PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Movies..or is it?

Spire
12-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Yeah, it's another list thread, cry about it.

What are the Top 5 Movies, in you opinion? But ah, before you post, let me tack on an additional rule. They can't be high-grossing or "mainstream". What this means is that stuff everyone has seen (aka LotR, Matrix, Star Wars, Kill Bill, etc.) is excluded. I'm talkin' underground, sleeper films. Not too underground though, something you'd be able to find at Blockbuster or you local video store. Foreign films are encouraged.

BTW, my list in no particular order.

1. Battle Royale -

If you can find this masterpiece, I highly reccomend you rent it. Famous for it's violence, the film is a classic for the ideas it puts forth. Friends and classmates forced to fight and kill each other sounds cheesy, but the emotional weight the film carries really makes you think. Besides have one of the coolest characters ever, it has some great action scenes and very brutal moments. Japanese cinema at it's best.

2. A Clockwork Orange -

Hardly underground, but a lot of people have yet to see it yet. One of Stanley Kubrick's best, this mind-trip of a film suggests some pretty twisted things and covers the always-loved topic of ultra-violence. A wonderful British film, this film is just great. I don't want to give anything away, so just go watch it.

3. Big Trouble in Little China -

I'm kinda iffy about putting this one on the list, but I'll go ahead and do it. I'd have thought everyone would have seen this film, but to my surprise, not many have. Shame really, it's a classic. It's a goofball action movie with some pretty crazy crap going down. Still, it's very hard not to love and the best Kurt Russell movie ever made. If you haven't seen this one, Blockbuster is almost guarenteed to have it tucked away some where.

4. Donnie Darko -

If you've been on the IRC channel lately, you've probably heard a lot about this one, if not, you may not of heard of it. It was made with a $4 million budget (which is extremely small) and released in 2001 with little fanfare. Thankfully, it's developed a cult following and was recently re-released in American theaters. I can't really lump this film into a genre, since it's a mish-mash of everything. Check out the DVD for some nice special features that help explain the film's twisted plot.

5. The Usual Suspects -

Now bear with me, I'm sure a lot of you here have already seen this one, but everyone I talk too hasn't seen this. It's just a great movie, it's one of those that gets lost in amidst the never-ending ocean of mediocre thrillers and murder mysteries on the video store shelves. If for some reason you haven't watched this movie, go do it now. It's a trip.

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 07:02 AM
5) Monty Python and the Holy Grail - This is the most intelligently written slapstick ever created by the hands and minds of man. From the Knights Who Say 'Ni' to Castle Anthrax to Brave Sir Robin, we are introduced into the wacky world of the Monty Python comedy troupe, whose incredulous and stupid humor can only be made by Oxford and Cambridge majors.

4) Swingers - If you haven't seen this movie, then tough beans. It's a superbly written movie, chock-full of comedy genius. And of course, it's the movie that introduces us to Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, and Ron Livingston - and odd to think that they all are still using the same personality style that they brought to Swingers. Man, I wish I was money. But I am...I really am...

3) Seven Samurai - Kurosawa's best work. Mifune at his arrogant and vainglorious best. And in the end, the best 4-hour movie you will ever see, bar none. What does it mean to be noble? What does it mean to be good? What does it mean to be...samurai? It is not class or a queue. It is not a sword that makes a samurai, but the samurai who makes the sword. It's movies like this that make me wish I had a more adventurous life.

2) Roman Holiday - When you want two actors for a romantic movie, of whom would you think? Hanks and Ryan? No, my friends, Hepburn and Peck. Audrey's tangible beauty and Gregory's respectful presence add to the flair and integrity of this film. And it's a fantastical story with an ending that will leave you in tears...only if you're that kind of person. Of course, the entire premise of princess-meets-commoner has been hackneyed into little bits by such movies as "The Prince & Me" and "The Princess Diaries", not to mention "Chasing Liberty" and other modern-day movies involving a president's daughter. But neither Julia Stiles nor Mandy Moore can match the singular elegance of Audrey Hepburn, and if you want to compare any current actor versus Gregory Peck, you must be out of your mind.

1) Star Wars, Episode VI: The Empire Strikes Back - 'Nuff said; this movie is a classic, bar none. If you cannot respect the depth of science fiction at its finest, then you, my fellow posters, do not know what it is like to sit at the edge of your seat and wonder, "Is Vader bluffing? Is he really Luke's father?" This movie has it all - wit, romance, intrigue, drama, all with a tinge of interstellar rebellion. And we are even left with a cliffhanger. How will they save Han? Can they save Han? And what about Vader? And Luke's training? Combining the beliefs of Buddhism with Kurosawa-instilled plotlines and science fiction/fantasy twists, the entire trilogy is superb, but TESB is the best of the three.

