PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Kelsey
14-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Discuss the Olympics here. What did you think of the opening ceremony? Which country(s) are you rooting for, and why?

I had to work and unfortunatly couldn't watch the opening ceremonies, which sucked because I didn't even Tivo it. And I'll be rooting for the United States, first and foremost, because I live there (especially the women's soccer/football team because it has all of my favorite players on it and this is their last big game, and my cousin played for the San Diego team and many of the U.S. players are her teammates.) And secondly, I would like to see Portugal do well (because I speak Portugeuse and I live in huge portuguese-populated area, just so that is clear, because it wasn't last time:)) But with these kind of things, I like to see anyone do well. As they start telling the athlete's backstory and you get to know each one more, I end up rooting for the person more than whatever country they are from. Anyways, more to discuss once I actually watch some of it.

Sarah
14-08-2004, 06:01 PM
I rooting for team GB. I want Tim Henman to win in ANYTHING he's doing (is he actually doing anything!?) Because he's never won and he deserves to.

acliff
14-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, 4 days of olympic taekwondo starting on the 26th of August. Watch or be squashed. Doesn't rhyme, shut up.

frodo1511
14-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Meh, opening ceramonies were ok, I did like all the people that looked like statues, the looked so "real"(sorry for the pun:)
However, I didn't like the lighting of the flame, how the cauldron looked like a giant cigarette! Nothing can compare with Sydney's of '00. I LOVED how somebody shot a flaming arrow 300 feet into the air to ignite the cauldron, pure excitement.
Anywho, I will most likely go for the US in whatever they are playing, but I am excited to see how Iraq does for soccer(hey, they beat Portugal)

Mags
14-08-2004, 06:48 PM
....I'm rooting for Australia.

Opening ceremonies were bizarre...the huge "Cauldron" as they liked to call it looked like nothing except an exceptionally long cigarette. For serious.

Go Australia!

duckula
14-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Opening ceremonies: A groaning morass of shit.

I love the olympics since I can watch practically any sport.

Really looking to watch some hockey, judo (IPPON!!!), TKD, ladies beach volleyball (hey there pretty ladies), fencing (swords=awesome), shooting (guns=awesomer), boxing and basically whatever else is on.

PhoeniX
14-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Could someone please explain the scoring for Judo to me?

duckula
14-08-2004, 08:50 PM
There are some points for stuff. Then Ippon, which is a knockout type maneuver and must be greeted with shouts of IPPPPPPPPPPPPPPON!!!!!!!! by those watching.

Hazzle
14-08-2004, 10:06 PM
The whole thing is marginally more interesting than being raped by an Orang-Utan.

acliff
14-08-2004, 10:41 PM
The whole thing is marginally more interesting than being raped by an Orang-Utan.

So for you it is the highlight of your day

Hazzle
14-08-2004, 11:18 PM
So for you it is the highlight of your day

Nahh...being raped by the Gorilla is OH so much more fun ;)

On a serious note...football...cricket...Olympics...it comes in a very poor third in the sports coverage stakes. This test match is a lot closer and more dramatic...and the Prem's starting...so the Olympics are unlikely to be watched much...and I've not got much time as I'm SUPPOSED to be revising too but...err...clearly am not right now :icon_err:

bryan
14-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Are any of the NBC broadcasts actually live? I remember a time when they refused to air the ten seconds of the 100m sprint when it happened. All those interested had to watch it the next day.
As for the Premiership starting, us poor souls stranded in America will have to settle for internet commentaries and digital cable, which is way too expensive.

Kelsey
15-08-2004, 12:13 AM
My new favorite sport is beach volleyball. I've only seen the Norway/USA match and Norway is my favorite team for that sport so far. Also looking forward to seeing Michael Phelps race tonight, and Brendan Hansen.

alby
15-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Discuss the Olympics here. What did you think of the opening ceremony? Which country(s) are you rooting for, and why?

