PDA

View Full Version : Lions, Tigers, Bears OH MY!!!

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 02:20 AM
with my insanely creepy pic of the camel spider that is in Leonie's thread about the hurricane in Flordia(don't ask me how it got there), I've decided to ask my fellow KKW'rs a simple question: What is the scariest animal alive?

I've got three:
1. the Great White Shark: villan in Jaws, made people stay out of the water for years, can grow to 25 feet long and weigh 2 1/2 tons, most dangerous fish known to man. Need I say more?

2. Austrialian Funnel Web Spider: the size of a small plate, the most poisonous spider known in existance has inch-long fangs, and a tempor when backed into a corner, not to mention venom that can kill in a couple hours.

3. Box Jellyfish: the most dangerous jelly know to humans, this creature drifts in the current, stinging anything that gets in it's way, be it fish or swimmer. It's sting hurts like a bitch, and it's sting/venom combo is know to kill in under an hour.

Notice how all my choices are from Australia? Sucks to be Narg:P

NearokA
06-09-2004, 02:55 AM
Jelly fish? Please. I eat jelly fish in my sushi. lol.

Sharks? Ha! The trouble is, once you get out of the water, wtf is he going to do??

Spiders? They just little things. Poisonous? Yes. Dangerous? Maybe. But they're so little. I could squash one with my shoes...

Now what's scary? A big black angry bear. No explaination needed. And don't even say lion. Chances are, the closest any of us ever been to a lion is at a zoo. Big angry black bears happily roam throughout the forests of the US and can be seen ocassionally grazing on a tourist or two.

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Right... w/e bears are happy little creatures that wouldn't hurt anybody. Remember the teddy bear?:P

Kelsey
06-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Tuna (*chills*)

That's it, that's the whole list. My biggest fear, right before abandonment.

deviljet88
06-09-2004, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen any dangerous animals around my area, besides those really big drooling dogs...

Glare
06-09-2004, 09:57 AM
I would have to say:

Polar Bear, Lion, then Great White.

http://beta.serverseed.com/~glare/kkw/lion-hyena-war.wmv

This clip was taken from a documentry, its a few minutes long, weighs in at about 8MB, watch it all, the last 20 seconds you will understand why a lion is king of the jungle. Although, a Polar Bear VS a lion would be instresting, even though the Polar Bear is a good twice the size.

duckula
06-09-2004, 10:59 AM
People.

Elijahfan
06-09-2004, 12:45 PM
People.

lol...so true. i'll add on stupid people. in crowds they can get pretty freaky.

Liam
06-09-2004, 01:45 PM
2. Austrialian Funnel Web Spider: the size of a small plate, the most poisonous spider known in existance has inch-long fangs, and a tempor when backed into a corner, not to mention venom that can kill in a couple hours.
Notice how all my choices are from Australia? Sucks to be Narg:P

I feel the need to make a few corrections. :)

The male Sydney funnel web (the male is 6 times more venomous than the female, but a little smaller) isn't a large spider - typically its about 4-5 centimetres across its leg span. The female is a tad larger (about 6-7 cm) and has a much fatter arse. I should know, I see plenty. Back home I fish one or two a week out of my pool. Worryingly they can survive underwater for quite some time and they are usually fairly stroppy when I chase them out of the net.
The fangs are not an inch long. They are between 6-7mm long on male spiders, but the spider can't bite in the traditional 'cop this, I'm pinching your arse with my fangs' manner. It must stand up on its rear legs and strike down, giving the impression that the fangs are larger than they really are. Its possible to hold a funnel web spider down with your thumb and make it impossible to bite you, but you know as well as I do that that would be a fucking stupid thing to do.
Another misconception is that the bite can kill in half an hour. It can kill a newborn baby in half an hour, but it will take 3-4 to kill a healthy adult.
I've had some close calls with funnel webs - my mate and I used to stir them up for fun - and I've spent a lot of time researching them.

Finally - its not the most venomous spider in the world - that honour belongs to the Brazilian Wandering Spider - but it *is* the most dangerous. The funnel web comes into contact with humans much more often than the wandering spider, and bites are far more common. Even so, only 13 people have died from funnel web bites since 1953.

*end spider lesson*

On topic: I dont fear animals, I have a bokken.

CFC
06-09-2004, 02:40 PM
http://www.usask.ca/communications/ocn/03-oct-17/images/grizzly.jpg

Jasper
06-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I would have to say that I'm a big giant pussy when it comes to spiders. I don't care if its venomous or not. Keep those things away from me.

