PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Hurricane!

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Another weekend, shot to shit. Hurricane Charley is bearing down on us and, barring a miracle, I'll probably be evacuating. Which means spending all weekend at work. The office isn't in an evacuation zone.
We're looking at 100mph winds. If it goes inland south of Tampa Bay, it'll suck all the water out and the only damage will be from the winds. If it goes inland north of Tampa Bay, new carpet!
Shit. TV news is saying that it may become a category 3 (110mph).
Anybody else ever lived through a natural disaster?

Sarah
12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Thats scary. I've lived through a natural disaster, when I was 5 I wet the bed.

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Thats scary. I've lived through a natural disaster, when I was 5 I wet the bed.
Electric blanket? :icon_surp

Richard
12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I could go for a natural disaster, anything that would beat this heat. Then again this is California.

Haz, I'm bitching about the whether. :icon_popc

DefyingGravity
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
That IS scary. Man, I'm sorry, good luck. I hope you don't die.

And yes, I've lived through a natural disaster, my house was hit by the May 3rd tornado in 1999 in Oklahoma.

frodo1511
12-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I rode a school bus almost through a tornado in St. Louis about 9 years ago. My mom was at home, and said that the tornado missed our house/neighborhood by a mile at the most.
Hey, does a blizzard count? I've been through on that knocked out the power for 2 days, freezing my ass off. Not fun, but not NEARLY cold enough to stop playing outside!

Mandy
12-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I live in Kansas...we get lots of tornadoes.

One year, the year we moved out of the country, we went to get things done at our old house. We had a water pump outside that had a hose connected to it. I can't remember what we were using it for, but we were using it nonetheless.

Our county was also issued a Tornado Watch so we figured it a good idea to pack up and get home as soon as we could. We got onto the road ("we" as in my mother and i) and suddenly my mother realized she'd left the hose on. She got out of the van and started walking towards it (walking west). I realized how bad the weather was getting and how windy it was; so bad it was moving the van. Suddenly I look to the East and I see this tornado coming our direction. Of course my mom didn't see it-her back was to it. So I run out of the van and towards my mother, and yelled and yelled at her. For those of you who don't know me, my mother is deaf, so of course she didn't hear a word of what I was yelling. I actually ran as fast as I could towards her, got her attention and made her see that if we didn't leave at that very moment, we were gonna be flung upon the garage. She quickly turned off the water and we both ran back to the van.

As we drove away, I could see the tornado dissipate back into the sky.

Biggest adrenaline rush of my life.

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I hope I don't have any stories as exciting as those. I hope I don't die, either.

keira_lover
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
The most memorable natural disaster (if you can call it that) that I've experienced was a lightning storm that happened one night almost a year ago. It started at around 11 o' clock and lasted for a couple of hours. Now I know what your thinking, a lightning storm, that's it? but you really had to see it to believe it. There was literally so much lightning in the sky that when you looked outside you could have sworn it was midday. The lightning was also VERY low to the ground. I saw a few directly over my house that looked like they were maybe 50-100 feet up. An apartment building in the middle of town was actually struck by the lightning (everyone got out safely and no one was severely injured). It was really the most beautiful and humbling thing I've ever seen in my life (the lightning show, not the apartment building).

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Lightning storms get really bad here. Tampa is the lightning capital of the world. The other day, on the way home, lightning was striking so close, that I could see the tiny sparks surrounding the strikes. It was eerie.

Hazzle
12-08-2004, 10:25 PM
I was a little kid when we had the hurricane in 1987(Michael Fish making a name for himself for ALL the wrong reasons) and the flooding that followed was kinda cool...

I nearly got blown away by a gale force wind as a little kid...and we had that sort of mini earthquake thing a while back which, being the insomniac I am, I was awake for...was a mild tremor...felt it, was sort of like the house had been shoved by a super strong wind and then regained its balance but hardly much movement...was cool rather than scary :p

Natural disasters ARE cool kids :D

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 11:13 PM
I live in San Francisco, probably one of the most temperately climated cities in the entire world. In that case, I have never borne witness to any natural disasters, though I would think the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake bit us in the butt. I hardly remember that, though. I do remember the Giants losing the World Series, though. (They stopped the series for three days, and what do the Giants do? They put in their no. 3 and no. 4 pitchers, even when our no. 1 and no. 2 pitchers are at full strength. What do the Athletics do? They have their no. 1 and no. 2 pitchers healthy and ready to pitch again, so they bring those two out. Lights out. They win. We suck.)

