PDA

View Full Version : What is your religion?

Martha
27-08-2004, 03:19 PM
delete

barrington
27-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm an atheist because the world and universe around me has never featured anything that wasn't describable by Physics. To bolster this, I have never been supplied with any evidence for the existence of a God to a worship.

Narg
27-08-2004, 03:35 PM
No idea what religion.
No idea about God.
No carefactor about either. Infact the carefactor is at an all time low of "0.0" relating to the subject of religion.

johnnyboy
27-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Skeptic Agnosticism, but actually an atheist, people have tried to force religion on me, and I hate that...

I just dont believe in it, and i think that is because I wasn't brought up with it, I mean, you cant have an open mind about other religions unless you weren't raised with one.

hasselbrad
27-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I was raised a God-less heathen, which is ironic, since my parents both went to church regularly as children. I can vouch for one thing, little to no understanding of the Bible handicapped me in English classes. So much literature references stories from the Bible that everyone was familiar with, except of course, me.
Later in life, I met a minister at a non-denominational church who helped me understand a lot of things more clearly. I trusted him because he had actually been an electrical engineer, and explained things from more of a scientific perspective. Silly as it may sound, there are many things in the Bible that are scientifically true. And, he wasn't the smarmy Southern Baptist preacher that I had been exposed to when I went to church with my cousin in Alabama.
As far as belief goes, I sort of look at it from Paschal's perspective. If you believe, and there is a heaven, then you've won an eternity of bliss. If you believe, and there is no afterlife, then what have you lost. If you don't believe, and there is a hell...then you're there forever.

slimgopey
27-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Orthodox Christian.

DragonRat
27-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Lutheran, but not traditionally hardcore. Also, my beliefs are bolstered by apologetics.

Sarah
27-08-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm a nothing. I'm just alive and I can't be bothered to believe in any religions.

Jacoby
27-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm Christian. I believe in some form of God. My father taught me a 'christian way of life' when I was little and I pretty much follow it as a religion. It's not even about God, it's about putting others before yourself and always helping when you can. If there isn't a God, I won't feel like my life was wasted because I was a good person throughout life. And if there is a God, God and I will definitely drink wine together in the heavens.

Renegade
27-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Catholic. My parents have been Catholics all their lives and decided to raise me to be one too. How fun. I go to sunday mass every week (yes I know, it's a bother). And I went to a catholic school for 8 years(1st-8th grade). My faith kinda shifted when a loved one died, but I still believe in God and all that stuff.

Liam
27-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I was brought up a Catholic and havent seen anything to convince me thats its wrong. I'm hardly what you would call practising though.

Ashley
27-08-2004, 06:13 PM
I was raised Roman Catholic, I'm practicing for the most part

Richard
27-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Catholic. Always have been.

kilyncw
27-08-2004, 06:41 PM
christian. used to be really into religion and stuff but joining the military i found it a slap in the face to God to go to church while my job is essentially to kill.

so i stopped.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_bike_is_quicker_kawasaki_zx_-14_or_suzuki_hayabusa)

NinjaTurtleRocky
27-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I go to sunday mass every week (yes I know, it's a bother). And I went to a catholic school for 8 years(1st-8th grade).

I'm Catholic too, but I don't see how an hour of your time on Sunday is a bother. I wasn't really forced into religion by my parents, it just kinda felt right. I like going to church and helping people. I like helping people when they are having religous problems. I'm not one of those "Harry Potter and all other imaginative stuff is the devi" we should see these things as people using their brain to escape the reality of the crap world we live in, not EVIL. </religous rant>

Azag-ToT
27-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Well... Have you heard something about Necronomicon ? It is also called "The Book of Dead"
That's my religion.

Josher
27-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Jew for life.

hasselbrad
27-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Jew for life.

David Cross does a funny bit about this. I can't remember which album it's on so get 'em both. That is, of course, unless you already have them. :icon_err:

Pinkfairy
27-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Ha. I'm another catholic. Church every sunday...

keira_lover
27-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't have a religion of any kind, nor do I want one. I've been to church a few times but not on my own free will. To me, religion is nothing more than an idea, a concept that people hopelessly grasp onto because they can't deal with the fact that they're alone in this world and they draw comfort from thinking that there is a higher power watching over them.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, you can all believe whatever it is that gives you comfort and makes you feel secure in this world, but I personally think that religion is a steaming, festering, pile of crap and a complete waste of time.

Jacoby
27-08-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm not trying to offend anyone here, you can all believe whatever it is that gives you comfort and makes you feel secure in this world, but I personally think that religion is a steaming, festering, pile of crap and a complete waste of time.