The past opening ceremonies were much better in my opinion.

deviljet88
15-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Whooo Australian Number 17 seeds beat the American pair today! I think Seven (The Australian Olympic broadcaster) is being biased. So far all the stuff I've seen is Australia beating the US. Tabletennis was funny, the Asian on the American side kept missing Reverse smashes and lost 4-1 sets. Go the Aussies :)

aznkkfan
15-08-2004, 02:30 AM
michael phelps won gold! whoo hoo! i'm for US (even though we're kinda bad) but i'm not really on a country's side. of course i care if we win or not, but i just watch the events i like.

by the way(this is for the americans), at the end of the opening ceremony they were talking about the us competitors. did anyone notice that they were playing POTC theme song? just wondering

frodo1511
15-08-2004, 02:34 AM
by the way(this is for the americans), at the end of the opening ceremony they were talking about the us competitors. did anyone notice that they were playing POTC theme song? just wondering

By the way, at the beginning of the opening ceramonies, did anyone notice that they were playing Jurassic Park theme song? just wondering.

Yes, I heard it. Quite pissed off at it, since father took the movie with him to Pakistan, can't watch it until October:(

Days_of_Flesh
15-08-2004, 02:36 AM
The Olympics are the penultimate example of sportsmanship.

The ultimate example would be the Olympics if there was such a thing as unbiased judging.

Renegade
15-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Only thing I'll be watching is the US men's basketball team. It actually seems there's a chance they might lose this time around. Besides, no other activity interests me, especially gymnastics.

CFC
15-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Who saw that dude break his finger off on the parallel poles?

deviljet88
15-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Don't like the males gymnastics, its freaky watching very buff and muscly men swinging gracefully on bars and vaults...

Liam
15-08-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm going for Australia, naturally. The swimming will be good. US v. Australia rivalry at its best.

I'll cheer for the Norwegians too. They are lovely people.

deviljet88
15-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Lovely people. Tonight has a lot of swimming, should be nice to see Australia's gold medal count suddenly boosted :)

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Lovely people. Tonight has a lot of swimming, should be nice to see Australia's gold medal count suddenly boosted :)

See...a country with sun and beaches will undoubtably do better at swimming than an island where it always rains :p

I think HOWEVER GB do we've been impressive...with the weather we get out here we're already at a disadvantage :D

frodo1511
15-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Who saw that dude break his finger off on the parallel poles?

I saw that, and it was disgusting. NBC kept replaying the accident, and I was like, "Turn it off, for god's sake!"
...Preety cool really.

Narzys
15-08-2004, 03:58 PM
I think one of the best / most beautiful moments of the opening ceramonies was to see Norh and South Korea together wearing the flag.. if you know what's going on there.

Louie
15-08-2004, 04:06 PM
The U.S. is going to get owned in basketball. :mad:

frodo1511
15-08-2004, 04:13 PM
The U.S. is going to get owned in basketball. :mad:

But the U.S. will own in softball:)

Louie
15-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Indeed they will. They don't even have a baseball team though, that's pathetic.

Kelsey
15-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm excited for equestrian sports (I'm probably the only one). And I want Norway to win in beach volleyball. And last night I got two new crushes and then it went back to one again. Brendan Hansen and Blaine Wilson (I think), and then they showed Blaine up close, and then I was like..k, never mind, plus he's married. But yeah, I saw that guy's finger dislocate...which was *disgusting*.

CFC
15-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow Puerto Rico is spaking the US basketball team. They are up by 19 in the 4th.

Louie
15-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Do I not say that the U.S. was going to get ass-raped?! I am fucking pissed off right now. I didn't expect the U.S. to get a medal, but come on! They got crapped on by Puerto Rico! FUCK! Well maybe this is a good thing, it will show the U.S. that they are no better than everyone else. :icon_mad:

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Wow Puerto Rico is spaking the US basketball team. They are up by 19 in the 4th.

Beaten at a sport you invented...now you know how we feel :D

deviljet88
16-08-2004, 11:38 AM
But the U.S. will own in softball:)
Oh look the US owned the Australian womens softball team 10-0, and the match had to be intervined with the mercy rule lol. We're going to kick you Yanks in other sports though :)

CFC
16-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Womens Beachvolleyball............. might be the best Olympic sport. ;)

hasselbrad
16-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Womens Beachvolleyball............. might be the best Olympic sport. ;)

Best sport, period. Besides mud-wrestling, of course.