Narg
06-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Never seen a funnel web, a great white or a box jelly... not in real life anyways lol, so their in my country, big deal, im more afraid of steve irwin - that guys a fuckwitt. Anyway a animal that scares me.. hmm, could never be a shark, you loose all fear of them once you scuba dive with them, spiders... hmm as i said, never seen a decent sized one so they dont worry me. I dont surf, so jelly fish dont worry me. I can only think of two occasions wen i was really scared of a animal, once when i was about 6, a dog chased me, thought i was playing, jumped on me and was nibbling me standing on me etc, i can remember being very afraid and crying etc, and when i was about 14 building a cuby house with some mates in the bush, a red belly black snake was like, right near us.. but its head got cut off with a shuvel pretty quick, close but.. meh.

the scariest animal alive would be man. We can be pretty fucked up, next would have to be a wild boar / feral pig, fucking huge, stinky, fast, the sound they make is freaky, and ive seen one take three 303 bullets and still be able to run at you, they dont go down easy.

http://www.simpsontaxidermy.com/gh7-boar.jpg

http://www.nail-ranch.com/hunts/images/boar_bottom.jpg

http://www.wildlife-art.co.uk/new_site/graphics/mammals/wild_boar.jpg

NearokA
06-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Liam! We got something in common! I've been training in the arts of kendo and kenjutsu for 5 years now.

I say, A big black bear >>> bokken

Let's put it this way, if it takes multiple rifle shots to bring down a bear, I don't know what you're going to do with a wooden sword.

You might find yourself on equal footing should you have a samurai sword instead, preferably sharpened.

duckula
06-09-2004, 04:49 PM
That's not so much of an even footing as it is you being bear breakfast.

Richard
06-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Without a doubt, Crocodiles. Then Sharks.

EmotionSickness
06-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Don't ask me why, but I've always been terrified of the moose. Perhaps it is because of its gargantuan size, because I know they're supposed to be somewhat docile creatures (I've never read of any perilous moose encounters, although I'm sure they do occur). Maybe it can all be traced back to my early childhood memories of seeing a great moose head mounted on the back wall of the sporting goods section of the store Academy. I used to have nightmares about it falling on me. :err:

I'm also, to this very day, completely petrified (and somewhat intrigued) when it comes to Great Horned Owls, and a few other birds of prey. They both frighten and fascinate me. We have quite a few Great Horned Owls around here and the biggest one I've ever seen couldn't have been any less than two feet in height. This is the one, I suspect, that devoured my beloved K.C. (a cat I had a few years ago). It was a really terrible experience for me, as she wasn't even an outdoor cat -- it was just a very freak thing. My dog was barking and frightened her, so she ran out of the house and a huge owl just happened to be sitting, waiting in the neighbor's oak tree. I also know a guy (a friend of my father's), who nearly had his entire scalp ripped off by a Great Horned. Seems the owl mistook him for a fence post.

So, yeah. Fuck the owls.

Jasper
06-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Don't ask me why, but I've always been terrified of the moose. Perhaps it is because of its gargantuan size, because I know they're supposed to be somewhat docile creatures (I've never read of any perilous moose encounters, although I'm sure they do occur). Maybe it can all be traced back to my early childhood memories of seeing a great moose head mounted on the back wall of the sporting goods section of the store Academy. I used to have nightmares about it falling on me. :err:

You're wrong about them being docile. They get angry very easily. You are right to fear them, because they are fucking monstrous, and then can trample you so easily. They are especially dangerous, because most people think they are harmless...

Pete
06-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Sharks? Ha! The trouble is, once you get out of the water, wtf is he going to do??

eat ya boat?

seriously, hmmm most scariest would have to be the greater drunken bazzle... seen frequently throughout the darker alleys of norwich on numerous nights of the week, this norturnal beast is extremely grouchy when woken before 2pm and after consuming an even minor amount of alcohol is very unhealthy to approach - spewing venomous knowledge about quantum physics which is very bad for anyone close enough to hear it, fortunately the greater drunken bazzle tires easily and is usually asleep by the time the pubs throw out...

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 07:18 PM
oops, my bad Liam, sometimes I confues the Funnel Web and Goliath Spider, don't know why :icon_conf

Lil' Lady Chaz
06-09-2004, 07:36 PM
My God that Shark is a Big bugger aint he?
But to be honest I love sharks, there so powerful!

Mags
06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Ligers...word. Granted, they really only exist in captivity, so in order to get attacked by one, you'd probably have to be acting pretty retarded in some zoo...but then...Look how fucking big they are.

http://www.tigers-animal-actors.com/about/liger/ligerstand.JPG

I'll pass on those.

I'm scared of snakes...I don't like them...at all. They're fast, and they move funny, and they don't seem very nice.

World's most poisonous snake, the Inland Taipan
http://www.kingsnake.com/toxinology/old/images/oxyuranus/inlandtaipan.JPG

Also, Kill Bill Vol. 2 made me pretty fucking afraid of the Black Mamba, about which Elle didn't mention these motherfuckers are the fastest land snakes and grow up to FOURTEEN feet long. yeah...no thanks.

http://www.gherp.com/gallery/new/black%20mamba.jpg

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Yup, don't care for the black Mamba, seeing as their in the top five for deadliest snakes.

