PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite scary movie?

Richard
27-08-2004, 07:15 PM
This is SO unoriginal, but I remember doing this last time on the old forums.

Now, if I neglected to mention before... I love horror films, and I'm easily excited to hear what your favs are. So to keep in theme with the other similar threads, make a list but include (if you want) the reasons why you like them.

I'll of course, respond to this later.

Jacoby
27-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Gremlins, or maybe Gremlins 2.

Liam
27-08-2004, 07:23 PM
The Land Before Time.

Three Horns not playing with Long Necks is so discriminatory.

hasselbrad
27-08-2004, 07:34 PM
I haven't seen any of the "Scary Movie" series, so I am unqualified...
...oh, you mean movies that frighten me?!? :icon_bigg

Seriously...Psycho. End of discussion. For me at least.

IeatDogs
27-08-2004, 10:06 PM
This would be scary movie.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=5&u=/usatoday/20040827/ts_usatoday/camperskillingscarescaliftown

frodo1511
27-08-2004, 10:52 PM
White Chicks. 'nuff said.

...Although I do find that the first in a series is always the scariest. Halloween, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, I Know What you did Last Summer, and Gremlins.

Pinkfairy
27-08-2004, 11:09 PM
The Shining, The Omen, the old Halloween and Friday the 13th movies.
Wrong Turn was scary as well.

Jacoby
27-08-2004, 11:56 PM
When I was young the movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" scared the crap out of me. The part where he almost eats his kid who's swimming in the Cherrio's. That was hard to watch. I'm over that now, and I can watch the scariest of scary movies: Scream 2.

Spire
28-08-2004, 01:17 AM
The Shining is excellent, probably my fav.

Narg
28-08-2004, 01:17 AM
The exorsist and Kazzam.

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Kazzam.

How scarier can a movie get, starring Shaq and all?

Recently, I saw Underworld, and found it freaking awesome. Not overall scary, just some of the shit the vampiers and were-sorry, lycans:) wore was creepy.

meegaan1
28-08-2004, 02:30 AM
The Others made me cry in fear. It toyed with me and left me disturbed. I still am.
Other scary movies I like are the Tremors trilogy, Carrie, and a TV movie or something called Trilogy of Terror II. Man, it was creeeeepy.

Narg
28-08-2004, 12:39 PM
How scarier can a movie get, starring Shaq and all?

Recently, I saw Underworld, and found it freaking awesome. Not overall scary, just some of the shit the vampiers and were-sorry, lycans:) wore was creepy.

That movie kicks ass, Kate Beckinsale in tight leather mmmmmm.

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Yes, Yes, I know, the movie "ROXORS teh big one111"
I was just saying that, besides Kate's clothing, all the other vampires and lycans wore shit that would be redemmed "scary"

Dyce_Blue
28-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I like the new "Dawn of the Dead" for its entertainment value. I wouldn't really call it too scary though. I hear the original "Exorcist" is the King...

Ardnax
28-08-2004, 03:20 PM
The ring(new version) and Wrong turn.

Kelsey
28-08-2004, 04:53 PM
The Truman Show and What Women Want. No joke. It's where I learned what the word paranoia meant.

Richard
28-08-2004, 05:29 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=5&u=/usatoday/20040827/ts_usatoday/camperskillingscarescaliftown

Straight to execution. No trail, no jury, nothing.

Although I do find that the first in a series is always the scariest. Halloween, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, I Know What you did Last Summer, and Gremlins.

I'm dying to see Gremlins. Ah... Halloween, thank god I'm not the only one. It's truly a classic. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was great, everyone should be afraid of that movie. The original Scream was pretty good, so are it's sequels. I don't know why there are SO many Scream bashers? :icon_conf IKWYDLS, the first one anyways, was ok.

The Shining, The Omen, the old Halloween and Friday the 13th movies.
Wrong Turn was scary as well.

It took me 10 years to finally see The Shining, it was great for a 2-hour and 30 minute movie. Kubrick rules anyways. The whole Redrum scene got itself two stars. I haven't seen The Omen yet, it's on my list for rentals on Netflix.

As for Friday the 13th... let's just say I have all 8 parts on DVD. As pointless as they may be, they're highly enjoyable. Love them. :) Wrong Turn did a good job on making it resemble Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Deliverance.

The Others made me cry in fear. It toyed with me and left me disturbed. I still am. Other scary movies I like are the Tremors trilogy, Carrie, and a TV movie or something called Trilogy of Terror II. Man, it was creeeeepy.

I thought The Others was very original. The first Tremors movie owns. Kevin Bacon classic, people just don't know what they're missing.

Yep, Underworld was awesome. But if Kate wasn't in it, I don't think it would have been.

I like the new "Dawn of the Dead" for its entertainment value. I wouldn't really call it too scary though. I hear the original "Exorcist" is the King...

I'm waiting for the release of the new Dawn of the Dead, I recently re-watched the 1978 version and it brought back old memories. I'd probably prefer the original Exorcist, (even though I think it's over-rated) over the new one that just came out. I'm hearing bad things about it.