Louie
16-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Did anyone see the Chinese, Russians, and Americans screw up big time in the synchronized diving? I am not surprised at how badly the U.S. has done so far in the olympics.

CFC
16-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah 3 gold, 5 silver, and 5 bronze is really bad.

Louie
16-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Okay, so maybe I was being a little dramatic, but the lose yesterday and the lose today have gotten to me a bit.

frodo1511
17-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Oh look the US owned the Australian womens softball team 10-0, and the match had to be intervined with the mercy rule lol. We're going to kick you Yanks in other sports though :)

Yup, Phelps just got beat by Thorpe in the the 200 freestyle, so laugh it up, we'll get you in Badminton!!!

deviljet88
17-08-2004, 08:41 AM
The Chinese might've screwed one or two, but 1. They're leading as I post at 10 gold medals, Australia second at 6 gold. 2. Their female syncronised springboard team got gold, so they don't all suck.

frodo: How many gold medal chances are there in swimming compared to badminton? :P

Its annoying seeing Thorpe being crowned in as Australia's best Olympian... could be true, but its overshadowing the underdog achievers in Australia who are winning medals in sports Australians aren't that interested in.

Pygmalion
17-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hah. I totally agree about Thorpe, if he wasn't a swimmer he'd just be a dork.
I'm not really watching these Olympics, I scrounge whatever I can from the radio, but apparently the Greek opening ceremony made the Sydney one look like a Rock Eisteddfod entry lol

alby
17-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Opening ceremonies were bizarre...the huge "Cauldron" as they liked to call it looked like nothing except an exceptionally long cigarette. For serious.

:icon_lol:

I agree. The torch resembles a joint or a cigarette.

The Olympics are great to watch at times, but I would have preferred if NBC didn't put off Late Night with Conan O'brien to provide coverage of sailing and so on.

deviljet88
17-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Watching a loving couple splashing around in water kissing is MUCH more fun than watching Nikki Webster flying in on ropes.

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 02:00 PM
yeh and Australia is coming second is the gold medal tally!!
aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi....lol

i didn't really like the bjork performance either, can anyone tell me why she was actually performing?

and what's with the complaint made by the US peoplez saying that the reason why they didn't win the swimming race is because the australian crowd was cheering too loud??....

Liam
17-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Its called 'making an excuse for a piss-poor performance'. :D

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 02:29 PM
i know! like if you can't hack it with this many people cheering, how did they deal when the games were in Sydney??...
stupid!

Liam
17-08-2004, 02:33 PM
They smashed us like guitars. Remember?

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 02:43 PM
no not really but still, what there saying is sooo stupid!

Liam
17-08-2004, 02:54 PM
There goes the funny.

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 03:07 PM
awww sorry...

Liam
17-08-2004, 03:16 PM
In the spirit of flogging the Americans in the pool, I'll forgive you.

gracie
17-08-2004, 03:23 PM
well at least our phelps is far more attractive than thorpe...which is really all that counts eh

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 03:27 PM
ok then,
but one thing Ian Thorpe can't always beat is Pieter van den Hoogendband
and i have to say he is a pretty good swimmer

Liam
17-08-2004, 03:27 PM
well at least our phelps is far more attractive than thorpe...which is really all that counts eh

But this is the olympics dear. The only thing that matters is that he didnt win. :D

Mistikle
17-08-2004, 03:31 PM
haha
but i have to agree with both of u
he is kinda cute but it is the olympic so i dont think cuteness counts

frodo1511
17-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Update jet: US tied with the Aussies in Soccer this afternoon, 1-1.

Louie
17-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I heard that Michael Phelps eats like 8-10,000 calories per day.

frodo1511
17-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I heard that Michael Phelps eats like 8-10,000 calories per day.

Wouldn't suprise me one bit, including the fact that he's in 18 events in the olympics(not including the _ amount of heats per event)

Kelsey
18-08-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm so proud of Michael Phelps. He's only 19, so it's not like his one and only chance to beat Ian Thorpe, who's an amazing athlete. I thought Phelps had an awesome attitude, and he stated more than once how much he admires Thorpe. Phelps is a fantastic athlete and seems like a really great, hardworking person. I can't wait for the next Olympics to see how he goes.