Spire
12-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Seven Samurai is a classic, the American western "The Magnificent Seven" is actually based off of that film. ESB is a brilliant film, the final lightsaber battle just has this awesome atmosphere to it, crawling through the dark underbelly of a giant city, it's just great.

Pygmalion
12-08-2004, 08:16 AM
In no particular order

Kill Bill
You all should know the plot of this movie, I like the 1st one best, less talking, more BLOOD.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
I love this movie for its comic value. its SO 70's and SO random-Franklin is SO annoying and the plot is So twisted! PLUS the camrea kept zooming in on the lead girl's eye! By the way. If anybody can tell me WHERE the truckdriver in the yellow shirt went in the final scene I'd be delighted to know...

donnie darko
See above lol

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Two drag-queens and a transexual contract to perform a drag show at a resort in Alice Springs, a resort town in the remote Australian desert. They head west from Sydney aboard their lavender bus, Priscilla. En route, it is discovered that the woman they've contracted with is Anthony's (one of the queens) wife. Their bus breaks down, and is repaired by Bob, who travels on with them.

Good Bye Lenin!
East Germany, the year 1989: A young man protests against the regime. His mother watches the police arresting him and suffers a heart attack and falls into a coma. Some months later, the GDR does not exist anymore and the mother awakes. Since she has to avoid every excitement, the son tries to set up the GDR again for her in their flat. But the world has changed a lot...

Nick
12-08-2004, 08:45 AM
1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: I know this has already been put up, but I agree it's a great movie so it deserves two votes.

2. Monty Python and the Meaning of Life

3. Monty Python and the Life of Brain: As you can tell I'm a huge Monty Python fan, everyone should see all three of their movies.

4. Mr. Bean: Hilarious movie even though he doesn't talk through the whole thing, it's the way he acts it out that makes it funny. If you think about it that guy's got to be a pretty good actor to be so funny without even uttering a word.

And of course everyone's perennial favorite, Bend it Like Beckham! I can't believe no one's mentioned this one yet, shame on you all, you call yoursleves Keira fans!?

DefyingGravity
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Harriet the Spy? lol I remember that movie...

1. Spirited Away

Hayao Miyazaki did it again. He created yet another masterpiece in Japanese animation. Not to mention that the soundtrack is incredible.

2. Princess Mononoke

See above.

3. Donnie Darko

Read what Spire wrote. If you haven't seen it, go rent it or something. Now.

4. Ed Wood

What can I say? This is a classic. You mix the direction of Tim Burton and toss in Johnny Depp as a lead, you get an enigma.

Again, I'm too lazy to think of a fifth one.

Sarah
12-08-2004, 01:11 PM
And of course everyone's perennial favorite, Bend it Like Beckham! I can't believe no one's mentioned this one yet, shame on you all, you call yoursleves Keira fans!?

Thats because Bend It Like Beckham is shit.

My favourites:

1) The Empire Strikes Back ^ see above.
2) Donnie Darko (saw it for the first time just a week ago. LOVE IT)
3) The Great Escape (I have a thing about Steve McQueen)
4) cant be bothered to think
5) " " " " " " " "

Narg
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
1. Donnie Darko
Insane movie, a real head screwer, in the last 30mins of this movie i couldnt take my eyes of the screen, the writing is excellent, really makes the viewer think, and think HARD. I watched it 2 times and still didnt understand it completely, after some internet research, and reading a short book on it, i came to the realisation that i understand it, i think. There are LOTS of hidden meanings in this movie also, and a stack of profound religious mentions aswell. Plus the sound track rocked.

2. 12 Monkeys
Another head screwer, with some very good acting coming from brad pitt, and Bruce Willis, loved the theme they took on the technology, everything looked like somthing out of a 1950's sci fi ( if there ever was such a thing ), very good story line, and a complete and total head fuck. Loved it.

3. Gattaca
"Futuristic story of a genetically imperfect man and his seemingly unobtainable goal to travel in space" Basically sums it up, its scary to think of how in-human we could become, and how inferior the human race is, very good movie with more controversiality than a michael moore movie, loved every second of it.

4. Back to the Future
What can i say ?, i was a fan of BTTF since i was a child, aparently i went through a stage were i would only answer to "marty", My mother kept a painting from pre-school in which i wrote my name as "marty", he was a childhood hero for me (a cool calm time traveling normal looking guy, who gets all the chicks and beats up the bullies!), haha, funny, intelligent, and the trilogy didnt get worse as each sequal came out, which is saying alot for most of todays trilogy's *cought* matrix.

5. Cube
Another movie that requires you to think, total-head-fuck, if you will. Im going to steal part of another review because it sums the movie up perfectly.
"The conception is brilliant. The sets are Shakespearian, with no props, essentially no costumes. In fact, essentially the whole film is in ostensibly different, but identical small rooms. It is all pure drama which hinges less on what you see, instead the situation that is created by dialog. The center of this film is built in your imagination, on incomplete fragments rattling around in there -- paranoid fragments about the nature of fate, trust and a society allied against you."

