PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Band

DragonRat
05-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Given all the great bands out there, in past and present, I was considering with my dorm floormates, the possibility of their 'fantasy band'. Given you have one frontman, two guitarists, one bassist, and one drummer, who, out of all the great musicians in the world, would you choose? I'd rather people choose people who are actually in bands or formally in bands, not guest musicians or solo artists. If you insist, you can add one more instrument (piano/keyboard, DJ mixer, etc.) Here's my choice:

Frontman: Bono (U2)
Guitarist 1: Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Guitarist 2: The Edge (U2)
Bassist: Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Drummer: Dave Grohl (Nirvana)

Richard
05-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Four-man group. :)

Frontman: George Harrison (The Beatles)
Guitarist 1: Buddy Holly (Buddy Holly & The Crickets)
Guitarist 2: Chuck Berry
Drummer: Ringo Starr (The Beatles)

Eh... not original. But what did you expect?

Jacoby
05-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Hmmm....

Frontman: Paul Banks (Interpol)..because of his voice.
Guitarist: Devendra Banhart (Vetiver, and Devendra Banhart)
Guitarist: Pete Townshend (The Who)
Bassist: Carlos Dengler (Interpol)
Drummer: Richard Starkey

duckula
05-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Right, lets see.

Lead vocals: Mick Jagger (sorry Mr. Plant)
Lead Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Guitar: Jimmy Paige
Bass Guitar: John Entwistle
Keyboards: Beethoven
Drums: Animal (from the muppets)

Shouts out to Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Jeff Bebe and many others. Fuck you all. They will all comprise my Orchestra Of Rock (the most awesomest thing to ever, it goes to 12).

Edit: How could I forget. Bob Dylan, just being Bob Dylan.

Jasper
06-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Front Man/Bass: Fat Mike (NOFX)
Guitar/Backup vocals: Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio)
Guitar: El Hefe (NOFX)
Cello: Gretta Cohn (Cursive)
Drums: Macbeth Proenza (Against All Authority)

Songwriter: Kevin Gilbert

mufiman
06-09-2004, 03:41 AM
hmmm

vocals: charles thompson [the pixies]
lead guitar: hendrix
guitar: pete townshend [the who]
bassist: jason newsted [formerly of Metallica]
drummer: dave grohl [nirvana]

EmotionSickness
06-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Well, damn. Everyone is taking all of my people. We can't have Jimmy Page in three different bands, now can we? So, I'll choose the following:

Lead singer -- Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury (yeah, I know he's dead, but he has the most amazing voice ever. He could rise from the dead to be in my band ... ).

Lead guitarist -- Steve Vai or Eric Clapton.

Rhythm guitar/back-up vocals -- Bob Dylan or Tom Petty (hey, they did it in the Traveling Wilbury's, the greatest super-band EVER).

Bassist -- Les Claypool of Primus (the world's greatest bassist, since the recent death of Mr. Entwistle).

Drummer -- Neal Peart of Rush or Chad Sexton from 311.

And, finally, the guy that does all the mixing, keyboard and orchestral work and other crazy/neat shit -- Jeff Lynne of the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).

Vertigo
06-09-2004, 04:20 AM
Vocalist: Jeff Buckley
Guitarist: Jimmy Page (1975)
Bassist: Cliff Burton
Drums: Joey Jordison

I prefer 4 piece bands, sometimes with 2 guitarists the sound can became messy and you are unable to pick out the instruments.

Dyce_Blue
06-09-2004, 05:09 AM
As far as I know, Velvet Revolver is as close to an aforementioned star-studded band as you can get. But then again, I'm no expert...

What I do know far better than anyone else on this site is rap. To the strong objection of many, I will name the perfect rap group...which also happens to be evenly distributed throughout the nation...

Beat Producer: Kanye West (Chicago)

Chorus: Nate Dogg (LA)
Lead Vocal: Ludacris (Atlanta)
Secondary Vocal: Big Boi (Atlanta)
Third Vocalist: DMX (NY)

I made up those terms for the vocalists, because rap isn't at all complicated, and doesn't have those types of terms...

Kelsey
06-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I want the Spice Girls to get back together. All 5.

EmotionSickness
06-09-2004, 03:31 PM
As far as I know, Velvet Revolver is as close to an aforementioned star-studded band as you can get. But then again, I'm no expert...

Not even close. You're forgetting about the Traveling Wilburys (although, now that I think about it, you've probably never heard of them).