And yay for Natalie Coughlin who's from Concord!

gracie
18-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Wouldn't suprise me one bit, including the fact that he's in 18 events in the olympics(not including the _ amount of heats per event)
no its 18 swims-that counts heats. phelps is attractive, thorpe less so, hes also younger- hence more olympics more time to compete, i firmly believe him to be better. just wait

Mistikle
18-08-2004, 07:30 AM
do any of you think Pieter van den Hoogendband is cute?

deviljet88
18-08-2004, 07:51 AM
do any of you think Pieter van den Hoogendband is cute?
He's so ugly. Though Ian Thorpe is even more uglier.

Louie
18-08-2004, 08:30 PM
I never knew you were gay Jet.

That Hoogenband guy looks weird.

frodo1511
18-08-2004, 09:04 PM
no its 18 swims

My bad, I didn't know that the Olympics counted heats in a person's total swims.

UPDATE: US Womens gymnastics team won silver last evening. WE SUCKED, It puzzles me how bad we did.

Pygmalion
18-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Don't like the males gymnastics, its freaky watching very buff and muscly men swinging gracefully on bars and vaults...

Haha. Did you hear Justin Hamilton's comment about olympic gymnasts?
"Either their heads are too big, or their bodies are too small"

ChocolateMoose
20-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Well done to the British girlies who won our first Gold medal in yngling (sp?)

deviljet88
20-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I've got no idea what you're trying to say... yngling hm... Must've been some unknown sport if you Poms won :P US is now equal with China in medal tally, knew they were going to catch up, but not this soon :( Australia still in 4th, they so better win some Atheletic events to get past Japan.

duckula
20-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Yngling is a boat class. Three person crew, new to the olympics.

frodo1511
20-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Well, I guess congradulations are in the order: the US won both male and female gymnastics all arounds over the last two days.

Kelsey
20-08-2004, 11:23 PM
I was really hoping for Svetlana Khorkina to win the All Around Gold, but Carly Patterson did an awesome job, so I wasn't *devestated*. Paul Hamm's win was just so impressive that I didn't even think to be disappointed. I was too focused on being surprised!

frodo1511
21-08-2004, 02:45 AM
I was really hoping for Svetlana Khorkina to win the All Around Gold, but Carly Patterson did an awesome job, so I wasn't *devestated*. Paul Hamm's win was just so impressive that I didn't even think to be disappointed. I was too focused on being surprised!

Yeah, who would've thunk it that the US would win gold in both individual matches? I sure as hell didn't, I was going for China for men, and Ukraine for Women, but suprises are good (some of the time...)

deviljet88
21-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Yay China kicked South Korea's butt in both the Gold and Bronze Medal matches in women's double tabletennis. And Australian Opals (women's basketball team) kicked the Greeks back home. Lauren Jackson is like their most valuable player.

ChocolateMoose
21-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Two Gold medals for Great Britain today in cycling (Bradley Wiggins - Mens Individual Pursuit) and rowing (Matthew Pincent and the team) ... thats Pincent's 4th Olympic Gold! :D

Sarah
21-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I was really hoping for Svetlana Khorkina to win the All Around Gold, but Carly Patterson did an awesome job, so I wasn't *devestated*.

I was gutted for Svetlana, I was rooting for her. Nevertheless, Miss Patterson was fantastic, so I agree with you there.

ChocolateMoose
21-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Todays medals for the Team Great Britain:

Coxless fours final - gold
Finn class - gold
4,000m individual pursuit cycling - gold
Horse rider Leslie Law - got upgraded to a gold
British equestrian Team - Silver
Pippa Funnell (equestrian) - bronze.
Woman's coxless pairs - silver
Woman's double sculls - bronze
Men's 470 class - silver
Men's 1500m.- bronze

:D

Kelsey
21-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Did Great Britain equestrian team get the team silver for dressage?

duckula
21-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Yep. Just waiting on IOC verification. We won the individual gold aswell.

