PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics: A scientific analysis

Liam
26-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes, I know there is another olympics thread, but its mainly pointless bickering. This however is scientific proof that just because you have a swag of gold medals, you arent the best sporting nation.

Good on Australia. 3rd place on the gold tally.

I like to look at things mathematically. For instance, Australia has a population of 19 million. The USA has a population of nigh on 300 million (297 million, but who's counting).
The USA has 25 gold. We have 16. (Day 12)

Now after a little simple maths, we can work out that this is roughly 1 gold per 1.26 million Australians. Conversely, there is 1 gold per 12 million Americans.

Using this alternative model for medal tallies, Australia are ranked 2nd in the world, behind the Bahamas who have 1 gold per 317,000 population. The top 5 countries are:

1. Bahamas
2. Australia
3. Greece
4. New Zealand
5. Norway

Some positions of other olympic powerhouses:

29. Japan
30. Germany
31. Russia
34. United States
46. China

Interesting.
Naturally, larger populations equates to more sporting funds, a bigger pool to draw athletes from and a much larger olympic team. Perhaps this model should be adopted in the interests of fairness? Discuss.

PhoeniX
26-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Thats a good point, does this mean that so far The Bahamas are the best?

MarkOB
26-08-2004, 08:35 PM
What you've got to remember is that whilst America may have 1 gold per 12 million people, many of those 12 million are overweight and unfit and won't play sport at all.

AND... America can't exactly send millions of athletes to the Olympics, too!

Jacoby
26-08-2004, 08:43 PM
What you've got to remember is that whilst America may have 1 gold per 12 million people, many of those 12 million are overweight and unfit and won't play sport at all.

AND... America can't exactly send millions of athletes to the Olympics, too!

Will you shut the fuck up already, dumbass? This thread wasn't made to trash talk America.

As for the main topic, it does make sense a bit, but I wouldn't have it. Being American, and all. I like it the way it is. :)

MarkOB
26-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Will you shut the fuck up already, dumbass? This thread wasn't made to trash talk America.

As for the main topic, it does make sense a bit, but I wouldn't have it. Being American, and all. I like it the way it is. :)

Hold on. Hold on. I wasn't just talking about America. I was talking about all western countries plagued by the curse of Ronald McDonald.

Jacoby
26-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Hold on. Hold on. I wasn't just talking about America. I was talking about all western countries plagued by the curse of Ronald McDonald.

OK, fine, whatever. I'd like to point out that majority of US if Overweight, not fat. There's a difference. It's considered overweight when you're 6 feet tall and 175 pounds, which is not fat. Not singling you out, Mark, I'm just pointing it out. That said, continue the conversation of olympic mathematics.

hasselbrad
26-08-2004, 09:50 PM
...a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Olympics aren't as big a deal here. Call it arrogance, but kids in America aren't really all that concerned with the Olympics.
Sports like swimming and track and field aren't the kind of big draws here because of football (our ass-kicking style), baseball and basketball. Most guys who run track are wide receivers and running backs on the football team. The shot put and discus fellas are the ones blocking for them.
Boxing analysts in the U.S. have long held the belief that the next great heavyweight champion of the world is playing high school football somewhere.
I am fully aware that baseball and basketball are Olympic sports, but the reality of the situation is that kids in this country don't really aim their whole lives for a shot at the Olympics. Kids involved in these sports over here are much more focused on making it in the pros.
And, in light of our basketball team's dismal performance, know this.
There are two teams playing each other at a Harlem playground right now, that could beat any team in the world. Trust me. :)

meegaan1
27-08-2004, 04:28 AM
. The top 5 countries are:

1. Bahamas
2. Australia
3. Greece
4. New Zealand
5. Norway

Funny how you listed Greece and its only won two medals that I'm aware of. If this info is wrong, I got it from CNN. Blame those bastards.

deviljet88
27-08-2004, 08:49 AM
China's not exactly a 1st world country is it? I mean just because they've got heaps of people, it doesn't mean you win gold, just have a higher chance of having a champion. You don't see India doing too well in the Olympics. Plus, Australia has funds large amounts of money to the Australian Institute of Sport while other countries couldn't give less of a shit about sport. And I'm pretty sure you're wrong about Greece...

Liam
27-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Funny how you listed Greece and its only won two medals that I'm aware of. If this info is wrong, I got it from CNN. Blame those bastards.

Its relative to its population. Greece has a comparitively small population.

Edit:
...a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Olympics aren't as big a deal here. Call it arrogance, but kids in America aren't really all that concerned with the Olympics.

Don't give me that, look how stirred up all the American kids on here got :)

hasselbrad
27-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Don't give me that, look how stirred up all the American kids on here got :)

Alls I'm sayin' is if there was a truck an' tractor pull involved...or maybe some pro-wrasslin' 'stead of that ol' sissy stuff...we'd be a whole lot more innersted.

(Dammit...once again, I need a redneck smilie)

Jacoby
27-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Alls I'm sayin' is if there was a truck an' tractor pull involved...or maybe some pro-wrasslin' 'stead of that ol' sissy stuff...we'd be a whole lot more innersted.

(Dammit...once again, I need a redneck smilie)

We're not all from the South. :p I know a lot of kids that are interested in the Olympics here.

michael22
31-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Try canada, our funds are almost nil, fencing especially, All the world class ones here are nigh broke or mooching off their parents. Then again our popullaton is not that large.