I know what you mean. I'd feel bad for people who dedicate and alter their lives to a God, and if that God didn't actually exist. I don't see my 'form' of religion as bad because I just try to be a nice person. Offline, of course :p. So even if God doesn't exist, it's cool.

gracie
28-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I know what you mean. I'd feel bad for people who dedicate and alter their lives to a God, and if that God didn't actually exist. I don't see my 'form' of religion as bad because I just try to be a nice person. Offline, of course :p. So even if God doesn't exist, it's cool.

Im a Catholic. Pascals Wager- if you believe in God, follow his word and love him and your neighboor- and there is a God, youll go to heaven and live a healthy life on earth. If there isn't what have you lost?

Jacoby
28-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Im a Catholic. Pascals Wager- if you believe in God, follow his word and love him and your neighboor- and there is a God, youll go to heaven and live a healthy life on earth. If there isn't what have you lost?

Some people don't do certain things in their lives because their religion doesn't allow it. I know what you're saying, and it's true. But I was just stating that it would suck if you only got to do certain things in life, because of religion, and that religion ended up falso.

Narg
28-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Well... Have you heard something about Necronomicon ? It is also called "The Book of Dead"
That's my religion.

Dont spose you cut half your arm off with a chainsaw ? :P.

meegaan1
28-08-2004, 02:13 AM
I'm a Mormon, or a Latter-Day Saint. I believe in God and believe in Jesus Christ and my church.

Jacoby
28-08-2004, 03:08 AM
You forgot to put Shintoism on the poll. We can't leave out our samurai KKWers now, can we?

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 03:30 AM
On the same note as jacoby, I failed to see "the way of the ninja" up there for religions. I am deeply hurt.

Kelsey
28-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Baptised Catholic. Practice Kabballah.

Lil' Lady Chaz
28-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I believe in god and jesus, I have a mate who is a Jehovah Witness, and I love studying other ppl religions

rabbit
28-08-2004, 11:15 PM
i'm a christian but i'm not very religious. i'm mroe of an athiest really. i too love studyin other religions tho, and scientific explanations. but i have nothing against people who are deeply religious. Thats a feat of its own i think. I've become more interested in Buddhism tho, which is more philosophical.

deviljet88
29-08-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm not baptised, but I'm probably leaning on the Christian side because I go to a Jesuit school. Currently though, I'm happy just leaving all deities alone.

zaphod_beeblebrox
29-08-2004, 06:04 AM
well i guess it would have to be the force definitly the force rules

mad_alfred
29-08-2004, 12:47 PM
still haven't been baptized! lol

Azag-ToT
29-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Hey people , there are Orthodox Christians, Catholics, those who
belive in Budda and many others, but all religions are the same in
fact. The all teach mankind to be obedient. For centuries religion
was a tool in the hands of allmighty people.Faith advanced to a
great mind controlling mashine that enslaved the whole world. Pagan
religions tought people to love each other to respect the family and
to develop our spirit. Modern religions were tied on
with sword and fire. Just take a look on a modern society. Great
tension in all parts of life , full loss of spirituality. Sex and
wealth - everyone dreams to have much money and sex. What does the
church do ? NOTHING! They say - Love each other, no abortions, no
human cloning , leave in peace . And we all think that it's okay.
Fuck this all ! It's more easy to control the world when nobody
resists. Sex , drugs and violence - there is no power in the world
that is interested enough to change this circle of filth. It's only
the illusion- everyone is egoist more or less. After every action we
do we expect some profit. This is the influence of modern
upbringing. It is too late for any religion to correct the
situation.

alby
03-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I worship the religion of money -- the almighty dollar. :kidding:

But on a more serious note, I'm an atheist. I don't subscribe to the notion that you need religion to be a moral person -- to do the right thing.

My older sister's birthday is today. Traveling. :)

Moe
04-09-2004, 06:40 AM
I'm a paper catholic.

Straker
04-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I was Catholic... until I reached the age of reason.

Now, I'm pretty much an atheist.

DefyingGravity
04-09-2004, 07:50 PM
That's my religion.

You're dabbling in some dangerous shit you idiot, and if I were atheist I would still say the same thing. Have you tried anything from that book? Oh well. Suit yourself.

Straker
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
The Necronomicon? Please don't tell me you believe in shit like that.
I own a copy (because I'm a freak and interested in the Occult and magick) and let me tell you, things like the Necronomicon are the epitome of bullshit. I'm not denying magick is bullshit, which it most likely is, but the Necronomicon is. In fact, the only thing that book has that's... well, not BS, is it's description of Marduk as the head Babylonian god.