Kelsey
21-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Cool, I didn't get to watch it, but you guys have awesome riders. Did Germany get team gold? Just a guess...they always seem to do really well in dressage...
And also, does anyone know if they're done with x-country yet? Hopefully not, because I want to watch it.

duckula
21-08-2004, 11:01 PM
The French won the team event. Germany were the ones penalised (specifically rider Bettina Hoye). The x-country for the three day eventing is done but if they do a seperate one then it hasn't been done yet (I don't believe).

Hazzle
22-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Oh and it's not just Pinsent's fourth Olympic gold but they were all won in a row I believe, a feat which he is the first to do in ANY event.

Team GB is doing nicely so it seems...not been able to keep up with our Olympic athletes as I've been watching our cricketers and footballers.

CFC
22-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I am not watching very much of the Olympics because NBC's coverage sucks. I did manage to watch our basketball team lose.......again.

likemehelmet
22-08-2004, 10:42 AM
go uk
wooo

deviljet88
22-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Go Aus wooo! Tobi Henry (sp), she's a legend, 2 or 3 World Records, 3 gold medals in her first ever Olympics. Its like 5 life time achievements stuck into a week, lucky her. Ian Thorpe can go suck balls compared to her.

frodo1511
22-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Well, I'm officially done watching the olympics, I can't STAND track and field, I find it so boring. I come for the swimming, but stay for the closing ceramonies.

Mistikle
22-08-2004, 03:44 PM
well i reckon the Aussie women's basketball team is doind pretty well this time!!
go girls! Penny Taylor and Lauren Jackson!!!!! go!!

and now that the swimming is over, i dont really know what to watch!
congrats to the aussie girls who won the Women’s 4 x 100m Medley Relay and set a new World record with a time of 3:57.32. and also to Grant Hackett set a new Olympic Record by finishing first with a time of 14:43.40. !!!

Sarah
22-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Poor Paula Radcliffe! I'm so gutted for her!

frodo1511
22-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Poor Paula Radcliffe! I'm so gutted for her!

Oh I know! I was watching the women's marathon, and with only 3 miles to go, she just stopped. I'm depressed, but happy at the same time, because an Ethiopian or Kenyan didn't win( it was some Japaneese chick) but, hey, she lasted longer than any of us could:)

Pygmalion
23-08-2004, 03:50 AM
I am MOST gutted with the Wayne Train Arthur's attempt in the tennis. I mean to be beaten by a FRENCHMAN. Tch.

PS All Aboard the Wayne Train!!

deviljet88
23-08-2004, 08:18 AM
*jumps aboard the Wayne Train* Better than the bastard Hewitt, who's won some ATP thing while he's been slacking it off on the Australian front. If he wasn't our best tennis player, he would've been branded un-Australian. Damn Adelaide boy thinks he's soo good...

Hazzle
23-08-2004, 09:37 AM
He is so good :p We'll have him if you don't want him...has to be better than Timbo.

deviljet88
23-08-2004, 10:55 AM
We'll swap him for... Johnny Wilkinson? Only English sportstar I can come up with who doesn't play football/soccer.

Hazzle
23-08-2004, 01:37 PM
We'll swap him for... Johnny Wilkinson? Only English sportstar I can come up with who doesn't play football/soccer.

No fucking way.

apoggy
23-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Spam!

In other news well done Britain for moving up the medal table.

Mistikle
24-08-2004, 02:54 PM
yeh but the aussie's are 4th!!

PhoeniX
24-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Did anyone else watch Kelly Holmes that was the best race. Ever

frodo1511
24-08-2004, 09:56 PM
well, Iraq's dreams of stardom have crashed, loosing to Paraguay in the Semi's. Too bad, I thought they could go all the way... :mad:

Mistikle
26-08-2004, 02:14 PM
i agree... it would have been nice to see them win the whole thing! to show the world they're not all big bad guys! but maybe just being there did kinda show everyone that they can also be known as great sports people!!

ChocolateMoose
26-08-2004, 03:27 PM
In other news well done Britain for moving up the medal table.

And back down again :( Korea has overtaken....GB is now in 12th place.

http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals

slimgopey
26-08-2004, 03:44 PM
yeah! canada... hoorah.. 7 medals... celebrate. :p