PDA

View Full Version : Legal ages for drinking, gambling, driving etc...

ChocolateMoose
17-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I wondered what the legal ages for things such as drinking alcohol, driving, smoking, sex, gambling, the lottery etc are in different counties. Also, what do people think about them (i.e. too young/old) for both the country you live in and others.

So, I'll start. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

United Kingdom

Alcohol - 18
Driving - 17
Smoking - 16
Sex - 16
Gambling - 18
The Lottery - 16

I know that in America different states have different laws, so please let us know where your from if American! Oh, by the way, what is the legal age at which people can be executed in the US?

AureaMediocritas
17-08-2004, 04:00 PM
In my humble and rather unknown country, the following is legally granted :

Alcohol : 16 (although I got some at the age of 13 already :/)
Driving :17 ;if you are accompanied by your parents , otherwise 18
Smoking : 18 (but no one really cares ; kids aged 12 can easily buy cigarettes)
Sex : 15
Gambling : 18
The Lottery : 18

CFC
17-08-2004, 04:38 PM
USA (North Carolina)
Alcohol - 21
Driving - 16
Smoking - 18
Sex - 16
Gambling - 21(18 in some places I think)
The Lottery - 18

I think that the drinking one is kinda F'ed up because I can be drafted at 18 and go to war but I can't have a beer.

ChocolateMoose
17-08-2004, 04:40 PM
[B]I think that the drinking one is kinda F'ed up because I can be drafted at 18 and go to war but I can't have a beer.

Woah, thats bad. I do think that the American law on drinking is way too high. I think most countries have it at around 18...wonder why America's law is so harsh?!

CFC
17-08-2004, 04:47 PM
I think the age is so high because thier goal was to keep it out of schools, but that failed because buying alcohol here is not very hard for somebody underage.

The age was 18, I can't remember when they changed it.

Narzys
17-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Netherlands: Some of them are not official...

Alcohol - 14
Driving - 18
Smoking - 16
Sex - 14
(soft) Drugs - 16
The Lottery - 18

:D

Sarah
17-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Sex - 14

Jesus! No one is emotionally ready for sex at that age!

Knardes
17-08-2004, 06:30 PM

i agree, but i actually know alot of 14 year olds that have had sex. shocking :icon_surp

Alcohol - 14 Driving-18 i don't agree with the drinking age being lower than the driving age, it just doesn't make sense that you're allowed to drink before you are allowed to drive...but that's just me.

ryan
17-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Sex in the US depends on what state you're in. It varies a lot.

IeatDogs
17-08-2004, 08:21 PM
The Garden State(New Jersey)

Driving 17
Drinking 21
Gambling 21
Sex? No age limit unless you're over 18 and then your partner has to be over 18

The driving age is a joke and I think you should be able to drink and gamble when you're 18.

Narzys
17-08-2004, 08:53 PM

Think you're right, but there is no official age you have to be here, and at 14 some of the people start with explore this terain. But I would actually change it to 16.... that's a more real shot of it, I guess....

but some people start early...

Hazzle
17-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Age limits are way too high...pick one age at which someone becomes an adult (I nominate 16) and just leave that as the benchmark for everything...otherwise it's fucking stupid. You can have sex at 16 in the UK but can't drink...so in essence you can legally decide to have a kid, but not have a drink...how stupid is that? Which is the bigger commitment?

Pick an age...16...18...21...or even 14...whatever takes your fancy...but stick to it for everything.

frodo1511
17-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Age limits are way too high...pick one age at which someone becomes an adult (I nominate 16) and just leave that as the benchmark for everything...otherwise it's fucking stupid. You can have sex at 16 in the UK but can't drink...so in essence you can legally decide to have a kid, but not have a drink...how stupid is that? Which is the bigger commitment?

Pick an age...16...18...21...or even 14...whatever takes your fancy...but stick to it for everything.