Kelsey
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
I was two years old at the time and can still remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake like it was yesterday. I remember being at pre-school (in the Bay Area so I was where we felt it really,really well) and running to get under the slide. I remember everyone's parents and nannies coming to get them, but they couldn't get a hold of my parents. My nanny got caught in major traffic and my dad's assistant had to come pick me up. I was freaking out, and it was horrible, yet I didn't even realize just how horrible it all was, and what it was I had just experienced. In 7th grade science we had to watch a video about it while studying natural disasters, and only then did I realize how huge a deal it all was.

Renegade
13-08-2004, 12:34 AM
My parents tell me I was born the day of an earthquake. Don't know if it's true though. Me thinks they say it to make me feel special :(

I live in California so I've had my share of earthquakes, though I think I'm too young to remember any of them.

Vertical Vortex
13-08-2004, 01:27 AM
I live in Holland... the worst disaster we have here is rain (and that is often :mad: grmbl!)

Narg
13-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Well, i live in Australia, kick ass country, never experianced a natural disaster ever. :D.

alby
13-08-2004, 02:57 AM
I was two years old at the time and can still remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake like it was yesterday. I remember being at pre-school (in the Bay Area so I was where we felt it really,really well) and running to get under the slide. I remember everyone's parents and nannies coming to get them, but they couldn't get a hold of my parents. My nanny got caught in major traffic and my dad's assistant had to come pick me up. I was freaking out, and it was horrible, yet I didn't even realize just how horrible it all was, and what it was I had just experienced. In 7th grade science we had to watch a video about it while studying natural disasters, and only then did I realize how huge a deal it all was.

I remember that one. My sister's cat die the day before.

Mandy
13-08-2004, 07:08 AM
I remember that one. My sister's cat die the day before.

I hardly think that's considered a "natural disaster." ;)

hasselbrad
13-08-2004, 06:24 PM
...over this hurricane. It looks like it's going inland south of us. That's the good news, because it's going to suck all of the water out of the bay. Bad news is it's a Category 4, and looks like it's going to pass between Tampa and Orlando (45 miles or so east) packing winds in the 120 mph range.
Oh well, wind damage is better than knee deep water. Can't go home though because they've cut the water off in evacuation zones A, B and C. I live in A.
The real irony is that most of the evacuees are now directly in the path of the hurricane.

frodo1511
14-08-2004, 12:10 AM
boy that sucks hassle. Everyone here at KKW wishes you a safe "adventure" and hopes that you will make it through alive.
...or, many of us do, don't know about a few of us...

Louie
15-08-2004, 04:12 PM
My aunt and uncle's house got destroyed. :icon_frow

Kelsey
15-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Awww, Louie I'm sorry, that's horrible. I hope everyone there is okay now...it's horrible watching the news.

Louie
15-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I think they are going to be staying at some shelter for a couple of weeks until their house is rebuilt. I was kind of exaggerating though, like half the house was destroyed. A lot of electricians from Georgia have been coming down and helping though, so it's all good.

hasselbrad
16-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Louie,
Where do your aunt and uncle live? I hope all else is well for them.

We lucked out big time. At 11:00 AM, we thought for all the world that we were going to get hammered. It was remarkable how quickly it intensified. The only saving grace for Charlotte County was that the eye was so tight, that it didn't pack the storm surge that was expected.

Louie
16-08-2004, 09:35 PM
They live in Ft.Myers; not a very happy place right now.

hasselbrad
16-08-2004, 09:45 PM
...they're in our prayers.
I can't imagine what they must be going through right now.

alby
17-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I hardly think that's considered a "natural disaster." ;)

No, I never said it did. It was simply a detail I remembered before the deep plunge, so to speak.