PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...

hasselbrad
26-08-2004, 10:22 PM
...had to give up something you really loved doing? I mean an activity that was a big part of your life, but then for some reason or another, you were forced to quit.
Mine was American football. I had to give it up because of multiple concussions. I played on the line, and my coaches started getting concerned when they noticed me missing assignments and not seeming to know where I was supposed to be during games. I went and saw a neurologist, and he said that if I continued to play, I was at risk for serious injury.
Luckily, other than a little memory loss, I managed to come out of it alright.
That reminds me, have any of you ever had to give something up... :kidding:
I know, what a pitiful sob story...I can hear the violins. I guess I feel lucky in a way though. My parents have a friend whose son committed suicide when some asshole doctor told him that he'd never play baseball again. I say asshole doctor, because the guy was really callous about it and it was this kid's dream to play in the major leagues. He probably had the talent to do it, too. I never had those kinds of aspirations, so I guess it wasn't as much of a blow. I had Division 3 talent on my best day.

Spire
26-08-2004, 10:46 PM
No, not yet. I fear that one day I may have to give up videogames for some reason (marriage, more than likely) but who knows. Maybe I'll find a female nerd, that would be great. (I'm such a loser...) :icon_surp

Jacoby
26-08-2004, 11:15 PM
No, not yet. I fear that one day I may have to give up videogames for some reason (marriage, more than likely) but who knows. Maybe I'll find a female nerd, that would be great. (I'm such a loser...) :icon_surp

Most girls I've met don't care about videogaming...They aren't the shallow annoying ones. But you have to show them attention and blah.....

That's pretty sad about that baseball player killing himself. :/
I'm fortunate enough to still have everything I love. Hopefully I don't have to give up my movie collection or my laptop anytime soon.

frodo1511
26-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I still have everything I love to do: Golf, Soccer(although not as much as I use to, since the cut-off age here at the Base is 9th grade, but, with my size, I can still pass for one:) Videogames(most likely wont give that one up, at least until I get married), oh, and being able to hang out with my friends(going to the newest movie every weekend, sleep-overs, and dragracing late at night, it never gets old)

Dyce_Blue
26-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Has anyone seen the episode of Seinfeld, when Jerry, Cramer, Elaine, and George set up a little bet...

The winner of the streak was the one who went the longest without __________.

I too have a streak of my own, but not a mere week like they made it. I'm talking 59 days and counting...

Richard
26-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I haven't given up a lot of things. But most recent would be being on my school's Golf Team... we suck anyway so I'm not missing much.

For some reason, (I think it's my love for films) that I gave up video games very quickly. I used to play them daily, but now... everything is just packed away. What a waste of money, I'm not buying my kids nothing. :icon_redf

deviljet88
27-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Going to have to give up using the computer too much if I want to pass my end of year exams for the next few years.

CFC
27-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah. Football(soccer) I played all the time and I was alright. Since I was a bigger guy everybody thought I should play Football(American) in High School which I did. I hated it but played for 4 years anyway.

Liam
27-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Sort of.

I was the goalkeeper for my regional football side for 6 years; and had the best record of the keepers in the competition. Unfortunately high school finals arrived and I had to give it up.
The sad thing is I needn't have given it up at all. I'm not the type to sit down and pore over books for hours so I found I had a lot of free time. My friend loaned me his Quake CD...the rest is history.

kilyncw
27-08-2004, 01:34 PM
i had to give up soccer my senior year because of illness, if i got hit in the splean it would explode an d kill, so i joined the marine corps (stupid, stupid, stupid). yeah so how about giving up your LIFE.
________
LESBIAN VID (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/26/lesbian/videos/1)

EmotionSickness
27-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Haha, so many of us have had to give up soccer (err ... football). So sad.

Myself, I had to give soccer the boot in tenth grade, simply because I could not be a member of my high school's dance/drill team and play a sport at the same time. It really was a tough decision to make, as I absolutely adored playing soccer (I've played since I was three), but I'm a dancer at heart. Luckily, I never regretted my decision.

Sarah
27-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I gave up playing the flute. Simple because I'm a quitter.

Narzys
27-08-2004, 02:57 PM
I gave up playing Hockey (not Ice), because I had a terrible team. They burned each other to the ground if made a mistake. It wasn't much fun anymore.

Further I didn't give up very much which I liked. I can't think of reasons why I should do that??

Ashley
27-08-2004, 05:22 PM
I gave up basketball which I loved because I had multiple surgeries. I got over it. I still play for fun, just not on a real team.

hasselbrad
27-08-2004, 09:40 PM
i had to give up soccer my senior year because of illness, if i got hit in the splean it would explode an d kill, so i joined the marine corps (stupid, stupid, stupid). yeah so how about giving up your LIFE.

I had a friend that ruptured his spleen going over the fence after a fly-ball. Yikes!

DefyingGravity
28-08-2004, 12:21 AM
I haven't given up a lot of things. But most recent would be being on my school's Golf Team... we suck anyway so I'm not missing much.

For some reason, (I think it's my love for films) that I gave up video games very quickly. I used to play them daily, but now... everything is just packed away. What a waste of money, I'm not buying my kids nothing. :icon_redf

You AREN'T buying your kids ANYTHING. Double negatives make a positive. :icon_mod:

I've only had to give up looking at him every day... seeing him smile... hearing him laugh... the occassional time he would wave at me... he graduated and I haven't seen him in months, and I don't know if I ever will again.

Are you in tears yet?

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Are you in tears yet?

Nope, should I be?

Anyway, I had to just give up going to a friend's church's lock-in this evening (got grounded, long story), but that's been the first thing in a while that I've had to give up.

Jacoby
28-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Nope, should I be?

Anyway, I had to just give up going to a friend's church's lock-in this evening (got grounded, long story), but that's been the first thing in a while that I've had to give up.

That sucks, man. You could be playing 16 people Halo free for alls.

I gave up Halo for a while because my friend was such a douche about it. It wasn't that big of a lose. I'll be back for Halo 2, though.

frodo1511
28-08-2004, 01:27 AM
That sucks, man. You could be playing 16 people Halo free for alls.

I gave up Halo for a while because my friend was such a douche about it. It wasn't that big of a lose. I'll be back for Halo 2, though.

I could, but get this:

It's a "family thing" so no M-rated games (very jooish) and, the only system allowed there is a fucking PLAYSTATION2. How gay is that? (btw, If I went, I would bring my system,and three of my friends who are going, would also bring their system, controllers and 17-in. plasma screens. I feel so alone now...

Yup, counting the days to Halo 2, and I STILL need to preorder it(lazy sob)

Elijahfan
28-08-2004, 04:37 PM
i wont ever give up halo, even though i suck at it, but i rearly get to play for 9 months, school year, because i dont know anyone who'd want to play. my brother and cousin both go off to college and when my brother is back he doesnt want to play. so basically when i get halo 2, i'll be going at it alone. it's really depressing so i just distract myself with horrible tv shows.

i think one day i'll have to give up my dream of working in movie production, and my movie obession. i just love movies and everything about that, i buy about at least one dvd every two weeks, but i'll have to stop that soon since i have no job and school work will become harder. i fear that i'll end up in some cubicle, god forbid, and everything will go down hill from there.