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
1. Dazed and Confused
Best high school movie, ever. Dismissed early on as just a silly
stoner movie, it bombed in theaters. However, most critcs completely
missed the point. The movie wasn't just about getting wasted on the last
day of school, but rather the rites of passage involved in being a teenager.
This movie has an incredible cast; Matthew McConaughey, Jason London,
Joey Lauren Adams, Rory Cochrane, Milla Jovovich, Adam Goldberg,
Anthony Rapp and some hack by the name of Ben Affleck. I cannot wait
for the special edition DVD of this to come out.

2. Chasing Amy
I like this film the best out of the Kevin Smith catalogue. Smartly written
and acted. Probably his finest work. And, hey, look...Joey Lauren Adams
and Ben Affleck. Again. Jason Lee is fucking hysterical in this movie.

3. Bend it Like Beckham
I can watch this movie over and over, and not just because of Keira. It is
another very well written film. Very funny (and I know I miss a lot of the
jokes because I am a Yank).

4. Clerks
Another Kevin Smith film? Noticing a pattern? Yes, he is probably my
favorite writer/director. His visual style leaves a lot to be desired, but his
keen ear for dialogue more than makes up for it. Classic movie.

5. 1941
This film is a classic comedy. Absolutely hysterical. John Belushi (coked
out of his mind), Dan Ackroyd and John Candy are golden. Robert Stack's
portrayal of General "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell ranks as one of the funniest
"straight" characters that I have ever seen.

kilyncw
12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
momento is a great great flick

and anything by kevin smith: clerks, mallrats, chasing amy, dogma, jay & silent bob strike back, and although it was a good movie not what i expected from kevin smith but jersey girl.
________
LovelyWendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

duckula
12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Two Lists. Because I can.

List 1:

1. True Romance.
2. Resevoir Dogs.
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Jackie Brown.
5. Kill Bill.

List 2.

1. Heat.
2. Clerks.
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
4. Battle Royale.
5. The Big Lebowski.

Not personally definitive. Just today's Jesus JuJu (tm).

hasselbrad
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Two Lists. Because I can.

List 1:

1. True Romance.
2. Resevoir Dogs.
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Jackie Brown.
5. Kill Bill.

List 2.

1. Heat.
2. Clerks.
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
4. Battle Royale.
5. The Big Lebowski.

Not personally definitive. Just today's Jesus JuJu (tm).

Excellent choices...as if I would expect any less from the son of God. :)

CFC
12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Fight Club
Memento
Boondock Saints
Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels/Snatch
Trainspotting (Since LOTR was banned)

no real order.

Sarah
12-08-2004, 03:30 PM
5. Cube
Another movie that requires you to think, total-head-fuck, if you will. Im going to steal part of another review because it sums the movie up perfectly.
"The conception is brilliant. The sets are Shakespearian, with no props, essentially no costumes. In fact, essentially the whole film is in ostensibly different, but identical small rooms. It is all pure drama which hinges less on what you see, instead the situation that is created by dialog. The center of this film is built in your imagination, on incomplete fragments rattling around in there -- paranoid fragments about the nature of fate, trust and a society allied against you."

Oh my God. Are you telling me that I'm not the only person who has seen that film and utterly loved it? It is brilliant. I caught the last 10 minutes of CUBE 2 on the Sci-Fi channel the other day, and it tried up a few loose ends. Example: Who the fuck built the thing?

Hazzle
12-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I've seen one reference to LOTR and two to Star Wars...numerous Kill Bill references...I'm just going to ask that you read the first post again...and be aware of the rules set for this thread by its creator.

Those three films were all listed as banned :D

Jacoby
12-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Requiem For a Dream: Best movie ever. Oh, the power and intensity...as well as stellar performances from Leto, Connelly, Burstyn, and even Wayans. If you haven't seen this movie..go now and rent it. Drugs will fuck up your life up. 'Nuff said.

Dazed and Confused: God knows how many times I've watched that movie:...24 times. I could watch this movie over and over. Hasselbrad knows.

Donnie Darko: ....

In America: What an amazing story. Well acted and scripted....so touching.

Frequency: Holy shit, I've almost forgot about this movie. What a genius idea: A man (in his late 20's) is able to communicate with his father in the past (of 20 years) to try and help his mom from being murdered. What a great under-rated movie (add that to the 'under-rated movies' thread.) Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel were amazing in this film...go see it if you haven't already.

// Oh, I forgot to mention the animated movie 'The Iron Giant'...best movie made for kids ever.