Anyway, they were comprised of (in order of fame and general greatness, although that's quite debatable): former-Beatle George Harrison (guitar and vocals), Bob Dylan (guitar and vocals), ELO's Jeff Lynne (guitar and vocals), Roy Orbison (guitar and vocals), and Tom Petty (you guessed it -- guitar and vocals). Sure, they didn't play anything else (on the records, anyway), but there's always session musicians for that.

The Traveling Wilburys were the greatest super-band ever. A curse on Velvet Revolver. I've lost all respect for Scott Weiland (although, you'd think the on-going smack addiction and constant run-ins with the law would have done that. But no.)

Too bad Roy died before the Wilburys could ever start touring; they only lasted (barely) two years (in the late 1980's).

This isn't entirely off-topic, is it? We are talking about super-bands, of sorts. Wait, scratch that. The word that was used was "fantasy", so, in light of that ... I will now TRY to steer this post back on-topic (sorry, guys! Please don't hurt me, Poggs!) :p

It's nice to see most of you picking 'oldies' musicians (or at least musicians that did not rise to fame in the 90's). You know, the musicians with some modicum of real, unbeatable talent. Whatever happened to those musicians? They must all be hiding, because they're certainly not on the television or the radio.

Jacoby
06-09-2004, 04:57 PM
It's nice to see most of you picking 'oldies' musicians (or at least musicians that did not rise to fame in the 90's). You know, the musicians with some modicum of real, unbeatable talent. Whatever happened to those musicians? They must all be hiding, because they're certainly not on the television or the radio.

:icon_surp Are you kidding! The 90's gave birth to some of the greatest bands ever. They don't get much play on the radio, but they're on there. (I'm talking about bands like Interpol, The Shins, The Microphones, Sparklehorse, Pavement, etc.)

I forgot to mention that there's already a fantasy band: The Bens. It's a indie-pop phenomenon, really. Ben Kweller, Ben Lee, and Ben Folds...Really good stuff. :icon_spam, I know, sorry.

EmotionSickness
06-09-2004, 05:10 PM
The 90's gave birth to some very incredible bands (and many of my favorite bands), yes. But some of the greatest ever? I'm afraid I'll have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who believes that rock music achieved perfection in the 1970's and has been going downhill ever since. I, personally, just feel that music, or musicians, rather, just aren't quite what they used to be. Their general song-writing ability and talent for their respective instruments just doesn't compare, in my opinion.

I suppose we'll have to start a seperate thread about this now. :p

Jasper
06-09-2004, 05:18 PM
I forgot to mention that there's already a fantasy band: The Bens. It's a indie-pop phenomenon, really. Ben Kweller, Ben Lee, and Ben Folds...Really good stuff. :icon_spam, I know, sorry.

Word up. I love the bens! Ben Folds is the man.

CFC
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I agree. When I think greatest bands ever I don't think of bands that sratted in the 90's. Maybe in 10 years my opinion will change.

Jacoby
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
The 90's gave birth to some very incredible bands (and many of my favorite bands), yes. But some of the greatest ever? I'm afraid I'll have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who believes that rock music achieved perfection in the 1970's and has been going downhill ever since. I, personally, just feel that music, or musicians, rather, just aren't quite what they used to be. Their general song-writing ability and talent for their respective instruments just doesn't compare, in my opinion.

I suppose we'll have to start a seperate thread about this now. :p

Bands from the 70's are just more appreciated. Radiohead in 20 years will be seen as gods from the eyes of kids our age. They'll be like how we see the Beatles. I stick with my statement. Some of the best bands ever are from the 90's. If The Shins toured with The Beatles they'd be just as famous and respected. Start up a new thread.

duckula
06-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Radiohead are cool but the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zep and the others are fucking legends Can you imagine Yorke Is God being written everywhere?

Narzys
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Not even close. You're forgetting about the Traveling Wilburys

totally agree... (same with "the band")

New:
vocals 1: Madonna
vocals 2: Elvis Presley
Guitar: Santana
Guitar: George Harrison
Bas: Rick Danko
Drums: Ringo Star
Organ: Al Kooper
Mouth Harp: Bob Dylan

The Black Rider
06-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Frontman: Iggy Pop
Guitarist 1: Jimi Hendrix
Guitarist 2: Mick Ronson
Bassist: John Entwhistle
Drummer: John Bonham OR Keith Moon

johnnyboy
07-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Hmmmm...

