). If there is one thing you will ever know about me, it's that I jump to conclusions a little quickly. I still think Garden State was great, though.

That's alright. I knew you weren't serious.

Narg
06-09-2004, 11:51 PM
I dont think its out, or ever coming out in Australia, Ill see it one day :/. If anything its good for a bit of Natalie Portman.

hasselbrad
08-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I thought it captured the mood-altered state of the world quite crisply.
I was disappointed that they didn't let us know which exit it took place at, though.

The Black Rider
08-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I disagree, just playing indie music and incorporating good cinematography is useless unless you can feel the filmmaker's passion and artistry for the mise en scène, which is something Braff has no talent for whatsoever.

Also, I was thinking about it a little bit today and I remembered something that really got to me when I saw it. Look at the attitudes these people have for life and society. They're all cynical, self-indulgent jack-asses (esp. Mark). It's one thing to have characters distraught with their lives, but having them just constantly complaining and being quirky for the sake of quirkiness is completely different, which is part of the reason why I found it so insulting. It was all just negativity from start to finish.

And we're all supposed to empathize with Mark's character because of "how much he loves his friend." He does drugs and rips people off. I don't care how much he loves his friend, he's a creep and I couldn't care less about anything he does.

Renegade
19-09-2004, 01:37 AM
*Bumpity bump bump*

Yep, I finally saw Garden State *tumbleweed sweeps by as crickets chirp in the background*. The story may have not been original, but it's the way Braff executes it that makes it enjoyable (well atleast for me). I could relate to Braff's character in certain situations, which is why I like this film alot. The comedy wasn't laugh-out-loud hilarious but it was enough to keep a smile on my face :) throughout most of the movie, which is what I wanted and expected.

ryan
19-09-2004, 02:27 AM
i liked it.
nothing spectacular, but i liked it.
natalies performance was pretty good, i think.

Elijahfan
19-09-2004, 03:03 AM
I disagree, just playing indie music and incorporating good cinematography is useless unless you can feel the filmmaker's passion and artistry for the mise en scène, which is something Braff has no talent for whatsoever.

And we're all supposed to empathize with Mark's character because of "how much he loves his friend." He does drugs and rips people off. I don't care how much he loves his friend, he's a creep and I couldn't care less about anything he does.

okay, yes i agree with the music and cinemotography part. i really like it for that, the two trailers just sucked me in.

i liked the character's "quirkiness" as you but it, i mean lost in translation had that somewhat, but i just wasnt feeling it. as for the mark character, yes he was an ass but i think i'd act like that if i cared less about life. i think my liking of the actors overshadowed the characters for me, like mark is played by peter sarsgaard, and he was very good in shattered glass.

on another note, when i think about the film and new jersey, it reminds me of a shirt my brother has. it says "girls arent trash, trash gets picked up" lol

The Black Rider
19-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Peter Sarsgaard is a good actor, I agree. I quite liked his performance in Shattered Glass.

In fact, I liked all the performances in it except for Braff. I just didn't think he was that good, and he looks exactly like Ray Romano, so that didn't help. And Ian Holm, while a talented actor, is extremely overused. I'd like to see some films that don't feature Holm in its cast; or Judi Dench for that matter.

But, if anything, I can give props to Natalie Portman. She's probably the one factor that kept me from asking for my money back.

Liam
20-09-2004, 10:44 AM
I havent seen it, but if it makes you feel better, I think its shite.

Boyscout
25-09-2004, 04:29 AM
Could anyone tell me when it's gonna be the DVD coming out?Cuz I don't think it will be released in China~~~~

Jacoby
25-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Could anyone tell me when it's gonna be the DVD coming out?Cuz I don't think it will be released in China~~~~

My guess is March at the earliest. It's not yet in theatres in the UK..so, it's going to take a while. :(

Margo Channing
28-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I liked it. I found it funny and and it's eagerness endearing. I think Natalie Portman and Peter Saarsgard were excellent in their roles but I didn't like Zach Braff too much. There were a few places where it dragged but it really kept my interest. It had a ethereal, dreamy mood to it that I enjoyed.

I heard alot of people compare it to LiT and I'd have to disagree. I disliked LiT. It seemed too smug and I couldnt connect with any of the characters, especially Charlotte. She was a little too whiny and a bit smug. I didn't really laugh at any of the "funny" parts. All in all I didn't enjoy LiT and I don't get the hype around it so I was pleasantly surprised when GS was actually a pretty different movie.

The Black Rider
28-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, here's the thing. Lost in Translation had well developed characters who we don't often see. They used little to no profanity, they couldn't be placed into any kind of stereotype, they were believable and they were interesting. I personally didn't see them as smug, whereas the characters in Garden State were nothing but smug (except for Portman), but I went into more detail about that earlier. "They were cynical, self-indulgent jack-asses." They were. In Lost in Translation, they weren't just flipping off the rest of the world for two hours, although I will agree that that film was overrated. I still liked it, though.

Margo Channing
29-09-2004, 07:35 AM
"They were cynical, self-indulgent jack-asses."

Well, I got that from Mark. I live in a college town and there are alot of kids here who don't/didn't go to college and a great deal of them remind me of Mark. Alot of slackers tend to be that way, though certainly not all of them.

I couldn't get behind any of the characters in Lost in Translation. Charlotte laughing at Kelly for choosing the name Evelyn Waugh. It's like it never even occured to her that Kelly did in fact know that Evelyn Waugh was a man. In fact, seeing as he isn't exactly a legend there's probably a very good chance that Kelly knew. Something about that really bothered me. The movie's treatement of the Japanese really bothered my mom, she's been to Japan a few times. I kinda felt for Bob, but not much.

I don't know. Different strokes and all that...

hasselbrad
29-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Mark lives with his mother...and smokes pot with his mother.
Large has been on some sort of medication for depression since he was 9.
I think the characters are pretty good representations of the medicated population we've become. I doubt there's anyone on this board who doesn't know someone on some sort of mood-altering drug. Zoloft, Prozac, Ritilan, etc.
I think this is what Braff was speaking to.

The Black Rider
29-09-2004, 11:42 PM
If that's the case, then he probably should've taken a much less sentimental approach. I agree that he does touch upon that, but he seemed to deal much more with the superficial aspect of the story, hence making it stupid.