Richard
12-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Halloween
Truly a classic masterpiece created by the legendary John Carpenter. The original modern-day horror film that set the precedent for everything that followed. Not only is this the best slasher flick in history, but one of the few horror films that have an unbelievable score.

The Return Of The Living Dead
Influential Cult Classic. In my opinion, possibly the second best zombie film ever. Honestly, I challenge anyone to find a "horror-comedy" that delivers laughs, gore, some genuine scares, and combines it with what can only be called the finest acting I've ever seen in a horror-comedy. This film is a hidden treasure in a genre all too often plagued by mediocrity.

The Fifth Element
I don't know how the hell Besson did it. Horrible plot, bad costumes, BEST MOVIE EVER. The choreography was brilliant, as was the acting. Willis is probably the only actor who could do this role so well, same with Milla Jovovich, utterly amazing. This movie offers so many things hardly ever used in film. Besson went out on a limb and created a masterpiece.

Pulp Fiction
What do I need to say? A terrific film. Filled with dynamite action, great dialogue, and awesome characters. One of the greatest movies of the 90s.

The Graduate
I love this film. After reading all the high reviews, I finally watched it. And it lived up to it's reviews and even higher for me. "The Graduate" is a great film that should be watched by everyone. I'm not kidding, I would highly recommend it to anyone. One of the best films to come out of the 60's.

I'm doing one more, get over it.

The Lost Boys
The Lost Boys has got to be one of the best teenage vampire movies of all time. It was afterall the first movie of the genre to create a stylish, sexy gang of vampires who invole themselves in the contemporary teenage lifestyle. This strayed from the stereotypical idea of the conservative lone vampire which had dominated most movies in the genre around that era. The characters are unique and interesting adding more depth to the plot. This is some of the casts best work ever. Highly recommended.

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
The Lost Boys[/B]
The Lost Boys has got to be one of the best teenage vampire movies of all time. It was afterall the first movie of the genre to create a stylish, sexy gang of vampires who invole themselves in the contemporary teenage lifestyle. This strayed from the stereotypical idea of the conservative lone vampire which had dominated most movies in the genre around that era. The characters are unique and interesting adding more depth to the plot. This is some of the casts best work ever. Highly recommended.

But how many 'teenage vampire movies' are there?

I'll add some honorable mentions:

Rounders - Matt Damon and Edward Norton, with John Malkovich as Teddy KGB. It's a poker player's movie; if you enjoy playing poker, or enjoy watching it, and you haven't seen it, then you honestly don't know what you're talking about. Remember, "in the five minutes you first sit down at a table, if you can't spot the sucker, then you are the sucker."

Leon - Jean Reno and Natalie Portman make an odd couple, but they work the whole "not Lolita but still kind of" angle to perfection, and Gary Oldman is just fucking brilliant as the headcase of a corrupt cop. All the performances are top-notch in this film. I've also heard they might make a sequel, with Portman as the new Professional.

The Road Home - One of the countless Zhang Yimou movies that are endlessly considered in international film festivals. This movie marks the full-screen debut of Zhang Ziyi, who is probably the most recognizable Chinese ingenue of her day, and even at 18 years of age, can approach a role with so little dialogue with as much emotion as a lightning storm. When you see her cry, the futility of her unrequited love can bring a pro wrestler to his knees and beg for mercy.

Hero - Yes, another Zhang Yimou movie, and this one uses lush colors just as well, if not better, than The Road Home. When you have Jet Li, Tony Leung, Donnie Yen, Maggie Cheung, and Zhang Ziyi in a Yimou-directed movie, you know you have something special. And the fight scenes put Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to shame.

All For The Winner (Saint of Gamblers) - To complete the trifecta of Chinese movies, I give you the funniest movie to come out of the late 80s. The first big role for Stephen Chow, who is respectfully known as the greatest Hong Kong comedic actor EVER, and it involves poker, of all things. Classic.

Kelsey
13-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Lost in Translation
Girl With a Pearl Earring
Ghost World (one of the best scripts ever!)
Napoleon Dynamite
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Richard
13-08-2004, 01:10 AM
But how many 'teenage vampire movies' are there?

Other than Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the movie... I'd say none worth talking about.

Oh, I forgot the omega of them all.

Phantasm
Phantasm is like one of those ABC-after-school specials that used to show in the 80's laced with gore, scares, and a WHOLE lotta fun. It's filled with surreal off-beat images and Coscarelli sets a wonderful atmosphere in the movie. What scarier place can one conceive of other than a mortuary and its cemetery. Very highly recommended.

MC117
13-08-2004, 03:10 AM
1- Black Hawk Down
2- The Evil Dead
3- Saving Privat Ryan
4- The Pianist
5- We Were Soldiers

Narg
13-08-2004, 03:58 AM
Oh my God. Are you telling me that I'm not the only person who has seen that film and utterly loved it? It is brilliant. I caught the last 10 minutes of CUBE 2 on the Sci-Fi channel the other day, and it tried up a few loose ends. Example: Who the fuck built the thing?