Frontman: Dave Matthews OR Bob Marley
Guitar 1: Jimi Hendrix
Guitar 2: Eric Clapton
Bass: Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones)
Drums: Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band) OR Ringo Starr (Beatles)

keira_lover
07-09-2004, 05:33 AM
Hmmmm...

Frontman: Dave Matthews OR Bob Marley
Guitar 1: Jimi Hendrix
Guitar 2: Eric Clapton
Bass: Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones)
Drums: Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band) OR Ringo Starr (Beatles)

Bob Marley? I must say Johnnyboy I have a new found respect for you, very good taste.

Lead Vocalist: Bob Marley
Guitar/Vocals: Jimi Hendrix
Guitar: Tom Morello (formerly of Rage)
Bass: Saba Rass Ramos (Mystic Roots)
Drums: Lars Ulrich

apoggy
08-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Courtesy of a fellow who goes by the name of Hazzle:

I made a point of picking people who noone else had mentioned:

Front Man: Jim Morrison (The Doors)
Backing Vocals and Lead Guitar (I'm cheating a little): Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Guitar 2: Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Bass Guitar: Krist Novoselic (Nirvana)
Piano accompaniment and songwriter: John Lennon (The Beatles)
Drums: Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

gracie
08-09-2004, 01:42 AM
you know there are more rules to this game. being a psycho who tries this game with her friends all the time i have yet to get it right. and have refrained from posting it. sept spin confirms my need for more rules. here official rules:
You need a singer, a guitarist, a bass player a drummer and one "wild card" a musician who can play whatever you want and provide back up vocals. the rules
1. you cant take more than one member from any one group
2. you cant pick frank sinatra or elvis presley as your vocalist
3. you cant pick jimi hendrix as your guitarist
4. if you pick a guitarist/bassist/drummer who sings (les claypool, don henley, adam levine) they cannot sing in this particular band, if you choose don henley you are a cunt btw and loose.
5. you cant pick john bonham or animal from the muppets as your drummer

disclaimer- heres where its hard. my dream band would be similar to many youve thrown up notably poggs/haz. but your dream band should be able to work together, record an album, acutally create the best fucking music in the world.
ill post mine later

gracie
08-09-2004, 02:04 AM
alright heres mine at the moment.
Vocals- Tim Krasher from Cursive. Im not saying hes the best vocalist in all music. But hes talented and inspired. Maybe he could work well with others.
Guitarist- Tony Iommi from black sabbath
Bassit- Flea for lack of a better option. I dont focus on bassists for some reason, and les claypool is a tool.
Drummer- Keith Moon of the who. the best drummer ever.
Wild Card- Prince. duh. whos better than that.

i think theyd work together ok- at least bound by a present/past substance problem

Jacoby
08-09-2004, 02:04 AM
You need a singer, a guitarist, a bass player a drummer and one "wild card" a musician who can play whatever you want and provide back up vocals. the rules
4. if you pick a guitarist/bassist/drummer who sings (les claypool, don henley, adam levine) they cannot sing in this particular band, if you choose don henley you are a cunt btw and loose.

Singer: Paul Banks (Sticking with him, love his voice.)
Guitarist: Sticking with Pete Townshend.
Bass Player: John Paul Jones
Drummer: Ringo, still.
"Wild Card": Ben Folds..he plays everything..I'd use him on the keys. And he can sing, as well.

EmotionSickness
08-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Fine, fine. I'll play it your way, Gracie. But Les Claypool fucking owns.

Singer -- Stickin' with Freddie Mercury.

Guitarist -- Hmm, I'm gonna stick with Steve Vai (or Jimmy Page, haha), as well.

Bassist -- Flea (not for lack of a better option; he's fucking amazing, as well) or John Entwistle (the Who).

Drummer -- Keith Moon or Gene Krupa (crazy, drugged-up wild men on the skins = best drummers ever).

"Wild Card" - Prince (this father of neo-funk plays everything).

