PDA

View Full Version : Avp

CFC
14-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I saw Alien vs Predator this afternoon with some friends. The tag-line for this movie is: Whoever wins........We lose.

This is accurate because we(my friends and I) lost our money watching this crap festival. Really I thought the movie was awesome until about halfway through when it just started to go down to toilet.

Hazzle
14-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Hate to say I told you so but I predicted it'd be shit...hoped it wouldn't...but something about the trailers didn't impress :(

Thanks for saving me some money :p

CFC
14-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Predator was still awesome.

If anybody really wants to know why I thought it was shot to shit PM me. I don't wanna spoil it for anybody who might be going to see it.

Richard
14-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Many people thought this film was shit, or going to be shit. After seeing the trailer, something just wasn't done right... perhaps it was Sir Paul W.S. Anderson (soon to be Mrs. Milla Jovovich, fucker) ...you know...many people want him dead...now that's harsh. :icon_err:

I haven't seen it, I probably won't until it's released onto DVD. Many hardcore fans were waiting a long time for this film, it doesn't look too good.

Oh, it's Predators...all the way. Aliens don't have weapons.

Predator was still awesome.

Glad to know. Usually they tend to upgrade the creatures with more features. Hate it when they do that.

Hazzle
14-08-2004, 11:16 PM
I like Anderson's work though...Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat...the man's done well at game to film conversions. Event Horizon was pretty good too.

keira_lover
14-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I like Anderson's work though...Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat...the man's done well at game to film conversions. Event Horizon was pretty good too.

Resident Evil? are you fucking shitting me? that movie was complete shit. The ONLY thing it had in common with the game was the fact that a virus was released by Umbrella that causes humans to turn to zombies. Other than that it bears no resemblance to the game. The characters were different, the setting was different (underground lab with a hologram of a little girl controling everything, come on), also the director totally missed out on the most important aspect of the series, the mood. Not to mention lame plot, crappy acting, and zombies that made guys with white bed sheets drapped over them look scarier and more realistic by comparison. I would rather pour tobasco sause in my eyes and then flush it out with hydrogen peroxide than watch this poor excuse for a movie over again. LITERALLY!

Richard
14-08-2004, 11:46 PM

I agree. I think I've seen most of his work, and was amused by them. Mortal Kombat is probably his best... but I haven't seen Event Horizon lately.

Resident Evil? are you fucking shitting me? that movie was complete shit. The ONLY thing it had in common with the game was the fact that a virus was released by Umbrella that causes humans to turn to zombies. Other than that it bears no resemblance to the game. The characters were different, the setting was different (underground lab with a hologram of a little girl controling everything, come on), also the director totally missed out on the most important aspect of the series, the mood. Not to mention lame plot, crappy acting, and zombies that made guys with white bed sheets drapped over them look scarier and more realistic by comparison. I would rather pour tobasco sause in my eyes and then flush it out with hydrogen peroxide than watch this poor excuse for a movie over again. LITERALLY!

I had that exact same response when I first saw the movie, and there are reasons behind why the movie was made the way it was, reasons I still don't agree with. But now I've come to take more liking into the film because of my future wife... you... you... do like Milla right? :icon_redf

Sorry to steer off-topic... again. I just had to say something. Commence to AvP.

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Resident Evil? are you fucking shitting me? that movie was complete shit. The ONLY thing it had in common with the game

And that's where you fall down. It's not supposed to be a bloody remake of the game...it's supposed to be good fun...and it was...thrills and spills be the point of a game-film conversion, the very point missed by the Street Fighter film which tried to...use a PLOT?!?

That said AVP still looks shit :D

keira_lover
15-08-2004, 12:28 AM
And that's where you fall down. It's not supposed to be a bloody remake of the game...it's supposed to be good fun... :D

Good fun? I'd call a pack of rabid badgers systematically attacking my nutsack good fun before I ever call that complete disgrace of a movie good fun.

frodo1511
15-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah, thought RE was a very decent movie/game translation, WAY BETTER than Tomb Raider. Even though it's based of a game that is 30% shooting, 70% adventure/ getting the piss scared out of you, it was still a great translation from the big screen to the little screen.
I'm going to see AVP tommorow evening, but I'm only seeing it for the special effects(i.e. the aliens/predators) This is the only case that I'm seeing a summer movie, or movie in general, where I don't give a shit about the plot/ characters.