Agreed. I hate how you can get your driver's liscense here at 16, but can't drink/alcohol/smoke(not that I would or anything) I just find that unfair to gain one important responsibility, but must wait a couple more years for the rest.

Kelsey
18-08-2004, 01:56 AM
California

Drinking - 21
Driving - 15.5 for permit, 16 for liscence
Smoking - 18
Gambling - 21
Sex - 18
Drugs - always illegal

who cares though....i've done all of those.

aznkkfan
18-08-2004, 02:51 AM
i kno some people who had sex when they were 13. the middle schools in where i live take us on a week long study in new hampshire or connecticut. there's a big rumor that some ppl go into the woods at night and have sex. :icon_surp and there's a grl in my grade who had to drop out of school because she got pregnant

Nick
18-08-2004, 08:26 AM
United States (Oregon)

Alcohol: 21, although if you are on private property and a legal guardian is on the premises than they can provide you with alcohol even if you are under age. You can also have alcohol when you're under 21, or even drugs for that matter, if it is for religious purposes (for example the Catholics drink wine for communion).

Voting: 18

Driving: 15 for permit and 16 for license (although they have made it harder for 16 year olds to get their license over the past couple years, I think they're trying to get it to where the driving age is 18.)

Smoking: 18

Gambling/Lottery: 18

Sex: I don't think there is any specific age, but if you are over 15 and have sex with someone younger you can be convicted for statutory rape.

Drugs: Illegal for all ages unless, as I said before, it is for religious purposes.

Join Military by choice or get drafted:18

Owning a hand gun: I believe you have to be 21. In my opinion this is even more idiotic than the drinking age because what kind of weapon do they issue soldiers as a side arm in the military? hhhmmmm Gee I believe it's a hand gun, and I can join the military right now if I wanted to. So why the hell can't I buy a hand gun. (Oh by the way you are aloud to buy a rifle or shot gun when you're 18.)

ChocolateMoose
18-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Ooh, I forgot voting. In the UK thats 18. The military ages depend on what job you do, some are 17 but combat is 18. I think...

Hazzle
18-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah voting always baffled...me you can vote at 18...which is a big decision...but you can have a child (legally speaking...of course biologically you can have a kid well before) at 16...for me a much bigger decision...you can get married at 16 (although you do need parental permission)...

It's just silly having multiple ages for different things...we just need to set a benchmark of what constitutes an "adult"...as an "adult" you can do anything that's otherwise legal (so not drugs, of course). As a minor you can do none of the restricted acts (not smoking, drinking, voting, driving...none of it). It's just so much simpler and makes so much more logical sense...as an adult you're given more freedom...as a child you're restricted.

kilyncw
18-08-2004, 12:41 PM
there's actually a set age where its legal to have sex. i've never heard of that haha. i alway knew if you were 18+ in age it was illegal to have sex with someone under 16 or something like that.

but in pennsylvania you get your driver's permit when you turn 16 but must wait 6th months before you can get your liscense. it is the gayest thing ever.

drinking anywhere is u.s. is 21
and i stand by my thoughts that it is legal to smoke at any age you just can't buy cigarettes til you are 18.
________
LESBIAN HARDCORE (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/731/hardcore/videos/1)

Hazzle
18-08-2004, 12:50 PM
We just have an age of consent...below which it's presumed the person couldn't have consented and is thus rape, though I don't think we actually use the term statutory rape in the UK.

As for smoking...you're technically right...it's legal to drink below 18 in the UK...it's legal to smoke below 16 in the UK...it's simply illegal to be sold them below those ages...yes...it's not illegal to buy them, for you, it's illegal for the shopkeeper to sell them...since we're being precise and all ;)

hasselbrad
18-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Age of consent differs here from state to state. Drinking age used to vary, but our Imperial Federal Government quashed that through withholding funds for highways. You may still be able to drink at 18 in New Orleans, although it's been so long since that even concerned me, that I am no longer sure. When I was a lad of less than 21, New Orleans was the only place that I could buy my own drinks...not that I ever let that stop me.