Yes, i thought it was awsome too, Cube 2, wtf!, /me goes googling.

mufiman
13-08-2004, 04:10 AM
i typed up my top 5 and had everything written and then my comp crashed. too lazy to write it over

no order:
fight club
american psycho
se7en
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
american history x

other favorites:
psycho
donnie darko
heat
ed wood
goodfellas.

EmotionSickness
13-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Richard: Re: the Phantasm comments. Yes, that's a brilliant horror flick. The Tall Man is one of the best 'bad guys' ever, I think. "Boy!"

As for my top five, well, that's impossible for me to choose, so I'll just give a short list of some of my favorites (in no particular order) ...

The Sound of Music -- this was the first movie I can remember watching as a little girl. We have video of me at about age 3 running around my living room, quoting each and every line and song lyric! I thought I was Maria von Trapp. But, seriously ... this is a classic. Rodgers and Hammerstein at their best.

The Wizard of Oz -- another childhood gem of mine. What little girl didn't simply adore this movie? It's a true classic that has definitely stood the test of time.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Monty Python's the Meaning of Life/Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different -- I know it's unfair to lump these all together, but I'd be sitting here forever writing about just how brilliant each of these films are. Simply put: John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam are the best comedic team ever assembled and are some of the best comedians -- no, the best performers, period -- to ever walk this earth.

A Hard Day's Night/Help -- both of these are contemporary films starring none other than the Fab Four. A lot of people will write them off as dinky little pop films starring dated pop stars, but if you actually sit down and watch them, you'll discover just how well made (especially A Hard Day's Night) and absolutely hilarious these movies are. The Beatles really were comedians at heart.

Midnight Cowboy -- this has got to be one of the saddest, most depressing films I've ever seen. One of the most well-acted, too. Dustin Hoffman is absolutely brilliant (and he truly tugs at your heart strings) as Ratso Rizzo. The biggest shocker of its time, this film was originally given an X rating (and the very first X rating, at that) when it debuted in theaters in 1969 (it has since been reduced to an R rating). I tend to favor those films that make me cry (the more, the better) and, needless to say, this one definitely did.

The Deer Hunter -- one of the most superb and talented ensemble casts I can think of: DeNiro, Walken and Streep. This seemingly quiet film, which relies heavily on the majestic landscape imagery, is another heart-breaker. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. Ohh, the music is really beautiful as well.

Breakfast at Tiffany's -- Holly Golightly is my hero! This is probably my favorite Audrey Hepburn film (though Roman Holiday and Funny Face are close-seconds). This is Audrey at her best and most beautiful, I think. Blake Edwards is one of my favorite directors and you've just got to love the chemistry between Hepburn and Peppard. I just love everything about this movie. Ohh, and "Moon River" is one of the most beautiful songs ever to be featured in a film; I'm so glad they let Audrey use her own singing voice in this one (it was dubbed over in My Fair Lady), it's just beautiful.

Other favorites near and dear to my heart (it's late, so I can't be bothered typing a lenghty summary up at the mo ...)

-The Professional (a.k.a. Leon, as someone else called it, even though it was never released under that title in the U.S.)
- Bend It Like Beckham (this film was not total shit for me; quite the opposite. I think it's one of my own ultimate feel-good films. Definitely my favorite of Keira's, so far.)
- The Godfather Part II (I enjoyed this one more than Part I and, let's face it, Goodfellas was better than Part III!)
- Mary Poppins (again, it's a childhood thing)
- Labyrinth (now this film I adored as a kid, but I love it even more now. So strange, but so entertaining and you gotta love David Bowie and his skin-tight trousers! :p)
- Braveheart (having such a strong Scottish background and growing up in this house, I pretty much have to love this movie ... it's a good thing I do, anyway! Brilliantly acted and very true to the tragic and heroic story of William Wallace.)
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (seriously ... who doesn't love this movie? An 80's classic. Cameron Frye was always a personal hero of mine. )

There are many more, but I'm extremely tired, so I'll post more later (maybe).

Sarah
13-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Yes, i thought it was awsome too, Cube 2, wtf!, /me goes googling.

I know! There's no record of Cube 2, thats why it was such a shock to see it on the effing TV!!

EmotionSickness
13-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Cube 2: Hypercube is all over video stores here in the states (it's filed under horror for some reason). I must admit, the first film is a guilty pleasure of mine; gotta love the blatant over-acting! But Cube 2 was complete crap (although I recognized a couple of people from this one -- that Welsh actor and the kid from Billy Madison). Maybe it's because they put a lot more effort into the second one (there are special effects and the film itself is of a much higher quality), so it kind of lost its novelty to me.