Days_of_Flesh
15-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Once again, a concept with great potential desecrated by the Hollywood production machine.

Anyone who knows about the biz is not surprised by the amount of crap they put out, given that the producers--the narcissistic gods in charge--are a bunch of middle to late aged men who assume their opinions of what is great/funny/moving/intelligent are irrefutable.

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Good fun? I'd call a pack of rabid badgers systematically attacking my nutsack good fun before I ever call that complete disgrace of a movie good fun.

You need help...

Snoug
15-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I think ill go see it tonight. There has not been a movie in that kind of genre for awhile and will be a change. Ill let you guys know what i thought of it. To see a movie here is like 5 bucks so im not complaining. Sit down have some popcorn. Mmm mmm :)

Spire
15-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Paul Anderson is a horrible director. He hasn't directed a good movie yet. Now, I will admit I enjoyed Resident Evil, but that is simply because I'm a big fan of the games, I realize RE is a flaming piece of celluloid shit artistically, but I still enjoyed most of it.

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Paul Anderson is a horrible director. He hasn't directed a good movie yet. Now, I will admit I enjoyed Resident Evil, but that is simply because I'm a big fan of the games, I realize RE is a flaming piece of celluloid shit artistically, but I still enjoyed most of it.

:icon_roll It's like people who think X-2 was a good comic book film...look people...cliche and tackiness are SUPPOSED to be part of a game-film conversion...silly...Mortal Kombat is a bloody classic of the genre...directed by Mr Anderson (arrr...now there's a nifty coincidence)

Snoug
16-08-2004, 01:33 AM
I saw AVP today I thought it was GREAT. Had some good ideas and executed some very great scenes. The special effects were pretty good. Over all I loved the movie.

I will buy it on DVD. Was one of my favorite movies ive seen in awhile. Though King Arthur was better.

Spire
16-08-2004, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=Hazzle]cliche and tackiness are SUPPOSED to be part of a game-film conversion...QUOTE]

But they don't have to be. I don't want my game-movies to be tacky and cliched, I want them to be good. For some movies, I might understand, like Mortal Kombat, Double Dragon, and Street Fighter. But Resident Evil has a pretty good plot in the game, and the movie could have been really intelligent.

frodo1511
17-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Just saw the movie yesterday night, and thought it was a decent popcorn flick. The graphics were awesome(and to believe Fox was going to delay the movie on the account that they wern't finished, for shame) On the negative, I thought that the ending was rushed, and that the movie needed another 30 minutes of alien-on-predator action.
...wait, not that kind of action... :icon_redf

Hazzle
17-08-2004, 08:40 PM
cliche and tackiness are SUPPOSED to be part of a game-film conversion...

But they don't have to be. I don't want my game-movies to be tacky and cliched, I want them to be good. For some movies, I might understand, like Mortal Kombat, Double Dragon, and Street Fighter. But Resident Evil has a pretty good plot in the game, and the movie could have been really intelligent.

But it wouldn't have been as fun then...the purpose of a film based on a game is to be purely fun and escapist, not serious and brooding like the mood in the game is...

Anyway...OFF TOPIC :p Focus on AvP now...a little discussion of Anderson's work is one thing, but this is really going towards purely RE...which can be discussed in its own thread if you like

alby
18-08-2004, 08:16 AM
I saw AvP and thank God for free movie passes -- even still, I wasted a completely good movie pass, courtesy of old high school chums. AvP is probably The Postman of the summer. It's one of those sci fi/action films where you hope every cast member dies a quick, horrible death so you don't have to endure any more of the film's nonsense.

:icon_lol: Oh man.

I agree. Resident Evil was a terrible film.