PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Renegade
05-09-2004, 12:08 AM
I was really looking forward to the movie this summer but it was pushed back til 9/17.

Don't know what it's about? Set in the 1930's, It's a sci-fi action flick about a power-hungry scientist who sends out raging robots and funky-looking planes to destroy the world. Sky Captain (Jude Law) with his P-40 plane, a newswriter (Gywneth Paltrow), and a fleet headed by Angelina Jolie's character try to stop them. Link:http://movies.go.com/movies/S/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow_2004/index.html

Don't know how well the story will be executed but the Special FX look great.

What do you think?

MeggieHoops
05-09-2004, 12:12 AM
I CANNOT wait for this movie. I'm mad excited. The cast looks fabulous, the plot looks fabulous, etc.

Jacoby
05-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Looks fairly interesting. I'll wait to see how it's reviewed, though. I hope it's as good as you think it'll be, Renegade.

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Meh, looks ok, Don't really care for Angelina or Gwynth, but I do like Jude Law.

Anyway, I'm not liking how the only "real" thing in the whole movie is the cast. Now, don't get me wrong, LOTR did have A LOT of special FX, but it was also filmed in, IMO, the most beautiful place on Earth, New Zealand. I would really hate to act on a green screen for hours on end, and not really have any parts in "real" locations. It's a good idea, I'm just a little dissapointed with there not being any real cities or such.(If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a fan of CG-only movies, except Toy Story and the new Final Fantasy movie, Advent Children.)

Renegade
05-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Don't really care for Angelina or Gwynth, but I do like Jude Law.

Go figure.;)

Well I'm sure they filmed some scenes in real locations. But do remember, the movie is set in New York around the 1930's.

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Well I'm sure they filmed some scenes in real locations. But do remember, the movie is set in New York around the 1930's.

True, but I don't think New York will be complety CG in King Kong;) than again, WETA will probably just build a HUGE model, and shoot a camera around it. What really is a negative in my book is how bright the movie looks. All the trailers/previews I've seen are all bright, like the entire cast/movie is looking for divine intervention.

On the postive, I do like the idea of airplanes with "flapping" wings. It's hysterical.

DesignatedJerk
05-09-2004, 01:50 AM
"Meh, looks ok, Don't really care for Angelina or Gwynth,"

says you.

I dunno why Angelina Jolie would lower her self to this role.

Kelsey
05-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Jude Law looks like a child molester, I think Gwyneth Paltrow is a bitch, and even though I've seen the previews, I could not tell you what this movie is about. I'll be seeing it because I'm an Angelina fan.

deviljet88
05-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I didn't get excited about it after watching the trailer. The prospect of a sci-fi film in the 1930's just doesn't appeal to me. Might watch it if someone invites me to, but voluntarily, no.

Elijahfan
05-09-2004, 05:11 AM
i like the fact that it's suppose to be sorta cheesy, come on it's got robots fightin' planes, and it's sci-fi. plus the cast looks wonderful. angelina in some form of S&M outfit is funny. and Jude law looking absolutely gorgeous as the Sky Captain.

the only thing that worries me is not the CGI, but the lighting from the CGI they used. it may not bother anyone else, but the hazy glace they put on everything hurt my eyes, and that was just the trailer. but i'm too excited for it, so even if i go blind....the last thing i'll have seen is Jude law, which is fine by me. :)

slimgopey
05-09-2004, 06:00 AM
I was worried about the flick until some guys at Joblo.com said they saw the movie and said it was a bloody good time. Only bad part nobody I know wants to see it :| They'd rather see without a paddle..

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 04:16 PM
the only thing that worries me is not the CGI, but the lighting from the CGI they used. it may not bother anyone else, but the hazy glace they put on everything hurt my eyes, and that was just the trailer.

Exactley what I was thinking. It looked like the whole movie was washed in white light. It's different, I'll give it that, but it takes out all the contrasting colors, making the overall effect kinda bland.

Kelsey
05-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I like it...it adds to the effect, and looks like a 30s movie.

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 04:22 PM
I like it...it adds to the effect, and looks like a 30s movie.

I just hope the new King Kong movie dosen't use it. It even pissed me off seeing it in the Return of the King, although they had to, seeing that Minas Tirith is the "white city"

Screw it, I'm seeing Shaun of the Dead instead, maby see SC on HBO some day.

Kelsey
05-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Why can't you see both?

I have mixed feelings about King Kong being remade, but to stay on topic...yeah, Sky Captain...I hope it's not one of those really busy movies (only because I work at the movies), but I'm sure it will be. I have nothing else to say about it.

Julespaxton
05-09-2004, 04:27 PM
i am in love w/ angelina

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Why can't you see both?

Because, I'm saving up to go see the Incredibles! Duh:P

Well, I'll most likely see it, once the base gets it(probably in October, we're late getting movies)

Richard
05-09-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing every single shot in this movie contains some sort of CGI. The trailer alone made me sick, it was too... showy. Eh... what do I know.

I'll probably rent this one, seeing that I hardly go to the theaters anyway.

duckula
05-09-2004, 06:16 PM
You all suck. This film looks awesome and I mean that in the most literal of senses. Soft light, art deco, hot women, pretty aircraft, fucking cool looking bad guys and the metropolis of tomorrow. What's not to love?

Elijahfan
05-09-2004, 07:18 PM
You all suck. This film looks awesome and I mean that in the most literal of senses. Soft light, art deco, hot women, pretty aircraft, fucking cool looking bad guys and the metropolis of tomorrow. What's not to love?

yes, i know, i totally love everything about it except that it gives me a head ache. and very few things do so its annoying-ish alright. i saw something about how they made the CGI and it said they put layers and layers of computer stuff on it, that's how they got the lighting like that. i'll still seeing it though... :icon_popc

Oencross
05-09-2004, 07:43 PM
I agree with the lot of you who say that it is odd that so much of the movie is in CGI, but it's also part of the appeal of the movie. I mean, it's not as though we can go back in time and film on location in a 1930's NY and with so much skyline shots it'd be very difficult to recreate models/building that would be even somewhat representative of the actual 1930's skyline. Just looking at the trailer with the long swooping shots from high in the sky down into the streets below is simply amazing and near impossible to do with just models. There was definitely a lot of thought and design that went into this movie beyond just the plot and setting.

I don't know if I can agree with the casting people for this movie though. I can see Angelina Jolie playing her part, but Paltrow and Law for their roles... I can see it working, but I dont' think it's the best fit. I see Ashley Judd in Paltrow's part and Colin Farrell (sp?) for those roles respectively. I'm sure other people would disagree with me, but I really think that would contain excellent chemistry.

Still, the overall plot, design, cast, and direction of the movie seems to be well done. The visual affects alone look stunning and the acting (hopefully) should be above par, I for one, will definitely be seeing this movie.

frodo1511
05-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Ok, forget everything I said earlier:

I just finished talking to Hazzle, and he said there were giant robots in this movie. GIANT ROBOTS!!! I'm hooked, I'm seeing it on September 17th, first showing, I don't care. I'm a sucker for giant robots.

Renegade
20-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Embarrasing. It only took in $16.2 million for the opening weekend. Maybe it was better off being released in the summer.

frodo1511
20-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Embarrasing. It only took in $16.2 million for the opening weekend. Maybe it was better off being released in the summer.

Hmmm, I guess people didn't warm up to it's graphical appeal...

CFC
20-09-2004, 01:19 AM

I guess the fact that they leave out sex and violence? I have not seen it but I am just guessing since it has a PG rating.

Liam
20-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Its all about the P-40.

I like the P-40 so much, I drew one. See the gallery.