PDA

View Full Version : Looks like there is no topic about an exellent film Dr.Zhivago.

Azag-ToT
29-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Looks like there is no topic about an exellent film Dr.Zhivago.

As for me I think must say Miss Knightley coped with the role of Lara Antipova absolutterly perfect!

Share you thoughts.

frodo1511
29-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Still need to see it, so does anybody know when/if it will be on TV(HBO, Cinemax, stuff like that, since my local Blockbuster does not seem to be stocking this movie)?

Richard
29-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Still need to see it, so does anybody know when/if it will be on TV(HBO, Cinemax, stuff like that, since my local Blockbuster does not seem to be stocking this movie)?

I hear it's on DVD. Don't know if it still airs on television.

It was an amazing movie. I haven't seen the original so I can't say this was better. Keira was perfect of course, I especially liked the ending.

frodo1511
29-08-2004, 09:08 PM
I hear it's on DVD. Don't know if it still airs on television.

Yeah, I heard from a little bird that it's out on DVD, only problem is that I can't find it anywhere. Blockbuster, Best Buy, Circut City, Wal-Mart, none of them have it, and I hate buying shit online. That's why I asked if it's still showing on the tube(btw, how old is the movie, a couple years)?

Richard
29-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I heard from a little bird that it's out on DVD, only problem is that I can't find it anywhere. Blockbuster, Best Buy, Circut City, Wal-Mart, none of them have it, and I hate buying shit online. That's why I asked if it's still showing on the tube(btw, how old is the movie, a couple years)?

I haven't seen it in those stores either, online might be your only luck.

I was made in 2002. BTW, I just did a seach for it on Yahoo! TV, and there are no listings.

frodo1511
29-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen it in those stores either, online might be your only luck.

I was made in 2002. BTW, I just did a seach for it on Yahoo! TV, and there are no listings.

cool, thanks richard. I guess I'll just have to find it online, which might be faster than looking for it here:P I normally don't like shopping on-line, since
1. I have no credit card,
2. It takes almost a week to send it to an Air Force Base, and
3. Half of the time, I get the wrong thing:(

Mags
30-08-2004, 03:21 AM
I saw it in Best Buy about two months ago...but at that time, my finances were in dire straits and I already had it recorded on VHS so I passed. However, it hasn't been there the last two times I've gone. I KNOW I've seen it on Amazon, so I know it's available...though it's about $30-$40...so not cheap...but allegedly a 10 minute interview with Keira. And of course the movie is exceptional. Best thing about it (Sorry, it's not Keira) is the score. The score is probably my favourite score of all time...except for Kill Bill Vol. 2. Which owns EVERY score ever.

That's right Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Jaws, ET, Gone With The Wind. You all suck. Bow down to Kill Bill.

Kelsey
30-08-2004, 05:36 AM
I still need to see this movie. I walked in on the very end when she's telling the little boy to run away (or something like that) and I started crying.

hasselbrad
30-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I got my copy at Best Buy. I think it was 29.99. I've also seen it in Borders at a display of movies based on novels. They can probably order it for you.
And yes, Keira is fantastic in it. She carries the film, since Sam Neill is completely over the top and the guy who plays Zhivago seems to be on the verge of tears in every single scene. If the last scene doesn't choke you up, you are not human.

Edward
30-08-2004, 07:20 PM
yep, this is one of my favourite films after "the pianist"

Sarah
30-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Keira is excellent in it. She can act.

frodo1511
30-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Holy crap, what's up with the price? $30? $40? Whenever I go to Best Buy, I see NOTHING over $20. Maby it will go down in price soon, and I still need to check next time I hit the city.

Mags
30-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Holy crap, what's up with the price? $30? $40? Whenever I go to Best Buy, I see NOTHING over $20. Maby it will go down in price soon, and I still need to check next time I hit the city.

I'm pretty sure it's at least two discs. When I watched it on tv, it was 4 hours, with no commercials, and then there's something like 70 minutes of interviews and stuff. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's so far not much demand for it and everywhere I've seen it's been at least $30, and I think at Best Buy, it was $39. They had it on a table with a bunch of random DVDs, but I couldn't afford it then. And when I went back, I couldn't find it anywhere. Someone in Houston snagged it.

Oh well, I've still got it on VHS so win.

frodo1511
31-08-2004, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=Mags]I'm pretty sure it's at least two discs. When I watched it on tv, it was 4 hours, with no commercials, and then there's something like 70 minutes of interviews and stuff. QUOTE]

Ok that explains the price, I didn't know how long the movie was, so sue me.

hasselbrad
31-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Yes...it is two discs and something like four or six hours long. Worth it though.

Keyser_so_so
31-08-2004, 02:37 PM
It was originally a three (or four) part series over here, in Britain, about two years ago. I loved it when it was on- but restricted myself from buying the DVD.

One thing, which is pretty unexplainable, is that the DVD costs around the equivalent of £30-40 in the U.S.A. but over here in sunny ol' England, it costs about half that!

Sarah
31-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I picked it up for 13 quid.

Edward
31-08-2004, 11:35 PM
got it for £10 from woolworths i got the white dvd cover version (granada)

PhoeniX
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
I got it for £9.00 on Amazon used but really good condition

The Black Rider
09-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I taped it off of Masterpiece Theater last November. So I got it, including Russell Baker's introductions, for free!

Keira is very good in this, and it is the performance that made me fall in love with her, but I wasn't so impressed with the rest of the film (except for the music, cinematography, and Kris Marshall).

If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly recommend you all rent the original. It's a brilliant film.

frodo1511
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly recommend you all rent the original. It's a brilliant film.

I would, IF I COULD FUCKING FIND IT!!!

hasselbrad
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I would, IF I COULD FUCKING FIND IT!!!

You should be able to find the 1965 version at Blockbuster. :)

frodo1511
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
You should be able to find the 1965 version at Blockbuster. :)

You don't know my blockbuster, hassel.

But I'll still search for it, nevertheless.

Kathy
10-09-2004, 09:26 AM
I picked my copy up at Tower Records for around $40. Haven't seen it in there since then, though. Seems I got the last and only copy they'll ever sell. I'm echoing everybody else's thoughts here, but it really was a fantastic movie. Or maybe it was just Keira...

This may seem like a shameless plug, but I do have some screencaps of it on my site... They're tagged at the moment, as people have been stealing them and it took forever to do, but I would be more than happy to donate some to KKWavefront, if they should ever want them. Un-tagged, of course. :icon_wink