NearokA
06-09-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm also, to this very day, completely petrified (and somewhat intrigued) when it comes to Great Horned Owls, and a few other birds of prey. They both frighten and fascinate me. We have quite a few Great Horned Owls around here and the biggest one I've ever seen couldn't have been any less than two feet in height. This is the one, I suspect, that devoured my beloved K.C. (a cat I had a few years ago). It was a really terrible experience for me, as she wasn't even an outdoor cat -- it was just a very freaky thing.

Emotey, That's why you get a dog. A really big dog. Personally, I prefer a siberian husky.

And for all those scared of sharks, have you ever heard of shark fin soup? Yum. And ya know, there's a reason why the great white shark is going extinct...

frodo1511
06-09-2004, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=Glare]a lion is king of the jungle. QUOTE]

You do realize that lions don't live in Jungles, they live in the plains, or the Serengeti of Africa. Tigers, pumas, and leopards, on the other hand, do live in jungles.

Kelsey
07-09-2004, 12:07 AM
"A liger, only one of my favorite animals. Bred for their skills and magic."

Scary Animals:
Tuna/Baracuda
Sharks
Spiders
my sister

I can't think of anything else.

EmotionSickness
07-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Emotey, That's why you get a dog. A really big dog. Personally, I prefer a siberian husky.

Haha. Whoa! Talk about irony. A couple of wayward Siberian Huskies mauled my other beloved cat, Smudge, to death one morning when she was just minding her own damn business in our front garden. Poor thing was de-clawed and had no way of fighting back, either. A guy down the street breeds them and, obviously, doesn't look after them very well (boy, did he get it from my mother and I). So, yeah. I hate Huskies. Beautiful dogs, though.

Mags: that is perhaps one of the most frightening looking creatures I've ever seen. Never heard of or seen a Liger before, actually. Fucking huge animals they are. Kinda reminds me of those man-hungry, super-naturally huge lions from The Ghost and the Darkness (a terrifying true story, by the way). *shudders*

NearokA
07-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Uh

Me thinks mag meant tiger? wtf is a liger?
Besides, tigers are my favorite animals. It would be my honor to be eaten by one. :icon-mrgr

EmotionSickness
07-09-2004, 04:07 AM
No, she meant Liger. I'm guessing that a liger is a hybrid lion-tiger, to put it simply. Lion + Tiger = Liger. :)

zaphod_beeblebrox
07-09-2004, 05:02 AM
the animal i choose would be a starving crazed weasil no doubt about it or sigfried and roy

Glare
07-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Panthera leo (Lion) - Largest cat in Africa. One of the biggest cats on Earth.
Strengths: Well-rounded athlete, especially good at pouncing, wrestling, and with a particularly potent bite. Also stealthier than the polar bear.
Weaknesses: Not as proficient a swimmer as the polar bear. Less well suited to extreme temperatures, particularly cold, as it never gets terribly cold in its African range. Smaller than the polar bear, very likely to be outmatched in a straight-up fight.

Ursus maritimus (Polar Bear) - Largest carnivore on land. Largest bear in the world. The very top of the Arctic food chain.
Strengths - Superior size, extreme proficiency at swimming. Highly resistant to extreme cold. Equally proficient, if not more so than the African lion, at close combat including grappling and striking.
Weaknesses - Not as stealthy as the lion, with a bite that may or may not be inferior to the lion's in terms of killpower. Not much on supreme agility for leaping or fast movement, either, better suited to slow, steady overpowering of inferior targets in straightforward contest.

My verdict:

Two very strong contenders, but I'm gonna give it to the polar bear in 3. The lion is undoubtedly superior at surprise attack, and if he gets in a good, unexpected pounce at the start of the bout with a solid bite to the neck or throat, it could very well be over in one blow. The lion's bite, hell, the bite of big cats in general, is one of the most powerful bites relative to size on the planet. In rare mortal combat between lions, their jaws are even capable of crushing their enemies' skulls.

If the lion doesn't get in a cheap shot, however, and is forced to fight straight up, it's probably not gonna go well for him. He may have the advantage of speed and agility, but the bear has the advantage of raw power, with a formidable bite and swat coupled with superior weight (up to ~1,000 pounds!) for wrestling while jockeying for that killer bite. The claws are probably not as sharp as the lion's, but they're definitely a factor in the power of that swat, and unless the lion tries some really tricky shit and gets a very nice bite, I'd say this match is the bear's to lose.

hasselbrad
08-09-2004, 12:44 PM
People.

Very true. There is nothing more dangerous than a drunken redneck. They will fight with anything that moves, drive at ridiculous speed and try just about any stunt they can imagine. Very dangerous, indeed.
Plus...they urinate in the woods. :)

As far as animals with less than a 3rd grade education, I'll go with the Grizzly Bear. Huge and fast.

Kelsey's right about barracudas. They have been known to launch themselves out of the fucking water to get at prey.

frodo1511
08-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Kelsey's right about barracudas. They have been known to launch themselves out of the fucking water to get at prey.

Same with the Great White and hunting seals off the coast of Africa. Man, those fuckers can launch 3 feet INTO THE AIR. It's really a sight to see.