Cube: destined to become a modern-day cult classic, Cube 2: total shit.

Narg
13-08-2004, 01:16 PM
err, i think ill stay clear of cube 2, sounds lame from what ive read.

Hazzle
13-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Just a reminder that this is not a discussion of Cube. Thank you :)

Richard
13-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Richard: Re: the Phantasm comments. Yes, that's a brilliant horror flick. The Tall Man is one of the best 'bad guys' ever, I think. "Boy!"

A Hard Day's Night/Help -- both of these are contemporary films starring none other than the Fab Four. A lot of people will write them off as dinky little pop films starring dated pop stars, but if you actually sit down and watch them, you'll discover just how well made (especially A Hard Day's Night) and absolutely hilarious these movies are. The Beatles really were comedians at heart.

Another Tall Man fan. :)

Yes, I absolutely loved A Hard Day's Night. Well made it is, and hilarious at times. The Fab Four make excellent actors. But I'm having a hell of a time trying to find Help. :icon_redf

I gotta mention...

Blade Runner
I just got finished watching this movie last night, and I can safely say for now, that Blade Runner is the best science-fiction picture ever made, and personally, Blade Runner itself is just a superior film. The smog in the future is what stuck to me, and each time I watch the movie on DVD, I get a new sense of the beauty of the film. If one can get past the "darker" scenes - which add perfectly to the story line - the plot is near perfect.

Spire
13-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I didn't like Cube, it felt like it was trying to be smart, but ultimately failed. Besides never explaining why the Cube exists (a lame reason to throw people through random death traps is the real answer), the acting is uninspired, the dialogue laughable in some spots ("Nailed!"), and the ending a horrible attempt at being different. I was totally unimpressed with the Cube.

Hazzle
13-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Let me repeat. This is not a discussion of the cube...just keep it on topic please, ok? It's fine if you tack it onto a discussion of your top 5 indy/smaller movies...but please keep the bulk of your message on topic. Thank you.

Spire
13-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Monty Python's the Meaning of Life/Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different -- I know it's unfair to lump these all together, but I'd be sitting here forever writing about just how brilliant each of these films are. Simply put: John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam are the best comedic team ever assembled and are some of the best comedians -- no, the best performers, period -- to ever walk this earth.

I personally think The Holy Grail is one of the most over-rated movies ever. It was okay, but The Meaning of Life and Life of Brian were a thousand times better. It's definetly the most over-quoted movie ever.

heat

I'm not sure how this movie slipped under the rug, but it did. You'd think a Michael Mann film starring Val Kilmer, Robert De Niro, and Al Pacino would make a huge splash, but this one didn't. I love the film, the ending is spectacular.

Another film I thought I would mention is Rear Window, a Hitchcock film. It's really just a good murder/mystery film, but with some truely creepy moments. It's not the kind of movie that tries to make you scream with fright, it's the kind that gives you goosebumps and makes you hunker down, anticipating the next event with dread.

CFC
13-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Apocalypse Now - I think it is the best movie that invloves Vietnam ever made.

hasselbrad
16-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Apocalypse Now - I think it is the best movie that invloves Vietnam ever made.

I don't know...I've always been partial to Full Metal Jacket.
Conversely, I've always thought that Platoon was more of a cartoon.

Jacoby
16-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I liked Full Metal Jacket more than AN...but I never actually seen all of Apocolypse Now.

I just rented the movie Amelie because this girl told me it was good. We'll see how it is.

Hazzle
16-08-2004, 05:07 PM
I liked Full Metal Jacket more than AN...but I never actually seen all of Apocolypse Now.

I just rented the movie Amelie because this girl told me it was good. We'll see how it is.

Amelie's amazing. You won't be disappointed if you have taste :D

For me AN is better than FMJ too...but both are classics.

Spire
16-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I prefer FMJ, simply because the sargent at the beginning of the movie is incredibly hilarous. After that, FMJ still stands as a war masterpiece though. AN slowed down a lot near the end and has a dreamy, very surreal quality to it for the last half of the movie. While Marlon Brando is spectacular in his role, I was anticipating a bit more from those scenes.

Jacoby
16-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Amelie's amazing. You won't be disappointed if you have taste :D

How dare you question my taste.....Amelie was greeeat. new #3 on the list.

Richard
16-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Nothing beats Full Metal Jacket, and R. Lee Ermey as the sargent - in terms of the Vietnam war. Though Apocalypse Now is a good... long movie, FMJ is just too darn classic for any competition.

But that's enough discussion about FMJ right?

ChocolateMoose
16-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Star Wars - A New Hope: Need I say more?! I think not.
Lord of the Rings - Um...I don't know. (Probably Return of the King as it has a mixture of nice acting and fights, not one or the other like Fellowship and The Tho Towers.)
The Lion King - You have to have a Disney film, lol and its a classic
Se7en - I think its great, well acted and the twist is...excellent. In my opinion. I love it.