CFC
04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I use to go to church every sunday because the parents made me. Now I only go twice a year to please my parents. Since I don't really believe in God I voted for the force.

DefyingGravity
04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
I own a copy (because I'm a freak and interested in the Occult and magick) and let me tell you, things like the Necronomicon are the epitome of bullshit. I'm not denying magick is bullshit, which it most likely is, but the Necronomicon is. In fact, the only thing that book has that's... well, not BS, is it's description of Marduk as the head Babylonian god.

Most of the Necronomicon copies aren't the full version.

Straker
04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Oh, I know... that's why I played pirate and got a full copy off of Kazaa, before downloading went down the tubes with another sect of BS: the law. I still think its BS... in fact, they even have a book out *countering* the Necronomicon.

But, just to make conversation, since you brought it up... what would the difference in BS be between the complete copy, and the non-complete copy you're talking about? Are the people who buy the abridged version getting screwed, as in they can't perform any magick from it as opposed to the complete version? Do you know what I'm talking about?

The Black Rider
04-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I was raised as an Episcopalian (branch of Protestantism) but I myself am a Unitarian Universalist. I believe in God and Jesus and The Holy Spirit but I reject Christian fundamentalism in all its forms. I know that there is a Higher Power and nothing will convince me otherwise but seeing as it's been written by several different writers, I am skeptical that we are supposed to take the Bible word for word, although I do believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

So that's it in a nutshell I suppose.

aznkkfan
05-09-2004, 12:00 AM
atheist, even though my dad has a little figure of buddha in his car.

DefyingGravity
05-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Oh, I know... that's why I played pirate and got a full copy off of Kazaa, before downloading went down the tubes with another sect of BS: the law. I still think its BS... in fact, they even have a book out *countering* the Necronomicon.

But, just to make conversation, since you brought it up... what would the difference in BS be between the complete copy, and the non-complete copy you're talking about? Are the people who buy the abridged version getting screwed, as in they can't perform any magick from it as opposed to the complete version? Do you know what I'm talking about?

John Doe, please do not speak to me as if I were a child, as I am not.

I do know what you are talking about, but it seems as though you don't. By all means, continue to be skeptical of dangers which you know nothing about.

Straker
05-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Ooo, I dont know what i is saying!

First, let me make it clear that I asked if you understood, because I was unsure if my point was made clear, due to illwording or such. When I talk to you as though you were a child, you’ll probably know it.

Second, there are no powers in it, in my opinion. I've heard stories from a Wiccan friend about how her and a friend were trying something from it, and an overwhelming fear came over them, that they couldn't explain. It's the same thing as a Quiji board: the amazing, incredible, and undeniable... power of suggestion. ;)

Spartakus
05-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Typically,Greek Orthodox of the Eastern Orthodox church.Trully,i respect Jesus's teaching but i do not feel that i can be call faithfull.There are some things that i do not feel comfortable with.I mostly follow Ancient Hellenic philosophy .

Azag-ToT
05-09-2004, 07:05 PM
I own a copy (because I'm a freak and interested in the Occult and magick) and let me tell you, things like the Necronomicon are the epitome of bullshit.
Oh man ... What is you copy ? Something by H.P.Lovecraft - that is shit, I know. I was looking for the text closed to origin for 2 years. I found it. Simple rituals really work ( but there are not simle in fact ), belive me. I've been practiced this art for a long time, and I had success.
I Do Not belive it those gods because I know who are they- just people who succeeded in this art. The real book is like a bible- it makes you wise.

Moe
05-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I do know what you are talking about, but it seems as though you don't. By all means, continue to be skeptical of dangers which you know nothing about.

Kids, get off the drugs, willya? I can accept people believing in higher beings, whatever they may be, and that most religions have rituals which serve certain purposes. But to be scared of a book is beyond ludicrous. That's like being afraid to say the "Ave Maria" from the bible and expecting to summon god knows what.
Even though this is shown in about a million movies and pretty much every single fantasy game, reading from a book will not produce any supernatural effects whatsoever. Psychological effects, yeah, but nothing more.

seventhson
06-09-2004, 03:31 AM
I am Christian.
May God bless you all abundantly.

Peace,
SeventhSon

barrington
17-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Jew for life.
Not just for christmas.

Louie
17-09-2004, 09:23 PM
My parents are Christian, which makes me Christian.

Ashlyn
18-09-2004, 04:22 AM
My family didn't bring me up in any particular religion, my parents decided to let me choose what I wanted to do when I was old enough to pick for myself. I've done religous education at school all along so I guess if I was anything I'd be some sort of Christian becuase that's the one I know most about.