Aw shucks, I didn't name my favorites. I'll do it later.

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 07:27 PM
. I'm waiting for the release of the new Dawn of the Dead, I recently re-watched the 1978 version and it brought back old memories. I'd probably prefer the original Exorcist, (even though I think it's over-rated) over the new one that just came out. I'm hearing bad things about it.

Just to let you know, Richard, DotD comes out on DVD in October(around the 19th, the same day as Van Helsing:)
Definiately prefered the Exorcist over "the Beginning", and everyone else should as well.

Elijahfan
28-08-2004, 07:57 PM
the shining, it was long and jack nickolson is plan scary just by himself. the ring was scary the first time i saw it, and the grudge coming out soon with sarah michelle gellar looks freakish, aka ju-on i think in japanese. both trailers are at www.apple.com

Richard
28-08-2004, 08:23 PM
the shining, it was long and jack nickolson is plan scary just by himself. the ring was scary the first time i saw it, and the grudge coming out soon with sarah michelle gellar looks freakish, aka ju-on i think in japanese. both trailers are at www.apple.com

The Grudge looks disappointing. SMG just isn't what she used to be, I highly doubt this will have the same success as The Ring... though they do look kinda similar.

Elijahfan
28-08-2004, 08:32 PM
The Grudge looks disappointing. SMG just isn't what she used to be, I highly doubt this will have the same success as The Ring... though they do look kinda similar.

true, very very similar to the grudge, but i'm easily scared so it looks very frightening to me. i mean i'm scared of the dark so basically anything will do.

i do like the fact that even though they're remakes, they're actually getting the orginal directors to do them.

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I think that the scariest-looking upcoming movie has got to be "Shaun of the Dead" I mean, how scarier could a plot that involves people turning into zombies straight out of bordom? It makes me want to get out of half of my classes, which have teachers teach the curriculum so bad, I sleep through the entire class, and STILL get A's.

Richard
28-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I think that the scariest-looking upcoming movie has got to be "Shaun of the Dead" I mean, how scarier could a plot that involves people turning into zombies straight out of bordom? It makes me want to get out of half of my classes, which have teachers teach the curriculum so bad, I sleep through the entire class, and STILL get A's.

Out of boredom? Hell, at least it's original. I don't want this to go off-topic, but Saw is the upcoming movie I'm looking forward to.

EmotionSickness
28-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Hmmm. I've never been a big fan of so-called scary movies. I've always been intrigued by them, but when I was younger, I used to get way too scared of fictitious things/people. I've had an on-going fascination (and long-time fear) with/of Freddy Krueger. I dunno. Something about the way he looked and acted just scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid. But, now that I'm older and I'm able to watch all of the Nightmare films without so much as batting an eyelash (okay, that's a big lie, but still ... I'm not as scared as I used to be!), I see him for what he really is: funny. So, yeah. I quite like a few of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, namely the first in the series and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

I also enjoyed some of the Hellraiser series, particularly the first and the second film. Pinhead is just so calm and collected, which makes him all the more evil! As Richard knows, I'm a big fan of Phantasm (it was my dad's suggestion that I watch this) -- the Tall Man is such a badass. I also liked the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if only for pure shock/scary value.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning the high-brow horror films, like The Shining and Psycho, simply because there are too many that I like to sit here and list for you. I'm talking strictly gruesome (and often cheesy) horror. Always good fun.

Richard
28-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Hmmm. I've never been a big fan of so-called scary movies. I've always been intrigued by them, but when I was younger, I used to get way too scared of fictitious things/people. I've had an on-going fascination (and long-time fear) with/of Freddy Krueger. I dunno. Something about the way he looked and acted just scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid. But, now that I'm older and I'm able to watch all of the Nightmare films without so much as batting an eyelash (okay, that's a big lie, but still ... I'm not as scared as I used to be!), I see him for what he really is: funny. So, yeah. I quite like a few of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, namely the first in the series and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

I also enjoyed some of the Hellraiser series, particularly the first and the second film. Pinhead is just so calm and collected, which makes him all the more evil! As Richard knows, I'm a big fan of Phantasm (it was my dad's suggestion that I watch this) -- the Tall Man is such a badass. I also liked the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if only for pure shock/scary value.

Your dad's a good man, my old man wouldn't know a good movie if it came out of his ass. Phantasm has one of the best scores to ever appear in a horror film, the soundtrack is a must.

Krueger & Chucky are laughable villians. Good films though.

Narzys
28-08-2004, 10:12 PM
What about "Childs Play" ... with our great friend Chucky :icon_surp

Richard
28-08-2004, 10:18 PM
What about "Childs Play" ... with our great friend Chucky :icon_surp

You can find my opinion of the little shit three posts up, and the widely acclaimed thread I made of that several weeks ago. As far as everyone else is concerned, I liked the series. It had style, which is more than what I can say compared to some other down-right horrid films.

Chucky is a "chuck" full of laughs, and Brad Dourif owns. :icon_mod:

I have all four Child's Play films on DVD, it's good for letting the time pass.