Thats 4, I need to think of my final film...

Jacoby
16-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Yes those are good films, but the thread nis focusing on not hugely popular franchises like Star Wars and LOTR.....

CFC
16-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Great movie, did not see it on anybody's list.

Richard
16-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Great movie, did not see it on anybody's list.

Could be because it was over-the-top silly. But I liked it - Depp was bald.

Narg
17-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Seen Butterfly effect yesterday, if you havent seen it already i recomend atleast hiring it, its quite good.

hasselbrad
19-08-2004, 08:48 PM
...to my list. That movie made me laugh out loud. Thora Birch is incredible in the subtlety that she brings to a very over the top character...if that makes any sense. I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it. Has anyone seen it? Heard of it? I guess I should've looked back to see if anyone else has discussed it. Sue me. It's taken #5 away from 1941...which is really a hard thing for me to do. **sniff**

duckula
19-08-2004, 09:05 PM
If you like Ghost World may I suggest the graphic novel on which it is based (Ghost World by Daniel Clowes),

hasselbrad
19-08-2004, 09:09 PM
If you like Ghost World may I suggest the graphic novel on which it is based (Ghost World by Daniel Clowes),

I saw some of the stuff about that. I may have to pick that up.
Is it just me, or could Scarlett Johansson be Laura Prepon's sister? Or would it have to be the other way around? Hmmm.

ChocolateMoose
19-08-2004, 10:50 PM
The Italian Job. The original, British version aka the best. I refuse to watch the American film....some films should just never be made...

Kelsey
20-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Hasselbrad....I'm *so* glad to know I'm not the only one who's thought that Scarlett and Laura look so much alike. Down to similar voices even! The screenplay I've been working on lately is a character driven story about two sisters. I wrote it for the two of them.

And yeah, Ghost World is one of my favorite movies. Some others I thought of after I had already made the list is Manny and Lo and (I think this counts, even though it's not independant, just not as well known) is A Far Off Place. Awesome movies.

And ChocolateMoose....have you ever seen the new version of the Italian Job? You should see it before you declare that it should never have been made.

ChocolateMoose
20-08-2004, 12:40 AM
And ChocolateMoose....have you ever seen the new version of the Italian Job? You should see it before you declare that it should never have been made.

Ok, yes. I shouldn't say that...I'm sorry. I haven't seen the American one. I just don't understand why they felt the need to make another one thats all. Whats wrong with the original?

Jacoby
20-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Ok, yes. I shouldn't say that...I'm sorry. I haven't seen the American one. I just don't understand why they felt the need to make another one thats all. Whats wrong with the original?

It didn't have Marky Mark.

Edit: Oh, and the original was made in 1969. It's just a remake...they do it all the time.

Everyone forgot the movie Rushmore by the way. That movie was genius.

Dyce_Blue
21-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Everyone forgot the movie Rushmore by the way. That movie was genius.

Rushmore was filmed both at my high school, and the one across the street. The crappy one, that's mine. When they show nice shots, that is St. Johns. The rest of the non-school scenes were not filmed in Houston.

Movies...

Supercop- Jackie Chan's best movie. The best stunts to date in a Kung-Fu movie.

Heart of Dragon - Jackie Chan's most emotional performance. He demonstrates actual acting skill and drama prowess.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The original movie tried to portray the darker side of the story, as seen in the comics. The demographic didn't bite, though.

Kingpin- One-handed Woody Harrelson bowling with an Amish Randy Quaid. Everyone had a bad combover, that makes it even funnier.

Napolean Dynamite- The most illogically funny movie I have ever seen.

#6- The Gods Must Be Crazy- Shows the real comedy in cultural difference.

johnnyboy
21-08-2004, 10:44 PM
hmm, tough choices...

In no particular order,

1. Donnie Darko - Saw it a month ago, hasnt left the recesses of my mind. So wildly confusing and intriguing, plus great acting from J. Gyllenhall, and most of the cast, all around fantastic movie.

2. Leon - Watched it, then as the credits rolled i got an overwhelming sense of sadness, fantastic acting from the younger and older counterparts, great story, loved it.

3. Braveheart - What more can I say? Great performance by MEl Gibson, combined with hack'n'slash gore, bloody awesome scotsman movie.

4. Bean - I mean, who doesnt love Mr. Bean? Hilarious, especially the end.

5. Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile - Ill take two for they follow the same sort of vein, great movies, great leads, etc etc, just read above.

Great movies all.

Hazzle
22-08-2004, 02:27 AM
...to my list. That movie made me laugh out loud. Thora Birch is incredible in the subtlety that she brings to a very over the top character...