Yes, they'd all get along. I'd make them.

duckula
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
you know there are more rules to this game. being a psycho who tries this game with her friends all the time i have yet to get it right. and have refrained from posting it. sept spin confirms my need for more rules. here official rules:

disclaimer- heres where its hard. my dream band would be similar to many youve thrown up notably poggs/haz. but your dream band should be able to work together, record an album, acutally create the best fucking music in the world.
ill post mine later

Your rules suck. Bitch.

gracie
08-09-2004, 11:37 AM
not as hard as ryan says you do

duckula
08-09-2004, 11:56 AM
That's a comeback for the ages.

gracie
08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
i know arent i the shit.

hasselbrad
08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Vocals: Johnny Cash
Guitarist: Dickie Betts
Guitarist (acoustic): Stephen Stills
Bassist: Les Claypool
Drummer: Ginger Baker
Wild Card: Billy Corgan...what the fuck was I thinking? Genius.

The Black Rider
08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Here, I've revised it...and I think I've come up with a better one:

Vocals: Iggy Pop
Guitarist: Robert Fripp
Bassist: John Entwhistle
Drummer: Phil Selway
Wild Card: John Zorn

Stormbringer
08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Singer-Mike Patton
Guitarist-Steve Vai
Bass-Sean Malone
Drums-Gene Hoglan

Jasper
08-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Vocals- Tim Krasher from Cursive. Im not saying hes the best vocalist in all music. But hes talented and inspired. Maybe he could work well with others.

Cursive is the greatest band on the planet. I saw them live last year... they were fucking awesome. Reggie and the Full Effect opened for them... hilarious.

EmotionSickness
08-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Reggie and the Full Effect opening for Cursive? What a travesty.

Jasper
08-09-2004, 09:09 PM
No, I meant that Reggie and the Full Effect are hilarious. Not that them opening for cursive is funny. RatFE is a very humorous band.

EmotionSickness
09-09-2004, 04:27 AM
No, I meant that Reggie and the Full Effect are hilarious. Not that them opening for cursive is funny. RatFE is a very humorous band.

I know.

I was just saying that it is a travesty that a band like Reggie and the Full Effect is opening for the likes of Cursive, when it should be the other way around. That's all.

But, at the risk of being scolded for steering this (slightly) off-topic ... I'm going to change my "wild card", since Gracie already chose Prince. I'm going with Dave Grohl (of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters); he, alone, wrote all of the music and played every single instrument on the first two FF albums. What a guy.

Liam
09-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Hmm. Fucking good question.

I don't believe in frontmen - I think that everyone in the band should be playing instruments. That just me though.

Vocals / Guitars: Matthew Bellamy (Muse - an acquired taste, but sounds good to me)
Lead Guitars: Jimi Hendrix (Hendrix Experience - simply the greatest guitarist of all time)
Lead Guitars: Joe Satriani (G3 - Two words: Fucking Awesome)
Bass / Vocals: Tom Araya (Slayer - Kick arse bassist. Admittedly, his vocal style isnt such that would be universally popular, but I think it rocks. Cliff Burton is a contender, but Tom wins for his singing)
Drums: Lars Ulrich (Metallica - widely regarded as the best drummer in rock today. Was a difficult call between Dave Lombardo of Slayer and Ulrich, but Lars won in the end for his ability to play fearsomely long live sets.)

The best bit? Nobody will agree. Ho ho.

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I know.

I was just saying that it is a travesty that a band like Reggie and the Full Effect is opening for the likes of Cursive, when it should be the other way around. That's all.

But, at the risk of being scolded for steering this (slightly) off-topic ... I'm going to change my "wild card", since Gracie already chose Prince. I'm going with Dave Grohl (of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters); he, alone, wrote all of the music and played every single instrument on the first two FF albums. What a guy.

Your post made me change my wild card. Billy Corgan did the same on pretty much all of the Smashing Pumpkins albums if I am not mistaken.

DragonRat
09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I think I'll go with

Bono as frontman
Jimmy Page as guitarist
Flea as bassist
Dave Grohl as drummer

and it's a toss-up between Paul McCartney or John Lennon as the wild card. Both could play guitar, play piano, and write half-way decent melodies :P. But, with the set-up I have with the fantasy band above, I think Lennon's certain lyrical quality would set him apart from Paul.

Jasper
09-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I know.

Yes, Reggie is a great band. It has two people from one of my other favorite bands (The Getup Kids), but that doesn't change the fact that cursive is the greatest band out there. Either way, no matter how you cut it... Reggie + Cursive = kick ass show.

Back on topic. I change my front man From Fat Mike (Only allowed to have one person from same band) to Benjamin Kowalewicz from Billy Talent. I just love the way his voice sounds.