Thora Birch's performance is a little stilted...personally I preferred Scarlett's...ironic that I got into Scarlett and Keira through Thora Birch films (I was once a fan) in which she disappointed me terribly (leading to me no longer being a fan).

The Italian Job. The original, British version aka the best. I refuse to watch the American film....some films should just never be made...

I've seen the American version...good decision on your part as it's shit. And yes, some films should NEVER be remade...especially with Mark Wahlberg in them (God that guy has ruined TWO remakes now)...the man's been lucky to be in some good films despite his blatant lack of talent...and Charlize Theron was nice to look at but her performance was vapid. Norton was below par, and I'm a fan, and Sutherland was so-so and Seth Green was as shit as you'd expect. Only Statham for me out of the entire cast came off right...

I realise it wasn't supposed to be a proper remake, but this wasn't even a good heist film, leaving aside the remake issue for one moment. The acting was poor, the script was poor, the plot being entirely predictable and the dialogue being cliched and crap. The ONLY thing that made it watchable were the minis...and these were only included to give it some sort of resemblance to the original. Ironic.

Great movies all.

No not all...Braveheart's the most over-rated film of all time, yes, even more than Titanic...and Bean absolutely raped the concept of Mr Bean right up the arse, ruining that innocence about the character that made it funny.

But Jacoby's right...Rushmore rules.

johnnyboy
23-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Fair enough

hasselbrad
25-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Thora Birch's performance is a little stilted...personally I preferred Scarlett's...ironic that I got into Scarlett and Keira through Thora Birch films (I was once a fan) in which she disappointed me terribly (leading to me no longer being a fan).

I don't know...she was a dead ringer for people that I have known like that character. When you are searching for an identity, stilted just kind of happens.
What the fuck am I talking about? Where are my pills?
I, being one of those half-educated (really probably a third...but that's splitting hairs) Yanks who hasn't seen The Hole, noticed that Thora was in that, and while I've heard the name, I'm not sure that I've seen her in anything else. Was she in American Beauty? Is she British?
Oh well, my Old Milwaukee Light's gettin' warm and Springer's about to give me his thought for the day...gotta go!

Kelsey
26-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Yeah, that was Thora Birch in American Beauty. She's not British though. The only things I've liked her in are Ghost World, Hocus Pocus, and American Beauty.

Liam
26-08-2004, 11:31 AM
wtf, I'm replying.

1. Battle of Britain - The ultimate war movie. The air armada assembled for the filming in the 60's made it the worlds 10th largest air force. Hurricanes and Spitfires and Heinkels, oh my. The worlds finest example of aero-porn.

2. Pulp Fiction - Violent and hilarious. You know what I mean.

3. Three Kings - Violent and hilarious. *And* it had Marky Mark.

4. The movie I watched with Cliff about the blind ninja. Fucking fantastic.

hasselbrad
26-08-2004, 01:00 PM
wtf, I'm replying.

1. Battle of Britain - The ultimate war movie. The air armada assembled for the filming in the 60's made it the worlds 10th largest air force. Hurricanes and Spitfires and Heinkels, oh my. The worlds finest example of aero-porn.

I picked a copy of that up a few weeks ago from a bargain bin. It's really weird, but I've seen it in several different places since then. I've managed to see about half of it.

kilyncw
26-08-2004, 01:02 PM
haha, six string samurai, need i say more. that has to be the most fucked up movie i've ever seen.
________
Vaporizer Volcano (http://www.vaporshop.com/volcano-vaporizer.html)

hasselbrad
26-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that was Thora Birch in American Beauty. She's not British though. The only things I've liked her in are Ghost World, Hocus Pocus, and American Beauty.

I watched Ghost World again last night. Funny, funny movie. One of my favorite scenes has got to be the one with Maxine. That's not stilted...that's brilliant comic timing...and may become my new signature.

johnnyboy
26-08-2004, 01:12 PM
4. The movie I watched with Cliff about the blind ninja. Fucking fantastic.

Zatoichi?

Liam
26-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Thats the one.

Object Of Affection
26-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Here's me top 5 ( :Hail: LOTR'S)

1. Battle Royale

Probably one of the best japanese films i have ever seen. The whole plot of this film is kill kill KILL (genuis)

2. Ichi The Killer (film + anime)

This is probably one of the most gorYest films and crazYest films i've seen to date (just so i don't copy what i said.....)

3. Trainspotting

A true classic British film. It has it all Sex/hardcore drug use/ violence/swearing the lot great cast and great story Too.
(Americans muSt WatcH) ... (unless you've seen it allready.... then see it again)

4. Zatoichi

Watched this at the cinema and it blew me away. Considering i thought it would be a load of shiTe. :p

5. Donnie Darko

Had to watch this a few times to finally understand the film :icon_popc
but a true cult classic that has caught on like ..... :icon_conf Yo Yo's
Must watch the EXtenDed version tOO.